• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
Johnson's going to try and spin this into "it was a close result, so a compromise between Remain and Leave positions is necessary", if I read his column correctly.

EU give us the middle finger. Boris backtracks. Scotland try to get the fuck out. Ireland try to unify and leave us behind. Britain burns. Welcome to your dystopian future.

No, what literally happens tomorrow? Is there some kind of event on? Or is it just because it's Monday? Are people anticipating something major to happen?

Unconfirmed Member
EU will pressure UK to trigger asap
Merkel has already quashed the idea that it has to be in the next few weeks. If she can keep France onside there will be enough time.

Boris is already backtracking. Just need the EU-27 to make it clear that the financial passport is off the table on any trade deal without freedom of movement of labour and the electorate will be begging for a second referendum.

nOoblet16

I'd imagine there would be riots if Britain doesnt go through with it. You can't put back that genie in the bottle
I say it's the price we pay for better future, things will calm down in a few weeks even with that. Leaving though means things stay uncertain for years and then follows a worse future.

liftedly

nc89NSZ.png

Where is that word cloud picture of voting reasons that had "immigration" in the middle again?

No, what literally happens tomorrow? Is there some kind of event on? Or is it just because it's Monday? Are people anticipating something major to happen?

Not particularly. The market and business reaction, suspended mostly over the weekend, will continue.

We'll see some more fireworks, that's all. Lots more repercussions of this vote yet to come.

RE: that Boris column...

I can tell you that the number one issue was control – a sense that British democracy was being undermined by the EU system, and that we should restore to the people that vital power: to kick out their rulers at elections, and to choose new ones.

When did the EU take away our ability to hold elections? I could've sworn we've has some recently.

Malmorian

I can't wait to see the Conservative leadership election.

It'll be like that vault from Fallout New Vegas, where everybody campaigns against themselves as much as possible and try to win it for someone else...because getting the job is literal suicide.

I couldn't stop laughing picturing this in my head. God, it's so true

Johnson's going to try and spin this into "it was a close result, so a compromise between Remain and Leave positions is necessary", if I read his column correctly.

Yep he has a point though, he realises that in 10 or 20 years the ones who voted remain will carry the electorate, he knows the remainers will be the ones in government, as the older generation dwindles. Slimy bastard, devious cunt, need I go on....

geordiemp

Except there is a third party involved. EU.

Only when article 50 is triggered
which it wont be i bet, give it a month

Oh shit! lol.

Well played Cameron. I can't believe I've grown to respect that guy in such a short time.

Cameron, Merkel, Blair ...makes you wonder how much they talk behind the scenes. Lost of similar noises made possible by Cameron doing what he did.

Xun

No. I will move abroad - either to Scotland with my fiancé whose Scottish, or elsewhere. I don't think you quite understand how astonishingly deep these feelings go. I've been active in politics for some time, and I have never felt this way before - nor the people I know.

I absolutely will not, under any circumstance, with the bastards who did this to my country and my future. There is no unity to be had.
I very much feel the same.

I no longer feel English and it hurts me to say that.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
When will the government do something about these tabloids? Surely deliberately misinforming the electoral is against the law? Especially when it can lead to something like this.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
nc89NSZ.png

Where is that word cloud picture of voting reasons that had "immigration" in the middle again?

Irrelevant, presumably some kind of expert was involved in producing that picture. Anyone with a GCSE or higher is not to be trusted anymore #nomoreexperts

Theonik

I wonder when the government will actually emerge and do some actual governing.

I'm Greek. In Germany. Imagine my life during the whole Grexit chaos.
As a Greek living in Germany during the Grexit drama and now back in the UK as this shitstorm unfolds I think I've had my share of shitty referenda and associated drama for a long time.

Merkel has already quashed the idea that it has to be in the next few weeks. If she can keep France onside there will be enough time.

The eu doesn't have to pressure the UK, they bleed every minute they haven't made up their mind. The ironic thing is Britain is gonna serve as an example why you do not want to leave the eu.

Calling it now. If Britain actually looses their banking monopoly and or Scotland than their is nothing to hang on to.

Unconfirmed Member
The defence minister said an hour or so ago a few days or a few weeks is acceptable but certainly not months
I think Merkel will pull rank, not to mention the immense amount of pressure that must be coming from the US to hold off on a quick exit. This is a way for all parties to save face.

Zaph

When will the government do something about these tabloids? Surely deliberately misinforming the electoral is against the law? Especially when it can lead to something like this.

That would require Murdoch not running the show. Remember, this is a guy who openly keeps dirt on politicians and threatens to use it to end their career when they go after him.

I very much feel the same.

I no longer feel English and it hurts me to say that.

I feel relieved. I've spent too long defending England and telling the Scots that "no, you're wrong and that in the end England will come through and do the right thing". Now I feel less burdened by it all and that maybe moving across Europe to settle somewhere else is the right thing.

On a primal level it feels right. I mean back in the day when an area become inhospitable to you then you'd migrate. If my ancestors did it a thousand years ago then I certainly can too.

If Labor had a leader who was pro remain, do you guys think the vote would be any different? (curious American)
No, part of the problem is a protest vote from a disenfranchised working class towards a political elite. The rise of UKIP is testament to this and the whole thing has been predicted by a toxic media stoking the fire.

I don't think it mattered who was leader of either man party. As soon as the free vote on Europe was announced, the righting was on the wall.

I do wonder how much the first past the post constituency system has disguised the level of anti establishment voting in the last two General elections.

RK9039

Oh shit! lol.

Well played Cameron. I can't believe I've grown to respect that guy in such a short time.

He's a bastard but that play was marvelous, no one has the balls to trigger article 50 it seems. And people were laughing at dodgy Dave's resignation the other day but really he had the last laugh.

Oh man, just read Boris column. Took me a little longer to get the willpower to read it because I hate him so much.

He understands he led a Leave campaign right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom