• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

explodet

Amalgamation pretty much brought infrastructure decisions to a screeching halt. Toronto was essentially paralyzed because they can't make any decisions. Nobody can agree on anything and when they do it's election time.
Thanks, Common Sense Revolution!

I always thought it was crazy that Liberty Village and Spadina (CityPlace?) residents had no mass transit option. I guess Liberty Village has the Go Train but it'd be a waste of money to take it to Union.

It's not up to me, unless you know where I can find another place 15-20 minutes from the airport for 500 a month. Kinda curious what the problem is, not like it's much of a shift geographically...already on the north side of Etobicoke.
I lived in Brampton half my life. It is very bad and only getting worse. Where you at more specifically in Etobicoke? My other half of life has been spent in Etobicoke and most of it is heaven compared to Brampton.

Brampton is funny because the population must be over 600,000 and I swear the infrastructure is that of a town of 30,000 people. Worst drivers in the world, roads are a piece of shit, shady ass people everywhere trying to rob you, housing is expensive, car and house insurance are expensive and possibly the most expensive in Canada or very least Ontario (due to a lot of fraud), its ugly, nothing to do, it neighbors with Mississauga which is only a tad less shit than Brampton, transit is a joke and service blows so much ass and almost $4 cash fare. If TTC is a Ferrari then Brampton Transit is a Ford Pinto. What else can I say - Brampton population is booming and most of them seem to be crackheads.

Sorry I missed it - $500 a month in Brampton where? For a bedroom? Even with a roommate $1000 a month - not sure what that house looks like in Brampton, I don't think very good. But I'm intrigued to know where.

Quadratic

I always thought it was crazy that Liberty Village and Spadina (CityPlace?) residents had no mass transit option. I guess Liberty Village has the Go Train but it'd be a waste of money to take it to Union.

It's a huge reason why I didn't buy in Liberty Village. Unless you can bike or walk to work I wouldn't even think of driving or taking TTC around there. It's nuts during rush hour.

It's a huge reason why I didn't buy in Liberty Village. Unless you can bike or walk to work I wouldn't even think of driving or taking TTC around there. It's nuts during rush hour.

Yeah my coworker lives there and he tells me it's a pain in the ass to even get to work in the financial district from there. You still have to walk in the snow to the King street car which is insanely packed. It's close to the core but still too far to walk (30 mins). Would just live along the subway line instead.

zroid

Banned
I wonder if there's any bars/pubs here that are going to have 4K NHL and Jays games this year. I prefer to just watch games at home but it'd be fun to go out to watch some 4K sports once in a while.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I wonder if there's any bars/pubs here that are going to have 4K NHL and Jays games this year. I prefer to just watch games at home but it'd be fun to go out to watch some 4K sports once in a while.

Agreed, when I saw the announcement made me really think hard about wanting a 4K TV but alas.

I was at a point when I had to replace my TV just before 4k became affordable. It's frustrating and I am not at a point to replace my TV for a while now.

My friend has a 4k TV though as I forced him to buy one. I can just go over to his place. He says the price for the 4k box is the same.

Mupod

I lived in Brampton half my life. It is very bad and only getting worse. Where you at more specifically in Etobicoke? My other half of life has been spent in Etobicoke and most of it is heaven compared to Brampton.

Brampton is funny because the population must be over 600,000 and I swear the infrastructure is that of a town of 30,000 people. Worst drivers in the world, roads are a piece of shit, shady ass people everywhere trying to rob you, housing is expensive, car and house insurance are expensive and possibly the most expensive in Canada or very least Ontario (due to a lot of fraud), its ugly, nothing to do, it neighbors with Mississauga which is only a tad less shit than Brampton, transit is a joke and service blows so much ass and almost $4 cash fare. If TTC is a Ferrari then Brampton Transit is a Ford Pinto. What else can I say - Brampton population is booming and most of them seem to be crackheads.

Sorry I missed it - $500 a month in Brampton where? For a bedroom? Even with a roommate $1000 a month - not sure what that house looks like in Brampton, I don't think very good. But I'm intrigued to know where.

I'm at kipling/eglinton and work very close to the airport - I love the geographical location but our actual living situation kind of sucks. We're also being pressured by the landlord for having too many vehicles and they refuse to give us another parking spot. 2 roommates, friend of the family I've known for a long time and his son (about 21). Right now the latter doesn't even have a real bedroom and is just perched up in a bunk bed in a corner of the apartment sectioned off with curtains and shelves. Obviously there's more to take into account like utilities but due to rent increases, parking, laundry etc we'd barely be paying more for a 4 bedroom house than this 2 bedroom apartment. The house he's looking at is very close to this mall kind of thing. Based on our current location I'm certain that he chooses places to live based on their proximity to beer stores (he's actually far better at this than I am so I trust it's not a total dump).

Anyways - 'bad drivers, bad roads, nothing to do' ...I'm from Sudbury. I do miss that northern ontario car insurance though.

It's all still hypothetical of course. But I guess if this falls through I can try and steer him elsewhere. I work at the airport, he works at the big Loblaw office in brampton, and his son works up in woodbridge somewhere. So we'll end up in this general area one way or the other.

Azih

Well you live where you need to live. If you're being forced out of your current place then that's... pretty much that and Brampton is doable. I mean what do you like to do in your free time?

Anth0ny

apparently all 5 nights of chappelle sold out in less than 5 minutes

fuck ticketmaster and fuck being in a meeting when they went on sale

LevelNth

Banned
I live in Liberty, and the transit issue is no joke. Not just TTC either, anything. This is what happens when there are only three routes into Liberty at all. The additional King buses have alleviated most of the TTC issues though, but it's so much different from when I moved here years ago.

Can't say I regret it though. Liberty has seen some of the highest condo appreciation levels in the entire city.

Kraftwerk

So,

I found out through the Lawyer at our embassy, that I was somehow flagged. I sent some clothes to a gaffer in the states, and it came back. The issue was that I am from Afghanistan, and some of my uncles are known warlords who fought against the Russians.

I am SO GLAD I dont live in the states. Jesus Christ.

Kraftwerk

can someone break down how drivers licensed works in Ontario?

So I take the written test, and I can drive right away as long as a licensed driver sits in the car with me. This goes on for 8 months. And then I am on my own, correct?

Azih

can someone break down how drivers licensed works in Ontario?

So I take the written test, and I can drive right away as long as a licensed driver sits in the car with me. This goes on for 8 months. And then I am on my own, correct?

You take the written test, you pass and get the G1. Then you can drive with a licensed driver for 8 months - 12 months (don't remember exactly), then you take the first practical test and then you get the G2. With the G2 you can drive on your own but with odd restrictions on how many passengers you can drive around. Then you take a second test (after a similar waiting period as before) and if you pass that you get your G license and can do whateva you want.

Ryde3

apparently all 5 nights of chappelle sold out in less than 5 minutes

fuck ticketmaster and fuck being in a meeting when they went on sale

They did! I had a few tabs open, and my phone, was there right at 12, and no dice.

Super upset about it, it honestly felt like a glitch - I got screwed on Bryson Tiller tickets aswell. I really wanted to see Dave, I mean, 5 fxcking dates and I could get ONE pair!

Edit: They even said no physical tickets, and you have to be with the credit card holder, to eliminate scalpers. STILL couldn't get any tickets.

Mupod

You take the written test, you pass and get the G1. Then you can drive with a licensed driver for 8 months - 12 months (don't remember exactly), then you take the first practical test and then you get the G2. With the G2 you can drive on your own but with odd restrictions on how many passengers you can drive around. Then you take a second test (after a similar waiting period as before) and if you pass that you get your G license and can do whateva you want.

I believe it's 12 unless you take a driving course which knocks it down to 8.

How to cheat the system: take your G road test somewhere with no highways. It's why nobody in Sudbury knows how to drive!

Quick

Banned

I believe it's 12 unless you take a driving course which knocks it down to 8.

How to cheat the system: take your G road test somewhere with no highways. It's why nobody in Sudbury knows how to drive!

Just to add more specific details to these:

http://www.thinkinsure.ca/car-auto-...o-graduated-g-g1-g2-licence-system-guide.html

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I remember my G test.

So freaked out since VP can be notoriously hard. But I had a good instructor and a fair tester. I got dinged for not checking my blind spot when I passed a parked car -_-

Thought I'd failed though because I sped up to get to speed coming back from the highway. I'm just glad that's over with even though I almost never drive now.

yyzjohn

Banned
You suckers with the graduated licensing, I remember the good old days when you could get your 365 one day and your license the next day.

krae_man

Do do do, just out for a morning drive
FzMPQK0.jpg

Kraftwerk

Nervous about the job.

I aced the interview, I know that much. They showed me around and talked to me about plans if I get hired.

That's why I asked about the drivers license. They would require me to drive once every few months to go and make presentations and events.

Would be sick if I get the job. I find out next week.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Nervous about the job.

I aced the interview, I know that much. They showed me around and talked to me about plans if I get hired.

That's why I asked about the drivers license. They would require me to drive once every few months to go and make presentations and events.

Hire an uber...?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Nervous about the job.

Good luck!

wbsmcs

Do you guys know any good places that sell refurrbed laptops around the city/York Region?

I have a guy offering a 2011 15 inch MBP for $800 but I'm not sure if that's a good deal or not.

Zips

Nervous about the job.

A friend of mine has to go out to different sites to give presentations and attend events sometimes multiple times a day. She is able to do it with a taxi.

If this position only requires going to something like that once in a while then you could just (pre-)arrange for a taxi or uber. If the company covers the transit costs regardless they may just prefer whatever works out to be cheaper - day rental or taxi.

Top Bottom