• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

I'll just say I have a friends list of about 80, all active daily, and only 1 or 2 others are currently playing through Vanquish, not including me.
Shame on them all. Shame Fallout had to come out the same day, they're mostly all playing that or another new release.

I see Vanquish as a fresh, revolutionary experience that stuff like even Fallout can take a trip to the backlog for. Such a shame many people are closed-minded and want to jump to whatever they are used to playing...the excuses they make up to validate themselves out of buying a game like Vanquish (and buy a same-y sequel to something they've played to death) make me pity them...

PlatinumGames truly are on the top of their game in this industry and I hope things only escalate in quality.

On to the game. I pre-ordered and have the 3 bonus weapons (pistol, laser cannon, boost machine gun) and they are are pretty unique and useful. I feel bad for others who didn't get a chance to preorder. Are they planning any additional DLC or putting that up for public in the future at least?

jetsetfluken said:
I'll just say I have a friends list of about 80, all active daily, and only 1 or 2 others are currently playing through Vanquish, not including me.
Shame on them all. Shame Fallout had to come out the same day, they're mostly all playing that or another new release.

I see Vanquish as a fresh, revolutionary experience that stuff like even Fallout can take a trip to the backlog for. Such a shame many people are closed-minded and want to jump to whatever they are used to playing...the excuses they make up to validate themselves out of buying a game like Vanquish (and buy a same-y sequel to something they've played to death) make me pity them...

PlatinumGames truly are on the top of their game in this industry and I hope things only escalate in quality.

On to the game. I pre-ordered and have the 3 bonus weapons (pistol, laser cannon, boost machine gun) and they are are pretty unique and useful. I feel bad for others who didn't get a chance to preorder. Are they planning any additional DLC or putting that up for public in the future at least?
I wouldn't go that far. Why don't you pull the throttle back turbo.

hamchan

I suspect a lot of people that want to play both Vanquish and Fallout are buying Fallout now because it's a game that will take a while to drop in price. With Vanquish the game will likely go bomba price very quickly so a lot of people can wait for this to happen while playing a lengthy, addictive RPG.

hamchan said:
I suspect a lot of people that want to play both Vanquish and Fallout are buying Fallout now because it's a game that will take a while to drop in price. With Vanquish the game will likely go bomba price very quickly so a lot of people can wait for this to happen while playing a lengthy, addictive RPG.
Hamchan, you forgot buggy.

practice02 said:
I wouldn't go that far. Why don't you pull the throttle back turbo.

Maybe revolutionary is the wrong word, but it definitely adds never before seen twists and elements into the genre that blend together perfectly. The definition of a solid product. The art direction (just look at the background and the Colony itself!!) and use of the color palette (white/green) is genius.
A breath of fresh air.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The only graphical glitch I've encountered in Vanquish is Sam having issues staying in cover behind walls while on an elevating platform, and only in one spot so far.

Meanwhile, in Fallout, I've been delighted by moonwalking dogs, a guy who hovers, and NPCs whose heads twist and spin uncontrollably.

Plus, Fallout 3 was dreadfully boring. I'll probably get New Vegas when a GOTY edition hits on Steam, mainly because many folks behind the original games worked on it - and I love the originals.

thetrin said:
The only graphical glitch I've encountered in Vanquish is Sam having issues staying in cover behind walls while on an elevating platform, and only in one spot so far.

Meanwhile, in Fallout, I've been delighted by moonwalking dogs, a guy who hovers, and NPCs whose heads twist and spin uncontrollably.
Comparing the two is a little unfair. the sheer amount of information that the game has to keep track of will lead to glicthes like that. thats why you see things like, example, a moon walking dog happen in open world games, there's more likely a chance for the code to do something stupid. Now if you were to compare Quatum theory to Vaquish that would be a whole other story.
jetsetfluken said:
Maybe revolutionary is the wrong word, but it definitely adds never before seen twists and elements into the genre that blend together perfectly. The definition of a solid product. The art direction (just look at the background and the Colony itself!!) and use of the color palette (white/green) is genius.
A breath of fresh air.
To compare two games. Where Gears of War is a little more slower it pace makes it the RTS of shooters, while Vanquish is a speed up TPS equivelent of a bullet hell game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
practice02 said:
Comparing the two is a little unfair. the sheer amount of information that the game has to keep track of will lead to glicthes like that. thats why you see things like, example, a moon walking dog happen in open world games, there's more likely a chance for the code to do something stupid. Now if you were to compare Quatum theory to Vaquish that would be a whole other story.

I'm not really comparing them to say one is better, and I know it's a totally unfair comparison. I'm enjoying both greatly. To be fair, though, Obsidian is notorious for rotten programming. Everything they put out is buggy as fuck.

At least in New Vegas, the bugs are hilarious.

EDIT: Actually, I totally remember another bug from Vanquish. I was playing 1-4, and I zoomed in with a sniper rifle at a door to the end of the level, and there was definitely a marine hovering above the doorway taking potshots at robots. :lol

practice02 said:
There is a shit load going in Vanquish too. Every bullet is actually there in game. It's not just a line shooting from a gun.

thetrin

I don't think anyone is going to argue that Obsidian's programming is sloppy as fuck. They could make a shooter and people's heads would rotate and fly into the sky. That's just how they roll.

Dever

Banned
Just got done doing my duty to support this game. So, should I go on Hard or Normal? the challenge room demo wasn't that hard after a few tries for me, would Normal be too small a challenge?

thetrin

Dever said:
Just got done doing my duty to support this game. So, should I go on Hard or Normal? the challenge room demo wasn't that hard after a few tries for me, would Normal be too small a challenge?

I'm playing on normal because I'm not Dr. Videogames, but a lot of people in the thread are playing on Hard.

CaptYamato said:
There is a shit load going in Vanquish too. Every bullet is actually there in game. It's not just a line shooting from a gun.
Yeah. This really floored me in the demo. I never saw that in a game before. Complete with Matrix-like bullet trails and everything!

CaptYamato said:
Yeah, but the game isn't saving and accessing information about the way that bullet travelled every time you encounter a bad guy all the way through the game.
Yeah. This really floored me in the demo. I never saw that in a game before. Complete with Matrix-like bullet trails and everything!
Trajectories and bullets being treated as solid in game objects are used fairly often, specificly multiplayer games it helps with players that have different pings playing against each other Gears, battlefield bad Company 2, tf2 just name a few all do this. it's just that it uses a liot of the cpus resources to keep track of it.

thetrin

I love going into AR mode and killing a robot as his final bullet comes barreling toward my head, and then dodging out of the way as I exit AR. So fucking epic.

The End

CaptYamato said:
The pistol you get with the pre-order is powerful as Fuck.

It's supremely useful, but the Battleship Laser is nearly game-breaking. If you set yourself up in the right position to hit a whole squad of guys coming through a door or out of a dropship you can get 6-7 kills on a charge.

thetrin said:
I love going into AR mode and killing a robot as his final bullet comes barreling toward my head, and then dodging out of the way as I exit AR. So fucking epic.
:lol Truth. This game contains 100% badass concentrate.

You also have to love the perception of sound waves while in AR mode. When you shoot a Romanov unit enough, it'll screech and you can see the wave emission.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
hamchan said:
Yeah the lack of hype on the internet is really worrying.

There is no hype IRL either. Sold one copy since launch and they wanted to return it the same day. Bought it in the morning, tried to return it early in the evening. "Beat it, no multiplayer. Sucks. Give me my money back."

He did not get his money back. :lol

Platinum Games titles just will never hit with the amount of people they should. They're too addicted to the AAA.

panda21

i love how they slow down all the sound in AR mode too, even the voice acting. like during one of the bits where elena or someone's picture pops up and they are talking to you, if you go into AR their voices go liikkkkeeee tthiiiissss.

thetrin

The End said:
It's supremely useful, but the Battleship Laser is nearly game-breaking. If you set yourself up in the right position to hit a whole squad of guys coming through a door or out of a dropship you can get 6-7 kills on a charge.

I didn't get the preorder weapons. Is the battleship laser a continuous stream or a giant bolt?

Kintaro said:
There is no hype IRL either. Sold one copy since launch and they wanted to return it the same day. Bought it in the morning, tried to return it early in the evening. "Beat it, no multiplayer. Sucks. Give me my money back."

He did not get his money back. :lol

Platinum Games titles just will never hit with the amount of people they should. They're too addicted to the AAA.

Did he even attempt the challenges?

Also, how the fuck would you do multiplayer, unless you completely take out AR mode (which is the meat of the game)?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
thetrin said:
Did he even attempt the challenges?

Also, how the fuck would you do multiplayer, unless you completely take out AR mode (which is the meat of the game)?

Well, obviously he didn't. Nor did he care to.

The End

thetrin said:
I didn't get the preorder weapons. Is the battleship laser a continuous stream or a giant bolt?

It's a stream that uses your AR gauge for ammo, so upgrading it (1) increases damage and (2) increases the duration of the stream.

robor

Hideki Kamiya... no idea, but he did hint that PG has a multiplayer game in development.

Oh is that what it was? For some reason I thought he said he's working on another project right now. My mind is scattered from too much Vanquish it seems : \

thetrin said:
I'm not really comparing them to say one is better, and I know it's a totally unfair comparison. I'm enjoying both greatly. To be fair, though, Obsidian is notorious for rotten programming. Everything they put out is buggy as fuck.
to be fair, oblivion and fallout 3 were buggy as fuck too. its not all obsidian.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
After beginning yet another Resident Evil 4 run yesterday on Pro mode I was pushed into buying this today out of Mikami love.

Any tips to begin with?

thetrin

Rabbitwork said:
to be fair, oblivion and fallout 3 were buggy as fuck too. its not all obsidian.

Well sure. It's a recipe for hilarity. A company that develops buggy games works on a buggy engine made by a company known for buggy games.

thetrin said:
Well sure. It's a recipe for hilarity. A company that develops buggy games works on a buggy engine made by a company known for buggy games.
i feel at this point it would feel wrong if an elder scrolls or fallout game released without a lot of hilarious, near experience-breaking bugs. its like they all come from the same universe where the rules of time-space have begun to dissipate.

Shadow780

Dever said:

I'm playing it on Hard, since there're difficulty-specific trophies tied with it.

thetrin

I'm actually hoping I see more hovering marines before I finish Vanquish. After playing Castlevania LoS and New Vegas, I'm a little disappointed by how solid Vanquish is. :lol

vcassano1 said:
After beginning yet another Resident Evil 4 run yesterday on Pro mode I was pushed into buying this today out of Mikami love.

Any tips to begin with?
After the heavy machine guns melee atteck you can go into slow mo, every time you see a crowd of robot emp grenade then regular grenade them, and always shoot at the weak spots to do critical damage
Due to this game, I don't know if I'll ever pick Lords of Shadow up again. :lol
Not to derail but is it that bad I was thinking of picking it up after a price drop or in a Black friday sale. The demo left a good impression.

Empty

vcassano1 said:

Any tips to begin with?

don't play it like gears of war. you should be constantly moving.

try not to overheat, but push the ars bar to the edge.

use melee on enemies very sparingly.

roll a lot.

you can shoot grenades by going into slowmo to make a bigger explosion.

you can get more height and sometimes better positions by zoom sliding into a piece of cover, meleeing the cover, which doesn't make you overheat, then going into aim in mid air to go into slowmo and take down guys.

Curufinwe

Empty said:
you can get more height and sometimes better positions by zoom sliding into a piece of cover, meleeing the cover, which doesn't make you overheat, then going into aim in mid air to go into slowmo and take down guys.

Good tip, cheers.

practice02 said:
Not to derail but is it that bad I was thinking of picking it up after a price drop or in a Black friday sale. The demo left a good impression.

I hated the demo, but thought the full game is alright. So if you already liked the demo you should love the full game.

Back with Vanquish; I just beat the first Challenge. I really didn't expect
them to stick Bogey at the end.

I started using boost way more often(to dodge gunfire or quickly get to the weapon stashes and cover) and it paid off. No deaths, yay.

Just finished normal mode, currently ranked 5th on the leaderboards. :D

I am now convinced that Shinji Mikami is the best game designer in the world. I just wish the game had one more act.

iconoclast said:
Just finished normal mode, currently ranked 5th on the leaderboards. :D

I am now convinced that Shinji Mikami is the best game designer in the world. I just wish the game had one more act.

Was there any doubt that Mikami is JeZeus? I follow the good book that says whatever he puts out will be fucking awesome.

Linkzg said:
Was there any doubt that Mikami is JeZeus? I follow the good book that says whatever he puts out will be fucking awesome.

I used to put him alongside other top designers, but after Vanquish, he pretty much stands above everyone else. Shit, he directed the best TPSs two generations in a row. He's the king.

Beat it on Hard tonight, up to 810 achievement points. Everything seems possible except the last challenge, apparently insanely hard. Finding all the little trophy dudes is going to take some time as well.

Loving the game, not liking the story. Will whine about that tomorrow after I've slept.

For now, wow last fight on Hard was awesomely difficult. You have to use everything that you learned up to that point to make it through. Amazing battle choreography, really a very satisfying end.

thetrin

practice02 said:

I really liked LoS, but I wouldn't play it AFTER Vanquish.

thetrin

Dave1988 said:
He finally fulfilled his promise...:lol

No he didn't! He didn't cut his own head off! Someone did it for him!

Top Bottom