• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan14| See you, Space Cowboy. Hello, Space Dandy

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Space Dandy- Entirely new, to be sure. Sold on it's pedigree, especially that of...Cowboy Bebop, a nostaliga bait show if I ever saw one, but one never under the Toonami Banner.
2. Bleach. Also New...though long running enough to build up a loyal base. Never on Toonami, was the cornerstone of Adult Swim Action though.
3. Naruto Shippuden. New(ish) and still ongoing. Brought because of intense nostalgia for Naruto and loyal fans from the past, but not distant past.
4. One Piece. New and yet also eight and a half years old. Was once on Toonami.
5. Soul Eater. Newish. Score one for non nostalgia.
6. SAO. Brand spanking new.
7. FLCL, Behind Cowboy Bebop as the most nostalgic show you could possibly air on the block.
8. Naruto, Nostaglia driven. Believe it.
9. FMA:B. Getting up there in age. Also brought over because of its relationship with another popular Adult Swim favorite, FMA '03.
10. GITS:SAC. Behind Cowboy Bebop and FLCL as the fourth most nostalgic show you could air.
11. IGPX. It's getting pretty old.
12. Clone Wars. Newish but from a franchise sold almost entirely on nostalgia.
13. Inuyasha. The third oldest show on the block.

Let's take a look at the actual breakdowns

New to toonami:
Space Dandy
Shippuden
Soul Eater
SAO
One Piece (they skipped straight to the new stuff and this isn't the crappy 4kids dub that aired on toonami in the mid 00s)
Casshern Sins
Deadman Wonderland
Kick-Heart
Samurai 7
Sym-Bionic Titan
GXP
Thundercats

Nostalgic (previously aired):
FLCL
Naruto
IGPX
Big O
Bebop

Not related to toonami:
Brotherhood (Adult Swim Action)
GitS (Adult Swim Action)
Clone Wars (CN)
Inuyasha (Adult Swim Action)
Eureka 7 (Adult Swim Action)
Bleach (Adult Swim Action)

If you can't tell by this that toonami isn't a 'nostalgia' block and is trying to forge a new identity, I don't know how to make you understand. Most of what you call 'nostalgia' shows such as Brotherhood, GitS, Clone Wars, Naruto and Inuyasha are there as a cost saving measure, not because DeMarco wants to relive the good ole days. Adult Swim has clearly been very aggressive trying to acquire new shows for the block instead of coasting on memories of the past.

DeMarco has flat out said toonami isn't a nostalgia block multiple times so you really don't have a leg to stand on there. If he wanted to leech off of past success then you'd see stuff like Yu Yu Hakusho, G Gundam, Gundam Wing, Sailor Moon, Batman TAS, Superman TAS, etc on there instead of SAO, Soul Eater, Dandy, Kick-Heart, etc.

The reason so many people tweeted after april fools was fond memories of years gone by. Some sort of feeling of nostalgia. They didn't just add anime back to Saturday nights, they rebranded it to a block they hadn't used since Naruto was still on weeknights.

Yes, twitter exploded because of a nostalgia overload. You're making my point with your third sentence and disproving the notion that it's a 'nostalgia block' like you said here:

...Toonami is a nostalgia block.

Toonami was revived thanks to one night of nostalgia but that doesn't mean the block hasn't warped into something new. The timeslot has switched to late night and with it the target demographics. You don't see shows like The Power Puff Girls, Jonny Quest, SD Gundam, Hamtaro, Ben 10 and Pokemon gracing the block because (in addition to licencing issues) they appeal mainly to children. You may love these shows as an adult because you grew up with them but the vast majority of these programs are enjoyed by kids. The vast majority of adults who made these highly rated shows aren't going to stay up until midnight or later on a Saturday night just to relieve their childhood; the segment of potential viewers who would is minuscule in comparison. I think you underestimate that fact that a lot of these shows were popular due to the fact that they aired weekday afternoons when the target demographic of preeteen/early teenage boys could watch.

Of course it isn't all old shows. Lich King in fact specifically said there are a number of older shows like the original Dragon Ball that he'd love to air but can't because it just wouldn't work. Too damn old. G Gundam is the same. (Gundam Wing if ever remastered would probably make the block though.)

I've already addressed this above.

This argument is super dumb though (I'm glad I had it with you Guuci) because Lichy already expressed interest in the show if it could work out.

A slight dig? Not sure how to interpret this. I always make a point to back up my arguments with facts and sound reasoning so I hope I'm not being called dumb here.

Right now though we have no clue who is localizing and what time frame they have. That's what the spring anime conventions will have to deal with. I'm just saying that I would not be shocked if I were you if Sailor Moon ends up headlining the block sometime in the next year or so.

Same thing with DBZ Kai if the rights ever lapse.

You're entitled to your own opinion, I just think that you're wrong.

Kai is an entirely different beast so it's not really fair to lump that into the conversation.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There's something special about the G Gundam dub. It's not that they are all well known super talented VAs you'd here over and over again (quite the opposite really) but the ones that do a good job add some real weight of emotion to the scenes they are in.

The same show with blatant racism, zombies, giant robot martial arts tournaments also has stirring scenes of real human emotion that will leave you weak!

lol are you actually serious

Shippuden - Disney XD
GXP - Never aired on toonami
Thundercats 2011 - Never aired on toonami
One Piece - 4kids dub aired on toonami, this is completely different and started way past where the show originally left off

lol are you actually serious?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Wait really, you lump Thundercats and GXP of all shows into the new category? Both of those are intentional nostalgia pulls.

Also the last weekend block to air Toonami ended its run with the Funimation dub of One Piece and they clearly mentioned from the get go that they wanted it "back on the block"

Also you're really cutting hairs with the giant list of old shows that while not Toonami aren't in themselves reaching back to the height of the anime boom. Those shows are certainly nostalgia pulls, just not for the Toonami branding.

What you don't realize is that DBZ Kai and Sailor Moon are in the exact same situation. You just aren't accepting it for some strange reason.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I thought the Funi dub aired on Toonami, and the 4kids dub aired on Fox Box?

4Kids dub: Aired Saturday on Fox. Made it to around Arlong. Tanked in the ratings.

Moved to CN. Aired Saturday nights. Made it to....right after Alabasta. Got the rights taken away.

Funimation eventually gets the rights, dubs that part of the show first to hopefully keep some of the audience. Dubs from the end of Albasta to right before Davy Back. Toonami is canceled (or moved back to weekdays just to show Naruto or something, I forget) right around the time it finishes airing. Funimation slowly goes back and dubs from the beginning. As manga sales go on and DVD sales do ok, they start simulcasting the sub episodes starting from a bit after the Thriller Bark arc.

Current state: Dubbed and Subbed through the end of Water Seven. Subbed through the bit after Thriller Bark, leaving only one arc without an official Sub which they will get to before the end of the year.

The dub is about 7 and a half years behind. Toonami airing is about Eight and a half years behind.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Lol ok Mangod if Sailor Moon comes to toonami you can say 'I told you so'

Might have to wait a while.

Agreed. I don't think you're dumb either, I just think you're missing the big picture here. Sailor Moon was a big deal and probably still is.

It's also basically a 50/50 mix of a pure action based show and girls doing girl things. Inuyasha with shorter skirts and a few more cast members, also less dogs.

Shippuden - Disney XD
GXP - Never aired on toonami
Thundercats 2011 - Never aired on toonami
One Piece - 4kids dub aired on toonami, this is completely different and started way past where the show originally left off

lol are you actually serious?

Shippuden exists on this block because of people's nostalgia for Naruto.

GXP is a Tenchi Muyo spin-off. there is literally no other reason for them to get this show.

Thundercats exists because of nostalgia and the original aired on Toonami if you really want to make that the sticking point.

some people still have pretty fond memories of that One Piece dub. don't ask me how, but they're out there and it was most people's first exposure to the franchise in the first place.

so yeah, i am serious because you're clearly splitting hairs here. i don't really give much of a shit about this discussion anymore, but this little list is straight-up ridiculous.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Also they did show a non insignificant portion of the Funi dub on Toonami. Skypeia and the filler before it is long.

Agreed. I don't think you're dumb either, I just think you're missing the big picture here. Sailor Moon was a big deal and probably still is.

It's also basically a 50/50 mix of a pure action based show and girls doing girl things. Inuyasha with shorter skirts and a few more cast members, also less dogs.

Alright I wasn't sure how to interpret that post, tone can get lost in translation online haha.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that Sailor Moon is still a big deal here in America. Bass provides a link to the manga sales which was great but I don't go to cons or anything like that so it's hard for me to measure. I obviously don't hang out with kids anymore but it seems like they're all into Pokemon, not Sailor Moon. I don't have any adult friends that talk about it or own merch either and I'm a very social person.

I watched Sailor Moon growing up and loved it. Heck, I watched the hot springs episode just a few days ago for kicks. I just have a hard time believing it will come to toonami because:

1. the target demographic of the block has shifted
2. I don't think it's as popular with the AS crowd and won't bring in droves of oldschool viewers purely based off nostalgia
3. the block is forging a new identity, although it does use the past as a launch pad

I'd be happy to turn out wrong though, I guess we'll have to wait and see!

EDIT: forgot to mention, gmn, I'm on mobile and clicked the reveal post option by mistake. Couldn't resist responding and then putting you back on ignore. Sorry brah.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Pirate Rap > GT Rap.

Ummm, yes, yes it is.

Also for no reason I decided to look at the Funimation Channels schedule (it's been about two years since FIOS dropped it) and daaaaaamn, they are finally running some good shows on it! Bad ones too like War on Geminar and E7 AO.

YYH, Fairy Tail, Spice and Wolf, FMP!, Princess Jellyfish...

Ummm, yes, yes it is.

Also for no reason I decided to look at the Funimation Channels schedule (it's been about two years since FIOS dropped it) and daaaaaamn, they are finally running some good shows on it! Bad ones too like War on Geminar and E7 AO.

YYH, Fairy Tail, Spice and Wolf, FMP!, Princess Jellyfish...

Wait Fairy Tail has a dub? Or do they show subs?

What's going on with the pre-watch block this week?

Kayos cancelled it

Man God

Non-Canon Member
FT has three seasons of it dubbed. I mean it'll have to be dubbed considering it'll appear on Toonami in six weeks...

Maybe.

Nah, it's got a dub. It got picked up by Funi a while back, I'm pretty sure it's been getting dubbed for DVD releases.
Is Fairy Tail really as awful as everyone says? I know Bass thinks it's decent but I've noticed that a lot of the regulars here aren't fans.

Putting someone on ignore is not very Shonen. You have to kick his ass and then he'll be your buddy for life.

You don't want to see 5 page long arguments, this is for the greater good of the thread lol

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Is Fairy Tail really as awful as everyone says? I know Bass thinks it's decent but I've noticed that a lot of the regulars here aren't fans.

You don't want to see 5 page long arguments, this is for the greater good of the thread lol

It's watchable. and giffable. and mockable. It's perfect for Toonami.

It's better than SAO.

FT has three seasons of it dubbed. I mean it'll have to be dubbed considering it'll appear on Toonami in six weeks...

Maybe.

You think that's the SAO replacement? Isn't it a long running series? I think Bleach would be a good replacement, I'd be worried about bogging down the front end of the block with long running shonen.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Soul Eater's replacement actually. Equivalent exchange and all (they said this doesn't matter of course!)

It's either going to be something minor to tide them over with a schedule reshuffle and a short show added in later or something big and shonen and requested yet not super expensive and Fairy Tail basically hits all of those criteria.

You can tell its not expensive as it airs on the Funimation Channel!

Crocodile

Sailor Moon is up there with DBZ as an anime that is still a respectable part of the Western anime zeitgeist. I still hear and see grown ass men and women IRL talk about Sailor Moon today! If the new Sailor Moon anime is good and targeted at all ages rather than specifically at little girls it will grab A LOT of attention. It would be silly of Toonami to not at least consider it (and its clear they already are as I also recall Demarco citing interest in it). If Inuyasha can pull in respectable numbers, a Sailor Moon anime that has as much wide appeal as the classic series will do fine. They, the producers back in Japan, just have to make sure they don't overdo it on the "moe" or cute or whatever. That wasn't a problem the original show had but we still know too little about the new one to say anything. I'm also unsure how much of the Sailor Moon audience might stick around to catch Bleach :p

Apparently a sequel to the anime is coming out? Any idea if it's a reboot like HxH 2011 or a continuation like Shippuden? Also which series would toonami go after?

Edit: Btw I tweeted at DeMarco asking about Sailor Moon so hopefully we'll get a concrete answer, although I'm not holding my breath.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Oooh, the actual match. I would have gone for the training montage myself.

EDIT: Fumoffu is only 21 bucks on Amazon right now... I don't really buy anime anymore but...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Actually, no!

FIX IT.

You even have my permission to expedite it and skip Full Metal Panic! and Second Raid.

You won't be lost. In fact you'll be found.

I'm forever grateful to The Funimation Channel for introducing me to based Fumoffu. Had seen just a bit of FMP and figured it was good but not something I needed. Fumoffu though...is another beast entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom