• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan14| See you, Space Cowboy. Hello, Space Dandy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or without G.T.O.

brofist

1337517850302.gif

GTO was never on the prewatch, though at the rate were going it'll probably be on there soon with the rate we fly through steins gate and f/z

Don't forget The Power Puff Girls and Cardcaptors

Cardcaptors kicks ass don't you hate

Plus both cardcaptors and power puff girls are action cartoons.

Hamtaro literally was the only show that wasn't traditionally a cartoon show, but it was still a very entertaining kids show. Not a great toonami fit.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Cardcaptors kicks ass don't you hate

Plus both cardcaptors and power puff girls are action cartoons.

Hamtaro literally was the only show that wasn't traditionally a cartoon show, but it was still a very entertaining kids show. Not a great toonami fit.

I remember the Toonami Tumblr mentioning that Hamtaro was forced onto them by execs.
Same thing happened with Wulin Warriors.

I still can't believe Wulin Warriors was a thing.

Exactly. That was old Toonami which was aimed at a younger audience. New Toonami is all about full on action and shows for older people. Would Sailor Moon really fit in? I know you guys are all nostalgic about the show, but you have to think about this objectively. As much as I liked Pokemon Chronicles, there's no way in hell i'd expect it to air on new Toonami.

I remember the Toonami Tumblr mentioning that Hamtaro was forced onto them by execs.
Same thing happened with Wulin Warriors.

I still can't believe Wulin Warriors was a thing.

Wulin Warriors is truly the most baffling thing I've ever seen/heard of. Hamtaro at least I get as it's an anime and at the time was very popular in Japan, but who thought Wulin Warriors was a good idea

Exactly. That was old Toonami which was aimed at a younger audience. New Toonami is all about full on action and shows for older people. Would Sailor Moon really fit in? I know you guys are all nostalgic about the show, but you have to think about this objectively. As much as I liked Pokemon Chronicles, there's no way in hell i'd expect it to air on new Toonami.

Have you actually watched sailor moon? Every single episode ends with a big fight scene. If SAO can fit on New Toonami then Sailor Moon 2014 can.

Sailor moon is an action cartoon and it's original series has been on the block. Its basically power rangers with girls in anime form.

i dunno, their audience is typically guys and even though the miniskirts made young boys line up i'm not sure that'll have the same effect for adult men. Sailor Moon's success was kind of an anomaly that i don't really see them trying to replicate unless they want to try to expand their audience.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Wulin Warriors is truly the most baffling thing I've ever seen/heard of. Hamtaro at least I get as it's an anime and at the time was very popular in Japan, but who thought Wulin Warriors was a good idea

Toonami's final years were very dark.

Have you actually watched sailor moon? Every single episode ends with a big fight scene. If SAO can fit on New Toonami then Sailor Moon 2014 can.
I don't think classic Sailor Moon would fit in with the new toonami and we have no idea what the reboot will be like yet. I'm a fan of the property but it doesn't exactly fit the current identity of the block.

i dunno, their audience is typically guys and even though the miniskirts made young boys line up i'm not sure that'll have the same effect for adult men. Sailor Moon's success was kind of an anomaly that i don't really see them trying to replicate unless they want to try to expand their audience.

So because the shows star females new toonami shouldn't even try to air it? I'm not sure why you'd call SM's success an anomaly when other female lead shows like Cardcaptors and GitS have also done well.

I don't think classic Sailor Moon would fit in with the new toonami and we have no idea what the reboot will be like yet. I'm a fan of the property but it doesn't exactly fit the current identity of the block.

Please explain how an action anime wouldn't fit the image of current Toonami?

LOLDSFAN

I don't see Sailor Moon coming to Toonami either unless it's a runaway hit or something.

Then again they did show GXP and yeah we don't know what the reboot is like so who knows.
wtzgU.gif

So because the shows star females new toonami shouldn't even try to air it? I'm not sure why you'd call SM's success an anomaly when other female lead shows like Cardcaptors and GitS have also done well.

uh, no. because i don't think a "magical girl" show is going to appeal much to an adult male audience. GITS isn't comparable, like, at all.

......well, ok, a magical girl show won't appeal to the adult male audience who's probably watching Adult Swim.

I just want to point out that Cardcaptors did pretty bad on toonami. It ran during the summer of 2001 and then got dropped because:

1. The ratings were awful
2. Turner didn't want to cannibalize ratings of the Kids WB block Cardcaptors also appeared on

Ghost in the Shell isn't doing great numbers currently but a lot of that has to do with the time slot. I have no idea what kind of numbers it pulled on Adult Swim during it's first run but I can try to dig them up if you want.

uh, no. because i don't think a "magical girl" show is going to appeal much to an adult male audience.

......well, ok, to the adult male audience who's probably watching Adult Swim.

That's an awfully big assumption for you to make, why can't the male anime loving audience enjoy magic girl anime? The only times Toonami has aired them were Sailor moon (popular and successful) and card captors (not as popular but still did well). Heck Sailor Moon's manga is getting release in english officially as of last year and it's one of the best selling manga in the us market up there with naruto and deathnote (cause deathnote always sells)

The clearly is an audience for sailor moon, and hey may toonami getting the show brings in a new audience to the block and what a terrible thing that would be.

I'm just saying, I don't really see it resonating with the 18 to 30 year olds or whatever that are the target audience of new Toonami. Then again, they seem to hate FLCL and love Bleach no matter what episode is airing so I don't know what they'd like.

bigkrev

LEAVING THEM ALL BEHIIIIIIIND!

I spent that much building my PC. Worth every penny. Getting an SSD alone justified the hefty price tag.

..... I still haven't bought storage for the computer. Figured while I wait for Newegg and Best Buy to ship my parts, I can get an SSD and HDD from Amazon via Prime

shit.

MikeMyers

I'm just saying, I don't really see it resonating with the 18 to 30 year olds or whatever that are the target audience of new Toonami. Then again, they seem to hate FLCL and love Bleach no matter what episode is airing so I don't know what they'd like.

SAILOR MOON HAS MORE ACTION THAN BLEACH.

*Gucci assassinates me*

That's an awfully big assumption for you to make, why can't the male anime loving audience enjoy magic girl anime? The only times Toonami has aired them were Sailor moon (popular and successful) and card captors (not as popular but still did well). Heck Sailor Moon's manga is getting release in english officially as of last year and it's one of the best selling manga in the us market up there with naruto and deathnote (cause deathnote always sells)

The clearly is an audience for sailor moon, and hey may toonami getting the show brings in a new audience to the block and what a terrible thing that would be.

because the anime-loving audience isn't the majority of Toonami's audience, it's average Adult Swim viewers. are you really going to look at all the shows on that network and tell me that the people who watch those are likely to watch Sailor Moon?

because the anime-loving audience isn't the majority of Toonami's audience, it's average Adult Swim viewers. are you really going to look at all the shows on that network and tell me that the people who watch those are likely to watch Sailor Moon?

Toonami at A panel at momocon already said they would consider new sailor moon if it were licensed. Adult swim's audience bought into sao why wouldn't they buy into sailor moon?

Sailor moon is a romantic dramedy that just happens to have action in it. Sorry man but the show is marketed towards preteen girls and that simply isn't toonami's audience.

Guess we gotta cut InuYasha then

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Man Godamus speaks:

Unless the money doesn't work out new Sailor Moon will be on Toonami the second it is dubbed. The only roadblock I could see would be Nick buying it DBZ Kai style.

It is known.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom