• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

dealer-

Already been posted, kid.

What is everybody doing for the rest of the day?

Got the day off. Playing Mirror's Edge, watching Game of Thrones and reading a few books. Life goes on. May have a cold beverage to commiserate later.

BKJest

Yes and you all have convinced yourself that you are the smart ones and everyone else is stupid and a "bad" vote.. everyone thinks like that after they lost, sorry you are not different or smarter or a "better" voter.
Yes they are a better vote than one solely fuel by xenophobia.

E-phonk

Banned
This misinformation is annoying the fuck out of me; the original line was something along the lines of "we send £350m a week (or something) to the EU, why not use it to fund the NHS instead".

Now, nowhere in this statement does it say "we will use the £350m to fund the NHS", but it implies that some of that money could be. Now, no-one has said the money won't go to the NHS, just that the £350m figure won't.

JS89532410.jpg

_89221188_gisela_quote.gif

shandy706

I have no idea what any of this means?

Is there a good spot to read about it in this thread or elsewhere?

Is this like Texas actually seceding from the United states?

(not from the UK)

Fuck David Cameron. He called this referendum purely for political pandering, jeopardising the economies of millions of people. He gambled, lost and now we'll have another fucking recession.

SomTervo

Already been posted, kid. There will always be discount codes for JustEat though.

What is everybody doing for the rest of the day?

work til 5

VR headset should be arriving in the next 30 mins

birthday hangout + dinner with my parents

drink to forget

You're not wrong at all, although I find the Financial Times' "pound is lowest in 30 years" pretty interesting - surely that's not par for the course like you're suggesting?

just gutting

Yeah pretty much, most people just read that headline and think that OMG OMG OMG THE SKY IS FALLING! When in reality they are talking of the dip point, the market stabilize hours later and people still have in their heads that headline instead of what is actually happening in the markets. The same goes for the FTSE going down to LAST MONDAY LEVELS! OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!

don't know if already posted:

Chris Ship ‏@chrisshipitv
Just heard this rumour in the City: both @BNPParibas and @jpmorgan planning to relocate to Paris #BrexitVote

He is an ITV reporter.
Wonder why Paris instead of Frankfurt or somewhere in Germany.

Maledict

don't know if already posted:

Chris Ship ‏@chrisshipitv
Just heard this rumour in the City: both @BNPParibas and @jpmorgan planning to relocate to Paris #BrexitVote

He is an ITV reporter.

Not surprising - BNPParibas had already said that would happen should Brexit occur.

But hey, we don't listen to experts! Who wants a successful economy!

Wow, clearly the next generation is full of wisdom judging by some posts on here. /s

Im a carer and girlfriend is disabled. I would have had the common fucking sense to vote for our stability along with every other disabled persons. Now we don't have any idea what may even happen for us, or anyone on any benefits. We have no idea how much this will affect funding. Please enlighten me how this will be in any way positive, since you're so clearly full of wisdom I expect an answer with some actual logic rather than "let's see how this plays out"

MrS

Banned
Tim Farron saying young people's future have been robbed. Bit rich for a Lib Dem MP to say that after the Lib Dems supported increasing tuition fees, innit?

work til 5

VR headset should be arriving in the next 30 mins

birthday hangout + dinner with my parents

drink to forget
Live solely in VR to escape our new reality. Happy birthday by the way.

SomTervo

Yeah pretty much, most people just read that headline and think that OMG OMG OMG THE SKY IS FALLING! When in reality they are talking of the dip point, the market stabilize hours later and people still have in their heads that headline instead of what is actually happening in the markets. The same goes for the FTSE going down to LAST MONDAY LEVELS! OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!

I get that. I mean a dip point parallel with 30 years ago doesn't sound great, but yeah markets don't just decline and then keep on declining. There's no gravity operating on them like that. It'll come back up

Plum

I detest people who vote with this reasoning. Why even vote for that option in the first place if you actually didn't want it?! Idiots.

I said earlier that it's the drunk driver mentality. They don't see anything happening, so why not? Except this time they weren't drunk, which makes it all the worse.

Lime

Britain already has an insane immigration policy and legislation, so I don't even know what the hell people are complaining about

Or is it just the existing British citizens who don't look "English" who also should be thrown out?

nOoblet16

This argument happens all the time in the US. The key thing people leave out, especially with the USA's extremely large migrant population, is that "natives" wouldn't perform those jobs at those wages. It is a weird moment were traditional liberal people are against increasing the wage power of the lower class.

But migrants are not to be blamed for that, it's the employers who are at fault there no?
If they were paying equal wages it wouldn't make it so difficult for natives to find work.

Then you have cases where people simply don't put effort into finding work and blame the immigrants straight away.

You know UK, you can always join the US as three (or four or five, depending on what Wales and Cornwall want) states. You just gotta dump the monarchy.

akileese

The amount of people I'm talking to in work who voted leave because "they didn't think they'd actually win" is breaking my heart.

And I'm seeing A LOT of that on twitter. It's mind blowing. I'm not a proponent of this, but it's the biggest case of voting being a privilege and not a right in quite some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom