• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toby Kebbell to play Doctor Doom in Fantastic Four movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/toby-kebbell-fantastic-four-doctor-doom-1201125911/

Fox has zeroed in on Toby Kebbell to play the “Fantastic Four” team’s arch nemesis Victor von Doom, aka Doctor Doom.

This was a role chased by several rising stars, including Jack Huston and Domhnall Gleeson, before Fox targeted the ”Dawn of the Planet of the Apes” thesp.

If a deal makes, Kebbell would join Miles Teller, Kate Mara, Michael B. Jordan and Jamie Bell in the reboot that plans to shoot this spring.

Based on the comic “The Ultimate Fantastic Four,” the contemporary update will focus on the characters as young men and women. Josh Trank will helm the pic with Simon Kinberg, Matthew Vaughn and Gregory Goodman serving as producers.

“The Fantastic Four” is slated to bow June 19, 2015.

Kebbell, whose long list of strong supporting roles include “War Horse,” “The East” and Legendary’s upcoming adaptation of “Warcraft,” is repped by CAA and Independent Talent Group.

toby-kebbell.jpg

toby-kebbell.jpg

This guy is a good actor. He's cool as shit, I'm not familiar with how doctor doom should be but if he's a cockney street rat (lmao) then this is god tier casting.....

I wish I hadn't heard Jack Huston was up for it. Makes me disappointed he didn't get the role. He is so damn amazing as Richard harrow in Boardwalk empire.

Thought the name was familar. Saw this dude in Dead Man's Shoes last year. He played a retard though so I can't gauge if this is good casting...

He is a great actor. He pulled off the swarve excellently opposite David Tennant year in a drama called the escape artist.

Plus it's worth saying, everyone should watch Dead Man's Shoes.

L1NETT

Dead man's shoes
The Street
Black Mirror

Dude has been in some good stuff and proved himself. Great choice.

I always knew Doctor Doom was from Pontefract.

lol

They should just aim to make this the superhero Showgirls and be done with it. It can't be good so just go for intentional camp.

This movie has the worst casting in any super hero movie to date.

Such a shame too since the first movie had excellent casting.

Bo-Locks

What I said in another thread:

The mentality of just dismissing actors because they don't look the part or they're not "sexy" enough for a nerd-based audience is very strange. I've seen the Heath Ledger thread when he was announced as the Joker and the majority of people were very disappointed, and look how that turned out.

I'm not as familiar with the character as others here are, but one thing I am sure of is that Toby Kebbell is a terrific actor and could easily pull it off.

So what makes any of these actors not appropriate for the role?

Having said that, I'm not a fan of Eddie Redmayne, but Toby Kebbell and Sam Riley have turned out some terrific performances, and I'm sure they could do a good job here.

He's far too good for this shit which I'm sure will bomb, but he's a great actor and I don't doubt he will do a good job.

EYEL1NER

I know a guy who pretty much looks exactly like him.
Same here. There is something about them that makes me think everyone might know a look-a-like.

I really liked this guy in Rocknrolla and wish I could see him in more stuff. I don't know how good of a Doom he could be, but I like him for his role better than any other announced roles and the actors playing them. There has been some shit casting for this movie but this doesn't seem like a godawful choice.

Only seen one Kebbell performance (the third episode of Black Mirror), but he was pretty damn good in it. I'm fine with this casting, but of course it'll largely depend on the script.

Why make announcements on April 1st? Maybe it's to test the masses like how ThinkGeek tests potential products. If people WTF it, they can just say it was a joke.

i'm sure he can do the eastern european accent if required. i have more problems with the casting of reed richards.

i liked spectacular now but this shia labeouf 2.0 dude doesn't strike me as somebody who can pull off the genius role.

toby kebbell and sam riley are indeed awesome, as is michael b jordan

the thing and reed and sue are troubling though.

Cardon

I've been a fan of Toby's since I first saw him in RocknRolla, but this new F4 movie is still going to be garbage. I'm sure he'll deliver a good performance, though I suspect the material he'll be given will be less than stellar - both in honoring the outline of the Doom character and playing to the strength's of Toby as an actor).

Who's this asshole?

1977: Christopher who? Who's this asshole. Dude's on a soap opera? And it's not even Days of our Lives. He thinks he's gonna be Superman? Fuck outta here.

2000: Hugh Jackman? More like Ugh Jackoff. Who's this asshole? He's like a foot too tall and loves showtunes. Fuck outta here.

2010: Tom Hiddleston? Who's this asshole? Who's Loki? What the fuck is a Thor? This is going to be a joke. Anthony Hopkins should just play everybody. Fuck outta here.

Seriously, so we can have another movie full of walking wisecracks.

that's the reason why i don't want marvel to ever have xmen. their cyclops would be boss but everything else would be worse off. magneto would probably be liam hemsworth beefed up with his hair dyed white or some shit.

but i think marvel should have f4 and spiderman back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom