• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

ahdurian

WHO UNCHAINED YOU?! GET BACK TO WORK ON BG&E2! >=[

Well, it's been an incredibly stressful long weekend. Tons of people got let go and it definitely didn't help with workload or sleep. All I pretty much did today and last night was binge watch Narcos. Fantastic show. Goddamn Colombian woman...! HNNGGHHGG!

That's been me the pat 2-3 months. This weekend is the first in ages I was able to leave work for the weekend with a clear mind and so I binges Stranger Things. Now my mind is fucked up because of that show

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
You guys would have loved Seattle then, it never went above 20.

The problem the city shuts down if it ever gets 5cm of snow because of how infrequent anymore than a dusting is.

Source: I lived in Edmonds for a while and we had 'one of the largest snow storms' in the region while I was there.

soultron

Banned
Going to Seattle in October. For those who have been, what was your favourite restaurant and coffee?

Staying with my buddy and he's already got us a reservation at a sushi spot that's run by one of Jiro's apprentices, said to be amazing.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Going to Seattle in October. For those who have been, what was your favourite restaurant and coffee?

Staying with my buddy and he's already got us a reservation at a sushi spot that's run by one of Jiro's apprentices, said to be amazing.
I DEMAND pictures, soultron! Never knew an apprentice of his was in Seattle.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
M7MCzbC.jpg

IISANDERII

Went to Airshow today and the F-18 was so FUCKING LOUD. My apartment has been shaking whenever it flies by and wasn't sure what it was. There were other planes, Snowbirds, biplanes and then ANOTHER F-18 WTF. My arms were exhausted from having to plug me ears.

Anyway, watched it from Marilyn Bell Park so didn't have to pay stupid CNE or Ontario Place tickets and the best part was that the pilots were doing their stunts right in front of us. I guess they see the largest crowds perform there.

Also, saw this article: Is it time to rethink Toronto's air show? http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/toronto/programs/metromorning/air-show-trauma-1.3747293

I think it's stupid. Canada is a massive country, if you got trigger issues, coming to the big city where the Airshow has been happening for 6 decades isn't a clever choice.

F-18's are fun to watch but the Air Show used to get F-15, F-16, F-22, F-117, A-10 Warthogs all in the same show........now that was LOUD and epic :)

krae_man

If you like German grub, Rhein Haus is good.

If you come to a meetup before you go, I might have an Orca card with some money left on it for you. Forgot to bring it with me this year. Not sure how much money is on it however.

jokkir

These TIFF ticket prices are too much. 25$ for a movie? I just want to see Sadako vs Kayako (and maybe some Korean movies)

"Of course, the real fun begins when the girls figure out that the only way to save themselves is to pit the vengeful spirits against each other."

This description is too good.

soultron

Banned
If you like German grub, Rhein Haus is good.

If you come to a meetup before you go, I might have an Orca card with some money left on it for you. Forgot to bring it with me this year. Not sure how much money is on it however.

Nice! I will recommend Rhein Haus. Thanks for the offer for Orca. I'm guessing that's the local transit? If I make it to a meetup, I'd definitely buy you a beer for the card.

Also, Kuro, I will definitely post pics if we go to that sushi joint. Maybe even pictures of the bill.
Tip included.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Just got a call for an interview for Thursday for that full time position that I was talking about. FINGERS CROSSED.

Already have a good endorsement from my bosses so I think I just need to do well on the interview.

krae_man

Nice! I will recommend Rhein Haus. Thanks for the offer for Orca. I'm guessing that's the local transit? If I make it to a meetup, I'd definitely buy you a beer for the card.

Also, Kuro, I will definitely post pics if we go to that sushi joint. Maybe even pictures of the bill.
Tip included.

It's their version of Presto.

I'll see if I can find out how much money is on it when I get home.

Went to Airshow today and the F-18 was so FUCKING LOUD. My apartment has been shaking whenever it flies by and wasn't sure what it was. There were other planes, Snowbirds, biplanes and then ANOTHER F-18 WTF. My arms were exhausted from having to plug me ears.

Anyway, watched it from Marilyn Bell Park so didn't have to pay stupid CNE or Ontario Place tickets and the best part was that the pilots were doing their stunts right in front of us. I guess they see the largest crowds perform there.

Also, saw this article: Is it time to rethink Toronto's air show? http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/toronto/programs/metromorning/air-show-trauma-1.3747293

I think it's stupid. Canada is a massive country, if you got trigger issues, coming to the big city where the Airshow has been happening for 6 decades isn't a clever choice.

Bunch of sissies. Yeah, it's loud. It's loud as hell. And it's fucking awesome. It's the one thing I like about Toronto.

My dream is that one of the planes will fire a missile at that stupid multicoloured TORONTO sign and end the municipal nightmare.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks! I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much but I really think if I nail this interview I'll get it. And I can totally do this job.

And yes, if I get it I will buy a pitcher for the meetup. Can be actual beer.
Awwww yiss!
A pitcher of rum!
...a pitcher of Victory Cafe draught cider to murder us all...!

Not surprised they didn't have it there anymore.

Good friend of mine got let go today...but at least he'll get paid til Feb and it's nice and warm out today.

Quadratic

You must post pictures from that sushi restaurant. I'll probably make a point of visiting next PAX I go to.

I like Pike Place brewery. Great local beers and fantastic food. If you're up for waiting in a line I would 100% recommend either Salumi (Mario Batali's dad runs it) or Paseo Caribbean for sandwiches. I had Paseo's recommended to me by a local it's kinda out of the way in Fremont. There's a Japadog knock off near Pike Place market at 2nd Ave/Pike St. And lastly, visit Dicks Drive-in. Can't be a Seattle trip without somehow ending up there at 1am.

Coffee. It's Starbucks land. I think any mom and pop coffee establishment would probably be great I would admit while being in Seattle Starbucks is very hard to avoid. I had the coffee at Top Pot doughnuts and it was surprisingly good.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Thankfully, this should be the last hot hot day of the year!!

Also, no one mentioned Swiss Chalet Sauce flavored Lays??

http://www.newswire.ca/news-release...ate-the-ultimate-canadian-chip-592410201.html

Canadian Chalet sauce lovers need to mark their calendars. Beginning September 2016, Lay's Chalet Sauce potato chips are only available in-restaurant at participating Swiss Chalet restaurants while quantities last. The potato chips will be available in 255g bags and 40g bags.

soultron

Banned
You must post pictures from that sushi restaurant. I'll probably make a point of visiting next PAX I go to.

I like Pike Place brewery. Great local beers and fantastic food. If you're up for waiting in a line I would 100% recommend either Salumi (Mario Batali's dad runs it) or Paseo Caribbean for sandwiches. I had Paseo's recommended to me by a local it's kinda out of the way in Fremont. There's a Japadog knock off near Pike Place market at 2nd Ave/Pike St. And lastly, visit Dicks Drive-in. Can't be a Seattle trip without somehow ending up there at 1am.

Coffee. It's Starbucks land. I think any mom and pop coffee establishment would probably be great I would admit while being in Seattle Starbucks is very hard to avoid. I had the coffee at Top Pot doughnuts and it was surprisingly good.

Amazing! Thanks for the recommendations! I am definitely interested in checking out Salumi!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus how many emergency alarms were pulled this morning?!

Edit: Also school girl and older woman bumped into each other on the stairs. Older woman screams at the girl why she didn't move to the other side. I just told the older woman to fuck off. Not sure if there was a bit of racism involved but I was pretty pissed. Terrible morning overall so far.

soultron

Banned
TTC is a shitshow today. Tried to leave early so I don't melt in a packed subway car. Wait 30 minutes or more for a non-rammed subway car. #WorldClassCity

Glad I worked from home today. Fucking subway platforms man, could they be any hotter? As if this god damn heat wasn't enough already.

As for Seattle, Capitol Hill area is pretty cool. Went to a place called Quinn's a few years ago and remember it being pretty good. They made a mean old fashioned. Hipster as fuck though.

dluu13

Glad I worked from home today. Fucking subway platforms man, could they be any hotter? As if this god damn heat wasn't enough already.

As for Seattle, Capitol Hill area is pretty cool. Went to a place called Quinn's a few years ago and remember it being pretty good. They made a mean old fashioned. Hipster as fuck though.

It's the pacific northwest though so I wouldn't expect any less.

TTC should realize that buying 10 MODERN machines at each station is more effective than paying useless fare collectors that create 20 person lineups at Dundas or are paid to literally sit on an office chair and watch an opened gate.

I got a phone survey from TTC a few weeks ago and I gave them a 0 for ease of purchasing fares, lol.

zroid

Banned
TTC should realize that buying 10 MODERN machines at each station is more effective than paying useless fare collectors that create 20 person lineups at Dundas or are paid to literally sit on an office chair and watch an opened gate.

I got a phone survey from TTC a few weeks ago and I gave them a 0 for ease of purchasing fares, lol.

They probably do realize it. But then there's the union.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Ehhhh...first of all
They probably do realize it. But then there's the union.
This.

Second of all. Even if they had machines to sell fares, there isn't any way in hell they'd just have NOBODY there looking after things. There'd still be a person there to deal with machine malfunctions, questions, people sneaking through, people getting hurt at the stations, reporting various problems, etc etc etc.

Even the praise worthy Tokyo, HK, and Seoul set ups have someone there but their situations are a bit more unique. HK owns the land the stations are on I believe and make dough renting it out. Seoul gets a lot of subsidies AND don't deal with unions. Tokyo is the same as Seoul and it also doesn't have to deal with the big car culture that we do here (car equals independence, you HAVE to own a car to get anywhere, etc etc). We'll never get the funding to make more people rely on the TTC so long as the service is poor, car culture is around, and the union is there.

Yea, London doesn't have fare collectors but they still have at least one person watching things, and they have people on the platforms too (maybe this is just to help tourists know which train is coming into the station?)

krae_man

I've only encountered fare enforcement once in Seattle during PAX.

When I was in LA for E3, I got stopped by fare enforcement all the time, multiple times per day. I guess E3 people don't pay?

Top Bottom