• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Karst you have way too many stipulations on your team. Character has to support both dorm and brand (ok), has to fit in with your character appeal visually (eliminates a good portion of the cast especially trenchcoats), can't be a hero (60% of characters eliminated again), has to play anchor with a very specific assist (more characters eliminated).

You are left with Vergil who has a trenchcoat and no vertical lockdown assist, Dante a hero and trenchcoat, doom who you don't like to play with, akuma who has a ground based assist, ammy who you have difficulty with the weapon inputs and is a non villain, skrull who doesn't benefit dorm much, sentinel who just like doom you probably have an issue with playstyle, magneto who doesn't benefit brand much and Arthur who is a hero and probably compete meter wise with dorm.

Karst you have way too many stipulations on your team. Character has to support both dorm and brand (ok), has to fit in with your character appeal visually (eliminates a good portion of the cast especially trenchcoats), can't be a hero (60% of characters eliminated again), has to play anchor with a very specific assist (more characters eliminated).

You are left with Vergil who has a trenchcoat and no vertical lockdown assist, Dante a hero and trenchcoat, doom who you don't like to play with, akuma who has a ground based assist, ammy who you have difficulty with the weapon inputs and is a non villain, skrull who doesn't benefit dorm much, sentinel who just like doom you probably have an issue with playstyle, magneto who doesn't benefit brand much and Arthur who is a hero and probably compete meter wise with dorm.
I know, right? I'm ridiculous! I actually don't have an issue with Sentinel's playstyle, but it's really hard to call him safely with Dormammu. It took me forever to drop him, and it felt damn good when I did. I actually don't care if the third plays anchor - I'm fine with anchoring Dormammu if it gets the job done.

I tested Vergil, Trish, and Arthur, and they didn't work out as well as I thought they might. Goddamn though, Amaterasu...that wouldn't help my zoning problem though. -_- If only Dormammu had a meter assist. ;-D

Dahbomb

If I were you I would play skrull for the unlockables and standard combo extends with dorm. Save skrull anchor and just try to do max damage with dorm.

If you really want to play the vertical screen zoning control game you have to swallow the pill and play either doom or Dante.

kirblar

I know, right? I'm ridiculous! I actually don't have an issue with Sentinel's playstyle, but it's really hard to call him safely with Dormammu. It took me forever to drop him, and it felt damn good when I did. I actually don't care if the third plays anchor - I'm fine with anchoring Dormammu if it gets the job done.

I tested Vergil, Trish, and Arthur, and they didn't work out as well as I thought they might. Goddamn though, Amaterasu...that wouldn't help my zoning problem though. -_- If only Dormammu had a meter assist. ;-D
What do you want out of the assist? If you want a Meter assist, you could just go with Dark Morrigan on the end.

If I were you I would play skrull for the unlockables and standard combo extends with dorm. Save skrull anchor and just try to do max damage with dorm.

If you really want to play the vertical screen zoning control game you have to swallow the pill and play either doom or Dante.
Tenderizer can't combo extend for Dormammu, believe it or not. I'm less concerned about vertical screen control than I am about keepaway teams and making sure Firebrand gets in. If I touch someone with Firebrand, the rest of the game is usually pretty much over. It's just getting that first touch that's difficult sometimes...

Plus, I've learned that Skrull + my brain is automatic failure. I start to dp.L from full screen when facing left to OTG with Dormammu, etc.

If you play Vergil you will destroy my team.
No worries, the synergy just isn't there. Want to play a bit to let me test stuff?

What do you want out of the assist? If you want a Meter assist, you could just go with Dark Morrigan on the end.
The thing is that Morrigan has all the same bad matchups Dormammu does, so if I lose Firebrand it gets frustrating. I really do love Morrigan and Dark Harmonizer, but it leaves Firebrand without a good offensive assist. Stupid Capcom.

Ammy has a meter assist :p
Yeah, ridiculously unsafe though. Not even comparable to Morrigan.

Think I may have found a team, but it's hush-hush for now. :-X Don't want to jinx it.

Question about TACs: wasn't it true in Vanilla that if you used an assist mid-combo, you would skip that person in the TAC series? I just found a way to incorporate Dark Hole into my Firebrand bnb, but I still TAC to Dormammu (which is a good thing, but I'm confused).

Yeah, ridiculously unsafe though. Not even comparable to Morrigan.

Think I may have found a team, but it's hush-hush for now. :-X Don't want to jinx it.

Question about TACs: wasn't it true in Vanilla that if you used an assist mid-combo, you would skip that person in the TAC series? I just found a way to incorporate Dark Hole into my Firebrand bnb, but I still TAC to Dormammu (which is a good thing, but I'm confused).

If your 1st assist was used, the 2nd assist recovers first and is the only character available for TACs for about a second. This allows you to modify your combos to choose which character to bring in.

Still true, although if enough time has passed since calling the assist, they'll still be next in line.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
No worries, the synergy just isn't there. Want to play a bit to let me test stuff?

If you're on now I can play a bit.

Also, I adjusted the homescreen for Hawkguy.

P5ZtY.jpg

Still true, although if enough time has passed since calling the assist, they'll still be next in line.
This is like right after Dormammu leaves the screen.

If you're on now I can play a bit.

Also, I adjusted the homescreen for Hawkguy.

P5ZtY.jpg
Gah, it'll have to wait. Wife just made dinner.

Anyway, I went 8-5 with the team against a Vergil/Wesker/Doom player. So, not bad. New team is:
Firebrand
Dormammu
Dr. Strange (Bolts of Balthakk)

Surprise! It works really well, and somehow I was rocking people with the new character even though I don't know his inputs...

Secret Dr.Strange strategy: Use books as an opponent's projectiles are about to hit you, the projectile interrupts your recovery and you can combo into another books. Other than that, I got nothing.

Azure J

Man guys, can anyone explain to me how of all characters to do so, a basic mode Strange is the first thing in this game to make me have an official salty popoff? It's like the perfect storm of derp just hit me at full force the last I played and damn:

- Spell of Vishanti does THAT much damage on top of being a tracking 1 frame super? Holy shit.
- Crumple beams are wat
- Strange upbacking is just wrong. Even more so when the person is OSing Impact Palm or counter as grab. (THIS guy has a fucking bullshit ass grab range.)
- Eye of Agamotto assist is like "I shouldn't be getting hit by this" dumb, yet, I always eat the blockstring setup from it, leaving me as easy pickings.

The worst part is I remember my hype for the character being in Mahvel knowing how bullshit he could churn out from my only experience with his fiction -- that animated movie he got. :lol

Still needs an air dash and OTG properties on Daggers of Denak. :p

Something I've noticed about games with my bro, he completes his combos more often, derp mode or not. I think that's why I lose as much as I do. I'm still getting the grips of handling and moving but he's content where he is and profits from my frustration when I herp derp an input or two.

It was cool to see Bmeister play, too.

If you guys did some casuals I'd tune in. Enjoyable teams to watch.

Thanks, we're gonna start streaming more and make it more consistent. Level of play will rise, all of us except JKO played kinda assy IMO (and that's why he won -- solid fundamental skill, big punishes). Should be much cleaner in the future and more setups. Some of our more interesting setups didn't get too much stream time, and I'll, ya know, hit my combos :p

Once I lock down a FT job I'm going to put them and others in the time chamber too. Wanna get these Z fighters ready for Canada Cup this year (which a handful of our scene should be making the trek out to).

I really want to see that guy play. What were his best matches so I can go look for them in the archive later?

I'll go through the archives and see what I can find, I know the LF where he scraped me cause of my dumb mistakes was a pretty solid showcase of Rocky. Timestamps will come, but here's his YT for now, http://www.youtube.com/bmeister42. Good stuff in the 4 month or older vids.

Also, if you don't Romket skates yet, I'd definitely consider doing it. 25k chip on each one and if you don't have a helm breaker, shield skills, or good projectile to deal with it, have fun.

Arrrrrgh.

That guy is not better than you, Sasa.

Hahaha I'm just going to use the scumbag excuse of "I trained them well" to deal with my bullshit. That's the only way to get better, forces me to keep up with new setups and push myself so I can't rest on old shit ^_^ My core concept has been the same since Vanilla after all. Alertness is key against these guys -- I find them harder to play simply because they have a better idea of what I'm coming with. Should've ran my Avengers setup instead even.

More seriously, I was just mental-guardbroken. I have to get better at coming off a loss, I'm a little streaky in that way. I've won tourneys out of losers early before, so it's mostly a consistency issue. Will iron itself out as I work on kinks some more. I airdashed into preeeeeetty obvious log traps against BMeister, and let a Ryu (solid player and XF or not) kill 2.5 characters. Didn't deserve to win playing like that and definitely should've played stronger.

hey killa does that rocket raccoon guy play online? his name kinda sounds familiar.

He doesn't play Marvel online anymore and I can't really blame him, he's been grinding Skullgirls and his first love BBCSEX-whatever. Probably recognize him from SRKs front page, his combos have made it there a couple times.

Dahbomb

The Vergil army grows... If Justins new twitter post is any indication.

Azure: strange has a combo that builds 3 meter into lvl3 to kill even thor. He is now top 3 in damage out put.

FSLink

Banned
I think I'm like a 5th Scout on PSN and a 4th Lord or Scout on XBL.

I stopped playing a lot of online ranked once I started using Zero more though.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
did you know that smurfx used to be a cosmic lord?

a little-known fact
I'd expect no less from a former cosmic lord

little-known fact
"played maximillian" is the new "used to be a cosmic lord"?
whoa now, we can't all be smurfx

y'know, since he used to be a cosmic lord

little-known fact

you mean it isn't enough to be a former cosmic lord???

(little-known fact.)

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Fanatiq said:
Alioune loops came out and I saw right away that he did what we back in the mvc2 days called cheating. When you start a combo with something impractical but that maximizes damage it doesn't hold a lot of weight with me. Its not what I call, true damage.
This is good advice for a lot of people I've met.

Way too many "BnBs" I've seen use 2 assists strictly for combo extension. Every time I see it I immediately think "probably a training mode monster."

Maybe it's just me, but I can't stand condescending players, no matter how good they are.

Fanatiq comes off as a dick in that post.
I didn't see a single condescending thing in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom