• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Says That XDefiant Has Fallen Behind Expectations

havoc00

Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot has confirmed that XDefiant has fallen behind expectations amid company struggles.

This week, the news that XDefiant is struggling went somewhat under the radar following what is arguably one of Ubisoft’s most challenging periods in recent memory. First, it was announced that Assassin’s Creed Shadows is to be delayed until early 2025, followed by several announcements at the company as a whole, including Ubisoft’s board launching an investigation into the company’s struggles.

As part of these major announcements, Ubisoft held a Trading Call Update, during which Guillemot answered questions about why the company had reduced its second-quarter revenue expectations by 30%. Nicholas Langlet of BNP Paribas asked, “So the Q2 guidance, is it only Star Wars Outlaws, or is there something else underperforming in the portfolio?”

Guillemot replied, “It mostly reflects the softer-than-expected sales for Star Wars Outlaws. We also had behind expectations for XDefiant, which we will give you a bit more detail at the end of October.” He continued, “To a much lesser extent, with a limited impact was a lower expectation for XDefiant.”

Skifi28

LfAFYio.gif

Magister

Neo Member
This is what happens when you turn Rayman into a drug addict. This is from a terrible TV show oficially funded by Ubisoft themselves.

Where's a new Rayman game. That was my childhood platformer. Instead we get shit like this.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Seriously, get these morons booted from the company. They're trainwrecking it.

What the fuck did you think was going to happen with fucking XDefiant? The initial reveal was so bad the team had to do a complete 180 and reimagine the game's entire visual design.

You okayed a game that's called XDefiant with promotional material using the XD emote. What were you thinking?

Saber

You put other priorities over delivering what the players want, not to mention pushing aside the people who would make good games inside. Thats what happens.

YuLY

Is there anything for this company that hasnt fallen behind expectations?

Watch Dogs Legion (francize basically dead now)
Skull & Bones
PoP Lost Crown
XDefiant
SW Outlaws

If Shadows doesnt sell big they are done for. Hell, they might be done for even if it does.

Last edited:

yurinka

Never forget

If you go to mobygames.com to see the amount of people who worked in Skull & Bones and compare it to Elden Ring, you'll understand why this game is considered AAAA and not Elden Ring (or Star Wars Outlaws).

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Is there anything for this company that hasnt fallen behind expectations?

Watch Dogs Legion (francize basically dead now)
Skull & Bones
PoP Lost Crown
XDefiant
SW Outlaws

If Shadows doesnt sell big they are done for. Hell, they might be done for even if it does.

It is amazing how Ubi ruined Watchdogs.

- First one solid experience but heavily flawed and sold on false promises setting bad blood with many gamers
- Second a drastic departure from the first in vibe but overall a good game and improves on many of the mechanics
- Legion an absolute catastrophe and a complete regression in many ways that was so terrible it straight up poisoned the IP.

To this day I still believe Legion was supposed to be another game but they couldn't get it off the ground so they slapped the Watchdogs name on it. It's just such a bizarrely different game compared to the first two. Poorly thought out, cobbled together mechanics, sloppy, boring, tons of hacking mechanics missing, terrible writing, nonsensical story.

Maybe some day we will learn what happened.

The potential for this is absolutely insane and it blows my mind that they just shipped that trash game Legion and then shelved the entire IP.

Last edited:

simpatico

Is it so fucking hard to make an by-the-numbers, uninspired Rainbow 6, Ghost Recon or Splinter Cell? One that doesn't involve any butt sex. None. Just regular shooting dudes and sneaking around.

simpatico

This is what happens when you turn Rayman into a drug addict. This is from a terrible TV show oficially funded by Ubisoft themselves.

Where's a new Rayman game. That was my childhood platformer. Instead we get shit like this.

We've made a lot of mistakes in the 21st century, but I really think "adult" cartoons are among the biggest.

Zannegan

Misfiring on all cylenders. Is there a single project of theirs this year that ISN'T underperforming?

I guess it was only a matter of time before it all caught caught up with them, but everything all at once is brutal. I have no pity for XDefiant though, which may not have been made for the sole purpose of selling NFTs, but definitely coincided with that idiotic push.

wipeout364

Unfortunately Xdefiant is not going to turn around anytime soon with the imminent release of Black ops 6 which will be the biggest game in years.

They had a window and lost it. I do hope they give it time to develop, add SBMM and overtime it might become a stable game but I think it’s more likely they pull a hyperscape and shut it down.

Ozzie666

20,000 employees world wide and many more from outside contractors used by Ubisoft. Scary times for these people as the failures continue to mount, that's a lot of jobs.
Everyone seemed to know this would fail, execept them? Why is that? Heads need to role.
Upper management needs to go, they need to refocus their efforts and just make good games people want. Leave all the other non gaming shit out on the streets.

Top Bottom