• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breakage

People that voted leave who believe that the UK will continue be relevant outside of the EU are in for a shock imo.
It's the arrogance that I find astounding. "England for the English", "we won the war, we don't need anybody else", "we're the 5th largest economy" have been some of the things I've heard coming from leave voters in recent days.
A lot of English leave voters in particular seem to have an inflated opinion of their country's importance on the world stage outside of the EU.
Who will give a fuck about an isolated UK?

Lego Boss

so rumours are Osbourne will resign tomorrow

Where is the thanks GAF we leave voters just bought down a Government you despise...

no need to openly thank us, we know you appreciate it

Yeah cheers.

Now we get a greater lurch to the right with BLOJO, IBS and Gove in some kind of social experiment on the population of the UK.

Yes. Thank you.

- Scotland talking about leaving the UK
- Cameron resigned
- Leave already backtracking on NHS and immigration promises
- No clue who is in charge at the moment
- EU already pushing for Article 50 to get this over with
- Markets are scared
- Companies actively looking for new locations outside the UK
- People have already been fired
- Racist abuse hurled in the streets to immigrants and kids

Looks pretty bad to me. Of course this is two days after the referendum and people are upset, but that this is turning out to be a bad idea seems pretty clear.

Cameron's Nickname on GAF is pig fucker, but now him resigning us bad?

Remain back tracking on punishment budgets and saying things won't be as bad as they said.

Cameron is in charge until his successor takes over.

The rhetoric from the EU, (Those that matter/ are in stealth control) is softening somewhat now the emotions are subsiding.

The markets are scared of their own shadow, never mind the biggest political vote in decades. They are also known for being fickle morons as per the global crash caused by them in 2008. The general consensus on this forum is that the markets wield too much power and needed curbing anyway.

Companies/Countries previously blocked by EU protectionism will be looking to how they can take advantage of the UK market now and vice versa

People are fired/hired every general election where we vote someone different in, particularly in the public sector.

The EU won't stop racism.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Let's get eu trade deals if we can keep the banks goijg we can keep finance and investment and our government can put money to develop areas that is the price we pay leave wins the city wins Scotland wins ajd EU wins .

Can see this Scotland stops it England to transition into Norway model Scotland eu

Most Brexit Voters probably don't know it, but the Norway and Scotland models require them to still abide by all the rules they don't want, allow for the 4 freedoms and pay Brussels. Basically everything will stay the same except that GB loses its voice in Brussels.

I don't think thats what brits want...
My understanding was that they voted that they don't want to abide by EU regulation, don't want to grant free movement, don't want to pay the EU. As a result they won't get a similar trade deal to the ones Norway and Switzerland have. Trade deals like these require the UK to abide by all the things they just voted against.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Lots of Scotland chat on here, so I'll note that Wings Over Scotland have put up an article today: http://wingsoverscotland.com/notes-from-the-madhouse/

More in the article, but understandably focussed on Scottish Independance, which is the site's raison d'etre.

This is more-or-less the way I am thinking, but it is *way* more politically complex than even that diagram shows. Still trying to work it through.

As a Belgian, the "secessionist sentiments" are pretty much entirely coming from an extremely far right (far worse than UKIP) party that gets less than 4% of the votes. This is also a party that all other parties are unable to partner with as an official stance of the government. It's absolutely ludicrous to say that Belgium will block this based on what he's saying.

Audioboxer

Just seen a soundbite on the news with Sturgeon, somewhat paraphrased

"Can you imagine the fury of the English people if you veto"

"Can you imagine the fury of the Scottish people being dragged out of the EU"

She's not holding back any punches.

cilonen

Hmmm... What if we have a devo max Scotland and NI inside the EU turning Edinburgh into a financial powerhouse and England and Wales as third tier EU associate countries tacked on the fringe.

Could we even write a legal framework that would allow for this? Holyrood becomes the EU facing seat of power, essentially the inverse of the relationship Holyrood and Westminster have now.

Not as unacceptable as England controlling us, trust me. If the Better Together campaign think wheeling out the pound argument again will be their ticket to winning... lol.

1. Nobody said it's their "ticket" to winning.

2. You personally may not give a shit, but plenty of people do.

3. It's not clear an independent Scotland would be allowed into the EU at all.

Right now I'm just hoping article 50 is invoked this week. Tomorrow, Tuesday, whatever. Lets just move on.

Right now I hope they just ignore the referendum. Let's just move on.

This is more-or-less the way I am thinking, but it is *way* more politically complex than even that diagram shows. Still trying to work it through.

I always said a second referendum was a certainty, the Norway option will not be accepted by many leave voters, but likely enough to impact second vote. That sort of decision, will be passed to the people, too risky for politicians to decide, it is a bit like a hot potato.

Why did the people cross the border?

To get the fuck out of the UK

Rk2ohHu.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
brexit jokes

- the leave campaign's entire platform
- the leave campaign abandoning their entire platform after winning
- nigel farage, everything nigel farage has ever said

keep em coming

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I like how she ignores the reports that Spain/Belgium would veto an independent Scotland's entry into the EU.

Such political opportunism off the back of tragedy. Obviously the best case scenario is Scotland as part of the UK in the EU. It's not too late for that to still be a reality.

So the reports are just a prediction then. Nothing has actually been said.

Kadayi

Banned
To be fair, it's not that secretive at all - just The Guardian being sensationalist.

Indeed. Seems to have become their modus operandi over the last few years unfortunately. It's one of my go to news resources, but I always find it's beneficial to take anything they say with a large pinch of salt lest it turn out to be alarmist BS.

Rich!

who will invoke Article 50?

yup lol

I don't care. I'm getting sick of this. Regardless of the result, the country voted and a decision was made. Or at least those who bothered to go and make the effort to vote remain like I did.

But fuck democracy, right? let's just shout and swear at everyone, call people who voted leave a bunch of cunts, stamp our feet and let's keep having the referendum over and over and over again, constantly moving the goalposts until it finally goes our way.

Audioboxer

1. Nobody said it's their "ticket" to winning.

2. You personally may not give a shit, but plenty of people do.

3. It's not clear an independent Scotland would be allowed into the EU at all.

Right now I hope they just ignore the referendum. Let's just move on.

Duh, that is what we are working on.

Are you Scottish by the way? Because the English opinion on Scotland being upset about the pound is completely irrelevant. Doesn't matter what the English think for us. We will make our own mind up. It's about time we stop caring what the English tell us is best/force us to do!

Maledict

We don't have a prime minister, we don't have a finance minister. Who the hell is running the country.

Here's the thing. Apart from national crisis, you don't actually need anyone to run the country. Parliament could vanish overnight and the country would continue working as normal for a long time. We don't actually need all the new laws and legislation passed every year. The chancellor doesn't wake up each morning and decide on spending allocations.

Right now, the Bank of England is stabilising the markets (along with other central banks). Germany has signalled they can afford a wait on Brexit. There's actually no governing to be done - everyone wants a breather to digest what is happening.

(Got to also remember, the U.K. Is the most centralised state in the west - Whitehall, and the civil service, runs far more than any other equivalent government system. Things can keep going for a long time through delegated officer decisions if necessary).

Dascu

I like how she ignores the reports that Spain/Belgium would veto an independent Scotland's entry into the EU.

Such political opportunism off the back of tragedy. Obviously the best case scenario is Scotland as part of the UK in the EU. It's not too late for that to still be a reality.

I am Belgian. The claim above is utter nonsense.

E-phonk

Banned
As a Belgian, the "secessionist sentiments" are pretty much entirely coming from an extremely far right (far worse than UKIP) party that gets less than 4% of the votes. This is also a party that all other parties are unable to partner with as an official stance of the government. It's absolutely ludicrous to say that Belgium will block this based on what he's saying.
It is. Nva politicians (currently largest party in belgium) have always been pro scotlands independence - they would be very much in favor.

Anyone who says otherwise doesn't understand belgiums political system.

FuturusX

I could not dig; I dared not rob:
Therefore I lied to please the mob.
Now all my lies are proved untrue
And I must face the men I slew.
What tale shall serve me here among
Mine angry and defrauded young?

Here's the thing. Apart from national crisis, you don't actually need anyone to run the country. Parliament could vanish overnight and the country would continue working as normal for a long time. We don't actually need all the new laws and legislation passed every year. The chancellor doesn't wake up each morning and decide on spending allocations.

Right now, the Bank of England is stabilising the markets (along with other central banks). Germany has signalled they can afford a wait on Brexit. There's actually no governing to be done - everyone wants a breather to digest what is happening.

(Got to also remember, the U.K. Is the most centralised state in the west - Whitehall, and the civil service, runs far more than any other equivalent government system. Things can keep going for a long time through delegated officer decisions if necessary).

National crisis you say?

I don't care. I'm getting sick of this. Regardless of the result, the country voted and a decision was made. Or at least those who bothered to go and make the effort to vote remain like I did.

But fuck democracy, right? let's just shout and swear at everyone, call people who voted leave a bunch of cunts, stamp our feet and let's keep having the referendum over and over and over again, constantly moving the goalposts until it finally goes our way.

I voted Remain too, and I'm fucking furious and worried. I am allowed to be. That won't change with article 50.

Interesting thing about that. It is due to Lord Ashcoft and Isabel Oakeshott in the unauthorised biography of Cameron, Call Me Dave they published.

The same Lord Ashcoft who published this poll used used to discredit leave supporters:
http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/06/how-the-united-kingdom-voted-and-why/

Just a reminder of the power and reach the rich can have.

We don't have a prime minister, we don't have a finance minister. Who the hell is running the country.
Hope I'm not too late:
hqdefault.jpg

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Brexit jokes

Last month, before all this blew up, Nigel Farage was in Brussels - booked into a hotel at a discounted price of €250. On top of that he got, as part of a special deal, cashback of €90.

Of course, he claimed for expenses of €350 because that's the amount of money he "really" "paid".

Told you I was rubbish at jokes.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Yep. That seems to be the position of the 'intelligent' other half.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Labour is what prevented the Scottish vote from going independent last Indy ref, all on the basis of EU membership.
Labour is in disarray, EU membership has been removed from Scotland. There is literally no reason for Scots to not vote for independence now.

Remain back tracking on punishment budgets and saying things won't be as bad as they said.

Cameron is in charge until his successor takes over.

The rhetoric from the EU, (Those that matter/ are in stealth control) is softening somewhat now the emotions are subsiding.

The markets are scared of their own shadow, never mind the biggest political vote in decades. They are also known for being fickle morons as per the global crash caused by them in 2008. The general consensus on this forum is that the markets wield too much power and needed curbing anyway.

Companies/Countries previously blocked by EU protectionism will be looking to how they can take advantage of the UK market now and vice versa

People are fired/hired every general election where we vote someone different in, particularly in the public sector.

The EU won't stop racism.
Why is it bad that the leader of your country resigns while the country is the most divided in decades? Do I really have to answer that?

You might not like Cameron, but it is pretty clear that this is not a good situation and the UK is very much in need of a clear leader who can help ease tensions and guide the nation towards a good solution. Instead, you now have one that pretty much has to push any major decision forward until his successor.

I don't think I should even go into the other points. It is pretty clear all those things happening now because of Leaving are bad. You might downplay them, but the fact is they are happening and it is not a good outlook for now.

Flintty

They're the property of the UK Government / MoD, surely.

So they'd go to England.

It's a damn good question and the answer is rather complicated, especially with the Trident program currently being based in Scotland. We could move them to Plymouth or Portsmouth but a lot of (expensive) infrastructure would need to be put in place and then there's the local protests to contend with.

Further to the nukes, what the hell happens with the rest of the armed forces? Scotland taxes have helped pay for ships, tanks, jets and all other aspects of the military but is it feasible to amicably split it up in divorce proceedings? I'm sure all this was covered in the Scottish referendum but I can't remember much about it.

who will invoke Article 50?

yup lol
The EU might if their lawyers and law experts tell them they can do it. Just imagine the shitstorm and shitshow that would happen if Brussels announces on tuesday that article 50 has been triggered while Westminster is still in utter disarray and Cameron, Boris & co are all hiding in their dark corners.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
The EU might if their lawyers and law experts tell them they can do it. Just imagine the shitstorm that would happen if Brussels announces on tuesday that article 50 has been triggered while Westminster is still in utter disarray and Cameron, Boris & co are all hiding in their dark corners.
Let's hope it does.

Tak3n

Banned
so looks like the petition is now a bust, with people from outside the UK now signing it....

Second EU referendum petition investigated for fraud

The House of Commons petitions committee has said it is investigating allegations of fraud in connection with a petition calling for a second EU referendum.

Any signatures found to be fraudulent would be removed, it said.

More than 3.1 million people have signed the petition, although PM David Cameron has previously said there will be no second referendum.

It comes after the UK voted 52-48 to leave the EU in Thursday's referendum.

Helen Jones, who chairs the cross-party petitions committee, said in a statement posted on Twitter that it was taking the allegations of fraud "very seriously".

"People adding fraudulent signatures to this petition should know that they undermine the cause they pretend to support," she said.

The committee will consider the petition at its meeting next week and decide whether to schedule a debate on it, Ms Jones said.

"That doesn't mean that the committee will be deciding whether or not it agrees with the petition - just whether or not it should be debated.

"Any debate would allow a range of views to be expressed."

The petition has more signatures than any other on the parliamentary website.

But a number of people on Twitter have pointed out that many people signing it appear to be doing so from outside the UK.

kmag

It's a damn good question and the answer is rather complicated, especially with the Trident program currently being based in Scotland. We could move them to Plymouth or Portsmouth but a lot of (expensive) infrastructure would need to be put in place and then there's the local protests to contend with.

Further to the nukes, what the hell happens with the rest of the armed forces? Scotland taxes have helped pay for ships, tanks, jets and all other aspects of the military but is it feasible to amicably split it up in divorce proceedings? I'm sure all this was covered in the Scottish referendum but I can't remember much about it.
I want my 10th of an aircraft carrier, of course since it'll only have 8 aircraft on it that might be tricky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom