• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warriors Orochi 3 |OT| The second-worst game featuring Ryu Hayabusa out this week

Golbez

Unlocked every character and cutscene/ending. Already have Ma Chao, Zhao Yun, and Hideyoshi at 99 and capable of doing Chaos runs. I hope we get some of that DLC soon!

Marvie_3

Banned
Unlocked every character and cutscene/ending. Already have Ma Chao, Zhao Yun, and Hideyoshi at 99 and capable of doing Chaos runs. I hope we get some of that DLC soon!

My first 99. I've got Guan Yu, Zhou Tai, and Lian Shi all at 99 too. Haven't started on Chaos yet but they make getting the rare items really easy.

DarkCloud

I thought she wasn't in 6? :p

She wasn't but she was in Strikeforce 2. And since that was a modified version of DW6 visuals Koei gave her that outfit when they released the DW6 outfit pack in DW7. Same for other characters like Da Qiaou and Zhu Rong who also were absent from 6.

Marvie_3

Banned
Speaking of DW: Strikeforce, does anyone in here still have it? I could never find anyone to play coop online with so I'm not far into the game. Would love to start playing that again too.

DarkCloud

I have the 360 version of Strikeforce. No live atm but I plan to fix that next week. If you have that version I would be willing to play.

This game has been an absolute time sponge. I'll get out of a 1500+ kill stage, do some weapon fusion and immediately want to go tear some shit up again with my new fangled death dealer. So far, I've maxed Hanzo and Zhou Tai. I have a few others hanging around 50-70. Super happy that it received a western release.

I have a problem though, I've been playing on Easy-Hard and for the life of me, I can't score any crystals. I know you don't get any on easy, but both normal and hard have produced nothing. I've done triple attacks on multiple officers, searched for crates, etc. It's getting kind of irritating. I guess Musou Battlefields is my best bet?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
This game has been an absolute time sponge. I'll get out of a 1500+ kill stage, do some weapon fusion and immediately want to go tear some shit up again with my new fangled death dealer. So far, I've maxed Hanzo and Zhou Tai. I have a few others hanging around 50-70. Super happy that it received a western release.

I have a problem though, I've been playing on Easy-Hard and for the life of me, I can't score any crystals. I know you don't get any on easy, but both normal and hard have produced nothing. I've done triple attacks on multiple officers, searched for crates, etc. It's getting kind of irritating. I guess Musou Battlefields is my best bet?

I honestly have no idea how people aren't getting crystals. I've played on Normal/Hard for 90% of my 90 hour playtime, and I'm sitting on a stack of 99 crystals (actually kinda sucks because I'm not getting any more, but I don't generally like dropping 20,000+ gems on a big star weapon just to get rid of a few crystals).

I honestly have no idea how people aren't getting crystals. I've played on Normal/Hard for 90% of my 90 hour playtime, and I'm sitting on a stack of 99 crystals (actually kinda sucks because I'm not getting any more, but I don't generally like dropping 20,000+ gems on a big star weapon just to get rid of a few crystals).

It's odd. I guess I'm doing something wrong. When I get home tonight, I'll give it another shot before I jump into the Battlefields mode.

Also, Jesus Tap Dancing Christ at you clocking in at 90. I've put in about 25 and I feel like I've been playing endlessly. I guess that's what taking care of a house and having a wife will do to a man.

This is looking pretty good from what I read so far, never played the Orochi series but have played every DW plus most of the clones (Kens Rage is my favorite warriors game ever). Still debating because DL only for PS3 is BS imo and importing is expensive.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

You know you get crystals from killing officers with the triple team right?

She wasn't but she was in Strikeforce 2. And since that was a modified version of DW6 visuals Koei gave her that outfit when they released the DW6 outfit pack in DW7. Same for other characters like Da Qiaou and Zhu Rong who also were absent from 6.

Ah I see! Was curious as to where the 3rd costume came from. Although I dont like it. WAY TOO PLAIN.... I kinda have a fetish for knightly girls T.T

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Ahh, that's rather unfortunate. Hope you can play soon. This is seriously the best Warriors game.

Masamuna

Probably a non issue as I level up more, but I should make it a rule to interim save every time that bitch Himiko shows up. Her musou may as well be instant title screen on my ass :(

Other than that one of the best musou games i've played in a while. Time Sink x 9000

Marvie_3

Banned
Probably a non issue as I level up more, but I should make it a rule to interim save every time that bitch Himiko shows up. Her musou may as well be instant title screen on my ass :(

Other than that one of the best musou games i've played in a while. Time Sink x 9000

Same here. I hate that shit.

MrDaravon

Anybody notice any weird difficulty spikes? I've been playing Warriors games since the first so I'm not stranger to how these work, but I seem to be encountering the "enemy officer hits you once into a combo and you die no matter what" thing more than in previous games. That's something that seems to always come up occasionally in previous games, but it seems to be happening to me pretty frequently here for some reason. I don't think I'm underleveled, I'm 2 or 3 battles into Chapter 2 and all my people are Level 20 with semi-leveled "big star" weapons, and I'm completely decimating everything else. It keeps killing my momentum :(

YES! Himiko specifically seems to be the problem most of the time. Well at least that makes me feel a little better.

Masamuna

Its very possible that it could most major characters, just seems like every time i do eat a musou its from an average grunt officer or Himiko.

Oh, and Guan Yu's @ DingJun iirc instant KO'd me as well.

You know you get crystals from killing officers with the triple team right?

So uh, yeah, there's that.

Make sure your triple team kills the officer, I think. I've noticed that some of the officers will live through it if they are at full health, and I seem to get no crystals when that happens.

Mrbob

What level is recommended to play Chaos? I have Ryu, Ayane, and Sun Shang Xiang all in the 30s to 40s now. I see the cap is 99? Time to boost them up some more!

*shrug* Didn't see that line. idk I'm always sitting on like 20 plus I only played normal so far

It's cool.

Someone just mentioned that it might be a health related issue and that's kind of sticking out at me right now. I usually spot the officer and try to rock them while they have full health, so that might be it. I'll try it tonight.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
By the way, the first US DLC was announced. A weapon pack consisting of special weapons for Ma Chao, Kaguya, Shuten Doji, and Hanbei. Comes out next Tuesday. No details on pricing yet. Hopefully it's free.

http://www.tecmokoeiamerica.com/orochi3/dlc/index.html

aMEIa.jpg

lNJDX.jpg

tVuXw.jpg

tOtX3.jpg

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Hopefully. I'm not paying for only 4 weapons.

And I'm not paying for weapons for characters I never use. Out of those four, Ma Chao is the only one I'd even think of using regularly.

Interestingly enough, Ma Chao's weapon in that pack came as a bonus with the Treasure Box edition of the game in Japan.

EYEL1NER

Well it's nice to see that we will be getting DLC, but a pack of four weapons? I hope it's free too, because if not, I'll be skipping it.
The only weapon I would care about from those is Ma Chao's and that is a very slight interest.

Golbez

My favorite stage for Chaos mode weapon grinding is Rescue at Yiling. It's a 9 star stage with a ton of jobber generals. I believe it's the only map with Guo Jia as a recommended character if you're having trouble finding it.

Use a character that has a normal attack string that hits all on one side like Zhao Yun, Ma Chao, Lu Bu, Keiji, Hideyoshi, etc. Put them on Red Hard or Matsukaze, and tend to move around while blocking on the horse when you're attacking generals, you can still attack while defending. They'll need to be a pretty high level, and you'll want to have the rare item Pleiades Belt on all three characters to increase the chances of a good drop. Ideally, here's what you'll want on your weapon:

Brilliance (Almighty)
Echo
Typhoon
Slay +10
Wind +10
Courage +10
Cavalier +10
Prosperity +10 (this randomly turns general EXP drops into weapon boxes)

Until you have this kind of weapon ready to go though, you'll want to do the same stage on Hard mode. You'll still get the rare (gold) attributes since it's a 9-star stage. Brilliance+Slay+Wind is the most important thing on there.

Oh, and if you want to pick up items as well until they're all +20, take out Courage and add Providence +10. Your primary grinder will get so many drops that I just made a second weapon for this. You can get a fair amount of gems if you drop down and use the triple attack whenever it's built up, just be careful as you're a lot more vulnerable off of the horse. Even at level 99 with a +20 Chimera Shell, you'll die within a handful of hits.

bodine1231

This is my first Dynasty game,any tips for a beginer to the series? I played past the first mission and I'm at my camp. Also,can you pull the camera back? I find it a little to close to my character.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
This is my first Dynasty game,any tips for a beginer to the series? I played past the first mission and I'm at my camp. Also,can you pull the camera back? I find it a little to close to my character.

There's no way to adjust the camera, no. Unfortunate, but hey.

Beginner tips...hm...

• Conserve your Musou for officers. Don't waste it on crowds.
  • Use your True Triple Musou in as big of a crowd as possible. You'll gain a ton of Gems this way.
  • When using True Triple Musou, don't waste time attacking. All you have to do is touch an enemy and they'll be caught in the explosion at the end of the attack.
  • The most important weapon attributes are Wind, Slay, Might, Brawn, and Reach. They're pretty much essential for everyone. Ranged characters benefit from Blast, but Reach doesn't affect them.
  • Hard and Chaos difficulties are no joke. Especially Chaos. Approach them with caution, especially when using low leveled characters.
  • Speed type characters can jump cancel out of attacks. Be sure to use this often, especially with characters whose charge attacks leave them vulnerable.
  • Don't bother using the "Recommended" characters for each stage. Just use whoever you want.
  • You can press Select at any time to call a horse. Useful when you need to get across the map quickly. However, if you pick up a Speed Up item, you're going to be faster than a horse, so just run.
  • Beware of Himiko. Her Musou can grind you to a pulp in no time flat.
  • It's pretty easy to max out on Growth Points, so don't hoard them, or else you'll lose out on a bunch.

Marvie_3

Banned
This is my first Dynasty game,any tips for a beginer to the series? I played past the first mission and I'm at my camp.
Kill lots of guys. ;)

Really, it's just a matter of mastering the combat system and learning the pros/cons of each character. Find a group of characters you like to use and feel comfortable with and work towards leveling them up and building good weapons for them. Piece of cake.

Also, the 2 "spare" characters you have with you refill their life/musou meters while they're not being used. If you get in trouble with one, switch to one of the others, and the first character will eventually heal.
Also,can you pull the camera back? I find it a little to close to my character.
No.

Xater

I am loving this game so far. Best Musou game yet when it comes to gameplay. The story telling in DW7 is still unrivaled.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
WO3 was the 13th best selling PSN game for the month of March. Pretty damn good considering it only had 11 days to place on the list. Seems like it's selling pretty well. Bet Koei's happy.

TreIII

Wo3 was the 13th best selling PSN game for the month of March. Pretty damn good considering it only had 11 days to place on the list. Seems like it's selling pretty well. Bet Koei's happy.

I'm hoping so. Who knows, this may even make for a nice precedent when it comes to future Western releases, or at least when it comes to dealing with selling on the PS3.

On another note...with Sengoku Musou (Samurai Warriors) 4 probably going to be announced sometime soon, I really wonder how they're going to showcase it, with a "tough act" like this game to follow.

Xater

I'm hoping so. Who knows, this may even make for a nice precedent when it comes to future Western releases, or at least when it comes to dealing with selling on the PS3.

On another note...with Sengoku Musou (Samurai Warriors) 4 probably going to be announced sometime soon, I really wonder how they're going to showcase it, with a "tough act" like this game to follow.

I just want to see SW4 to see a western release on PS3/360. I am easy to please in this regard. Shouldn't there also be a DW7 Empires soon-ish?

I just want to see SW4 to see a western release on PS3/360. I am easy to please in this regard. Shouldn't there also be a DW7 Empires soon-ish?

Although Dynasty Warriors NEXT is pretty much DW7 Empires, I still am expecting a proper one to come out on PS360 sometime this year. I would expect that to be announced before a brand new Samurai game.

snkryo

I never played a dynasty warriors game but this game is grabbing my interest. Would this game be a good first entry?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I never played a dynasty warriors game but this game is grabbing my interest. Would this game be a good first entry?

From a gameplay perspective, sure. Just don't be surprised if no other Warriors game you play (if you decide to play some of the older ones in the future) can live up to this. It's pretty much the best one ever.

Story-wise, there's a thing in the Gallery that summarizes the previous Orochi games, so you'll know what's going on. However you might not be very familiar with all the individual characters, even after reading the summaries. Still, this shouldn't hamper your enjoyment all that much.

I've been jumping between this, DW7XL, and DW NEXT and loving each one. I feel that any of the 3 would be great jumping in points for the franchise. To me they all have different strengths to them and there are characters that are much funner to use in one vs the other.

- For this game, it's strengths are the gigantic roster + team gameplay + all the broken shenanigans the weapon system provides.

- For XL. I'm having a ball with the Legend mode + I really enjoy the freedom the weapon system provides and having both musous for all the characters. Also, I'm glad the Remix feature only requires you to swap the DW7 disc in one time and then afterwards it unlocks up Story and Conquest everytime you play XL. I rented both from GameFly and was able to send back DW7 after one day.

- For NEXT, I love the Empires style battles + the fluidity the R button Chain attack gives to the combo system + I'm happy at the return of the saddle, orb and 5 item system. Also, the Speed Musou attacks are pretty damn cool.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
- For XL. I'm having a ball with the Legend mode + I really enjoy the freedom the weapon system provides and having both musous for all the characters. Also, I'm glad the Remix feature only requires you to swap the DW7 disc in one time and then afterwards it unlocks up Story and Conquest everytime you play XL. I rented both from GameFly and was able to send back DW7 after one day.

This won't last forever, man. It only lasts so long before you have to put DW7 back in.

This won't last forever, man. It only lasts so long before you have to put DW7 back in.

Welp! Do you know how long it lasts? I guess I'll focus on beating the story mode stuff from 7 before it goes away then.

Another thing I forgot to mention for 7XL was that the DLC weapons that didn't make it into Orochi 3 are all great. The Spiked Shield may be my favorite moveset Koei has made out of all the new DW weapons.

Marvie_3

Banned
I had all the rare items but I could NOT seem to get one of the regular items (Lion's Fang). I had to farm a level for items boxes 8 or 9 times before the stupid thing finally showed up. :lol

Top Bottom