• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan14| See you, Space Cowboy. Hello, Space Dandy

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
yes

if it feels heavy-handed in the moment, it feels heavy-handed in the moment. You can't retroactively fix how I felt about it when I first watched it. You can perhaps justify it, but the initial introduction will always be a bit stumbly.

I actually felt like a lot of her innocence overload was given justification once we found out she wasn't just a normal NPC, but a helper AI made to be comforting to the players. Though she lost her memory, she acted in a way consistent with her programing; she went out of her way to make them feel at ease in the situation they were in.

I like how she went from completely helpless, to childish, yet with appropriate authority, once she regained who she was.

I guess you could say I kept my views about her open until her arc completed, rather than being fully turned off at the start. But they do say "you never get a second chance to make a first impression"...

Although to be honest I thought SAO introduced Yui in a perfectly acceptable manner, over a number of episodes (although it then got creepy cos Asuna was creepin'). They just... developed her weirdly.

SAO develops with very little pacing at all, but I rarely mind it's ends, basically. I think the means are jarring through, because it's a show that expects me to be on the same page they're on with EVERYTHING, rather than giving me situations and characters that evolve in ways I personally desire.

I guess it's just the modern, prevalent Japanese story-writing / world-growing style. A very small focus is presented to a very small group of people, and every decision is made simply to make those people happy.

It's... really alienating to everyone else, though.

you are a smart person SAB

(O.O) !! BAKA! It's not like I was trying to sound smart or anything! (-///-)

*ahem* Seriously though, Thanks! :) I appreciate your input in this manner as well, it's well-formed and thoughtful!

Going to rewatch the last GITS complex episode (the round table laughing man discussion) before watching the SA because I fell asleep at the end of it.

There is an art to both comedy criticism and parody criticism, you can't seem to do either. What made MTS3K work was that the movies they watched as a whole were awful and pretty funny on their own right, they then added commentary that further made the problems of the films even more hysterical.

All you do is post really unfunny comments or horribly generic criticism that out of context could be about half the shows on the Toonami block. What makes Toonami fun/enjoyable is watching the reactions of first time viewers and/or experiencing something new you haven't seen before. Yes sometimes we poke fun of the things we see in these shows, but most of us aren't trying to find things to hate or make fun of, we just give our honest reactions and thoughts. When you admit yourself that you're enjoying the show but try to make fun of it with really unfunny comments or jabs it just makes you annoying.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
sorry for the lack of activity guys, but anime, gaming, and the speedrunning event thats been going on all week is in the way, is there a preblock tonight?

I will do my best to be here right at the start, but I am a Saints fan and I am beat.

....and I have a Pelicans game en Espanol to run before Toonami.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I will do my best to be here right at the start, but I am a Saints fan and I am beat.

....and I have a Pelicans game en Espanol to run before Toonami.

yeah, depending on whats showing on the preblock I might have to miss because of the WWHD then chrono trigger is after that and ive never seen a chrono trigger speedrun before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom