• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

theaface

Sorry to say the protest event in London has been cancelled because of too many people expected.

__Event Cancellation__

To all,

Thank you for the overwhelming support for this idea. I've been nothing short of shocked by the response!

It started with the idea of bringing 20 friends together in London Fields park in East London, and now we have over 50,000 people who want to stand together in London.

We’ve tried all we can to ensure this could go ahead. However logistically it’s not possible to ensure a safe event.

Trafalgar Square can hold 10,000 people - and that’s with security barriers, stewards, road closures, and a full contingency plan. Considering the speed with which this event has picked up, arranging everything required in time is simply not possible.

Given this, with a heavy heart, it's too dangerous for the attendees for the event to go ahead.

There’s an obvious strong feeling to want do something amazing with this momentum, and we’re already considering ideas for where it could be pointed next - whether that’s another event organised for sometime in the near future, or something else.

If you still support the principle of this event, embody it. Use the #StandTogether hashtag to continue to keep the momentum going, and the conversation strong.

I’m incredibly sad we’re not able to go ahead tomorrow, and after amazing support from GLA and the Met Police to help us to try and go ahead with this, I ask please - do not turn up to Trafalgar Square tomorrow evening hoping this will go ahead. The logistics are not in place to ensure it doesn’t turn into a disaster, and we want the media attention around this to remain positive.

Onwards and upwards.

#StandTogether

Zaph

Are we talking about the same deal that Cameron got with Europe, which didn't ease fears from Britain of United States of the European Union?

Or the deal before that where we got a rebate and that was all? Hardly generous.

Our entire position in the EU is generous. It's obvious all the other member states are sick of us being the special snowflake and aren't willing to allow any more concessions.

Which is why they're so eager now to call our bluff and begin a50.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I wouldn't be surprised if Merkel's stance is at least in part due to the "hope" the british economy will take, leaving them with even less bargaining ship as they now have...

Unlikely, as that also hurts EU economy, but who knows. Heck, it would even consolidate her claim to keep the austerity measures in Europe.

No if they did that by trashing all the economy . It would cause more money to be spent in bailouts waves of protests .financial turmoil all roud Others wanting to leave They want us out we want out they want us out in a way as not to fuck us over so as to cause others to fear them. I believe it will be the Norway model I am sure that is what is being offered tomorrow when cameron comes to visit It's a compromise because to take it is the free movement and free trade ddeal. People have lives in EU Area and Uk area to cut up families would be against the human rights so they work it out.

Jisgsaw

Are we talking about the same deal that Cameron got with Europe, which didn't ease fears from Britain of United States of the European Union?

Or the deal before that where we got a rebate and that was all? Hardly generous.

Not sure if serious...

No if they did that by trashing all the economy . It would cause more money to be spent in bailouts waves of protests .financial turmoil all roud

I know, and noted that in my post, that was just a random thought that came to me, that isn't that unbelievable (seeing the shit that went down in the last days), expecially when Hollande and Ranzi pressured Merkel to stop her austerity measures.

DjRalford

I think the most telling thing in this now is that stuff on both sides has failed to come to fruition, ok Leave's lies were greater but both sides lied, that is unfortunatly what politicians do here.

Now everyone needs to work together for the best deal for Europe, so it can continue unhindered going forward, whilst trying to maintain as much exposure to the single market as we can negotiate, if it means things going up 10% so be it.

As Cameron said today,

"Turning to our economy, it is clear that markets are volatile, there are some companies considering their investments and we know this is going to be far from plain sailing. However, we should take confidence from the fact that Britain is ready to confront what the future holds for us from a position of strength.

As a result of our long-term economic plan, we have today one of the strongest major advanced economies in the world and we are well placed to face the challenges ahead. We have low, stable inflation. The employment rate remains the highest it has ever been. The budget deficit is down from 11% of national income, forecast to be below 3% this year. The financial system is also substantially more resilient than it was 6 years ago, with capital requirements for the largest banks now 10 times higher than before the banking crisis."

StayDead

Now everyone needs to work together

I just can't do it. I can't look at people the same way.

All this referendum is pushing towards is exactly what we had before with less benefits and higher costs. I don't understand anything anymore. It's so frustrating.

Burai

shitonmychest57
If we lose, England can withdraw from UEFA. I'm sure AFC, CONMEBOL and CONCACAF will be queuing up to get the prestigious winners of the 1966 World Cup in their competitions.

You know, a majority of people in England and Wales might simply not like the EU or feel attached to the continent, regardless of dishonest claims by those two buffoons. I don't think the UK should leave the EU, but come on, a majority did vote to leave.
While the majority of England and Wales voted to leave, it would be undemocratic for them to force Scotland, Northern Ireland and London to leave against their will, as the majorities in those regions have chosen to stay in the EU.

I think the most telling thing in this now is that stuff on both sides has failed to come to fruition, ok Leave's lies were greater but both sides lied, that is unfortunatly what politicians do here.

Now everyone needs to work together for the best deal for Europe, so it can continue unhindered going forward, whilst trying to maintain as much exposure to the single market as we can negotiate, if it means things going up 10% so be it.

As Cameron said today,

I'm not working with any of you. The only thing I'm working on now is securing the best future I can for myself and my family I can, and if that means leaving each and everyone of you to your misery so be it.

Why on earth would I set sail on a ship with crewmates that have set it on fire? You must be bloody mad.

Linkified

We consider Iceland a member for the night.

The last deal gave britain a permanent out from a closer union. That was the best that could be given. You won't get better now.

Which they(the EU) had to ratify Rome/Lisbon/Maastricht which not only had to passed by EU Parliament but ratified by nearly 27 countries. It wasn't worth the Ink it was printed on.

It doesn't matter if the UK says tomorrow we are not leaving and never invoke Article 50, EU has already agreed to give them the new power so no takesies backsies.

Plus the way to quell communists and fascists is to disentangle the idea of political union as a concept and go back to a very basic EEA for every country whilst the EU mainland countries keep poking a sleeping Russian Bear.

StayDead

I'm not working with any of you. The only thing I'm working on now is securing the best future I can for myself and my family I can, and if that means leaving each and everyone of you to your misery so be it.

Take me with you. I don't earn enough to leave and with costs going up and the pound tanking I've got no chance.

:(

FAv16M7.jpg

Jesus wept.

What would you like printed on the back Sir?

Brexit 16 love.

😑

I don't mean to sound like a dick but instead of Don Mattrick your pic - keeping the quote - could still have Boris or Cameron and it'd work.

DjRalford

I refuse to discuss the result at work for this very reason. I do not want to know.

People are quote open about it at our place, and about 1/3 or the workforce is made up of non UK nationals, quite a few people were having healthy debates about it in my section of the company before the referendum and they continue to be civil and discus ramifications after.

I had to read a company statment out yesterday to all my staff, which basically said, this has no effect on our operations now, or going forward.

But of course the people from the EU are wondering if they get to stay or go in the long run, which is an awful position to be in.
It's actually shown me that despite the decision people on both sides can coninue to be civil towards each other.

Why on earth would I set sail on a ship with crewmates that have set it on fire? You must be bloody mad.

And with that attitude you just show that you're the kind of person that is frankly not needed in this kind of issue, so thankfully you have no bearing on whats going to happen.

Tak3n

Banned
Are people feeling more positive now? been out and would be nice to seem some more positive stuff

Edit: umm stupid post, took 10 secs to see anger is still raw, so ignore me

theaface

I don't think 'Project Fear' was a lie. Ok, there has not been an emergency budget and there hasn't been WW3 obviously (newspapers said that) but by any other metric, the situation is absolutely fucked. The experts warned of terrible damage to our economy and here we are...

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
While the majority of England and Wales voted to leave, it would be undemocratic for them to force Scotland, Northern Ireland and London to leave against their will, as the majorities in those regions have chosen to stay in the EU.

I don't know about that, it is one sovereign country (Scotland and Northern Ireland are constituent countries of the union) after all, but yes, it is an ill-conceived idea to leave the EU and all its benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom