• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

jm89

If only london and scotland could continue to be in the EU without the rest of the damn UK who voted leave.

Acorn

if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck

if people vote against their own self-interest and to the damaging detriment of others because they are afraid of the brown and Polish people, then they're fucking racist.

This is a dumpster fire that is built on the hate, prejudice and fear against the Other.
Yep x10. With that Data how can you not acknowledge they're side is full of xenophobes at best and women hating racists at worst.

jelly

I love how Boris says passing laws to the benefit of our economy but nothing about the people. As long as the economy is good, people don't matter right?

Support for leaving the EU became so strong within the Conservative Party that Prime Minister David Cameron started to worry that his voters would defect to the far-right U.K. Independence Party, thus denying him reelection and putting Labour back in power. To prevent that calamity, Cameron promised that, if he were reelected, he would hold a referendum on EU membership. He was reelected. Now we’re here.

[...]

What are the chances this will actually happen?
Cameron wouldn’t have proposed the referendum if he thought it would actually pass.

tnDfn9c.gif

What the fuck did you think would happen when you stir up moronic nationalism, Cameron?

What a trainwreck

I love how Boris says passing laws to the benefit of our economy but nothing about the people. As long as the economy is good, people don't matter right?

To be fair, Bernie Sanders essentially ran on this platform

Rich!

Wonder how that guy who threatened to beat you up if he ever met you in real life is doing. Dude was crazy.

I thought Remain was supposed to be the tolerant camp?

Haha, that wasn't me he threatened - I voted remain, and I called him out for the threat he made.

I'm actually disgusted with a lot of the things I'm reading from the remain camp. We are better than this.

Hazzuh

The official Leave campaign's TV spot thing was about how the NHS would be improved by leaving. Not sure how they can backtrack on that.

Lime

i'm sorry so many people voted without thinking about what you wanted

I think it's fair to not want to throw out brown and Eastern-European foreigners because "they're coming for your jobs and riches".

But if that's what people want (and apparently 52 % of the turnout did), then they apparently want an explicitly racist country.

As Stump wrote in the other thread:

This is true the same way that people who are against same-sex marriage or racial integration or the people who whooped and hollared at Enoch Powell 40 years ago are all responding to very real anxiety about the changing world. The classic divide between urban-rural or cosmopolitan-provincial. I agree that it's impossible to discard the role fear plays in governing these peoples' daily existence, but the response to that is not to mollycoddle the fearful at the expense of whatever outgroup is currently being scapegoated as they lead their daily life. It's all well and good to say "What about the men who suddenly sees women in a full veil", but he's suffering a far lesser offence than the woman wearing the veil who gets leered at, yelled at, or worse--used as an example of the evil forces conspiring to destroy the nation. The specifics of integration issues vary across time and space, but the core is the same: I would absolutely always want to take the side of kindness and fraternity than the side of fearfulness and bunkering. it's the same in every country. In America it's worries about taquerias and fruit guys speaking spanish and playing footie, in England it's people named Muhammed. I know of course that these people are not cartoonish racist fascists, they're simply isolated and fearful of a changing world.

The government can be blamed for its failure to provide for the economic prosperity and quality of life of the working poor, of course, but not for ignoring the racist calls to Make England English Again. Even if it causes tension and anxiety in the mean time, we need to encourage a spirit of cosmopolitan brotherhood.

I mean, the language stuff is a perfect point. Yes, there are many people who get anxious and angry when they hear people speaking non-English languages. And? A man walking down the road should be able to speak English. Or French. Or Spanish. Or Farsi. Or !Kung! Or even terrorist languages like Arabic or Mohammed. Stripping their dignity by saying they are somehow less human--or less a part of England--or less in any way because of that difference is giving into fear.

I think your post is telling because it dispenses with the pseudo-economic arguments and makes this what it really is: a referendum about how comfortable one is with the strange and foreign ways the country is changing. Glad we're no longer pretending.

Venom Fox

Banned
People are scared. All they are hearing is immigrants are coming over and ISIS is among them. They aren't racist. They voted for their best interests, this is what happens when fear takes over.

_Ryo_

This is a very bad idea. I don't know what else to say. I would say stay safe but how can you stay safe when the world around you is going to hell?

GHG

If the economy is good then the people will take care of themselves.

At least that's how politicians tend to think these days.

Gisela is one person, and that's one sound bite, she's not THE campaign. That's just her personal view, doesn't say that's what WILL happen.
So now we can't believe things said by the co-chair of the Leave campaign? That's just nonsense. They made it part of their campaign, there is no way around that.

Acorn

Just going to leave this here.

Its a chart showing turnouts for MEP elections for the UK (and the rest of Europe by way of comparison).

When you have an average turnout of ~30% over a period of over 35 years it kinda shows how disconnected the British electorate has always been from Brussels. Most people wouldn't be able to name their regional MEP's, let alone know what they do.

This for me is fundamentally why Leave won. The public in this country have never been engaged with the idea of pan-European democracy, and instead have always viewed it as a meddlesome and unwanted overlord.
No the majority just ignored eu elections and parroted "quarrrrk undemocratic quarrrrk unelected quaarrrrk"

Ashes

Banned
"Morgan Stanley looks to move 2,000 London staff
Posted at 13:45
BBC business reporter Joe Lynam reports...

Sources within Morgan Stanley say it has already begun the process of moving about 2,000 of its London-based investment banking staff to Dublin or Frankfurt. And it has a taskforce in place.

The jobs which would be moved from the UK would be in euro clearing but also other investment banking functions and senior management.

The American investment bank needs to avail of the passporting system which allows banks to offer financial services in all countries in the EU without having to establish a permanent base in that member state.

The president of Morgan Stanley, Colm Kelleher, told Bloomberg two days ago that Brexit would be “the most consequential thing that we’ve ever seen since the war”."

dealer-

Haha, that wasn't me he threatened - I voted remain, and I called him out for the threat he made.

I'm actually disgusted with a lot of the things I'm reading from the remain camp. We are better than this.

Yeah, I know this thread appears to have become a remain haven but it'd be nice to hear from some happy Leave voters.

Blueliner

Banned
If you let the people decide their future without any control, half of them will run into the fire thinking its for the greater good. Which is what happened overnight in Britain.

Well there still has to be laws, rules, etc. but as far as the main issues such as a big one, immigration, the people need to decide that.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
If only london and scotland could continue to be in the EU without the rest of the damn UK who voted leave.
There's a vey real possibility that Scotland will vote to secede in the fairly immediate future. I know that my Scottish coworker has changed from wanting Scotland in the Union to wanting Scotland out as a result of the referendum, I wouldn't be too surprised if she's not the only one.

Hazzuh

I think it's fair to not want to throw out brown and Eastern-European foreigners because "they're coming for your jobs and riches".

But if that's what people want (and apparently 52 % of the turnout did), then they apparently want an explicitly racist country.

It isn't just about race! I'm not sure how often this needs to be said. Obviously some of it is but it's as much about the perception that immigration is depressing wages and straining public services as it is about anything else. Why do you think the North East was so in favour of Leave?

oti

Banned
I can't believe the number of people who voted in such an important referendum did so because they were "sure that leave wouldn't win"
Who the fuck thinks this is a logical idea.
Would be interesting to find out how many people regret their votes.

People who shouldn't be allowed to vote.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yep, Morgan Stanley moving 2000 staff to Paris confimed.

That seems a knee jerk reaction? Any exit will take time and surely you'd want to see the results before expensively moving resources around? If the UK retains access to the single market then there would be no reason to move?

Truly a fascinating time to be living in. No matter the outcome this is one for the history books.

It's that kind of stuff that leaves people's gut twisted up here in the US. There are so many people that approach voting with a nihilistic, flippant, or incoherent mindset; especially the younger ones who ironically do not agree with or like what the older generation votes for.

Huh, but I saw people in this thread and on twitter saying that older people shouldn't be allowed to vote?

Blader

Doubt we will leave. The referendum isn't law. It was just a guideline for the government to follow. Once people who voted Leave see what the implications of leaving are, I expect the government to ignore the referendum.

Jesus Christ. Shit show if I've ever seen one.

Doesn't seem like that's really viable given the turnout. But even if it were, hasn't a lot of damage to the markets already been done?

SomTervo

There is no sort of, they did, specially Lehman and AIG and others institutions, the didn't sort of create the crisis, they create it and exploit it until they couldn't anymore and needed someone to pay the bills of the party, there is no discussion about that.

I was hedging/stuttering as a joke ;)

Molemitts

I don't like to think the general population is stupid, it's just that they're so misled. Given so much misinformation by the media and the powerful people who control it. These people know something is wrong, but they'll never be told that it's neo-liberal politics and austerity policies that have caused so many problems, because that would hurt people in power. The powerful are happy to hand over power to populiast nationalists if it can distract people from a real answer.

jelly

If the economy is good then the people will take care of themselves.

At least that's how politicians tend to think these days.

What will the new bill of rights be like though. Economy could be great but what if we are miserable and being screwed over?

Cromwell

Banned
Wonder how that guy who threatened to beat you up if he ever met you in real life is doing. Dude was crazy.

I thought Remain was supposed to be the tolerant camp?

Voting for Leave is far more intolerant than some nasty language from justifiably outraged Remain voters. They've fucked over the entire country because of xenophobia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom