• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Plays Pokemon Community Thread: We're Here Forever

Takashi

Lol rip groudon

Eh, it's not that big a deal anyway. Emerald and Platinum had pretty shitty teams most of the game. Possible Flygon, Tyranitar, Poliwrath still sounds good, and this is a randomizer so who knows what could still appear. There's still over half the game to go.

Temathael

Eh, it's not that big a deal anyway.
That's the spirit.

chansub-global-emoticon-577ade91d46d7edc-24x18.png
Stay positive
chansub-global-emoticon-577ade91d46d7edc-24x18.png

Lol rip groudon

Eh, it's not that big a deal anyway. Emerald and Platinum had pretty shitty teams most of the game. Possible Flygon, Tyranitar, Poliwrath still sounds good, and this is a randomizer so who knows what could still appear. There's still over half the game to go.

What are you saying, Platinum had a clearly defined team the earliest to anything but FireRed, when you compare times as to when we had our full team all leveled up across runs, Platinum is in 2nd

Takashi

What are you saying, Platinum had a clearly defined team the earliest to anything but FireRed, when you compare times as to when we had our full team all leveled up across runs, Platinum is in 2nd

Sorry should've clarified. I wasn't referring to when the team was assembled; I meant most were shit potential wise- i.e. most people thought these weren't going to be of any use later in the game.

Shinx- never evolved, was pretty shit late game
Golbat- wasn't that great really
Flareon- already had a huge stigma attached to it, no one expected the worst eeveelution to be useful
Roserade- people were counting it out since the beginning since most didn't expect it to evolve
Bibarel- lol the prime example. no one would've EVER predicted the shit HM slave to be a powerhouse at the end

Bronzong was the only one that was useful on paper

Point being that you never know what's going to happen with TPP. That's part of the whole thing. It's a bit futile to plan meticulously so far ahead as to what will be viable or what will be a good counter since anything could happen.

I do agree that it sucks to lose a good Pokemon especially lore-wise, but I don't think the game is lost. I think it will get A LOT harder and some will definitely tune out, but with enough grinding anyone can be beat.

Crayolan

Okay so we finally got the Rising Badge from the Dragon's Den.....But, as we were leaving to get the TM from Clair, we digged out, cancelling the TM event altogether and forcing us to redo the gym puzzle if we want the TM which also activates the Dratini event. Sigh.

Also, here are sprites of all the randomized gym leaders:
Source

"Jet" Falkner (as both his pokemon had Aqua Jet and no type theme), Ground Bugsy, Steel Whitney, Rock Morty, Poison Pryce, Fighting Chuck, Dragon Jasmine, and most recently Dark Clair (once again, pretty fitting for her). Clair had a team of Honchcrow, Sneasel, Sableye, and another Honchcrow. Defeating her was Kenya's final gift to us. :(

And this is the last known image of Kenya with the team:
BCW1l2f.png

As well as the new version of ATV and (what's left of his) friends, now starring Trumpinch:
gaX3nZP.png

Hopefully we can move on from this loss, with our new savior Treesus:
Source

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Ah dammit.

And here I thought we were doing so well, getting 8 badges in such a short while.

Welp. Expect a lot of grinding now unless we luck out with another legendary or slaking.

edit: whatever happened to the smartness of the last run to equip everybody with mail.

Crayolan

edit: whatever happened to the smartness of the last run to equip everybody with mail.

You know how the touch screen is used for EVERYTHING in HGSS? That includes the trash button. It takes like 1 guy to trash everythign we own, only there isn't one guy attempting to trash our stuff, there's a group of like 5-10. And in HGSS it's harder to counter this because b+direction doesnt exit from touch screen menus, only b does. This also makes it easier to take off mail, which we've done plenty of times on accident.

Just today when trying to teach waterfall to something (which was all for naught anyway because we just deposited the mon we taught it to) we ended up trashing over half our items including the exp share. And then when we tried to mail our pokemon shortly before the release happened, we ended up trashing all that too.

This also makes releases ridiculously easy, so I'm surprised it took this long for one to happen.

Sorry should've clarified. I wasn't referring to when the team was assembled; I meant most were shit potential wise- i.e. most people thought these weren't going to be of any use later in the game.

Shinx- never evolved, was pretty shit late game
Golbat- wasn't that great really
Flareon- already had a huge stigma attached to it, no one expected the worst eeveelution to be useful
Roserade- people were counting it out since the beginning since most didn't expect it to evolve
Bibarel- lol the prime example. no one would've EVER predicted the shit HM slave to be a powerhouse at the end

Bronzong was the only one that was useful on paper

Point being that you never know what's going to happen with TPP. That's part of the whole thing. It's a bit futile to plan meticulously so far ahead as to what will be viable or what will be a good counter since anything could happen.

I do agree that it sucks to lose a good Pokemon especially lore-wise, but I don't think the game is lost. I think it will get A LOT harder and some will definitely tune out, but with enough grinding anyone can be beat.

This is how I see things too. There is no point to put any team expectations in TPP, there are too many variables to expect a "good" team. Just take it as it comes. If the whole team gets released right before the champion, well it just makes the run longer, more to the lore and people will get a new team. Planning goes out the window when there's this many variables too.

Dratini is... flameslash?!? So conflicted...

Hah, the dratini turned out to be Sandslash. Now lets see which ability it has.

Ability is drought.

Drought causes instant sunny day, right? That seems great for our ground team.
Edit: wait that's Groudon's normal ability... Kenya is that you?

The Dratini was a Sandslash. And it has drought. I'm dying here.

Drought is also Groudon's signature ability in the normal games, if you didn't know.

Holy shit, run might be redeemed extremely quickly
Invokes the spirit of both even more as it has Crabhammer

Honestly, the disaster and run already feel partially redeemed. Dratini was a Sandslash with Drought, Groudon's signature ability until Generation 5. Additionally it has the move Crabhammer. And is a ground type.
Somewhat reminds me of another Sandlash we once had, one with both fire and water attributes
WE HAVE THE KEEP THIS THING It would be soo fitting, if what killed Kenya brought him back in spirit, if Kenya, our water immunity, left and was brought back, by a Sandlash with Drought, which negates pur water weakness as well, for the whole team this time

So we have developed a bit of a situation in the TPP subreddit....

Arguably the main lore contributor these days, ZetsuTheFirst, has had a bunch of copy usernames made, such as Z3tsuTheFirst, ZetsuTheFist, etc.

I mean, a BUNCH
And then someone also did something similar to everyle
It's all incredibly humorous

A portion of shenanigans? Certainly. Would you like a side order of Brendan with that?- by Everyle (the original one)

Kenya Needs To His Job, Dammit- by DirtyTabs

Like this more than my theory

Sandlash and Shedinja (Brian or Shedinja story coming up, feel somewhat bad for what I said now) by Griever 13_37

Thse events have been kickstarting the community like crazy lately, one thing I like about this run is that there has been a ton of artwork to always post, more than at least the last 3-4

I don't think I've seen the community jump back so fast ever, especially after a top 5 setback right here

Crayolan

Wow I just convinced the chat to give the masterball to a pokemon, and we succeeded. Sandslash now holds the masterball. We can do this. We can catch that Ho-oh and stick it to the assholes who wanted to release our legendary by getting a new one--this time one that we will earn.

Wow I just convinced the chat to give the masterball to a pokemon, and we succeeded. Sandslash now holds the masterball. We can do this. We can catch that Ho-oh and stick it to the assholes who wanted to release our legendary by getting a new one--this time one that we will earn.

Good job man

Shenanigans of the Future Past- One by ZetsuTheFirst

All by Kelcyus
Had to make up for the lack of posting these comics, as along with the "Voices" series this is my favorite series

Crayolan

NO ONE WAS PAYING ATTENTION AND WE MANAGED TO GET TRAPINCH TO EVOLVE INTO VIBRAVA! YES!

Unfortunately, Vibrava actually has a lower attack stat than trapinch, and that caused us to lose to the final kimono girl by a 1 hp margin.

Edit: Ability is Arena Trap. Funny since that's usually Trapinch's ability.

Edit 2: Some art by Pokeapache in commemoration of our second evolution this run:
cG3cncw.jpg

Let's hope for 2 more, and that Ho-oh to fill our final slot.

Crayolan

Not sure if it's hilarious or sad, but we actually managed to get to Ho-oh with the masterball, only to go into the bag and touch the ball then immediately back out and run. I don't even know what to say about that.

It was a level 45 Phione, so not the greatest loss, but goddamnit we were one press away from fucking catching it. And now going back down bell tower with a master ball pretty much guarantees we catch some shit mon with it in here, and that shit gets stuck on our team.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Master Ball used on a level 13 Cranidos. Eh, at least it wasn't thrown at a trainer's poke.

Not sure if it's hilarious or sad, but we actually managed to get to Ho-oh with the masterball, only to go into the bag and touch the ball then immediately back out and run. I don't even know what to say about that.

It was a level 45 Phione, so not the greatest loss, but goddamnit we were one press away from fucking catching it. And now going back down bell tower with a master ball pretty much guarantees we catch some shit mon with it in here, and that shit gets stuck on our team.

Wow....a couple of hours after I asked about it, and I still missed it. Lol at Phione though.

Apparently we caught a cranidos which if evolved had higher base stats than phione anyway. Plus it fits the ground/rock theme.

Wow. I hardly recognize Trapinch anymore! They grow up so quick.

YES Vibrava hype
I agree. I don't understand why everything has to be beaten to death. It was good as a once-off but it's really lost its appeal, in my opinion.

If you followed the runs, you would see that even if a few elements are repeated, every single run is very VERY different. Red never had as crazy of an E4 challenge, never had Dance Riots, never had a flying Slaking rollover the E4, never had a lore like Crystal's etc.

In fact, the lore is the greatest part of this imo, funny or serious, and in that respect Red is actually outclassed by next to all the other runs

Temathael

Cranidos is pretty cool and knows Metronome, which is a stable TPP move. He just needs some leveling up and that seems to be kind of impossible right now.

Temathael

Noctowl is awesome. We need to teach him fly.
Some special moves would be better ofc, lets hope he learns one asap.

If he stays that long that is.

Temathael

I guess we went to deposit the snake or whatever (terrible idea) and now Sandslash as well as Ekans is lost into the depths of PC. The chat will never learn.

At least Cranidos is safe in the daycare and will gain some levels.

Temathael

So we are at the E4 now but there is no way to beat them with this team.

Goal is to buy some balls and catch something nice from the victory road.

Edit: Okay then, Will-time. Ground type.

Edit2: Caught Banette with a shitty move pool and Ariados with absolutely amazing moves.

Crayolan

So we finally got to the E4, and for the first time ever we can't even get past the first guy. We're so fucked for this E4, this is worse than Emerald. Will is ground type it seems, so far all we've seen is Steelix, Quagsire, and Hippowdon.

Also we caught a Banette(good pokemon, shitty moves) and Ariados(bad pokemon, good moveset) so now there's a lot of argument about what to keep and what to PC or if we should PC at all. Hopefully we can teach Banette some TMs, dump Ariados in the PC, and catch something else in VR like an Octillery.

kyo2004

At least, we'll know which type will be Koga...

BTW... Bill has repleted E4 with infinite Full Restores... FUUUUUU....

Edit: Will is done... next... Koga...

PBalfredo

Psychic type Koga.

A shame. Him leading with Medicham could of either meant he was fighting type, which would have been great for us with our flying and psychic moves.

Crayolan

Psychic type Koga huh. Nothing too crippling for our team yet, but I'll be surprised if there's no Ice/Grass/Water/Ghost member.

Top Bottom