• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

I don't remember it.
After the tech earlier I changed it a little to this so I wouldn't have to use a TAC:

Dormammu:
jS, 2LH + A2(EMD) xx flight, jMHS, H xx Dark Matter xx Sphere Flame DHC Bionic Lancer, Up Grapple, Bionic Bomber, Up Grapple, Up Grapple, raw tag to Magneto, Gravity Squeeze, raw tag to Dormammu, Flame Carpet + A1(EMD), Chaotic Flame

Solune

For that combo challenge video, I felt like it wouldn't be right to rehash my old Dorm/Spencer/Mags raw tag 6-bar combo.

So now I'm going the other way. Wesker/Magneto/X-23, 3 raw tags, no meter, dead character.
Sounds pretty sick. Make sure to post it when you record it.
Sollune, I need another long set of matches against you since you play a zoning team. :p

Missed this but yah, gotta play sometime. You actually distracted me from recording some video for that combo challenge video =p.

mr. puppy

Banned
if you want to learn strange you gotta put him on Point. If you survive the incoming mixups you're still at point blank range against whatever character you just defended against and strange is terrible when face to face, you almost never really get to use him unless you're winning. I actually used the ChrisG shell (missiles/tatsu) with Strange on point simply b/c tatsu really got people out of your face. For awhile when I was doing vergil/strange/ammy I would pray rapid slash would push people to the side of the screen but it was really not reliable.

Nemo has the best strange, and his strange only exists to make his Nova look pretty.

nemo has the best fundamentals of the people that use strange. he does not have the best strange, and the people he plays against are hilariously terrible at blocking so he doesn't really need to elarn the characters.

Dr. Strange is a lot like Dormammu in that you want to run him second and DHC him in. If you bring him in while giving him momentary screen control, with good play he tends to keep it. If he has to come in raw, it's often not pretty. If he has to start the match, hope your opponent can't apply pressure at the start of the round. Even then it won't be great because they both need meter to function.

Zissou

if you want to learn strange you gotta put him on Point. If you survive the incoming mixups you're still at point blank range against whatever character you just defended against and strange is terrible when face to face, you almost never really get to use him unless you're winning. I actually used the ChrisG shell (missiles/tatsu) with Strange on point simply b/c tatsu really got people out of your face. For awhile when I was doing vergil/strange/ammy I would pray rapid slash would push people to the side of the screen but it was really not reliable.

nemo has the best fundamentals of the people that use strange. he does not have the best strange, and the people he plays against are hilariously terrible at blocking so he doesn't really need to elarn the characters.

Would storm whirlwind assist be viable for pushing people away? She'd also be a great dhc after read a book.

mr. puppy

Banned
Would storm whirlwind assist be viable for pushing people away? She'd also be a great dhc after read a book.

I have no idea, I really don't play storm. Give it a shot though, it sounds like a good idea.

On that note, I don't think I've ever made a straight up rushdown team. I'm gonna lab some Jwong wolv/storm/akuma and go ahead and lose with three characters i'm not good at.

smurfx

get some go again
iNBYPXoLwrf0L.jpg

so this is why i can't ever get out of the UWT reset. freaking hitbox extends way beyond the web. dammit killasasa you cheating. :p

Slasher, what would you think about me using Phoenix Wright instead of She-Hulk? Do you think it would work out?

Edit:
How safe is the Get' em Missile! assist? How much recovery time does Wright have?

Purely based on options, what characters do you think would be higher-tier if damage output wasn't an issue? For instance, Wesker is really good at getting hits and flying around, but his damage output on point makes it hard for him to do kill combos.
Pretty much all of the characters considered mid tier, yah? Morrigan would be considered S tier.

Purely based on options, what characters do you think would be higher-tier if damage output wasn't an issue? For instance, Wesker is really good at getting hits and flying around, but his damage output on point makes it hard for him to do kill combos.

Dahbomb

Storm and Trish. RR as well.

Do you think Storm and Trish are better point characters option-wise than the currently popular ones?

Not necessarily Magneto-good but better than say, Nova?

Dahbomb

They are as good as Nova but they still lack one crucial aspect of Nova... his god tier throw game. Now if Trish could convert off her air throws and do respectable damage she would be top tier. Storm needs that plus better specials that can help her zone (ie specials with better properties and frame data).

I would add Deadpool as well. He would be top tier if his teleport confirms led to tods everyone.

Ok so I guess to be more clear, what characters can convert off of most stuff, control space really well or otherwise have really good game plans that are only marred by bad damage?

How good is Deadpool really? I've been asking myself this lately but I don't have good footage or my guide. We already know he's the strongest meterless damage character.

Rocket Raccoon is a good one.

Solune

Ok so I guess to be more clear, what characters can convert off of most stuff, control space really well or otherwise have really good game plans that are only marred by bad damage?

Amaterasu and Hawkeye seem to fit the bill.

Edit: Wow using Caj's tech came up with a sick combo woo.

Vice

How good is Deadpool really? I've been asking myself this lately but I don't have good footage or my guide. We already know he's the strongest meterless damage character.

Rocket Raccoon is a good one.

Deadpool is a great character. Tools for almost every situation and great movement. He's held back by his teleport. If he had a normal teleport there's a good chance people would mention him one tier below Viper and Zero.

shaowebb

Maybe Taskmaster fits that bill too. Rocket Raccoon definitely does. M.O.D.O.K. is getting there in my eyes. Dude is pretty darn untapped. Balloon Bomb as an assist is really annoying too if you use it right. Can setup some great mixups and extend stuff.

shaowebb

Don't agree with Taskmaster, even though his damage got nerfed slighty dude still hits hard.

Yeah his damage isn't really a thing that is low its just folks tend to choose other guys who can get more damage for less effort is why I threw him in at all. Figure he'd count by default because he sort of fits on that technicality.

Him on point with Rising Dragon assist is pretty harsh IMO.

All of Karst's talk of Ghost Rider made me put together a makeshift team of GR/Deadpool/Sentinel. It's been doing ok, but I think I might be too worried to try Deadpool's slide assist for unblockables.

They are as good as Nova but they still lack one crucial aspect of Nova... his god tier throw game. Now if Trish could convert off her air throws and do respectable damage she would be top tier. Storm needs that plus better specials that can help her zone (ie specials with better properties and frame data).

I would add Deadpool as well. He would be top tier if his teleport confirms led to tods everyone.

The problem for them isn't just damage, a much bigger problem is meter building. Guys like Magneto and Dante doesn't do that much damage too but they can build meter for DHCs, THCs and lvl 3s. While Storm, Trish and Deadpool are all meter hogs that are terrible at building meter. Due to the way damage scaling works letting them build more meter will help them a lot more than increasing their damage.

one_kill

Can anyone explain how to do fly combos with Sentinel and Magneto? I'm not particularly sure what to press along with the timing.

mr. puppy

Banned
I wonder if Modok's barrier is worth running as an assist vs. Morridoom. Not sure if its better than Beam or Jamming Bomb, but I haven't played with it yet. Still fiddling with modok/dante/sentinel (which is a ton of fun btw).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
the only action scene they have to show off is a condo getting blown up? i am really really not excited for this movie. the voiceovers are hilariously bad also.
That and him saving the people falling out of
Air Force One
. Well, they're saving the "big" leaked action scene for a later trailer for sure, way too early to reveal that, hopefully they don't at all. I would have liked more Extremis goodness in that trailer though.

JeTmAn81

Can anyone explain how to do fly combos with Sentinel and Magneto? I'm not particularly sure what to press along with the timing.

The timing and specifics on fly combos vary from character to character, so you're probably best off checking out the character forums for each on www.shoryuken.com. There should be plenty of combo info there.

Bizazedo

Most sports tend to take a lot longer for one game than Marvel does, though. It's a pretty bad comparison to make.

They do, but take football. One dude fumbles, you throw an interception, something crazy happens on a kickoff and a penalty, and you could be screwed for the entire game.....and frequently are.

If it was best of 5, the Cardinals would be in the World Series.

The Nationals lost in a single game playoff :).

You can use the "well if you played more games" argument for everything.

More games IS better, but you still have to take each specific game and say at some point the ability to adapt quickly is part of a skillset.

That and man up.

Apologies to any of the ladies out there.

I love Wesker.

Dahbomb

I don't know about this whole capture state glitch combo that DP does... I don't know how practical it is plus it requires some specific assists. I don't see how Hawkeye can't do something like this either.

Ignoring the high damage that DP can do... he is still a strong character. His guns are fast and full screen, they are like Hawkeye arrows in their screen presence (not as much durability). He can aim it at different angles and it makes for major annoyance against any flying character. His teleport is crazy good and it can be used off of specials, meaning you can be zoning and then be up in their face in an instance. He can decently convert off of throws. His normals are fine up close but anything outside that range he needs to use his specials. He needs one cover assist to do well, either Vajra or a projectile/beam assist.

If that combo is practical then it's going to be rather fucking stupid when Deadpool TODs characters from full screen away. If his teleport didn't have that drawback he would be top tier.

The problem for them isn't just damage, a much bigger problem is meter building. Guys like Magneto and Dante doesn't do that much damage too but they can build meter for DHCs, THCs and lvl 3s. While Storm, Trish and Deadpool are all meter hogs that are terrible at building meter. Due to the way damage scaling works letting them build more meter will help them a lot more than increasing their damage.

Again, I should reiterate. This isn't a hypothetical question, I'm actually trying to find out how much the metagame could potentially change due to TAC infinites. Damage and meter build are more or less irrelevant.

Dahbomb

Again, I should reiterate. This isn't a hypothetical question, I'm actually trying to find out how much the metagame could potentially change due to TAC infinites. Damage and meter build are more or less irrelevant.
Didn't we already discuss this enough post-EVO?

TODs are still going to be prevalent because they don't require a guess to finish someone off. Zero, Spencer, Vergil, Viper etc are still going to be top class of characters in the game because they can kill you in one touch without even messing with the TAC. It's going to help characters like Phoenix, X-23 who can win games off of insane meter gain.

Oh and point Strider would be top 3 in the game if damage/meter gain wasn't a problem for him. Until then he has to be relegated to anchor XF status top character.

Didn't we already discuss this enough post-EVO?

Nope! I still think it's the most relevant development in Marvel going into this season. Thanks for answering anyway, though:

Oh and point Strider would be top 3 in the game if damage/meter gain wasn't a problem for him. Until then he has to be relegated to anchor XF status top character.

This is a good one. The question then becomes what is Strider's absolute #1 assist, and does that character have a TAC infinite?

TODs are still going to be prevalent because they don't require a guess to finish someone off. Zero, Spencer, Vergil, Viper etc are still going to be top class of characters in the game because they can kill you in one touch without even messing with the TAC. It's going to help characters like Phoenix, X-23 who can win games off of insane meter gain.
Yes, yes, I know. But X-23 teams completely change what is required of a point character. Dante, for instance, is a garbage point character on a TAC team but amazing second. Zero is God but that's another story.

Dahbomb

Strider and Iron Man (beam) is legit as is Mag and Doom. You can't go wrong with Sentinel backing up Strider either.

Something like Strider/IM/Sentinel or Strider/Mag/Sentinel. Strider/Doom/Ammy would work too... plus raw tag technology.

Well I can't do those teams because 3rd will always be X-23. Although I'm starting to think Sentinel is better than stronger assists for many characters just because of Hard Drive. TAC team with hard drive on defense? Might work out.

Dahbomb

I thought you were talking about teams optimized for Strider on point with TAC infinite characters backing him up.

X-23 team will always have Dante on it plus a secondary character with a practical TAC infinite.

Thinking about learning Deadpool/Nemesis, since Nemesis' jump in overhead is a bit better than Ghost Rider's, and he has a much bigger damage potential. I'm at work so I'm just formulating in my head. Would love to play someone later though!

onionfrog

Thinking about learning Deadpool/Nemesis, since Nemesis' jump in overhead is a bit better than Ghost Rider's, and he has a much bigger damage potential. I'm at work so I'm just formulating in my head. Would love to play someone later though!
You should have a nice unblockables with quickwork assist + jump H that leads to full combo. If you're comfortable with sentinel you could also run him with drones. Nemesis with drones seems like a pretty good combination. (Professor Beef beat me quite handily with it a few weeks ago. He used drones to cover nemesis and catch me with some command grab setups in between me trying to block drones)

mr. puppy

Banned
i don't know what the fuck i'm thinking trying out spencer/vergil/frank. they're all free to incoming mixups, they're free to incoming mixups and if frank is point or dies, the team goes to shit.

just for shits i'm gonna try out Firebrand/Doom Missiles/Hulk b/c all of their ults have armor and I want to spam Hulks AA assist like its some invincible shit from MVC2

Azure J

So I just beat Akuma's Shoryu super with a Hammer and now I have to investigate the invincibility periods on certain attacks. This is also coming after Final Justice beat my Ragnarok when they were triggered at the same time in a match with my bro's friend last night.

No worries. Teams I used:
I am messing with the following teams right now, and kind of enjoying all of them in some way:
Wesker/Dormammu/Morrigan
Skrull/Dormammu/Morrigan
Vergil/Dormammu/Morrigan
Morrigan/Dormammu/Strider
Deadpool/Dormammu/Morrigan
Firebrand/Dormammu/Morrigan

Wesker team - I remember lots of pew pew pew combined with assist combos and many Dark Harmonizers. Can't say much except it was really effective. That team is a real noob killer team and it doesn't even take much work to get it going.

Skrull - So many random fishes for Infeeeeeeeeeeernooooo. It was driving me nuts. I liked all those lockdowns into his elastic grabs. I was mad that I couldn't do anything against him with Shulkie. I was happy when I user her AA super to knock his annoying green ass to the corner though.

Vergil - So many happy birthdays. I think I went to the bathroom at one point and came back to see you on a 100 hit combo. You've clearly put some work into learning him even if you don't think so. Makes me laugh that you can do his stuff so well, but can't get even a basic soul fist loop combo down. Not laughing at you though. Just laughing at the absurdity of it all.

Deadpool team - I think I saw him like two times. I can't recall a single thing about him during our fights.

Firebrand - "Kya kya kya lemme swoop down on you for a minute" is all I could imagine him saying during our fight. He spent so much time in the air that I kinda resorted to more horizontal air soul fists to keep him out of the sky a bit. You knew his combos. There isn't much else to say.

Strider team - Really oppressive because of that assist. I can't recall you going for any crazy XF3 ouroboros shenanigans. I think fought him a couple of times on point, but I can't remember much. Probably one of your less effective teams. His assist is totally more useful than the character on point imo(unless he blows XF2 or above).

If I had to rank your teams they would go something like this:

Vergil team>Wesker team>FireBrand team>Skrull team>Strider team>Deadpool team

Top Bottom