• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan14| See you, Space Cowboy. Hello, Space Dandy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You should start with the original anime for that true authentic experience.

That anime is...oh...80% of the reason I don't follow HxH. The rest is I don't like how generic the character designs are.

You should start with the original anime for that true authentic experience.

That anime is...oh...80% of the reason I don't follow HxH. The rest is I don't like how generic the character designs are.

You should change that decision and either read the manga or watch the superior 2011 anime. It'd be like saying you don't follow fma manga/brotherhood because you didn't like the 03 anime and how it ended.

Do we know why the Gogol fleet is after Dandy?

Nope, this still hasn't been explained for some reason. All we know is that they're at war with another empire for control of the universe so I'm guessing Dandy plays some sort of important role in this battle.

they just showed a new promo for Space Dandy.

he is a horrible shot: confirmed

Now to wait for YouTube upload

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLDfDYQm92g

HxH Toonami GAF time? So how's everyone doing after last week's episode of the anime?

Talk about a cliff hanger! I'm so glad we're finally getting into some action, this should be one hell of a ride.

Nope, this still hasn't been explained for some reason. All we know is that they're at war with another empire for control of the universe so I'm guessing Dandy plays some sort of important role in this battle. .

Dandy is clearly immortal and has the power to slip between realities, break the space time continuum, and breathe in space, who wouldn't want him?

After watching basically every major shonen's approach to when they catch up to the manga I've come up with a list of my personal preferences.

1. Ideal Solution: Seasons. Just take some damn time off every year. Since you want the product to remain hot I guess you could hire someone else to do an awesome Rock Lee style show...or you can just make sure you end on high notes to keep people coming back. This...never happens.

2. The DBZ five minutes on Namek for half a year. Recaps....the same flashback over and over. DBZ mastered it, One Piece inherited the mantle though even then they still have filler to promote a movie or just a really short stop over between arcs.

3. Short small bursts of filler. I like these a lot especially when they go full on comedy with them. They don't all have to be one offs either. Just make they don't turn into...

4. Long ass filler arcs. I hate these. Even good ones tend to drag on too long and feel hollow compared to the real deal.

5. Don't be bleach. Bleach is the worst combination of 2 through 4.

The problem with most shonen anime adaptations is that they either need the Brotherhood treatment or the Kai treatment.

Only a few exceptions subvert that.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
That macro should be changed to Sprigga to go along with SAO. Pic is gone, so strike the previous statement.

daveo42

Banned
But only jerks don't like FMA 03 as a whole.

How it ended on the other hand...

FMA was wonky in parts and that reveal near the end was a bit on the crazy side, even if it did work within the mechanics of the world. Manga spoiler
similar to the idea that Al's real body was actively taking energy from Ed, stunting his growth and making Ed sleep a bit more, at least based on Al's observation of his real body.

The original just meant that they could easily tack on movies to flesh out the remainder of their universe, while Brotherhood wraps up all the loose ends within the context of the series.

I loved the original, but I don't think I could ever go back after Brotherhood.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
You know, I don't think I'd mind Bleach's style of "filler" much, if not for 2 things:

1. They didn't use such obvious set-ups so often (Reason for Captains to fight each other, new enemy from nowhere challenge everyone, is ridiculously powerful for something that is never mentioned otherwise.)

2. They worked tighter with Kubo to make the filler Passively-canon. The story has MORE than enough characters to where filler could simply be used to develop aspects Kubo never got to / never will get to. Show the results in the manga / games / in the anime itself, and the usefulness of such long "meanwhile..." arcs would increase.

I really didn't hate the Bount arc, personally. Waiting to see the story continue proper was a bit annoying, but the arc itself had some pretty cool moments, and I really enjoyed getting to see some uses of powers that felt reasonable enough to be canon.

I also never liked how the Vizard / Vizored just kinda seem... barely there. It would have been nice to see one of them become a regular that hangs around Ichigo, or to at least try fitting them into each action that happens from introduction. Fighting VS Aizen and Co. was cool, but their overall impact just seems a little more lukewarm than I want it to be.

Otherwise, however, I haven't had much issue with Kagerosa's arc. The animation and art has been really nice at times, the fleshing out of characters through yet another convoluted method has been fairly appreciated, and the snippets of dealing with aftereffects of things that occurred due to Aizen at least makes the arc feel like it's trying to be a "real" story.

Canon Bleach isn't so much higher in quality than Filler Bleach, to where it matters all that much. The filler often has better pacing, and stronger consequences for the filler-spawn characters.

Tamanon

Banned
You know, I don't think I'd mind Bleach's style of "filler" much, if not for 2 things:

1. They didn't use such obvious set-ups so often (Reason for Captains to fight each other, new enemy from nowhere challenge everyone, is ridiculously powerful for something that is never mentioned otherwise.)

2. They worked tighter with Kubo to make the filler Passively-canon. The story has MORE than enough characters to where filler could simply be used to develop aspects Kubo never got to / never will get to. Show the results in the manga / games / in the anime itself, and the usefulness of such long "meanwhile..." arcs would increase.

I really didn't hate the Bount arc, personally. Waiting to see the story continue proper was a bit annoying, but the arc itself had some pretty cool moments, and I really enjoyed getting to see some uses of powers that felt reasonable enough to be canon.

I also never liked how the Vizard / Vizored just kinda seem... barely there. It would have been nice to see one of them become a regular that hangs around Ichigo, or to at least try fitting them into each action that happens from introduction. Fighting VS Aizen and Co. was cool, but their overall impact just seems a little more lukewarm than I want it to be.

Otherwise, however, I haven't had much issue with Kagerosa's arc. The animation and art has been really nice at times, the fleshing out of characters through yet another convoluted method has been fairly appreciated, and the snippets of dealing with aftereffects of things that occurred due to Aizen at least makes the arc feel like it's trying to be a "real" story.

Canon Bleach isn't so much higher in quality than Filler Bleach, to where it matters all that much. The filler often has better pacing, and stronger consequences for the filler-spawn characters.

I wouldn't be surprised if the anime house isn't allowed to delve too much into character pasts and motivations. I would think Kubo would put a lockdown on any sort of "real" filler.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bleach really would be perfect for it. Do a real filler arc about what other characters are doing. Wait a minute though, isn't there one of those right in the middle of Heuco Mundo that sucks though?

I wouldn't be surprised if the anime house isn't allowed to delve too much into character pasts and motivations. I would think Kubo would put a lockdown on any sort of "real" filler.

You say that but oda (one piece), kishimoto (naruto), mashima (fairy tail), arakawa (fma), and nightow (trigun) have all assisted the anime teams for there various series giving them cut content to adapt (oda with how usopp got his new goggles), ideas to help take the story in a different direction due to little content to adapt (aka fma 03), or given entire ideas for arcs that were planned but cut from the manga (most of fairy tail's filler arcs).

It really isn't that uncommon for an anime team making an adaptation to be in contact with the original mangaka. Maybe kubo has given advice to the anime team but I've never heard it before

Bleach really would be perfect for it. Do a real filler arc about what other characters are doing. Wait a minute though, isn't there one of those right in the middle of Heuco Mundo that sucks though?

Isn't that the filler arc that interrupts the ichigo vs uqlorria fight? No amount of quality filler would forgive interrupting one of the best fights in the series

i just don't understand why this Bleach arc has used the clone concept to have people fight THEMSELVES. there are a couple exceptions, but those are the characters nobody cares about. and even if later on it actually delivers on the concept it was probably created for at all, by then it's kinda too little too late.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
We've got some of the early ones people wanted so far and heck, I like starting with the jobbers and having them lose to make the clones look like a real threat.

Most shows do the clone thing and have them be quite inferior to the real product. Not this time. Maybe I wouldn't have used all these particular low ranking characters but the idea is fine.

It's the execution so far that's been bad.

i just don't understand why this Bleach arc has used the clone concept to have people fight THEMSELVES. there are a couple exceptions, but those are the characters nobody cares about. and even if later on it actually delivers on the concept it was probably created for at all, by then it's kinda too little too late.

Rukia, renji, kenpachi, byakuya, and toshiro are all popular and all got mirror matches. Heck The only really unpopular characters who got them were those vice captains in that 3 v 3 match and at least those fights were all in the same episode so each was quick

Rukia, renji, kenpachi, byakuya, and toshiro are all popular and all got mirror matches. Heck The only really unpopular characters who got them were those vice captains in that 3 v 3 match and at least those fights were all in the same episode so each was quick

oh, no, i mean there are a couple exceptions to the characters having to fight themselves, and the only matchups were with characters no one cares about. i think the only one worth mentioning so far has been like Yamamoto vs. .....those guys whose names i don't remember (though i wouldn't call them characters nobody cares about, i just don't know what the hell their names are)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Is Renji actually popular though? Can't disagree with the rest.

I loved the big furry dude versus girl who loves the cat (Soi Fong? something like that) fight though and they are two of the most forgettable captains there are.

oh, no, i mean there are a couple exceptions to the characters having to fight themselves, and the only matchups were with characters no one cares about. i think the only one worth mentioning so far has been like Yamamoto vs. .....those guys whose names i don't remember (though i wouldn't call them characters nobody cares about, i just don't know what the hell their names are)

Coughing guy and pink samurai with the third hokage's voice. Actually fairly key characters from the SS arc.

Tamanon

Banned

Kyouraku and Ukitake. Personally I've always loved Kyouraku's character and design.

Except I just named every mirror match in the arc thus far, 5 of the 8 were popular characters, the rest of the fights haven't been mirror matches.

Is Renji actually popular though? Can't disagree with the rest.

I loved the big furry dude versus girl who loves the cat (Soi Fong? something like that) fight though and they are two of the most forgettable captains there are.

With the exception of the first poll which was right after his introduction (he was 23rd) he's ranked 3rd, 4th, 11th in pure popularity, his zampakto was 6th most popular, and his fight with Ichigo was 4th most popular in the series.

anyway, my point is basically that it seems like you would create this concept in order to have matchups that would never actually happen within the series and fans are clamoring for. and they've just kinda settled for stuff like Byakuya vs. Byakuya.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
anyway, my point is basically that it seems like you would create this concept in order to have matchups that would never actually happen within the series and fans are clamoring for. and they've just kinda settled for stuff like Byakuya vs. Byakuya.

If they wanted the captains to fight each other they could have just had a tournament. Just say Old Man Genocide was bored and wanted some entertainment.

Isn't that exactly what mirror matches against clones are? Lol

I mean we have gotten toshiro vs byakuya was is a fan girl wet dream really after that no other what if match appeals to the fans that much lol

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Except I just named every mirror match in the arc thus far, 5 of the 8 were popular characters, the rest of the fights haven't been mirror matches.

With the exception of the first poll which was right after his introduction (he was 23rd) he's ranked 3rd, 4th, 11th in pure popularity, his zampakto was 6th most popular, and his fight with Ichigo was 4th most popular in the series.

That's crazy! They should rank Chad that high instead.

Isn't that exactly what mirror matches against clones are? Lol

I mean we have gotten toshiro vs byakuya was is a fan girl wet dream really after that no other what if match appeals to the fans that much lol

well, you know what i mean. "they're all gonna fight THEMSELVES!" just seems like a waste of potential here.

If they wanted the captains to fight each other they could have just had a tournament. Just say Old Man Genocide was bored and wanted some entertainment.

I would be down for a what if arc that brings back dead characters and is just a tourney arc where anyone has a chance to win. That would work pretty well for A lot of shonen actually.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
He just got neglected for Ichigo's newer, cooler friends with swords and masks.

He's the coolest human by far though.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I still don't get that forced racism

It kind of reminds me of seeing a person playing a class against their race in something like FFXI. Who wanted a Taru-Taru warrior, or a Galkan mage taking up a spot, when you could have something that was actually... USEFUL?

Or fighting alongside a Battle Priest or Pure-Melee Wizard pre-Battle Sage in RO... the initial idea is just "This is stupid, what a waste of time, you just lower my Kills-per-hour", etc, etc... but it's always cool to see someone make the abnormality work.

Spriggan's seem to be based around Illusions and trickery, but Kiri-sama has figured out some way to make them powerful and threatening.

A little IRL relation would have helped through (like mentioning how the class is always played by the dregs of society, or maybe tying some of the horrors of SAO to a player than became a Sprig in AFO.)

They're probably not allowed to do it normally, but that doesn't mean they couldn't agree on it after a time, and make it work going forward. (BassForever pointed out that it's happened more than I've heard of, which I'm glad to see!)

It'd just be very cool to see a popular anime and manga growing in cooperation with each other, rather than clumsily diminishing each other.

Seda

I liked the fight too. Good animation and limited the blahblahblahblahblah that Bleach often throws into the confrontations. Bazooka is still silly of course.

Best human character is Orihime's friend that Kubo refuses to give some kind of power to. Seriously she didn't instantly melt when confronted by Aizen, the fact Orihime got powers over her is criminal

It kind of reminds me of seeing a person playing a class against their race in something like FFXI. Who wanted a Taru-Taru warrior, or a Galkan mage taking up a spot, when you could have something that was actually... USEFUL?

Or fighting alongside a Battle Priest or Pure-Melee Wizard pre-Battle Sage in RO... the initial idea is just "This is stupid, what a waste of time, you just lower my Kills-per-hour", etc, etc... but it's always cool to see someone make the abnormality work.

Spriggan's seem to be based around Illusions and trickery, but Kiri-sama has figured out some way to make them powerful and threatening.

A little IRL relation would have helped through (like mentioning how the class is always played by the dregs of society, or maybe tying some of the horrors of SAO to a player than became a Sprig in AFO.)

i just kind of assumed everybody was racist against everybody because of the whole "ONLY ONE WILL GET THE ULTIMATE POWER" thing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Best human character is Orihime's friend that Kubo refuses to give some kind of power to. Seriously she didn't instantly melt when confronted by Aizen, the fact Orihime got powers over her is criminal

Wasn't she a huge deal in the first part of the manga? She's basically Iruka.

Levyne

Banned
Both her and the dark haired sister are implied (or straight out shown?) to be able to sense spirits but to my knowledge nothing is done with either of them. Not that Bleach needs more characters, I'm unsure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom