• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven117

"Do you realize that most countries that have Indipendence Day across the globe are celebrating their indipendence FROM the British Empire? You have no goddamn right to pretend you're oppressed, of all countries on the goddamn planet, not you."
This is freakin fantastic quote. This is how you express anger here ladies and gentlemen.

This is how its done.

PJV3

Yup, he's done for now. I don't think he deserved the vitriol thrown at him, but he's done for. I'm worried that they'll choose a new leader whos' idea of moving forward will be pandering to popular prejudice to regain votes.

I'm sure they won't, but they have to convince people they won't get left to rot anymore.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I would've been gutted if Scotland had voted for independence after the indyref but I would not blame them at all if they broke away now. Not for a second,

If Article 50 isn't invoked (and that's a big if), there'll be Scotland and Northern Ireland to thank for that.
800px-United_Kingdom_EU_referendum_2016_area_results.svg.png

As the vote was technically not legally binding, there might be a way out, and largely thanks to that 2014 referendum to stay in the UK, since Northern Ireland's narrow majority alone would not be enough. England and Wales both clearly voted to go but Scotland REALLY does not want to which might lead to it never coming to pass. Technically Scotland could be forced to, but let's wait and see.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know. As much as I'd like to see a magic bullet that erases the events of the past four days - Cameron is still the PM and everything that has come out of his mouth since Thursday as said that the vote stands, it's official, we're leaving. The expectation is on a Pro-Brexit PM in September triggering Article 50.

There is absolutely nothing but wishful thinking to suggest any other outcome at this point in time.

Now, if someone like May ran for the Tory leadership and openly said - 'I don't want to trigger article 50' and 'I'll call an early election' - then there'd be hope for some optimism and a climb down from the current official we're out status.

Let's wait and see whats said by the leadership hopefuls when they announce their candidacy on Wednesday/Thursday.

With every passing day it becomes increasingly difficult, politically, to be the one to trigger Article 50. To do so would be to do more than simply begin the process of leaving the EU, it would also mean beginning the process of breaking up the United Kingdom, and that's not what people voted for in the referendum.

Not to mention the ever increasing economic damage, threats of corporations leaving the UK, boatloads of other bad news, and various possibilities of being able veto the whole thing (like with Scotland's parliament), I just don't see a path forward for the Leave movement.

The uncertainty is terrible for the country, but as this uncertainty continues to grow, I think the chances of the UK leaving the EU diminish.

I still don't think any of the politicians are thinking about Brexit with respect to the general election, just that now seems like a good opportunity to consolidate/get into power.

If it happens, it's going to be a clusterfuck.

There are two reasons why I think they will.

1. In coming PM doesn't want to repeat the mistakes of Gordon Brown and make sure they have a mandate for a full 5 year term
  2. It's an opportunity to run on a Pro-EU stay platform and possibly our only real way of avoiding Brexit.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I would've been gutted if Scotland had voted for independence after the indyref but I would not blame them at all if they broke away now. Not for a second,

Agreed. I must admit, I didn't really understand why Scotland wanted independence last time, but after seeing the insanity surrounding me over the last few days, I think their politicians are the only ones doing a decent job and not behaving like toddlers.

avaya

Agreed. I must admit, I didn't really understand why Scotland wanted independence last time, but after seeing the insanity surrounding me over the last few days, I think their politicians are the only ones doing a decent job and not behaving like toddlers.

They wanted it because the English can not be trusted. Turns out they were right.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
In all honesty, how could anyone look at Boris Johnson and Farage, and go 'yep, these guys seem as though they have it together. I'll vote for them'

I honestly can't believe that actually happened.

Hasney

They've also go top bantz.

FStop7

Banned
If that's all they've got, it'll be a lie.
He tweeted he voted Remain. Unless he admits it himself, or they have a recording of him admitting it in private, I won't believe it for a second.

Of course, I'd be much more inclined to believe them if they hadn't unsuccessfully spent the last two days trying to pressure him out of office.

The definition of an unprovable lie.

We'll see I suppose!

Seems like the exact same paranoid mentality displayed by the Brexiters.

"Corbyn secretly voted for Leave!"

"How do you know that?"

"I heard it!"

"But Corbyn himself says he voted Remain and posted a pic on his Twitter of himself after he cast his ballot."

"Yeah but that doesn't prove anything! We'll have to wait and see!"

WTF is this?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I think the EU will make an example of us. But not enough to cripple us. They wouldn't leave an island of this many people to die off . They will do the Norway deal but only for free movement of trade and labour that will be the example by then we will be to desperate to not take it . Scotland and NI get eu access as well. 50% of the city it's split between Frankfurt and Paris .

London limps on. ..

EU trade with us for certain items to keep us afloat and the UK looks for other trade with hit or miss success .

U.K. Limps on .
EU doesn't let us back in but we never really leave and become a cross between Iceland and Norway.

The UK restarts it aircraft making ship building manufacturing drives ups jobs , farming fishing , business science. A lot of them are government run agencies . Of course the city still is there but it deals with off shore funding and such as a tax haven maybe.

As a united kingdom each part of the UK see a specific role instead of relying on London. the government looks to areas to build income Wales for manufacturing . Scotland for ship building .
Cornwall fishing Kent farminf etc

Renovate the whole country . Still trade for the ttourists shopping in town etc.
We are too busy sorting ourselves out and getting by to ever be a pain to them . They leave us enough tear so we don't need help . We shut the hell up about how great we are and just crack on with things .
We are humble in self defeat and change and grow which is painfully but we survive we go from top five to lower maybe Australia - NZ size

We survive and keep going
We go from a film production company to a producer.

Still in NATO and the UN and we do not isolate ourselves in fact despite what we dod we find peace with what we are doing

This is me being positive

TheFatOne

Man watching these two old guys on sky news just being completely delusional. Just completely ignoring the current reality, and trying to pretend everything is fine and the future will be ok. Just crazy.

theaface

At least we're losing at the football. It's the honourable thing to do, making sure our humiliation is total and absolute on the European stage.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
In all honesty, how could anyone look at Boris Johnson and Farage, and go 'yep, these guys seem as though they have it together. I'll vote for them'

I honestly can't believe that actually happened.

You know, a majority of people in England and Wales might simply not like the EU or feel attached to the continent, regardless of dishonest claims by those two buffoons. I don't think the UK should leave the EU, but come on, a majority did vote to leave.

Jisgsaw

Hardly official at all. 4 days after the referendum, no-one in the Tory party is going to say reverse the decision. The EU knows this as well, hence Merkel's tolerance for us taking our time.

I know I'm partly in denial here, but until Article 50 is triggered we are not leaving the EU, and the more and more the economy craters the less likely that is - especially if the EU is clear we can't have access to the single market without freedom of movement.

I wouldn't be surprised if Merkel's stance is at least in part due to the "hope" the british economy will tank, leaving them with even less bargaining ship as they now have...

Unlikely, as that also hurts EU economy, but who knows. Heck, it would even consolidate her claim to keep the austerity measures in Europe.

*Splinter

The ongoing shitshow in England is so depressing to witness, I'm glad we get these updates from Scotland to break things up. Your short term is even more uncertain than ours, but past that there just seems so much promise. Perhaps I'm naive, but I think this could even work out to Scotland's benefit, and in future it'll be England following Scotland's lead (or begging you to re-form the UK).

Alight that's enough optimism, what's pig fucker up to?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Like any good European, I intend to cheer on Iceland.

Camoxide

Unconfirmed Member
The Little Englander nationalists are unbelievably arrogant. When you've the Scottish, Irish, Londoners and Europeans all uniting against Little Englanders, then it's clear that English nationalism is the problem here.

We fly the Union Flag rather St George's cross because we don't want to be associated with the nationalists (and possibly football fans).

Hey Scotland are you willing to take 16m remain voters?

theaface

Alight that's enough optimism, what's pig fucker up to?

The usual - making jokes about the shadow cabinet at PMQ whilst simultaneously absolving himself of any responsibility for presiding over the biggest peacetime catastrophe in this country. But don't worry, because making Corbyn jokes is fun.

Goodlife

Ironic by people obsessed with how much money we pay out each day.

This is a total fucking disaster, and that's an understatement.
I remember during the 2008 elections the credit ratings were the most important thing ever and only the Tories could be trusted not to let them fall

*Splinter

If Iceland win then people will have nothing to distract them from the shitshow, should be great.
My entire office dep voted Leave, and I drew Iceland in our sweepstakes.

I'm not usually one to make a fuss, but if Iceland win I promise to be insufferable.

Linkified

Are you leaving? You haven't told us, Dear UK. We will help the minute you tell us. There are no informal talks because Britain simply isn't ready for even that and because the timing is there for a reason, you won't get a preferential treatment. Especially as the UK already had one with the last deal. It had a very generous one.

Are we talking about the same deal that Cameron got with Europe, which didn't ease fears from Britain of United States of the European Union?

Or the deal before that where we got a rebate and that was all? Hardly generous.

Joni

We consider Iceland a member for the night.

Are we talking about the same deal that Cameron got with Europe, which didn't ease fears from Britain of United States of the European Union?

Or the deal before that where we got a rebate and that was all? Hardly generous.
The last deal gave britain a permanent out from a closer union. That was the best that could be given. You won't get better now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom