• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJV3

by the way, being in the mood for some wishful thinking, is there any chance this debacle will result in monarchy being abolished in britain? i think we can all agree that monarchy is disgusting, so if this mess somehow could result in charles never becoming king, well that would just be swell.

We would need to crash the economy really badly.

Raven117

Semi serious question: was Democracy a mistake?

No, it isn't. The lack of leaders (and citizens not recognizing and voting for real leadership) is the problem at the moment. I

Britain will get its act together and a find a way out of this.

by the way, being in the mood for some wishful thinking, is there any chance this debacle will result in monarchy being abolished in britain? i think we can all agree that monarchy is disgusting, so if this mess somehow could result in charles never becoming king, well that would just be swell.

How does this relate? I mean, I tell ya....if that ever happened and England voted to remove the monarch...wow....what a time to be alive.

EmiPrime

No chance. Also leave voters are almost certainly mostly monarchists as that goes hand in hand with being nostalgic for a Britain that is long gone, or never was, and small minded nationalism.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
The EU would never compromise on free movement. That is a crack inspired fantasy.

Yep. "We're free to visit the 27 countries, but you lot require a point system for ours" is a non starter.

avaya

If that is indeed the case then the leavers are fucked. GG making their immigration "issue" even worse.

They aren't the smartest of people, no. They won't get jackshit of what they thought they were getting. They are more likely to lose significant sovereignty.

Bobnob

What do you people think about the EU army that was due to be discussed last friday(not sure how true tbh,think i heard about it on question time) personally i hated the idea, I hated us getting involved with Syria and Lybia, Would joining a EU army remove vital decisions away from our MPs(<not a bad thing) but seriously what do you think?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
They aren't the smartest of people, no. They won't get jackshit of what they thought they were getting. They are more likely to lose significant sovereignty.

I'm really worried that will drive them into the far right.

ColdRose

My aunt was walking with her teenage child today when she suffered the most horrific abuse. Bear in mind she never had even the slightest bit of xenophbia living in the UK for years.

Honestly i am speechless. I expected racism in barnsley. Not sheffield of all places

Really sorry to hear this.

Racists across the UK are feeling bolder right now (not braver, fucking cowards the lot of them) because they think that the Leave vote has legitimised their views, which is why every single Brexiter, no matter their reasons for voting Leave, should feel thoroughly fucking ashamed at having climbed into bed with some of the worst people on the planet.

How shitty this is for your aunt and cousin and for the bloke here whose wife is on edge, and for many more, how frightening. Don't really know what to say except that we aren't all like those twats, which seems like such a pointless thing to say :(

axisofweevils

What do you people think about the EU army that was due to be discussed last friday(not sure how true tbh,think i heard about it on question time) personally i hated the idea, I hated us getting involved with Syria and Lybia, Would joining a EU army remove vital decisions away from our MPs(<not a bad thing) but seriously what do you think?

It was mostly overexaggerated. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36383211

AngryMoth

Semi serious question: was Democracy a mistake?
Having an informed electorate is key to a functional democracy. I think there are 2 fundamental issues which undermine our current system. One is politicians not being properly held accountable for wilfully misleading the public and making false promises, i.e. 350 million a week nonsense etc. And the other is national media outlets like the tabloids being able to print bullshit and spew their own agendas day in day out, dictating part of the political narrative.

ShogunX

Honestly after all the shit from the past few days the only thing I could do at the final result (England/Iceland) was smile. Realised I was being a bit of a bitter bastard as a few of our own lads play (Liverpool) for the team but fuck it, this country gets everything it deserves and more from now on.

Strictly

Far, far too valuable to tourism. And the way things are going, with a weak pound potentially attracting visitors, tourism's importance to our economy will grow.

From what I remember, the UK monarchy is not just a case of eternal hereditary presidency. It is basically a case of royal family renting loads of ground to the state under a substandard rate. So, no, pal, not only there's nothing particularly disgusting about this, the moment the monarchy is abolished, they're taking their sweet profits with themselves unless Parliament would separately set up an act to steal it which would be highly problematic for rather obvious reasons.

Alebrije

Having an informed electorate is key to a functional democracy. I think there are 2 fundamental issues which undermine our current system. One is politicians not being properly held accountable for wilfully misleading the public and making false promises, i.e. 350 million a week nonsense etc. And the other is national media outlets like the tabloids being able to print bullshit and spew their own agendas day in day out, dictating part of the political narrative.

This is how democracy work in Mexico, but never thought could happen on places like UK

IpKaiFung

They should have been actually voting for something, Hannan and his free trade low regulation stuff for example. It's this bloody vacuum that lets people believe anything they like, from Corbynistas to Nazi twats.

I don't disagree, I feel too many people just suck up the rubbish they see on TV or read in a paper instead of doing their own research on topics.

I believe it's an issue with the education system but let's not get into that as you could have a 300+ page thread about that subject.

Famassu

Or maybe Asians are unhappy at the discrimination at non-EU migrants face. For example in the restaurant industry there is currently a shortage of Bangladeshi chefs, as children of Bnagladeshi immigrants have gone into other professions, but as non-EU migrants they have little chance of arriving into this country being able to fill the skills shortage.

But no it's because Asians are racist and how dare they decide not to act like a dependable voting bloc for the left.
I've never really heard it would be somehow impossibly hard to come to work in the EU region from outside EU. It's comparatively easy for people to move inside EU, yeah, but in Finland I've never heard of this problem that EU is some kind of impenetrable wall for non-EU workers who want to get here to work, is it really all that much harder for UK? At least here in Finland, from what I've gathered, it's not all that big of a problem. I mean, you can't just come here and stay here without doing anything, of course, you have to have a job, but that's the case with most work-based immigration between most countries and it probably won't be all that different between UK & Bangladesh even after UK gets out of and can manage their own immigration. UK won't just open their borders for limitless Bangladeshi chef immigration just because they are out of EU.

If you think that it'll become incredibly easy for Bangladeshi chefs to come to the UK as if it was workforce moving inside EU, I think you are a bit delusional. Maybe UK will negotiate some laxer (workforce) immigration deals with a few countries, but then that's really not all that much different than the "preferential" treatment of immigration inside EU. Some countries will still be left outside of such treaties inevitably and then maybe some Bangladeshi restaurant won't get their Bangladeshi chef. Besides, why can't these Bangladeshi people train & hire non-Bangladeshi people? Seems kind of bigoted not to give a chance to people other than ones from their country... If I moved to UK and started up a Finnish restaurant, I'd hire from whatever pool of workers available to me. If there aren't any Finnish people, then I'll hire Bangladeshis if they are available. Seems like a problem they've created for themselves, not something that is the result of Evil EU laughing at Bangladeshis.

And I didn't say ALL Asians are racists, just that there is plenty of racism among minorities towards other minorities, so your argument that a lot of people among Brexit supporters aren't racist because minorities voted to leave as well is not a very good one when minorities can often be just as racist (if not even worse towards some minorities) as whites. Not every Asian Leave voter is a restaurant owner lamenting over the fact that they can't find chefs from the country they are from.

pigeon

Banned

Political science says that the Queen makes Britain more democratic by providing a nonpartisan veto point for resolving constitutional crises. I would support a Queen of America, but I think there's not much chance we get one of those because they're kind of legacy items at this point. So I wouldn't be so quick to get rid of the one you've got!

Bummer about Charles, though.

EmiPrime

Far, far too valuable to tourism. And the way things are going, with a weak pound potentially attracting visitors, tourism's importance to our economy will grow.

Their importance to tourism is really overstated. Buckingham Palace isn't going to be levelled to the ground and guards in funny hats aren't going to go away if we get rid of the monarchy.

s_mirage

What's bad about a European army anyway?

I'd like to know this too; I've haven't really heard a convincing argument from someone who's against it. At worst, it might be ineffectual in terms of power projection, given how hard it is to get all countries on the same page.

neerg

On part one,I hope not. So no I am afraid I can't agree with you there, not disgusting at all imo.
On part two, yeah sure i can go with that.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Presumably the games are sold round the world?
Preaumably that means the games cost less to develop in terms of UK salaries and for the same game, less outsourcing and more local hires can be found ? Because the sterling revenue is higher ?

There are not eu Tarrifs on game software: normally exporters welcome a drop in currency value it's a boon for their international competitiveness.
I don't know the full implications of Brexit on their business, all I know is she's sad to potentially lose some very valuable contractors.

axisofweevils

This is how democracy work in Mexico, but never thought could happen on places like UK

We saw a bit of it 5 years ago with the Alternative Vote, where a good poll that would have actually given people more say in politics was promoted with "She needs a maternity unit, not a referendum. Say no to AV", which was really the "£350 a week" of its day.

And of course, people voted No, asked for where the new maternity units were, and..... zip. I wouldn't be surprised actually if the REMAIN areas corresponded greatly with those that voted for AV.

Kazaam

Dear UKGAF,

I am disappointed. About many things. I'm disappointed with the result of the Brexit referendum, with the attitude of the political stage facing the result, with the overbearing consequences I and my family and friends have to face because of it, but most of all I'm disappointed with you and me. Because of the huge flux happening in this thread I'll probably write some of the things I've already written in the past two posts I've posted here.

We're at a really poisoned place in Western democracy right now. I didn't want to believe it.. I actually refused to believe it. I thought the histrionics were overblown in public and people didn't actually thing this way. It didn't make sense to me that people could be that angry and irrational. I knew from my own work that the situation, objectively viewed, was not bad enough to warrant that kind of fury. And so people couldn't actually be feeling that level of rage... couldn't actually have allowed themselves to tribalise that much and that the political elite, beneath its public bluster, actually did have the ability to assess and understand and improve public condition. That what I was observing had to be a distortion of reality, not a reasonable reflection of it. And that the basic tenets of my understanding of society were, deep down, the same ones everyone else had. The universalisation of reason, of fact, of idea. That i was not uniquely more perceptive, intelligent or reasonable than anyone else... i simply worked at it more diligently. But what if nearly all of that is wrong. That's what these last few days have done to me. I proved myself that I wasn't smarter than anyone else, but I still came to be so so disappointed in myself regarding all the rest.

For a long time I personally tried to be a neutral objective side that even supported the establishment and politicians because besides the usual har-har of politics are bad I thought I understood there's a lot in play and many many things I could not grasp and not be able to consider in the bigger picture. But I think what's happening with Brexit is right now a "Santa Claus is not real" moment for me. Because it's not a simple barely-revelation a la Trump or any other crazy directives you can usually risk assess by simply acknowledging they're crazy... no, here is the horrible revelation that the entire establishment is a false and shallow red herring. And for me to see that one of the biggest powers in the world would gamble like little kids with the thought of no repercussions is disheartening for the entire lot of world politics. There's no more trust. These were supposed to be the people who had it under control. These were supposed to be the opposition of all the other crazies in the world. Sure... it's equally parts fascinating, it's just not the right kind of fascinating. So now I'm extremely disappointed in them as well.

Once again we become the casualty of a game we don't take part in. A package of dangerous, manipulative lies, hatred, fear and vitriol, wrapped up in the flag and peddled with malice contempt to a frightened, febrile population by a cabal of half wits and gormless buffoons who have not the slightest appreciation of the gravity of what they are proposing or the faintest idea how they would accomplish it. And we were the gamble. And this is actually what I want to get to...

I'm disappointed in you. We've managed to play their game and go at each other's throats. We're going at the throats of the leave voters calling them racists, uneducated or old and simply call them out for fucking up our future. At the same time they act and react to our own calling outs with horrific manifestations. And I actually believe it's not their fault... Sure, there are racists and nostalgia-driven people, but generalising is the equivalent of discrimination from the very people we so much advocate against. Most people who were pro-Leave voted for an illusion, for something that is not happening, most people had concerns that were met by a shamefully untrue Leave campaign playing with people's weaknesses without actually being able to come through.. a shameful Leave campaign made only stronger by an even more horrifying Remain campaign that told people they are nothing and they will be crushed and burned if they vote against what the Remain says. And yes, there are a lot of uneducated people on the matter that voted and counted, but it's not their fault their not educated on the matter... how could you be if you're isolated and fed by such violently aggressive campaigns?! The people in charge were supposed to take care of these people, to make them understand... How is it that people voted out of EU from places so heavily funded by EU (and them not knowing about it?!).

And yet... we're still here blaming each other, while the entire political cohort looks and says "we're fine... let them play it out". They don't care... I mean they gambled the geo-political and economical features of the country so far. The people are just a blimp on the way. If they can get away with a simple "abandoning ship" and without actually being accountable, all is good for them. And now a lot of people are resigning to the fact that we are where we are and we have to do this, saying "ok... what's done is done and let's get the better deal out of EU for us". But that's not true, we shouldn't be the ones who need to solve their problem and we definitely shouldn't be the ones who should take the blame. This was all their idea and (cue in MGSV jokes) “They played us like a damn fiddle!”. So stop blaming the person next to you that suffers as much as you do even if s/he doesn't realise it. And blame the entire fucking block of politicians that put us in this mess. And I know people support different politicians and they still stick by them, but fuck all of them... we should give tough love to all those who we support because they all took us for granted. You love Corbyn, he fucked us. You love Cameron, he fucked us. You love Johnson, he fucked us. EVERYONE here did. We need to push them to make the right thing... I'm disappointed in you UKGAF if you continue to blame each other, while supporting the guilty people who simply get away with it. But I still have hope... As Journey says... Don't stop believing

Here, for reading all of this ... a picture with BoJo right before getting what he should rightly deserve.

boris1_zpshwzrwb9w.jpg~original

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It would be full of foreigners.
Honestly I think a EU army would be a bad idea it serves no purpose (there are numerous armies in the EU that coordinate, would be a clustophobic mess with no net benefits, how many soldiers from which member States would it contain, which countries military will be the core base of it etc

Their importance to tourism is really overstated. Buckingham Palace isn't going to be levelled to the ground and guards in funny hats aren't going to go away if we get rid of the monarchy.

After ten years or so it would become a Malbork equivalent though. Basically an ex-castle instead of a "present castle".

Raven117

Dear UKGAF,

I am disappointed. About many things. I'm disappointed with the result of the Brexit referendum, with the attitude of the political stage facing the result, with the overbearing consequences I and my family and friends have to face because of it, but most of all I'm disappointed with you and me. Because of the huge flux happening in this thread I'll probably write some of the things I've already written in the past two posts I've posted here.

We're at a really poisoned place in Western democracy right now. I didn't want to believe it.. I actually refused to believe it. I thought the histrionics were overblown in public and people didn't actually thing this way. It didn't make sense to me that people could be that angry and irrational. I knew from my own work that the situation, objectively viewed, was not bad enough to warrant that kind of fury. And so people couldn't actually be feeling that level of rage... couldn't actually have allowed themselves to tribalise that much and that the political elite, beneath its public bluster, actually did have the ability to assess and understand and improve public condition. That what I was observing had to be a distortion of reality, not a reasonable reflection of it. And that the basic tenets of my understanding of society were, deep down, the same ones everyone else had. The universalisation of reason, of fact, of idea. That i was not uniquely more perceptive, intelligent or reasonable than anyone else... i simply worked at it more diligently. But what if nearly all of that is wrong. That's what these last few days have done to me. I proved myself that I wasn't smarter than anyone else, but I still came to be so so disappointed in myself regarding all the rest.

For a long time I personally tried to be a neutral objective side that even supported the establishment and politicians because besides the usual har-har of politics are bad I thought I understood there's a lot in play and many many things I could not grasp and not be able to consider in the bigger picture. But I think what's happening with Brexit is right now a "Santa Claus is not real" moment for me. Because it's not a simple barely-revelation a la Trump or any other crazy directives you can usually risk assess by simply acknowledging they're crazy... no, here is the horrible revelation that the entire establishment is a false and shallow red herring. And for me to see that one of the biggest powers in the world would gamble like little kids with the thought of no repercussions is disheartening for the entire lot of world politics. There's no more trust. These were supposed to be the people who had it under control. These were supposed to be the opposition of all the other crazies in the world. Sure... it's equally parts fascinating, it's just not the right kind of fascinating. So now I'm extremely disappointed in them as well.

Once again we become the casualty of a game we don't take part in. A package of dangerous, manipulative lies, hatred, fear and vitriol, wrapped up in the flag and peddled with malice contempt to a frightened, febrile population by a cabal of half wits and gormless buffoons who have not the slightest appreciation of the gravity of what they are proposing or the faintest idea how they would accomplish it. And we were the gamble. And this is actually what I want to get to...

I'm disappointed in you. We've managed to play their game and go at each other's throats. We're going at the throats of the leave voters calling them racists, uneducated or old and simply call them out for fucking up our future. At the same time they act and react to our own calling outs with horrific manifestations. And I actually believe it's not their fault... Sure, there are racists and nostalgia-driven people, but generalising is the equivalent of discrimination from the very people we so much advocate against. Most people who were pro-Leave voted for an illusion, for something that is not happening, most people had concerns that were met by a shamefully untrue Leave campaign playing with people's weaknesses without actually being able to come through.. a shameful Leave campaign made only stronger by an even more horrifying Remain campaign that told people they are nothing and they will be crushed and burned if they vote against what the Remain says. And yes, there are a lot of uneducated people on the matter that voted and counted, but it's not their fault their not educated on the matter... how could you be if you're isolated and fed by such violently aggressive campaigns?! The people in charge were supposed to take care of these people, to make them understand... How is it that people voted out of EU from places so heavily funded by EU (and them not knowing about it?!).

And yet... we're still here blaming each other, while the entire political cohort looks and says "we're fine... let them play it out". They don't care... I mean they gambled the geo-political and economical features of the country so far. The people are just a blimp on the way. If they can get away with a simple "abandoning ship" and without actually being accountable, all is good for them. And now a lot of people are resigning to the fact that we are where we are and we have to do this, saying "ok... what's done is done and let's get the better deal out of EU for us". But that's not true, we shouldn't be the ones who need to solve their problem and we definitely shouldn't be the ones who should take the blame. This was all their idea and (cue in MGSV jokes) &#8220;They played us like a damn fiddle!&#8221;. So stop blaming the person next to you that suffers as much as you do even if s/he doesn't realise it. And blame the entire fucking block of politicians that put us in this mess. And I know people support different politicians and they still stick by them, but fuck all of them... we should give tough love to all those who we support because they all took us for granted. You love Corbyn, he fucked us. You love Cameron, he fucked us. You love Johnson, he fucked us. EVERYONE here did. We need to push them to make the right thing... I'm disappointed in you UKGAF if you continue to blame each other, while supporting the guilty people who simply get away with it. But I still have hope... As Journey says... Don't stop believing

Here, for reading all of this ... a picture with BoJo right before getting what he should rightly deserve.

Though I am not from the UK, and this was not addressed to me, here here.

Excellent...Excellent post.

Specifically, this..
I'm disappointed in you. We've managed to play their game and go at each other's throats. We're going at the throats of the leave voters calling them racists, uneducated or old and simply call them out for fucking up our future. At the same time they act and react to our own calling outs with horrific manifestations. And I actually believe it's not their fault... Sure, there are racists and nostalgia-driven people, but generalising is the equivalent of discrimination from the very people we so much advocate against. Most people who were pro-Leave voted for an illusion, for something that is not happening, most people had concerns that were met by a shamefully untrue Leave campaign playing with people's weaknesses without actually being able to come through.. a shameful Leave campaign made only stronger by an even more horrifying Remain campaign that told people they are nothing and they will be crushed and burned if they vote against what the Remain says. And yes, there are a lot of uneducated people on the matter that voted and counted, but it's not their fault their not educated on the matter... how could you be if you're isolated and fed by such violently aggressive campaigns?! The people in charge were supposed to take care of these people, to make them understand
(Can say the same thing about Trump here in America)

This is an introspective post that will be lost on the vast majority of people.

Your post...is representastive of the original idea of democracy that the West must find its way back to. We have strayed from the path and allowed charlatans to masquerade as leaders.

Violet_0

Banned
Or maybe Asians are unhappy at the discrimination at non-EU migrants face. For example in the restaurant industry there is currently a shortage of Bangladeshi chefs, as children of Bnagladeshi immigrants have gone into other professions, but as non-EU migrants they have little chance of arriving into this country being able to fill the skills shortage.

But no it's because Asians are racist and how dare they decide not to act like a dependable voting bloc for the left.
until now I was under the impression that the Leave-camp wants to reduce the number of immigrants coming to the UK (especially if they happen to be Muslims), but apparently they just want to stop the discrimination of non-EU citizens (which is apparantly an integral part of the EU)? I never looked at it this way, to be honest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom