• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

Quadratic

After this demonstration by the taxi companies they've totally lost me as a customer. I'm always going uber or TTC. Heck, I'd rather walk.

After this demonstration by the taxi companies they've totally lost me as a customer. I'm always going uber or TTC. Heck, I'd rather walk.

Yeah, I have given taxis defense on here because they are generally not that bad to use and people like to make them sound a lot worse than they are. I have never had an issue with them.

This though, it's getting disgusting. I don't understand how they thought this was a good idea.

They are driving people into the hands of their competition. It's embarrassing.

Apparently some cop got hit this morning on his bike. Good job cabbies.

Yeah, At Yonge & Eglinton a cabbie hit a bicycle cop. When the cop knocked on the cabbies door the cabbie just drove off while the cop hung onto the side mirror as he was speeding. Basically the cop almost got killed cause a cabbie felt threatened by Uber, or some shit, he smelt the scent of Uber on that cops cell phone or something. Fuck if I know. God their 'protest' succeeded in basically destroying the public perception of the taxi industry. Have they started throwing concrete bricks at cars yet? Or setting things on fire? Because I think that's where they're basically getting at now.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Taxi companies should've been smart and had their drivers go in undercover as Uber drivers to ruin the experience for everybody using Uber. Kinda like what the Democrats are doing with Donald Trump.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I did read Beck taxi was saying this demonstration was stupid.

So at least one of them seems to realize that.

Hope that dickhead is charged.

I honestly don't know anyone who uses taxis. Tourists and rich dudes working in the financial district are basically the only people I ever see in a taxi.

Wish Toronto had "collectivos" like in a lot of South America - which are basically a taxi car but it follows a specified route like a bus and has a capacity of 4 passengers. You can get it to stop anywhere along the route and it will pick up people anywhere along the route waving the driver down if the car is not full. Routes are long too as you can easily get from one side of the city to another for the 70 cent flat rate fare. Everyone uses them and there is no shortage. Literally every 3rd or 4th car on the streets is a collectivo.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I did read Beck taxi was saying this demonstration was stupid.

So at least one of them seems to realize that.
Doesn't matter, they're painted with the same brush in the public's eye.

In other news, this popped up on my FB feed today.

McDonald’s debuts North America’s first standalone McCafé in Toronto — and it serves Egg McMuffins all day

McDonald’s Canada is taking on Tim Hortons and Starbucks in one go by opening standalone versions of its successful McCafé concept in highly-trafficked areas of Toronto — the first outlets of their kind in North America.

But the new outlets, opening Wednesday in the commuter hub of Toronto’s Union Station and in January inside the highly trafficked downtown Exchange Tower, represent a bold step for McDonald’s Canada, which has managed to escape the sales troubles faced by its U.S. counterpart, due in no small part to the burgeoning growth of its coffee and breakfast business. The new standalone locations will be rolled out across Canada if they perform well, and could stand to meaningfully grow the mature chain’s market share.

In addition to its fast-growing category of coffee, the standalone McCafés will have an entirely new lineup of soups, salads, cold and hot sandwiches and bagels, as well as baked goods. It also has an ace up its sleeve that answers a longtime consumer demand — all-day servings of its four varieties of McDonald’s Egg McMuffins.

The menu is a big change, too: In addition to the existing staples of McMuffins and a new line of sweet baked goods, it boasts a selection that would appeal to its key competitors’ customer bases — from comfort food offerings such as a classic grilled cheese or a roast chicken sandwich, to on-trend salads and sandwiches. Newer dishes include ingredients such as edamame and sriracha and a broader array of vegetarian options — a lentil and sweet potato hummus wrap with kale sells for $5.99 and it costs $6.99 for a kale and brussel sprouts salad with mixed vegetables.

Initial prices appear to be competitive: Starbucks sells a sausage, cheddar and egg English muffin breakfast sandwich for $3.95, (compared with $3.59 for an Egg McMuffin with meat options); Starbucks’ lineup of cold sandwiches ranges around the $6.95 price point, as does McCafé’s; and Starbucks’ newer salads cost $8.95, versus $6.99 to $7.99 for McCafé’s large salads.

Walked by Queen and Bay. Looks like they've occupied the intersection and traffic is all fucked now. Uh, stick to PATH and the TTC then I guess.

EDIT: Shamefully stolen from Reddit. Queen streetcar is obviously not running. Apparently they prevented EMS from getting through the intersection as well.

5Iric9C.jpg

Doesn't matter, they're painted with the same brush in the public's eye.

In other news, this popped up on my FB feed today.

McDonald’s debuts North America’s first standalone McCafé in Toronto — and it serves Egg McMuffins all day

Finally some good news. It sounds like they're opening up another one in First Canadian Place next year. I'd still prefer if they offered all-day breakfast everywhere. The only fast-food places I tend to go to if I need a good, junky (possibly hungover) breakfast is A&W and McDonald's in no particular order. Tim Hourtons is still the absolute fucking worst

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh. Terrible day a work. Need switch but I turned down that other offer. Lot of hoops to jump through for a pay cut at a different place.

That taxi driver is such an idiot...

I have a family member who been an on-again-off-again toronto taxi driver for almost 20 years and been a wheel-trans taxi driver for most of it. It cost him a lot to get that license but he claims the insurance and regulations is part of the reason why its better to be one than some Uber driver.

Taxi drivers usually can barely make ends meet but they have to break the bank to be one unlike Uber drivers. I can see where the animosity comes from.

But then again I'm ignorant about all this and never really use taxis.

dluu13

any of you guys been to Deer Garden? so good mang

The one in Markham? I've been there a couple of times when my friend came over for an internship and was missing the Deer Gardens from Vancouver. I've been to the ones in Vancouver a few times too and they're all similar.

zroid

Banned
The one in Markham? I've been there a couple of times when my friend came over for an internship and was missing the Deer Gardens from Vancouver. I've been to the ones in Vancouver a few times too and they're all similar.

Yeah. Is that the only location around here? I know it originated in Van.

I love their Spicy Szechuan soup.

Quick

Banned
It's one of those noodle places where you build your own noodle bowl with different toppings, soups, and noodles. I haven't been able to go since that friend went back home because it's so far.

Oh damn. I'm always down for noodle places. And there's a Scarborough location. Might try this out with some friends soon then.

i-Jest

City did blitzes on Uber X drivers but never users afaik. While I do agree it's a bit unfair, the taxi companies did this to themselves.

Agreed. The way I see it, competition comes along and does what you do better. How do you adapt to the change? If you cant then make way for the homo superior. Is this not apart of capitalism? Businesses compete and innovate to be better than the other.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Fuck y'all I love 30 degree days, just take out the humidity and it's fine.

We should be united against humidity and wind chill not temperatures!

Anyone know where to buy a Huawei P8 Lite phone protective case in the downtown area? I know it's not a very common phone but it's what my wife has so I need a case for it since she always drops her phones. I'm sure Pacific Mall would have it but I'd like to avoid going all the way out there if possible.

Quadratic

Anyone know where to buy a Huawei P8 Lite phone protective case in the downtown area? I know it's not a very common phone but it's what my wife has so I need a case for it since she always drops her phones. I'm sure Pacific Mall would have it but I'd like to avoid going all the way out there if possible.

I would check out that cell phone accessory store at the N/E corner of Dundas and Spadina near the Royal Bank. If that fails, there's always Dragon city across the street or Chinatown Centre.

Top Bottom