• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TRAVOLTA IS ON 3 CHANNELS AT ONCE! ESPN NFL IS IN! (aka the ESPN love thread)

here is what that dude on OS said concerning "cannot validate rosters" problem:

Well, turning off the X and turning it back on did the trick....of course I wasted an hour of my life on this but....oh well I will be good to go now.

not sure what that means but maybe you guys with the game understand it.

Fifty

Turning on the X? Must mean the system, that's the only thing that makes some sense. But even when that was working I couldn't connect... Tomorrow is a new day, and all of you will share in my joy, or pain ;p

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Fifty said:
DM, you won't like this. The "Celebrities" phone your crib even if you're online! I've got Steve-O stalking me, and lucky Mr. Bob has Carmen Electra on him like a dog in heat.

WTF WTF WTF

Fifty

Well, it's not that bad. An icon pops up, but that's only when you're outside of a game. It didn't bother me.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Is it random who phones you? or you just get the same person till you play them and beat them :\

DJ_Tet

Banned
Can I get some Panther ratings?

Specifically, I'd like to know what their offense, defense, and special teams are ranked.

As far as individual players, I'd love to know what Jake Delhomme and Chris Gamble (rook) are rated. Thanks for your time.

Fifty

Matrix said:
Is it random who phones you? or you just get the same person till you play them and beat them :\

I think it's the latter. But it's not like a Steve-O's voice comes through your speakers yelling at you to play with him. You can just ignore the text message, and proceed on with your game.

Panthers:

O: 87
D: 93
Overall: 92

(there is no overall special teams rating)

Delhomme: 83
(His name is funny so I'll post his rating) Kris MANGUM - 76
Gamble - 73 (third Cornerback, you're lucky you can bring in the third CB in one press of a button on D)

hey fifty wanna play me? Ima newb so you can pad your stats.

No one accepts my challenges. I got into one game perfect all green ping yet suddenly there was a network problem :(

Fifty

Not tonight. It didn't work at all, and I'm just chilling now. I'm going to go off soon. Send me a friend invite.

whats your gamertag?

and just so i know having all green ping to someone is a good thing right? I get red ping to myself tho?

i really dont know sega games always screw up for me online.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Fifty said:
I think it's the latter. But it's not like a Steve-O's voice comes through your speakers yelling at you to play with him. You can just ignore the text message, and proceed on with your game.

Panthers:

O: 87
D: 93
Overall: 92

(there is no overall special teams rating)

Delhomme: 83
(His name is funny so I'll post his rating) Kris MANGUM - 76
Gamble - 73 (third Cornerback, you're lucky you can bring in the third CB in one press of a button on D)

Thanks man(gum).

I take it this is like every other recent football game in that the "default" game when you choose "quickplay" is the matchup of the previous Super Bowl *i.e. Pats Vs Panthers*.

Mangum is rated too high, he can't catch worth shit, although he is a good blocker.

Mrbob

jedimike said:
so which is it?

The game is Live! aware. I was logged into my Xbox Live! account ingame while playing some practice games. I like it because I could send and receiver messages from the pause menu while I was playing my practice games.

Glad to see some people getting some online games up and running! Considering you have to have broadband to play on Live! there shouldn't be too much of a problem with lag.

Mrbob

Sal Paradise Jr said:
HOLY SHIT THE GRAHPIX ROX!!!

I completed more passes in a quarter of NFL2k5 than in a week of NCAA play. HAR HAR

Sad but true.

I did have my TE drop an open pass earlier. However the big difference was that he ran a 5 yard post across the middle and I gunned the ball to him with Grossman. I threw it way too hard and it bounced off his chest. But that was a realistic drop.

I've noticed in 2k5, morse than 2k4 or any football game I've played, plays a huge importance on the step drop count of a QB. If your play calls for a 5 step drop by the QB get read your coverages quickly and make that throw at the end of the drop. It makes for a very efficient passing game.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Getting it at lunch. A few stores here in NYC broke the street date yesterday but I didn't have a chance to go hunting. When my Xbox died last Friday I figured I could hold out on buying a new one while I caught up on my GC/PS2 library but that plan got shot to hell once I remembered the number $19.99.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
timing was everything in the passing game last year as well... people who had alot of trouble with it werent throwing the ball.. right after the drop back, your QB plants his backfoot and steps forward, that is when you want to throw it.. the timing of the route will be perfect as will the pass. You wont get a 100 completion rate by any means, but you will be up around 60-70% on those passes.. scrambles, shotgun, and thrown away balls not included.

If they made timing the drop back even more important, good for them... I think it ads alot of realism to the game.

Got it. Its good. I'm pissed you can only edit two historic teams when they have dozens of them. I chose the 89 Niners and the 85 Bears. You can edit basically everything, but I would have liked to see more face choices. I thought it was cool that Payton was rated 100, but dissapointed Montana was rated 99 (no matter how much I edit him he doesn't go 100, heh).

Game seems to play better. Running seems allot better from last year. I still have to play more games, but I don't think we'll see super-backs this year.

I did notice one guy kinda flew on a tackle to hit me. It wasn't the super dive, more like he got close and then was sucked into the animation. Only noticed that once.

Passing is nice. Much better then NCAA from what little I played. However, I don't like the lack of momentum. I think it makes scrambling to easy. Last year it was a pain to play scarmbling QB's who threw the deep bomb because they could cut on a dime at any time. I don't know if this is back, because pocket play seems better this year. But, I don't like the lack of momentum.

Presentation is the best I've seen in a game. Easily.

Graphics seem pretty much the same, except the lighting is heavily used. It looks really good.

Game looks damn real, and plays pretty real to. Hard to say, because teh flaws come out over time. But, despite the lack of momentum and quick speed, I like the way the game flows. Passes are set up well, running seems realistic, tackling is great...

$20 for this is a steal.

Ok, the Weekly Prep feature is by no means a gimmick feature. I was doing the schedule (only had scheduled a meeting and a few workouts) when i accidentally advanced time. When i checked the results for the week, ALL my players had dropped about 5 pts in their overall rating. My secondary took the biggest hit.

Lighting is hardly the only thing that's changed. Are you playing the PS2 version? It's a tremendous graphical leap from last years game.

No, I'm playing the X-Box version like last year. I don't see a tremendous graphical leap. They use lighting allot more, and I see more details in the player models. Cheerleaders look a little better. But, I'm not awed by any huge leap.

Its certainly a bigger leap then NCAA 2004 was to 2005 though, graphicall speaking.

Those 2 slots for historic rosters aren't for how many you can have, but how many you load! You can load up and save as many historic teams as you want!

Go into historic teams and pick a team. Edit them however you like. Then save. Whenever you want to use that team, load them from the Options menu. So far I've edited the Giants 86, Niners 89, Bears 85, and Steelers 75. This game just went up a billion times in fun factor for me. Oh yeah, it also said "audio match found" when I edited Lawrence Taylor. Cool.

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/rosters.nsf

Matrix

Holy crap this game is a huge improvement over last years..Ive only played 2 games so far,but the overall package has been tweaked to perfection imo.The graphics and presentation first of all are a ton better imo.I'm no graphic whore,but the player animations are better *except for the running with a stick up their butt animation* the faces on the players have improved bigtime,the stadiums feel bigger,the lighting is a lottttttt better,the presentation is all around better,with cooler crowd cut scenes,better looking cheerleaders :p and just a ton of little things that put a smile on your face.Replays,halftime show,endzone td dances that rock,and the post game show are just icing on the cake.

Sound flat out kills past Maddens *I have no idea how it sounds this year*,but the espn surround sound is hottt.You can here linemen trashtalking specific players,fans screaming shit,coachs yelling and the PA system with your own music amazing.

Gameplay *drools* MY GOD they fixed the running game :D Tackling is much improved,maxi tackle is hot.Nothing like wrapping a hb up around his ankle and then sending another guy crashing into him for the huge hit.My largest run in two games was 12 yards,and it was twelve yards earned the hard way,no bouncing off people and breaking 20 tackles.The passing game feels the same as last year to me which is a plus in my book,cause I really had no problems with it.I do like the QB evade and I dont think QBs will be running as much cause of the way the line plays in this years game.

You know whats really cool ...you can catch the ball in this game..most amazing feature ever!

Damn I got to go back and practice some more...

PS - Carmen keeps phoning me...sooo hotttt :p

Ok, i will seriously be impressed if Madden tops ESPN this year. Jesus, you'd think at $20 there would be modest improvements at best. Nopers, ESPN is going for Madden's jugular this year.

Drey1082

Malleymal said:
<-------- sitting at work Pissed...

anyone able to get online yet????

I played a game with cmdr solak yesterday, no problems, albeit it's the only game i played, or even tried to play

mj1108

Gamestop better have it today. :( They told me Monday that they'd have it Tuesday night. Last night I went there and was told today.

Bastards.

Matrix

DMczaf said:
Damn it Fed Ex! I gotta go somewhere, hurry up and give me my game!

BWHAHAAHA I got mine at 11:30 am :p Man I cant wait for you to play this,its kills last years version.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
<------------ Still at work Pissed...

Got a call from my EB....

EB GUY: Hey whats up man , you espn is in, come pick it up

Malleymal: **Teardrop**...thanks, I will be in shortly

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
I thought mine would come today, but fedex thought it would be better if my game went on a round trip to Tennesee after coming to Columbus earlier today.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Just a heads up, didn't see this in the manual, but from the Operations Sports review:

There is one other little feature that I’d like to talk about. By clicking your right thumbstick at the play select menu screen, you can see how many times you’ve run that specific play, how many yards you made off that play and if you scored with it. On defense it shows how many times it was used, if it was a pass or run and if you got a sack or an interception using that play. It’s a very cool little feature that I’m sure everyone will enjoy.

I can't connect to Xbox Live... It keeps saying "Xbox Live is not responding. Please Try Again Later." :( I have dmz open for the Xbox, and it is showing up on the DHCP table... Eh.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I got it today for X-Box. I have played a handful of games and it is a fun game. Presentation is top-notch. The halftime and post game highlights are incredible. The gametrack deal after the game is incredible as well as you can look at any play of the game you just played. Commentary is awesome as well. Andre Johnson had dropped 4 passes in the game, and after he dropped his 5th, the commentator pointed that out. I like this game. But the one thing early that I don't like is the fact there are so many BIG PLAYS. Long runs, bombs, etc. Looks like we have to great NFL games coming out this year. EA now has a big competitor quality-wise.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
FUCKING FUCK HELL.

EB only has two copies left, and I have to wait to take the fricking bus. DAMMIT.

If I get there and they have none left, I'm going to...I'm going to cry! And become a CFL fan! Let's go Argos, whoever the hell they are!

Matrix

dskillzhtown said:
I got it today for X-Box. I have played a handful of games and it is a fun game. Presentation is top-notch. The halftime and post game highlights are incredible. The gametrack deal after the game is incredible as well as you can look at any play of the game you just played. Commentary is awesome as well. Andre Johnson had dropped 4 passes in the game, and after he dropped his 5th, the commentator pointed that out. I like this game. But the one thing early that I don't like is the fact there are so many BIG PLAYS. Long runs, bombs, etc. Looks like we have to great NFL games coming out this year. EA now has a big competitor quality-wise.

What are you playing on? Pro?All-pro? I have seen a couple of long passes,but havent seen a huge run yet...I'm playing on All-pro.

Fifty

Played two games with Biff. Great stuff. (I agree with Dskillz, there are a lot of big plays)

One thing you might want to know.......

If you create a game, and send an invite to a friend, they will not automatically join your game. You will need to get out of the friend list, and go back to the screen that showed the various games you can join.....At the bottom of the screen there will be a small box, with "challenges" listed in it. Even if he accepts your invite, you will most likely have to press X to accept his challenge. If I'm wrong, then good, but it's the only way I've been able to play with someone.

Oh, and it defaulted my voice settings to "Off" so you will have to go into the online options (not sure if you can do it outside of a game, I know you can during one) and turn the settings on.

Hopefully these tips can help you!

Played two games with fifty online. This game kills NCAA in my not so humble opinion.

I was glad to see that you can't cut on a dime exactly, there will be animations for changing in the heat of a run. Its not perfect, but its there.

I agree, theres allot of big plays. The emphasis seems to be on offense this year. Still, nothing seems broken or unfun from the two games I played.

I think QB scrambling will be abused, but it can be shut down if your willing to assign some guys on the blitz. I have to check the spy plays.

I wish there was a 46 defense.

Great football game.

Matrix

DMczaf said:
Its go time, Matrix!

Im still not ready to play online...I'm practicing to lose :p

DMczaf

Matrix said:
Im still not ready to play online...I'm practicing to lose :p

WTF? Whats with you guys and "practicing" for online play? I just hop online with every sports game and play.

All of you are wimps!

Matrix

Wimp is my middle name.

Matrix

"Ok you bitches!!! I'm going to go log online,who ever challenges me first gets to play me... GOD" ! "
starsky_andy_dick.jpg

Mrbob

Woo can't wait to get home in a bit and play this game online! Looks like games are working fine now! :D

One note about the QB scrambling issue. If you are worried about the QB players take one of your linebackers and have him spy the QB. IN ESPN2K5 you can audiable for individual players on defense. Just highlight that player with the dpad and hit the corresponding button on your controller for the individual audiable. For example, you can double team a certain receiver, spy the qb, blitz the qb, delay blitz the qb, etc.

Top Bottom