• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

This is your punishment
7VmIp.jpg
i don't see coors light.

Mupod

fridays are reaaaly tough for me (case in point: I'm still at work) and might be impossible in March onwards since I'm moving. But I'll do my best to make the next meetup.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
My friend was looking at homes for his family, and he said he is 100% moving out of Toronto. Since instead of something attached or a condo, he can buy a fully detached place with a nice piece of land for less. Honestly so worth it, even if you have to drive for an hour to work. At least you arent crammed between a dozen people. Just having a nice piece of land to do shit on.

I am definitely doing the same thing. Missisauga also seems not be not an option anymore, since someone I know just got something there for 540,000. And its attached and has a tiny yard.

lol... buying in the Vancouver region is terribly expensive. A condo here is generally $400k upward. Detached is averaging a million in Vancouver city now.

dluu13

lol... buying in the Vancouver region is terribly expensive. A condo here is generally $400k upward. Detached is averaging a million in Vancouver city now.

My family was lucky. We got our place near 41/Victoria back in 1997 and it has at least doubled in value by now. We are staying put though.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I've heard Vancouver can just be as bad as Toronto when it comes to housing prices. I wonder how much of that is the Asians just buying it up or speculating though.

dluu13

Yeah I've heard Vancouver can just be as bad as Toronto when it comes to housing prices. I wonder how much of that is the Asians just buying it up or speculating though.

It's quite a lot. I found an older news paper article from summer last year:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/vancouvers-housing-market-fuelled-by-chinese-buyers-study/article27064577/
The study found that two-thirds of all sales of detached houses in the University Endowment Lands, Dunbar and Point Grey neighbourhoods were purchased by buyers with non-anglicized Chinese names. That group purchased 88 per cent of houses priced at more than $5-million.

But further, the study found that on titles held by a single owner, the most common occupation was homemaker – 52 properties; 18 per cent were business people and 6 per cent of owners were students.

explodet

I heard Vancouver was worse.
That's where the #DontHave1Million thing started.
"Chinese Homemaker" was a surprisingly lucrative career in British Columbia.

dluu13

I heard Vancouver was worse.
That's where the #DontHave1Million thing started.
"Chinese Homemaker" was a surprisingly lucrative career in British Columbia.

Well, I'm paying less for rent where I live now than I would if I was still living in an equivalent part of Vancouver, that's for sure.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I'm at the yonge and Lawrence Loblaws and Its pretty hilarious how different the rich people loblaws is versus the one I usually go to.

There is an oyster bar and a dry age beef pantry.

I'm at the yonge and Lawrence Loblaws and Its pretty hilarious how different the rich people loblaws is versus the one I usually go to.

That reminds me of how different the LCBO is where I live now in the Annex verses the one in Scarborough where I grew up. The one in Scarborough had thousands of 40s of malt liquor stacked to the ceiling and the one in the Annex doesn't carry malt liquor and has a way more expensive wine and scotch collection.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

My loblaws is the only one that sells beer downtown I believe. The make over was pretty nuts too.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

The well off in the area don't bother with Loblaws, they send their housekeeper to Pusateri's on Avenue Rd.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
So finally found the beer section at my Loblaws. Quite underwhelming as there was just two incredibly tiny shells of beer unless I missed something. You're not allowed to self check out (I'd laugh my ass off if you could). And it was a mix of the stuff in my "world's finest beer" joke pic and local craft brewer stuff. There wasn't anything unique or special about the craft beer there and even the shitty LCBO near my place has a better selection.

Still, I guess it's a first step towards hopefully expanding the selection and the stores allowed to carry it.

There was a surprisingly decent amount of people there buying stuff too.

Quick

Banned
I'm curious to see who they get to do it because I assume none of the original live-action cast will do it.

If it's anything like the Back to the Future live reading at Fan Expo, it would be a ton of fun.

The BTTF live reading had a bunch of big voice actors and were instructed to read scenes in different voices.

Phil LaMarr was impersonating Snoop Dogg reading Doc Brown's voice. It was amazing. Nolan North used his Penguin voice in another scene as well.

N° 2048

This is a dumb question but do you guys tip pizza deliveries and if so how much do you tip?

If there is a delivery charge I only tip 1 or 2 bucks. If there is no delivery charge then 3 or 4 bucks.

Super late but non caring driver = no tip

Super late but driver says sorry and gives valid reason = will still tip.

Super early delivery = good tip no matter what.

dluu13

So finally found the beer section at my Loblaws. Quite underwhelming as there was just two incredibly tiny shells of beer unless I missed something. You're not allowed to self check out (I'd laugh my ass off if you could). And it was a mix of the stuff in my "world's finest beer" joke pic and local craft brewer stuff. There wasn't anything unique or special about the craft beer there and even the shitty LCBO near my place has a better selection.

Still, I guess it's a first step towards hopefully expanding the selection and the stores allowed to carry it.

Is that the one by the lake?

Quadratic

It's not just Loblaws. I can technically buy beer at the Korean Supermarket near me. It's not as close as the LCBO but it's a start in getting alcohol in a wider variety of places. The dream is still having it available at the mom and pop variety stores.

http://www.galleriasm.com/pagecompany/GNK_NewsDetail.aspx?Seq=126&SortBy=Seq&CurrPage=1

If there is a delivery charge I only tip 1 or 2 bucks. If there is no delivery charge then 3 or 4 bucks.

Super late but non caring driver = no tip

Super late but driver says sorry and gives valid reason = will still tip.

Super early delivery = good tip no matter what.

A couple of bucks at most.

I see. I was just wondering whether I was being too stingy with the tip as I usually just round it up so I don't get change in coins.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
This is a dumb question but do you guys tip pizza deliveries and if so how much do you tip?

It sucks, because the driver probably doesn't see any cash from the delivery charge, but if that's there, the tip is probably only going to be a couple of bucks. Generally, if the bill is $21.23, I'll give $25 cash.

Delivery chargers for other food (ie; Chinese) seems more rare, so they usually get $5+. Especially if we frequent them. We use to tip Yummy near Roncesvalles pretty well because it's just a husband and wife restaurant, often with their son doing the delivery.

The LCBO will always have a much better selection

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Roto13

How much should I expect to pay a dentist for an exam and xrays downtown? I need to call around tomorrow and I want a baseline to compare their rates to. I don't know what's considered "reasonable."

Top Bottom