• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

danowat

Banned
That seems a knee jerk reaction? Any exit will take time and surely you'd want to see the results before expensively moving resources around? If the UK retains access to the single market then there would be no reason to move?

I would imagine there are certain EU based benefits involved.

SomTervo

Idiots

This was the equivalent of a coup by the government on itself.

congratulationsyouplayeryourself.gif

me, tonight, in VR:

giphy.gif

mrklaw

MrArseFace
No surprise that the few London boroughs that voted to leave have high white British populations. Reaffirms my thoughts that the leave vote was rooted in the desire to not be around / live among people who don't look or sound like white native Brits.

The white Brits who are all themselves immigrants anyway

Are remain people still overreacting?
Yeah im sure we are, i mean its just a blip and we will end up stronger when we can no longer get the same trade deals with Europe, lose a tonne of jobs, have our currency lose value, our markets getting tanked etc...

Its like leave voters just stick their fingers in their ears when you show them EVIDENCE that it will be/is a bad idea and just shout "It will be fine, we will be stronger, we now have control of our own country lalalalal"

Freeman

Banned
Having different stances on immigration policies isn't necessarily racist. This kind of polarization of just assuming the worst from the other side that is opposed to yours works against you most of the time. It gets to the point where one side just sees the other as pure evil, when in reality they probably agree on most things.

I don't know the specifics, just sharing my uniformed opinion since I was following the thread.

nOoblet16

That seems a knee jerk reaction? Any exit will take time and surely you'd want to see the results before expensively moving resources around? If the UK retains access to the single market then there would be no reason to move?

Yep, total knee jerk reaction.
If UK manages to get access to single market (which they most likely can't without Free movement, which will essentially make the Brexit vote all for naught), then London will recover to remain the financial hub of Europe, and if London recovers then the Uk recovers.

Venom Fox

Banned
Doesn't seem like that's really viable given the turnout. But even if it were, hasn't a lot of damage to the markets already been done?
Yep. Damage that will affect the UK for years to come. As long as Article 50 isn't triggered MP's can choose to ignore the vote. Obviously it would go against what the public has decided but fuck it. Ignore them and remain in the EU.

DiGiKerot

The difference is that they know what will happen if they relocate, as opposed to dealing with years of uncertainty otherwise. When you primarily deal in investment and fianancial services, that certainty is kind of a big deal. The costs in relocation are nothing compared to the risk mitigation involved.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Why wait and see when you can relocate now and save yourself the hassle?

There's a very real chance that your house is in the path of a tornado. Do you wait until it's three feet away before you move to the shelter, just in case it misses?

Best

If UK manages to get access to single market (which they most likely can't without Free movement, which will essentially make the Brexit vote all for naught), then London will recover to remain the financial hub of Europe, and if London recovers then the Uk recovers.

Euro clearing houses etc will still move oit

Ashes

Banned

The city can't influence jack no more.

mcz117chief

Winston Churchill and Plato knew that direct democracy is the biggest bullshit ever, not everyone has the necessary information to make the right choice, especially when it comes to such huge changes.

And honestly, any smart enough person knows that letting the uneducated rule is not a good idea.

Bulbasaur

Banned
I saw a lot of liberals questioning democracy today.

17 million votes isn't small no matter which way you cut it. I think the vote would of been similar if compulsory.

You can't have it both ways, you can't cry democracy when it doesn't suit your view. No matter the margin.

The EU overplayed their hand and thought they were untouchable, lesson learnt.

Hopefully a less corrupt and globalist union comes to fruition in a couple of decades after a mass exodus.

Lime

It isn't just about race! I'm not sure how often this needs to be said. Obviously some of it is but it's as much about the perception that immigration is depressing wages and straining public services as it is about anything else. Why do you think the North East was so in favour of Leave?

Right, but that's the fault of the austerity measures by the government in the last 5 years. It has nothing to do with the EU, but with the financial policies by the government that the UK re-elected last year. Like Stump wrote:

The government can be blamed for its failure to provide for the economic prosperity and quality of life of the working poor, of course, but not for ignoring the racist calls to Make England English Again. Even if it causes tension and anxiety in the mean time, we need to encourage a spirit of cosmopolitan brotherhood.

The problem is economic disparity. Racism is used as an weapon by UKIP and the rest of the racist fucks to have people vote against their self-interest.

Hazzuh

I'm not surprised banks are relocating. It's not just about the EU, it's about the breakup of the UK. Not sure why the Remain campaign didn't point out more that leaving meant the end of the union and the all the accompanying chaos.

Right, but that's the fault of the austerity measures by the government in the last 5 years. It has nothing to do with the EU, but with the financial policies by the government that the UK re-elected last year. Like Stump wrote:

The problem is economic disparity. Racism is used as an weapon by UKIP and the rest of the racist fucks to have people vote against their self-interest.

I agree with two caveats. Firstly that this has been an issue for more than 5 years, especially in the north. Labour have left people there to rot as much as the Tories. Secondly, I think EU migration has made the issues of austerity more dangerous than they may have otherwise been.

E-phonk

Banned

There will be years of uncertainty - and banks don't work well in an uncertain environment.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So who will leave voters blame when the dark days come? I bet they'll still blame "immigrants" for their troubles.

They will blame each other and the UK will plunge into a Civil War...nah they will blame the government not realising that they're doing what they voted them to do.

kmag

"Morgan Stanley looks to move 2,000 London staff
Posted at 13:45
BBC business reporter Joe Lynam reports...

Sources within Morgan Stanley say it has already begun the process of moving about 2,000 of its London-based investment banking staff to Dublin or Frankfurt. And it has a taskforce in place.

The jobs which would be moved from the UK would be in euro clearing but also other investment banking functions and senior management.

The American investment bank needs to avail of the passporting system which allows banks to offer financial services in all countries in the EU without having to establish a permanent base in that member state.

The president of Morgan Stanley, Colm Kelleher, told Bloomberg two days ago that Brexit would be “the most consequential thing that we’ve ever seen since the war”."
All the non Eu based investment banks will move at least some of their operations, that's simply due to the regulatory necessity of having eec access in order to provide services to eu members, It looks like London will no longer be able to provide that access so the operations e dependent on that access will go hopefully they'll offer the staff the chance to move with the job

Burai

shitonmychest57
Yeah, I know this thread appears to have become a remain haven but it'd be nice to hear from some happy Leave voters.

They are too busy moving into their new affordable homes and settling in at the cushy new high salary jobs they all got this morning to have enough time to post on GAF.

Hazanko

Banned
People are scared. All they are hearing is immigrants are coming over and ISIS is among them. They aren't racist. They voted for their best interests, this is what happens when fear takes over.

I'm sorry but i'm sick of people making excuses for these people; 48.1% of people didn't vote for that scaremongering bs. People need to learn some responsibility.

Venom Fox

Banned
That fear is rooted in racism.
How? Everything you hear on the news about Muslims turning extreme etc, Polish people taking cheap labour, in turn taking jobs away etc. That isn't racist it's pure fear and something that they've been taught to think.

Lime

So who will leave voters blame when the dark days come? I bet they'll still blame "immigrants" for their troubles.

Of course that's what governments do. Throw the marginalized under the bus or start a war to distract people's attention from the real problems.

-duskdoll-

Doubt we will leave. The referendum isn't law. It was just a guideline for the government to follow. Once people who voted Leave see what the implications of leaving are, I expect the government to ignore the referendum.

Jesus Christ. Shit show if I've ever seen one.

Kind of shity to go aganist the majority, even if it is 1.2 million people more.

SomTervo

People are scared. All they are hearing is immigrants are coming over and ISIS is among them. They aren't racist. They voted for their best interests, this is what happens when fear takes over.

The 'fear' stems from labelling immigrants in the pejorative.

Labelling as in 'reducing them to a non-human entity'. Reducing them to a label.

De-humanising people is a key aspect of racism and prejudice

Freeman

Banned
Winston Churchill and Plato knew that direct democracy is the biggest bullshit ever, not everyone has the necessary information to make the right choice, especially when it comes to such huge changes.

And honestly, any smart enough person knows that letting the uneducated rule is not a good idea.

What do you suggest to take its place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom