• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan14| See you, Space Cowboy. Hello, Space Dandy

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got around to watching this week's Toonami.

Not really wowed by Space Dandy's dub (no real interest in seeing the sub, though). Just some weak comedic delivery, sounds too much like TRYING to tell jokes most of the time to me. Except the narrator. The narrator is awesome.

Not really wowed by Space Dandy's dub (no real interest in seeing the sub, though). Just some weak comedic delivery, sounds too much like TRYING to tell jokes most of the time to me. Except the narrator. The narrator is awesome.

Did you like the 2nd half better once it's all action?

That volume is the only Naruto volume I own. Someone gave it to me as a gift a while back.
Should have been Inuyasha. It's like they don't know you at all.

At least you recognize the greatness of the narrator.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Did you like the 2nd half better once it's all action?

I thought the whole thing was pretty fun, though the action sequences are clearly the strong suit. So much style. And honestly I thought they had an even harder time struggling to deliver comedy believably in the second half than they did in the first.

I thought the whole thing was pretty fun, though the action sequences are clearly the strong suit. So much style. And honestly I thought they had an even harder time struggling to deliver comedy believably in the second half than they did in the first.
That's the first i've seen someone with this opinion. Most people seemed to have missed the comedy in the first part.

I only own the first 5 Inuyasha VizBigs. I dont now where to store all of them >_<

The VizBigs look cool but I would never get them because I like the individual covers of the volumes.

Tenumi

Banned
Go read To Love Ru Darkness if you want to see how much shit someone can get away with in a children's manga. There's full on vag hidden in that, sometimes in plain sight.

Children's manga?

...I'm sorry, Children's manga?!

That's the very first time I've heard To Love Ru Darkness referred to as a "Children's Manga".

In that case, I guess Night Shift Nurses is a Young Adult anime.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
That's the first i've seen someone with this opinion. Most people seemed to have missed the comedy in the first part.
I'm speaking very specifically of the acting performances. I feel like the SHOW is much much better than the dub.

That said, the same issue might be present in the Japanese version, and I KNOW many of those jokes are probably Funimation's doing (which might be part of the problem, as they've shown many times over the years that they're not nearly as funny as they think they are, at least not consistently).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
dCJUG6K.png

Ohohohohohohoho.

I'm speaking very specifically of the acting performances. I feel like the SHOW is much much better than the dub.

That said, the same issue might be present in the Japanese version, and I KNOW many of those jokes are probably Funimation's doing (which might be part of the problem, as they've shown many times over the years that they're not nearly as funny as they think they are, at least not consistently).
Ahh. Now I see.

dCJUG6K.png

Ohohohohohohoho.

Is that the one really fucked up series?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've got all of GTO and all of G Gundam.

GTO manga has quite simply the greatest ending to anything ever and G Gundam's manga is hilarious because the author basically ignores the canon "One True Pairing" and decides to make Raine something of a shrew while clearly shipping Domon with Allenby.

Did I seriously just watch all 14 minutes of this? Yes, yes I did. Those 14 minutes I'll never get back

An episode of SAO is what, seven minutes longer?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
dCJUG6K.png

Ohohohohohohoho.
OH LORD, I couldn't help but laugh at that, especially considering its infamous ending.

Obligatory "screw Makoto" comment

As for manga, I'll probably sell most of them one of these days, but I have all volumes of both Cowboy Bebop manga, FLCL, 2 volumes each of Full Metal Panic & Overload, 6 volumes of Gintama, first volume of Eva: Angelic Days, all 4 volumes of Read or Die, both Samurai Champloo volumes (bummed the hell out of me when I discovered it was that short), the Azumanga Daioh omnibus, Soul Eater vol. 2 that I won (& need to read one of these days), 4 volumes of A Certain Scientific Railgun, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei 1-7, Sgt. Frog 1-7, Bo-Bobo's stand-alone release & 1-4, and first two Excel Saga & School Rumble volumes.

I also had all 10 volumes of Girls Bravo that my friend & I bought in high school along with a few more, but I feared my parents finding them after they caught me trying to buy some other manga (Ichigo 100%, He Is My Master, etc), so they're at his place.....I think.

I own all of Deathnote, all of the Phoenix Wright Manga, the first volume of AAI manga, the Aizen reveal volume of Bleach, and the first 20ish volumes of YGO.
LOL Awesome.

I own all 69 volumes of One Piece that have been released in America. Except 62, because it's a hiding little bitch.
Wow. That's awesome. I wonder if Meta can beat that. It's the battle of the One Piece Super Fans!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
What manga do ToonamiGAF members own?

.. My Manga is getting old now, lol.

Gunsmith Cats +Burst
some Cannon God Exaxxion
Real Bout High School
Various Street Fighter stuffs
Sorcerror Hunters
Louie the Rune Soldier
Eatman
Video Girl Ai
A few Tenchi Muyo volumes
Negima
Saikano
Chobits
Ranma
Some KoF Manwah?
Captain Commando
Red Earth
Darkstalkers
Solanin
Genshiken
Comic Party
Gundam Wing...
A bunch of other stuff I don't remember....

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Most people at the time thought
Neji
and
Chouji
were
dead
dead.

It's even funnier when a bunch of similar
fake deaths
happen later.

Also, I really hope Dandy and crew die because of ridiculousness every week.

I hope not

What manga do ToonamiGAF members own?

Used to subscribe to Shonen Jump in middle school/high school so I've got a bit of a melting pot. Of the series they ran 'Sandland' by Akira Toriyama stands out as my favorite. Oddly enough, this magazine was what introduced me One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach.

LOL Oh Allan.

Who is this strange fellow?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
an eighth grader who had a delightful conversation about love on miiverse with a "girl who is also in eighth grade" but likely isn't either of those.

MikeMyers

I hope not

Used to subscribe to Shonen Jump in middle school/high school so I've got a bit of a melting pot. Of the series they ran 'Sandland' by Akira Toriyama stands out as my favorite. Oddly enough, this magazine was what introduced me One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach.

Who is this strange fellow?

I used to be subscriped to it too! That's how I discovered what manga was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom