• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video of man working on shop projects in garage released as "visual album"

Status
Not open for further replies.

kulapik

I don't believe NYtimes would make up a date. Either it was supposed to drop on Friday or that was intentional misdirection.

Why did they drop those Instagram filters on Friday?

The snapchat filters were obviously unofficial. The "Waiting for Frank's album like" should have made it obvious

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The snapchat filters were obviously unofficial. The "Waiting for Frank's album like" should have made it obvious

Wait Snapchat will let random people make filters? I had no idea. If so I stand corrected. I thought they went through some approval process.

Red_Man

Not to mention both the Apple twitter account and an Apple exec posting on Instagram that new Frank was coming soon. Seems like something fucked up and halted the release, they aren't putting up that site with all these teasers to release it in November.

MThanded

Not to mention both the Apple twitter account and an Apple exec posting on Instagram that new Frank was coming soon. Seems like something fucked up and halted the release, they aren't putting up that site with all these teasers to release it in November.
Agreed

Ok, but what do you think the November 13th date signifies? Some are saying it's in reference to Camp Flog Gnaw, alluding that he might play the show.

MThanded

Ok, but what do you think the November 13th date signifies? Some are saying it's in reference to Camp Flog Gnaw, alluding that he might play the show.
I think it alludes to him playing the show. Just like you stated. Not that the album wouldn't drop until then. Seems odd for Apple twitter, Apple Exec twitter, snapchat filters, NYtimes article and video stream to all happen in one week to drum up press for an album thats dropping in november.

Kind of just answered your question there, no? And given how he cancelled shows before without explanation, you can't even be sure of his presence at CFG.

Koozek

Top 3

Bealbum.jpg
Good choice. One of my all-time faves, too. Incidentally also Kanye's best production work, imo.

Koozek

Slum Village - Fantastic Vol. 2
slumvillagefantasticvol2.jpg

OutKast - Stankonia
OutKast_-_Stankonia.JPG

Common - Be
Bealbum.jpg

Madvillain - Madvillainy
Madvillainy_cover.png

Jay-Z - The Black Album
Jay-z-black-album.jpg

Though I might replace Madvillainy with Little Brother - The Minstrel Show.

I think it alludes to him playing the show. Just like you stated. Not that the album wouldn't drop until then. Seems odd for Apple twitter, Apple Exec twitter, snapchat filters, NYtimes article and video stream to all happen in one week to drum up press for an album thats dropping in november.

I really, really, REALLY want to be wrong on this one.

Here's to hoping it happens this week.

Ok well, went out and got me some Kanye, loaded 5 albums up on my iPod.
Yeezus
College Dropout
Watch the throne
TLOP
Graduation
I'll give em all a spin and post some impressions

Koozek

Ok well, went out and got me some Kanye, loaded 5 albums up on my iPod.
Yeezus
College Dropout
Watch the throne
TLOP
Graduation
I'll give em all a spin and post some impressions

No Late Registration??? No MBDTF??? Who needs WTT, replace that with LR. Also I would listen to TLOP last.

No Late Registration??? No MBDTF??? Who needs WTT, replace that with LR. Also I would listen to TLOP last.
I left out MBDTF and put TLOP on because I wanted to know what everyone was on about when talking about TLOP and no one really talks about MBDTF from what I've seen mostly. I just chose WTT at random. I'll check out LR tho

Helmholtz

I left out MBDTF and put TLOP on because I wanted to know what everyone was on about when talking about TLOP and no one really talks about MBDTF from what I've seen mostly. I just chose WTT at random. I'll check out LR tho
MBDTF is his best project in my (and many others) opinion. I think it's essential if you're looking to get into his music.

Red_Man

MBDTF is his best work and one of the best rap albums of all time.

Koozek

Until this thread I've literally never heard of it, might just be me tho because I'm really not part of the scene

It's literally the opposite. It's considered his Magnum Opus and was one on basically every music site's AOTY list that year.

Forget about WTT, it's not a Ye solo album. I'd honestly listen to all albums in order of release just to understand his sonic progression. CD, LR, Grad, 808, MBDTF, Yeezus.

I think it's better to listen to the discography in order of release than just at random.
I usually do this with every new artist I listen to tbh. I usually just start with songs that interest me or albums that are popular then develop my taste for the artist from there with a few randoms thrown in. It takes like an hour to listen to an album though and 30 seconds to switch out stuff. Usually when listening in chronological order I get bored since some of an artist's early work isn't as refined as their later work or their style changes completely throughout their career and at that time I just kinda feel one style more than the other.

Glazed

Also, it's Watch the Throne's 5th anniversary.

No Church in the Wild is such a GOAT intro track. Frank :(

I usually do this with every new artist I listen to tbh. I usually just start with songs that interest me or albums that are popular then develop my taste for the artist from there with a few randoms thrown in. It takes like an hour to listen to an album though and 30 seconds to switch out stuff. Usually when listening in chronological order I get bored since some of an artist's early work isn't as refined as their later work or their style changes completely throughout their career and at that time I just kinda feel one style more than the other.
There really are no missteps in Kanye's solo discography (including WTT), imo. I think it's definitely worth it to listen to his music beginning to end

Also, it's Watch the Throne's 5th anniversary.

No Church in the Wild is such a GOAT intro track. Frank :(

There really are no missteps in Kanye's solo discography (including WTT), imo. I think it's definitely worth it to listen to his music beginning to end
I'm not saying I wont get to it all eventually, I just never personally feel any obligation to listen to an artist's work chronologically.

I'm not saying I wont get to it all eventually, I just never personally feel any obligation to listen to an artist's work chronologically.
Man at least put Late Registration after dropout and leave TLOP for later.
Which isn't an insult towards TLOP but I think Late Registration fits just outside of your reasons for not wanting to listen in chronological order.
(Though honestly I can't think of an artist who's discography is meant to be listened to in chronological order more than Kanye, its like audio character development with his persona and skills, not to mention it makes you appreciate certain things later on more)

Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
Mobb Deep - The Infamous
Nas - It was Written (illmatic in class of its own)
Smif N Wessun - Dah Shinin
DMX - Dark and Hell is Hot (have we had a harder MC since DMX? The answer is no)

Honorable mentions
Wu Tang - Enter the 36 Chambers & Wu Tang Forever
Method Man - Tical
GZA - Liquid Swordz (fuck it, all those early Wu Tang albums)
Cormega - The Realness (The Montana Way mixtape is better though)
Keith Murray - The Most Beautifullest Thing in the World

Looking at the above you can see why I can't stand recent hip hop, too soft for my taste
it's dark and dark is hot is an all time classic. Literally every track is classic. He gets a free pass for life from me for it.

Until this thread I've literally never heard of it, might just be me tho because I'm really not part of the scene
It's you, I didn't even start actively listening to music until three years ago and I heard of it, the album is generally considered the best of the decade and one of the best of all time, the praise was everywhere.
Pitchfork gave it a 10.

Red_Man

I listen to MBDTF in full on my way to work at least once a week. I'll never grow tired of it, it's perfection.

Red_Man

Been listening to Kanye all day yesterday and today thanks to this thread, and I can confirm it does help in this difficult time.

KmA

Not to totally ignore the discussion about albums going on, but have y'all heard this??? Fertilizer is ALWAYS stuck in my head after I run through channel Orange:

Fertilizer by James Fauntleroy

Apparently this guy co produced channel Orange I think? This song is bomb as hell. And his mixtape "Leading By Example" is really good too.

No real order:

Lupe - Food & Liquor
Kanye - MBDTF
Roots - How I Got Over
Common - Be
Lupe - The Cool

HM:

Logic - Under Pressure
Kid Cudi - MotM 1
Watch The Throne - WTT
Jay-Z - Black Album
Lauryn Hill - Miseducation
Wale - Attention Defecit
Kendrick - GKMC
BoB - Adventures of Bobby Ray
Childish Gambino - Camp

jaypah

Not to totally ignore the discussion about albums going on, but have y'all heard this??? Fertilizer is ALWAYS stuck in my head after I run through channel Orange:

Fertilizer by James Fauntleroy

Apparently this guy co produced channel Orange I think? This song is bomb as hell. And his mixtape "Leading By Example" is really good too.

Me too. Heard Fertilizer on the Slim K Chopped Not Slopped version of Channel Orange (Channel Purple) and was like, "Where did he find a whole version of this shit to chop and screw?". I looked it up and I've been a fan ever since. Funny enough the beginning of the Frank vs Chris Brown shit was from a tweet where CB said that FO reminded him of a young James Fauntleroy, to which FO responded that CB reminded him of a young James Brown (or Bobby Brown, can't remember which). This was right after the domestic violence ugliness.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I know we're doing Kanye rankings but I'm curious to see everyone's top 5 rap albums.

Mobb Deep - Hell On Earth
Redman - Muddy Waters
The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientele
Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus

JohnDoe

Banned
Madvillain - Madvillainy
Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid, M.A.A.D City
A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
GZA - Liquid Swords
Outkast - Aquemini

Honorable Mentions:
Kanye West - The College Dropout
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientele
Outkast - ATLiens
Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle
Future - 56 Nights

Made it through Yeezus and Graduation so far. New Slaves and Black Skinhead are great. I didn't really feel too much of everything else, a least nearly on that level, it has some great production but it doesn't feel nearly as coherent or consistent as Graduation, I've heard about half of graduation my life so I don't really have any newfound love for the songs but I can appreciate them more than I did when I heard them but I kinda zoned out a lot while listening to graduation so it'll probably require another listen for comments on substance. I really like the commentary and lyrics on the two songs I mentioned and production and delivery. I liked a lot of things about blood on the leaves but the subject matter kinda ruins it for me, or well if it's anti abortion I can't get behind that.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Made it through Yeezus and Graduation so far. New Slaves and Black Skinhead are great. I didn't really feel too much of everything else, a least nearly on that level, it has some great production but it doesn't feel nearly as coherent or consistent as Graduation, I've heard about half of graduation my life so I don't really have any newfound love for the songs but I can appreciate them more than I did when I heard them but I kinda zoned out a lot while listening to graduation so it'll probably require another listen for comments on substance. I really like the commentary and lyrics on the two songs I mentioned and production and delivery. I liked a lot of things about blood on the leaves but the subject matter kinda ruins it for me, or well if it's anti abortion I can't get behind that.

Skip straight to Late Registration now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom