• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan14| See you, Space Cowboy. Hello, Space Dandy

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

I'm not at Lain-levels of Manga collection, but I used to have a fairly large collection. I've downsized in the last year, shipping out a nearly full run of Eyeshield 21, 15 Bleach volumes, and dozens of other books to fellow MANgaffers.

Right now, I still have full runs of Death Note and Rurouni Kenshin, tons of Yu-gi-oh books, and am currently buying the 2-in-1 collections of Loveless Viz has started to publish. Will probably end up collection Nisekoi for some shitty reason soon as well

I'm not at Lain-levels of Manga collection, but I used to have a fairly large collection. I've downsized in the last year, shipping out a nearly full run of Eyeshield 21, 15 Bleach volumes, and dozens of other books to fellow MANgaffers.

Right now, I still have full runs of Death Note and Rurouni Kenshin, tons of Yu-gi-oh books, and am currently buying the 2-in-1 collections of Loveless Viz has started to publish. Will probably end up collection Nisekoi for some shitty reason soon as well

If you ever need someone to take some manga off your hands, I'm your man.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
One Piece 182:

1347844475792.gif

Holy crap, not only did they address the thought that I had last episode (the whole
"wait, Luffy's rubber, so wouldn't Eneru's lightning attacks not work on him"
deal), but they did it in such a cool & funny manner as well. Had a good laugh at the end.

& as seen above, One Piece has some hilarious facial expressions.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
One Piece 182:

Holy crap, not only did they address the thought that I had last episode (the whole
deal), but they did it in such a cool & funny manner as well. Had a good laugh at the end.

Hahahaha. We told you that it would be awesome.

For the record, this scene in the manga? Eneru's face took up an entire page.

Here's the Space Dandy episode 2 preview that's been running on Adult Swim all week. They sure are pushing it hard, we've never seen Toonami make individual episode promos before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5LrrruNL1g

I found the Japanese preview for us 'dub apologists' to gander at too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2T6HkFWqiA

Here's a spoiler tagged description for those at work who can't view youtube videos

Still out searching the galaxies, the crew visits the noodle galaxy as Meow takes pictures of their travels and uploads them onto the web. However, this stupidly gives away their location to Dr. Gel, who sends his henchmen after them everywhere they go.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
One Piece 182:

1347844475792.gif

Here's the Space Dandy episode 2 preview that's been running on Adult Swim all week. They sure are pushing it hard, we've never seen Toonami make individual episode promos before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5LrrruNL1g

I found the Japanese preview for us 'dub apologists' to gander at too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2T6HkFWqiA

Well it's basically a brand new series for them and Adult Swim has always done this for original content. They aren't bringing it over years later so there's no real chatter about it other than what they can create through promos and such.

Well it's basically a brand new series for them and Adult Swim has always done this for original content. They aren't bringing it over years later so there's no real chatter about it other than what they can create through promos and such.

Not really, toonami wasn't making episode specific promos for IGPX or Big O Season 2 that aired during the week. Dandy is being pushed hard, probably because they paid a pretty penny for it through funding and licensing.

Seda

That second promo was after the credits right? At least on what's on Adult Swim's website.Like a typical episode thing.

Did they make episode promos for Rick and Morty?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Not really, Adult Swim wasn't making episode specific promos for IGPX or Big O Season 2 that aired during the week. Dandy is being pushed hard, probably because they paid a pretty penny for it through funding and licensing.

I don't think that was a simulcast though. Plus it had a bit of hype because it was a season 2. Dandy is closer to an Adult Swim original. Also I think regular Toonami did make previews for IGPX back when it was new.

Did they make episode promos for Rick and Morty?

Has that even started yet? I know they've done it for Venture Bros and others.

Crocodile

Not really, toonami wasn't making episode specific promos for IGPX or Big O Season 2 that aired during the week. Dandy is being pushed hard, probably because they paid a pretty penny for it through funding and licensing.

Do you mean they didn't make promos for them during their recent runs? Well you're correct there. However, though my memory may be a bit hazy, I remember them pushing IGPX and Big O 2 pretty hard when they were brand new which was about 8 and 11 years ago respectively. For something that's BRAND NEW/WORLD PREMIERE and that they helped fund, this level of promotion doesn't strike me as unusual. They've done the same for new seasons of Boondocks, Venture Brothers, Black Dynamite, etc.

I don't think that was a simulcast though. Plus it had a bit of hype because it was a season 2. Dandy is closer to an Adult Swim original. Also I think regular Toonami did make previews for IGPX back when it was new.

What does Dandy being simulcast have to do with anything? Sorry, I'm not following you there..

This is the first time we've seen something from toonami get a specific episode preview made and run outside of the block. Adult Swim co-funded Ghost in the Shell but it didn't get this treatment. The same goes for Big O like I mentioned earlier.

I'm pretty sure regular toonami did not make episode previews for IGPX back in the day. There were previews like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lQx5fIv9YQ

But none created specifically for an episode

Do you mean they didn't make promos for them during their recent runs? Well you're correct there. However, though my memory may be a bit hazy, I remember them pushing IGPX and Big O 2 pretty hard when they were brand new which was about 8 and 11 years ago respectively. For something that's BRAND NEW/WORLD PREMIERE and that they helped fund, this level of promotion doesn't strike me as unusual. They've done the same for new seasons of Boondocks, Venture Brothers, Black Dynamite, etc.

No, I'm talking about episode specific promos during their initial runs. I don't remember seeing them do this for IGPX, GitS or Big O Season 2 and can't find any videos online proving otherwise. They made general promos, but they weren't episode specific. I think the Dandy marketing is being handled a little differently than they would've done in the past which is interesting.

I've seen AS episode specific promos for rick and morty, we also see them for eagleheart paradise rising. Them doing it for Dandy isn't really that unusual

Also mcxc every show you mentioned aired years ago and them being "new" on newnami does not make them new to the block or new to adult swim. That argument would make more sense for Bleach - SAO which they don't do specific episode previews for.

I've seen AS episode specific promos for rick and morty, we also see them for eagleheart paradise rising. Them doing it for Dandy isn't really that unusual

This is the first time it is being done for an anime, that's why it's unusual. Did Ghost in the Shell get this treatment? IGPX? Big O season 2?

That's the point I'm trying to get across.

This is the first time it is being done for an anime, that's why it's unusual. Did Ghost in the Shell get this treatment? IGPX? Big O season 2?

That's the point I'm trying to get across.

I dunno if they did when those shows first aired in the early 2000s, but why would they make specific episode promos for 10 year old anime thats rerunning? Your argument should be "they don't do this for bleach-sao" which are new to both toonami and adult swim

I dunno if they did when those shows first aired in the early 2000s, but why would they make specific episode promos for 10 year old anime thats rerunning? Your argument should be "they don't do this for bleach-sao" which are new to both toonami and adult swim

That was a rhetorical question, they didn't do episode specific promos when those shows first aired. You're not understanding what I'm saying, I'm not asking why GitS and Big O didn't get promos on the new toonami.

Bleach and SAO aren't co-funded or co-produced so no, that's not what my argument should be.

Yes, AS doing promos for specific anime is pretty rare.

You get me

Seda

If them doing a promo for episode 2 wasn't proof enough, DeMarco said during his impromptu Q&A yesterday that they had done up to 5-6 or something, so sounds like episode promos will be a regular thing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
One Piece 182:

1347844475792.gif

What does god need with a starship?

If them doing a promo for episode 2 wasn't proof enough, DeMarco said during his impromptu Q&A yesterday that they had done up to 5-6 or something, so sounds like episode promos will be a regular thing.
Good, I want them to keep pushing this show. Hopefully they can start to draw in some people who wouldn't normally watch anime.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
OP 183 & 184: It's an absolute shame that CN never got this far before it went off air, because things have gotten awesome after the initial slow build-up (though the villain's build-up was done rather well) & probably would have gotten me to continue watching the series after it was taken off. Hopefully, I can finish 185-195 before Monday when college starts again.

Seda

Trigun: Badlands Rumble was alright. Some things felt shallow or undercooked but if I look at it like an extended episode rather than a film I'm alright with it. It was fun seeing Vash and his shenanigans again. Wolfwood still the best though.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Shonen Heart wins best Eureka 7 OP cuz it was in Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! 2 & that game was awesome......oh, & the song's rather good as well.

Edit: Uuuuuuugh, episodes 187-189 would have worked better AFTER
Luffy finished his battle with Eneru, it's an interesting look of things before the island was shot up, but to do it right as things are about to end makes me wish they did this AFTER the final confirmation
. Oh well, at least I'm just about done with this arc.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
JYB just posted this on his social pages: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=679696352069588 Maybe they're finally doing work on the final arc?

If by the final arc you mean the manga's final arc.. then no.

If you mean the anime's final arc... then yes, it is surely that. I always assumed they hadn't dubbed that yet.

The real question is: Is 3 months enough lead time for the final arc to be ready by April 26th (when the current arc ends) or is Bleach about to head into another rerun period before then...

....Nah, that's probably enough time to get it ready.

If by the final arc you mean the manga's final arc.. then no.

If you mean the anime's final arc... then yes, it is surely that. I always assumed they hadn't dubbed that yet.

The real question is: Is 3 months enough lead time for the final arc to be ready by April 26th (when the current arc ends) or is Bleach about to head into another rerun period before then...

....Nah, that's probably enough time to get it ready.
I meant the anime's final arc.

Seda

Shonen Heart wins best Eureka 7 OP cuz it was in Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! 2 & that game was awesome......oh, & the song's rather good as well.

Edit: Uuuuuuugh, episodes 187-189 would have worked better AFTER
Luffy finished his battle with Eneru, it's an interesting look of things before the island was shot up, but to do it right as things are about to end makes me wish they did this AFTER the final confirmation
. Oh well, at least I'm just about done with this arc.

Hah, there were several people who moaned at those episodes' 'positioning', myself included.

Raxus

*Watches latest Kill la Kill*

Well...shit.

Glad you are enjoying One Piece Zonic. A lot of people don't like Skypia but it is crucial to the series and is probably referenced the more than any other island in the series.

I liked it but even I admit it moves sloooow at times.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, I remember it had a really slow start at first, trying to set up so much stuff, but it feels like it's finally starting to pay off and such. Though WTF at 189's beginning.
NOBODY ever though "Hey, someone should tell the guy that's exploring the island for research & stuff about the sacred woods & trees and all that. I mean, just to be on the safe side, considering he's most likely never seen them before & might want to do something with them to gather information."

In any case, at the rate I'm going at, maybe I can fit in the filler arc between Skypiea & Davy Fight before I go back to college.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Since Toonami returned, I've added:
Casshern Sins
FMA:B
Soul Eater
Project A:Ko
Michiko + Haitchin

I have exactly four volumes of manga: 2 Cowboy Bebops and the FLCL set.

*Taste, you haves them!*

Just watched A-ko Move + the 3 followup OVA's over the past few days (need to watch the Versus Now), and recently watched Mich-chin, which was pretty enjoyable, if not... weird in many ways.

If Space Dandy can deliver on the oddball sight gag comedy as well as the A-ko works, I hope to really enjoy it. A-ko riffs on freakin' EVERYTHING.

Everyone needs to get the Nausicaa manga. The art is incredible

That... sounds like a good idea.

I have a memory of seeing the Streamline Dub of Naussica on TV at my Grandma's house when I was really young... (I think it was aired on Nickelodeon), and all I remember is thinking that Naussica died under the sand at one point, and feeling sad whenever I saw anything that reminded me of that. Took many a year to figure out what in the world I'd actually seen at the time...

Trigun: Badlands Rumble was alright. Some things felt shallow or undercooked but if I look at it like an extended episode rather than a film I'm alright with it. It was fun seeing Vash and his shenanigans again. Wolfwood still the best though.

Eh. Not everything was well-developed, but I thought the movie did a pretty good job about that overall. Especially compared to the series itself.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Holy crap, OP was doing fine in this 3-parter set of episodes until 189. Not even 1/2 way through the episode & once again, I can't help but rant.
Why didn't he TELL THEM the trees were the source of the disease? Why didn't he tell them "HEY, I found these trees were already dead & were infected by the same thing you guys had, which will spread to you guys again", therefore letting them know on preventing the disease from spreading again. & all we got was "OOPS, should have explained earlier! SORRY."
& it's a shame, they were almost 3 for 3 with this set. At least the rest of the episode is good for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom