• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a lot of liberals questioning democracy today.

17 million votes isn't small no matter which way you cut it. I think the vote would of been similar if compulsory.

You can't have it both ways, you can't cry democracy when it doesn't suit your view. No matter the margin.

The EU overplayed their hand and thought they were untouchable, lesson learnt.

Hopefully a less corrupt and globalist union comes to fruition in a couple of decades after a mass exodus.

It's fascinating seeing all these "right" people calling other idiots and questioning democracy.

No wonder they like the Union so much xD

It's a sad day for Europe. But it was a sad Europe anyway. The EU only cares about economy (and not in a sustainable way either, just look at Greece).

GamingKaiju

Kinda harsh calling people rascisit because they voted leave is uncalled for.

I know people who voted leave for genuine reasons which had nothing to do with immigrants.

I think Cameron made a huge mistake allowing this to happen. Hopefully there is a 2nd vote and remain wins or politications don't enact the vote either way I hope things work themselves out.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Huh, but I saw people in this thread and on twitter saying that older people shouldn't be allowed to vote?

I wouldn't support older people being disallowed to vote. The problem is with complete and educated engagement among the population.

For example, in the US it's easy to poll the public and find they disapprove of congress. Yet when congress is up for election the disapproval rating isn't reflected in how many people actually go vote. So a supposedly disapproved congress can stay the same.

Venom Fox

Banned
I'm sorry but i'm sick of people making excuses for these people; 48.1% of people didn't vote for that scaremongering bs. People need to learn some responsibility.
So am I. I'm just trying to rationalise what people would want to leave. Everything points to people being scared of immigrants coming over and turning extreme. That's what the news reports every week. It's understandable why they choose to leave. They just don't understand markets etc. Fucking idiots to say the least.

Acorn

https://twitter.com/dylanjonesevans/status/746232873565315072

yT4dHB0.png
Fucking walking dead.

MUnited83

For you.
Ah yes over 17 million people turned xenophobic, bad and racist figuratively over night, including places like Birmingham, please tell me more.
Immigration has issues and calling everyone bad names that sees this worked so perfectly wonderful for this vote right?
All them defensive posts and you still haven't bothered to try to explain your view on immigration and how this will supposedly help.
You're a leave voter alright.

Cromwell

Banned
Kind of shity to go aganist the majority, even if it is 1.2 million people more.

The voters did not understand and comprehend what leaving meant. This should never have been left up to them in the first place. Democracy has failed if it allows a country to burn itself to the ground.

SomTervo

Winston Churchill and Plato knew that direct democracy is the biggest bullshit ever, not everyone has the necessary information to make the right choice, especially when it comes to such huge changes.

And honestly, any smart enough person knows that letting the uneducated rule is not a good idea.

What the fuck do you propose as a solution in that case?

Honestly, I want to know. The problematic truth of this language is sort of becoming more evident year-on-year.

shandy706

In other words: The dumb people ruin it for everyone, when the not-dumb people take all the economic benefits for themselves.

Good possibility

A bunch of xenophobic, bigoted, women hating, climate change denying, technology fearing, trickle down wealth believing racists just decided the future of a nation

Is this true...do they (the voters) have money? This chart another person posted....

Makes me think it's the poor and the uneducated that voted for this. The US has a major problem with poor and uneducated voters.

Wealth and education are in DIRE need of being spread out and cleaned up in the US. Things have become massively lopsided. You have a massive majority of poor uneducated people here. I don't know if that's true for the UK.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I know very little about this stuff, but if shit goes bad for the UK could they just have another vote to rejoin the EU?

It's not that easy. You can't just be like "Welp, I thought we would do better if we ditch you but we didn't. Let's go back to how things were before"

Morat

Banned
Winston Churchill and Plato knew that direct democracy is the biggest bullshit ever, not everyone has the necessary information to make the right choice, especially when it comes to such huge changes.

And honestly, any smart enough person knows that letting the uneducated rule is not a good idea.

Im coming around to Plato more and more today

How? Everything you hear on the news about Muslims turning extreme etc, Polish people taking cheap labour, in turn taking jobs away etc. That isn't racist it's pure fear and something that they've been taught to think.

The same happened in Germany. Then when you ask the people, they are mostly uneducated and wouldnt want to go to the fields, become a cleaning worker etc, because its "too low" for them.
Polish people arent taking cheap labor away from other people. They are taking jobs no one else did or wanted to do.

Its not fear. Its stupid racism. The same we happen in Germany when uneducated people from eastern germany mostly think polish people are "teeking our jebs", while they actually dont wanna get asparagus out of fields..

Lime

I agree with two caveats. Firstly that this has been an issue for more than 5 years, especially in the north. Labour have left people there to rot as much as the Tories. Secondly, I think EU migration has made the issues of austerity more dangerous than they may have otherwise been.

Agreed on the first point, disagreed with the severity of the second. The second point doesn't mean that you abandon the project and your partners, but instead try to come up with solutions to the challenges you face with EU migration (both internal and external).

Europe is one of the most richest and powerful continents and UKIP and its followers mean to tell me it can't handle a bunch of immigrant workers?

It's hysteria and fear, nothing else.

Crumpo

Honestly, I want to know. The problematic truth of this language is sort of becoming more evident year-on-year.

You vote in experts who pledge to sort out whatever issue you dont like. They can then spend months poring over data models and agree the best option.

They are called MPs

oti

Banned

I know people who voted leave for genuine reasons which had nothing to do with immigrants.

I think Cameron made a huge mistake allowing this to happen. Hopefully there is a 2nd vote and remain wins or politications don't enact the vote either way I hope things work themselves out.

Like what for instance?

Lego Boss

One good thing to come out of this:

Corbyn has to go. Weak, ineffectual leader with no idea about what it takes to run a party or a country. He is as much to blame as anyone for not engaging in proper discourse around the EU debate.

GTFO and good riddance.

I know very little about this stuff, but if shit goes bad for the UK could they just have another vote to rejoin the EU?
I think it should be possible ... BUT ... UK until now had some special things going via EU for them.

If negotiations happen for a possible rejoin, EU is probably going to make UK suck the whole package of rules, deals without any special treatment.

I propose a representative democracy where the qualified and informed elected officials act upon issues with compromise and tact rather than dealing with unprecedented economical secessions with yes/no votes.

Blader

There was a poll posted earlier showing that multiculturalism and immigration were the top "forces of ill" according to Leave voters. By, like, 80+ percent margins. How is that not evidence of massive racism and xenophobia?

Maybe the people you know don't fall into that category, but the people you know don't necessarily represent the whole movement at large either.

Hazzuh

I thought Remain was supposed to be the tolerant camp?

The Remain campaign has treated most of the Leave voters with contempt after their parties ignored them for decades. If you watched the debates you would have seen Remain campaigners calling the Leave campaigners stupid liars etc. If you are a Leave supporter I can see how the implication is that they are stupid for believing them.

Agreed on the first point, disagreed with the severity of the second. The second point doesn't mean that you abandon the project and your partners, but instead try to come up with solutions to the challenges you face with EU migration (both internal and external).

Europe is one of the most richest and powerful continents and UKIP and its followers mean to tell me it can't handle a bunch of immigrant workers?

It's hysteria and fear, nothing else.

I agree we could have handled it in the EU . It's just that we didn't and now we are living with the consequences. I favoured Remain but I just want people to try to understand why so many chose Leave. The Leave campaign did prey on fear and resentment, but those things came from lives that many people in this country are leading which have gotten worse and worse since the 1980s.

Cromwell

Banned

He was absolutely right, and yet being uneducated and stupid is seen as more in vogue today than ever. Donald Trump loves the uneducated. People on GAF were getting righteously indignant merely at polls showing 80% of the educated favor remain.

Maledict

It's not that easy. You can't just be like "Welp, I thought we would do better if we ditch you but we didn't. Let's go back to how things were before"

IT depends.

If, during the 2 year period activated by article 50 of the Lisbon treaty, the U.K. Decides not to leave, you can absolutely guarantee it would happen. No questions asked, Europe would be overjoyed.

If the UK wants to rejoin *after* the two year period, once we have actually separated? Will be incredibly painful, tedious and difficult. Every other member state would have to agree for us joining, we would have to adopt the Euro, we wouldn't have any of the current opt-outs and special agreements we have in place including the rebate, etc etc. Would take many, many years and lots of pain.

Lime

When people like Orban,Trump,Le Pen and Wilders congratulate you, you should know that you fucked up...

It's like Gamergate supports - you have neo-nazis, misogynists, and far right personas and news sites proclaiming their support of you, and GG supporters still don't reflect on their compatriots.

Basically:
0.jpg

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
The same happened in Germany. Then when you ask the people, they are mostly uneducated and wouldnt want to go to the fields, become a cleaning worker etc, because its "too low" for them.
Polish people arent taking cheap labor away from other people. They are taking jobs no one else did or wanted to do.

Yeah, there is a reason why a LOT of people in geriatric care (at least here in Austria, I would assume in Germany too) are Polish. Because it's a fucking horrible, soul-crushing and often disgusting job and nobody here wants to do it.

Venom Fox

Banned

Its not fear. Its stupid racism. The same we happen in Germany when uneducated people from eastern germany mostly think polish people are "teeking our jebs", while they actually dont wanna get asparagus out of fields..
I know. I'm just trying to understand the general train of thought of leave voters. I leaned toward leave earlier this year but when I realised how much it'll effect the UK I voted remain.

Crumpo

The Remain campaign has treated most of the Leave voters with contempt after their parties ignored them for decades. If you watched the debates you would have seen Remain campaigners calling the Leave campaigners stupid liars etc. If you are a Leave supporter I can see how the implication is that they are stupid for believing them.

...but they did lie. Right out of their arses. Sounds like fair comment.

pbsapeer

Banned
It's like Gamergate supports - you have neo-nazis, misogynists, and far right personas and news sites proclaiming their support of you, and GG supporters still don't reflect on their compatriots.

Basically:
0.jpg
"We've got skulls on our hats and uniform"

Ephidel

Is this true...do they (the voters) have money? This chart another person posted....

Makes me think it's the poor and the uneducated that voted for this. The US has a major problem with poor and uneducated voters.
You misread. They were mocking them for saying they believed in trickle down wealth, not saying they had wealth that had trickled down.

Ashes

Banned
I saw a lot of liberals questioning democracy today.

17 million votes isn't small no matter which way you cut it. I think the vote would of been similar if compulsory.

You can't have it both ways, you can't cry democracy when it doesn't suit your view.
No matter the margin.

The EU overplayed their hand and thought they were untouchable, lesson learnt.

Hopefully a less corrupt and globalist union comes fruition in a couple of decades after a mass exodus.

This the EU's fault? my older brother who has learning difficulties voted leave and he was regretting it. And I asked why? He said cause he had an argument last week with an Italian guy. Then he looks at me and says I didn't think we'd win. Labour didn't say anything.

He lives in Barking and Dagenham and works zero hours contract. ;/

mcz117chief

What do you suggest to take its place?

Parliamentary democracy of course, let the people elect their representatives, the smartest and most educated among them and let THEM rule, pretty much like it has been since the French Revolution. But referendums are atrocious, you let people who have no idea what is going on have the same say as the people who spend years and years researching and working in the political and economical environment. Doesn't that sound incredibly bad?

Cromwell

Banned

Allow experts who actually know what the fuck is at stake to vote on behalf of the people.

If Trump wins the U.S. Presidency, 2016 will be the year that democracy officially failed. No one would be able to deny that. No one.

MrS

Banned
Like this guy, you mean?

He was absolutely right, and yet being uneducated and stupid is seen as more in vogue today than ever. Donald Trump loves the uneducated. People on GAF were getting righteously indignant merely at polls showing 80% of the educated favor remain.

Morat

Banned

Basically:
0.jpg

"Are we the baddies?"

Im coming around to Plato more and more today

Just don't trust Aristotle.

Indirect democracy. You know, the type of thing where people elect qualified leaders to make these types of decisions for them.

It's why I'm a proponent of democratic Technocracy. Have people who actually worked or studied the field they're in as heads of departments (e.g. a doctor as health minister, a scientist as science minister), and have people who have some sort of political expertise handle the paperwork. Done. No commodity brokers, wanker bankers or analysts in power except maybe for the financial/economic sector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom