• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warriors Orochi 3 |OT| The second-worst game featuring Ryu Hayabusa out this week

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Four more characters S-Ranked (Zhuge Liang, Sakon Shima, Kenshin Uesugi, Keiji Maeda). Making good progress. Platinum's starting to look a bit more do-able. :D

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yeah, tell me about it. I'm so glad I'm done with that step. Have you gotten the last option in the dinner party yet? Speeds things up immensely.

Dont you need every one that it requires to be on par with each other in terms of bonds? You would need a ton of gems right?

Started playing this the other day and I'm really impressed so far. This is my first of these games since DW1 so the amount of improvements is obviously huge to me.

One of the biggest surprises was finding out all the moves the characters get. The first time I leveled a character enough to unlock some more moves I was really surprised. Way more to this game than I originally realised :)

I'm guessing there will be a lot of repeat movesets/animations with so many characters to choose from but I think that's fair enough. I have no idea how I'm going to pick a top 3 though.

Anyway, I'm wondering if I should pick up the previous Orochi games once I've finished this one. Is it worth it to play through the story modes?

Edit: Also, how the hell do you people remember all the character names?

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Is there a list anywhere of who's 4 stars are better than their big star?

I'd like to know this as well. Mostly for the female characters though.

Anyways, just finished Wei and all Samurai characters proficiency. On to Shu and the Other categories.

MrDaravon

By all accounts even when 4-star weapons are better it's only by a few points which is completely and utterly inconsequential, especially since even big star weapons that are a few points weaker usually have good and/or unique elements on them. It's a non-issue, don't worry about it.

I would actually be more interested in seeing a listing of all of the big star weapons and what their elements are, but I haven't seen that anywhere and it seems on some no one's still sure on what they even are yet since it can be hard to notice (some subtly increase Reach for example).

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Ah, I see. Thanks for the info. Guess I'll just go ahead and start using a big star weapon with all the characters I plan on using for Chaos.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Who's everyone's favorite overpowered non-boss type (Orochis, Susano-o) character? Mine are Zhou Tai and Xu Huang.

Xu Huang is definitely up there for me, despite the fact that I haven't used him much yet. Xiahou Yuan is amazing too. And of course Lianshi.

Also Zhou Yu, just by virtue of his amazing EX.

MrDaravon

If the 4-star weapon's base ATK is 45+, it's definitely better their big star weapon.

All 4* weapons max out at +18, all Big * weapons max out at +54. So a 44 ATK 4* maxed out will be 62 ATK. Big * weapons range from 8-12 ATK, so + 54 is 62-66 ATK maxed out. But I don't think any 4* base ATK even gets into the 50s, so it's completely inconsequential, especially when you consider that some of the Big * weapons have awesome inherent abilities when they're maxed out; for example IIRC one of Musashi's weapons get double Reach, and I've seen people say that if you slap an additional Reach +10 on there you're hitting shit so far behind you it's offscreen. When my attack is already around 500 total and I'm like halfway through the game at level 50, I will trade 6 points of ATK for double range, and it appears most (all?) of the characters have at least one Big * weapon that has a unique ability like that.

Also it looks like someone is putting together a Big * weapon listing here that seems like it may be useful.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
All 4* weapons max out at +18, all Big * weapons max out at +54. So a 44 ATK 4* maxed out will be 62 ATK. Big * weapons range from 8-12 ATK, so + 54 is 62-66 ATK maxed out. But I don't think any 4* base ATK even gets into the 50s, so it's completely inconsequential, especially when you consider that some of the Big * weapons have awesome inherent abilities when they're maxed out; for example IIRC one of Musashi's weapons get double Reach, and I've seen people say that if you slap an additional Reach +10 on there you're hitting shit so far behind you it's offscreen. When my attack is already around 500 total and I'm like halfway through the game at level 50, I will trade 6 points of ATK for double range, and it appears most (all?) of the characters have at least one Big * weapon that has a unique ability like that.

Also it looks like someone is putting together a Big * weapon listing here that seems like it may be useful.

See, I had no idea that big star weapons had additional elements on them. That's interesting.

Also, I know that at least Lu Bu and Tadakatsu have 4* weapons that get into the 50's. Lu Bu's is exactly 50 and Tadakatsu's is 51. If Keiji's isn't 50, it's at least close.

MrDaravon

See, I had no idea that big star weapons had additional elements on them. That's interesting.

Also, I know that at least Lu Bu and Tadakatsu have 4* weapons that get into the 50's. Lu Bu's is exactly 50 and Tadakatsu's is 51. If Keiji's isn't 50, it's at least close.

Sure, but even with that I wouldn't stress about it in the slightest, that at the very outside gives you an additional 6-8 points at the very most assuming a character has one of the best 4* and the weakest Big *, and at only a ways into Chapter 3 my 3 main characters all have attacks stats at 400+. So even if there wasn't special elements on the Big * weapons, I'd tell people to just go for whatever looks cool, it's just not really going to matter at the end of the day.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Also, I can't help but laugh at the fact that Lu Bu's 4* is 50 and Tadakatsu's is 51.

Little bit of Japanese favoritism there, Koei? :lol

hitmon

I bit and loving this game. I've died more in this game than any other musuo game on normal. Maybe I'm rusty. I do wish there was a manual to explain things. No ability to adjust brightness is another thing I don't like. Some levels are just too dark.

Overall I am loving the game. Too bad it was not on disc (PS3), I would have loved to show my friends how much fun it is. Probably the best looking musuo game out there.

Is there a way to zoom map while in gameplay like the old musuo games?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I bit and loving this game. I've died more in this game than any other musuo game on normal. Maybe I'm rusty. I do wish there was a manual to explain things. No ability to adjust brightness is another thing I don't like. Some levels are just too dark.

Overall I am loving the game. Too bad it was not on disc (PS3), I would have loved to show my friends how much fun it is. Probably the best looking musuo game out there.

Is there a way to zoom map while in gameplay like the old musuo games?

Press the PS button and look directly under "Quit Game". I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Also, R3 zooms the map.

Yeah..I hate that "bondage" thing as well. I've done all those bonds that require 2 characters. Now moving on to 3 characters. At least in Stage 4, there is a cheaper way of increasing the bonds between characters.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Bond raising is annoying. The bar being broken into 3 segments that you have to team up to get past sucks.

Yeah, but you only need to get it past the first segment for the stage unlocks. And there's no real reason to worry about bonds after all the stages are unlocked. Well, there's that one trophy for raising bonds for one pair of characters to max, but I didn't even have to try to get that one. Just kinda happened naturally.

Marvie_3

Banned
Yeah, but you only need to get it past the first segment for the stage unlocks. And there's no real reason to worry about bonds after all the stages are unlocked. Well, there's that one trophy for raising bonds for one pair of characters to max, but I didn't even have to try to get that one. Just kinda happened naturally.
There is if you have an absurd need to max out everything possible in the game. :lol

And there's no real reason to worry about bonds after all the stages are unlocked.
Pretty much. I have max bond for the 3 that will be my Chaos team when I'm done with S rank grinding, <3 that golden triple attack explosion + free auto support attacks. However, overall the bonds are pretty unimportant once you get all the stages unlocked (which isn't even hard at all if you just wait for chapter 4 and use the 3000 gem option).

There is if you have an absurd need to max out everything possible in the game. :lol

Banquets all day long!

Who's everyone's favorite overpowered non-boss type (Orochis, Susano-o) character? Mine are Zhou Tai and Xu Huang.

Ayane, Zhou Tai and Lian Shi are my staple right now (still in chapter 2). My god Ayane is freaking fast...tearing bitches apart.

Side question guys, so this is my first Orochi game and the whole True Triple attack still confuses me. How do you raise that bar? Is it just based on kills, or do you they only count if it was a kill using a charge/musou attack?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Ayane, Zhou Tai and Lian Shi are my staple right now (still in chapter 2). My god Ayane is freaking fast...tearing bitches apart.

Side question guys, so this is my first Orochi game and the whole True Triple attack still confuses me. How do you raise that bar? Is it just based on kills, or do you they only count if it was a kill using a charge/musou attack?

Just combos, actually. If you use a character with a high combo rate (like Wang Yuanji or Zhurong), you can just mash your normal attack and fill the bar up within seconds.

The triple attack is new to this game. You raise it by doing large combos and it's main use is to get lots of gems / crystals or just slow down time and do big damage to generals.

Characters with wide ranged multihits like Shuten Doji's C1 or all of Zhurong / Wang Yuanji's moveset can fill the meter incredibly fast. Not to mention there is a rare weapon attribute you can get that makes filling it even faster.

DarkCloud

Bao Sanniang...that jumping charge attack that just lifts everyone up in a 360 around her is so damn fun. Also digging Ma Chao a lot. His EX and that musou...

And Ayane has become the new Nene of this game for me. Love her jumping charge to get into a crowd and then her c4 to clear it out.

Just combos, actually. If you use a character with a high combo rate (like Wang Yuanji or Zhurong), you can just mash your normal attack and fill the bar up within seconds.

The triple attack is new to this game. You raise it by doing large combos and it's main use is to get lots of gems / crystals or just slow down time and do big damage to generals.

Characters with wide ranged multihits like Shuten Doji's C1 or all of Zhurong / Wang Yuanji's moveset can fill the meter incredibly fast. Not to mention there is a rare weapon attribute you can get that makes filling it even faster.

Ah ok thanks, for some reason i kept thinking it only occurred when I did Charge attacks. Good to know

EYEL1NER

I didn't see it mentioned yet, but the "Warriors Orocho 3 DLC1 Weapon Pack" is up on XBL at 160 MSP. So we know it won't be free now (though I knew in the back of my mind it would cost money, it was wishful thinking on my part).
I'm debating getting it. I don't want to pay for a tiny pack of weapons for characters I don't use, but I love this game so much.

TreIII

Zhou Tai is definitely my leading man, but as I've said above, Shuten Doji has definitely been another one of my fave characters, followed quickly by the likes of Nezha and Taigong Wang.

Diomedes

Too bad about the DLC, hopefully this pack is the odd one out. I'm not paying $0.50 per weapon, especially for chars that I'm not thrilled about.

Fingers crossed future packs are more reasonably priced.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yeah, not buying that DLC. Sorry, Koei. Doesn't help that they didn't specify if there's anything special about the weapons, or if they're just reskins of the 4* weapons.

Bao Sanniang...that jumping charge attack that just lifts everyone up in a 360 around her is so damn fun. Also digging Ma Chao a lot. His EX and that musou...

And Ayane has become the new Nene of this game for me. Love her jumping charge to get into a crowd and then her c4 to clear it out.

You're good people. Bao Sanniang and Ayane are two of my trio. Ding Feng leads the group, although I had Ma Chao in there for awhile!

DarkCloud

Ding Feng, Meng Huo, and Huang Gai/Dian Wei are my secondary team for sure. The new grappling moves are like the best thing to come to the Warriors series recently.

Diomedes

Another thing while I'm here, not impressed with Player 2 integration. I mainly play warriors couch co-op style and have since DW2. DW7 did a superb job, in conquest at least, of bringing P2 along and making them feel part of the experience; this game feels like a step backwards.

Consider that after every battle, in story or free, P2 has to sign back in and select a team again (from P1's team, not neutral) is a huge pain in the ass. Text boxes during battle are also to blame; battle updates are positioned lower but character speech boxes are notorious for obstructing huge amounts of P2's screen while I often miss what they're saying because they're nowhere near where I am focusing. It feels as if they threw in P2 as an after thought, and considering what some people have said about online, maybe all of the MP was an afterthought. I've tried contacting Koei through various avenues but I feel like they could care less; they already have my money and I certainly can't return it on PSN.

It's unfortunate that these problems are detracting from our enjoyment of an otherwise exceptional game, but when you're reminded every time someone speaks or before another battle, it's difficult to forget.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Another thing while I'm here, not impressed with Player 2 integration. I mainly play warriors couch co-op style and have since DW2. DW7 did a superb job, in conquest at least, of bringing P2 along and making them feel part of the experience; this game feels like a step backwards.

Consider that after every battle, in story or free, P2 has to sign back in and select a team again (from P1's team, not neutral) is a huge pain in the ass. Text boxes during battle are also to blame; battle updates are positioned lower but character speech boxes are notorious for obstructing huge amounts of P2's screen while I often miss what they're saying because they're nowhere near where I am focusing. It feels as if they threw in P2 as an after thought, and considering what some people have said about online, maybe all of the MP was an afterthought. I've tried contacting Koei through various avenues but I feel like they could care less; they already have my money and I certainly can't return it on PSN.

It's unfortunate that these problems are detracting from our enjoyment of an otherwise exceptional game, but when you're reminded every time someone speaks or before another battle, it's difficult to forget.

Don't forget the fact that Player 2 can't obtain new weapons.

Diomedes

From what I've seen, disagree. Which team, (i.e. P1 or P2) picks up the weapon box seems to determine the weapons received, unless you mean new as in higher star weapons, in which case I'm not certain, but fairly sure, and will have to check later.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
From what I've seen, disagree. Which team, (i.e. P1 or P2) picks up the weapon box seems to determine the weapons received, unless you mean new as in higher star weapons, in which case I'm not certain, but fairly sure, and will have to check later.

I'll have to check again as well. I looked on KoeiWarriors and there seem to be dissenting opinions on this. Weird.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

On 360, here's how 2 player Couch-Co-op works:

• Player 2 has to press start before a misson starts. This can be done at any time however, so it's very easy to work with.
  • Player 2 gets to pick his own characters. They can have 3 fully original ones, or copy yours. Does not matter.
  • The weapons and items they pick up are saved and added to your pool. If you and player 2 BOTH play the same character on a team, that character gets DOUBLE THE WEAPONS. (As in everything you pick up, and everything they pick up.)
    -- Note that this take into account your wep options too. Thus, Player 2 has a Fortune Character with +10 Prosperity, they'll pick up amazing wep quality with that character,
    -- while P1 with no fortune or prosperity will pick up junkier stuff.
  • Player 2 can do everything player 1 can. They can initiate events, clear missions, earn proficiency, increase weapon compatability, etc. They can also cause you to fail (such as getting lower than 30% HP when running one of those mission styles.)
  • While playing a character, that character is their own instance. They can equip different items and weapons for the mission. But at stage end, the load-out and items that stay equiped are 1Ps, since they're the only "real" account / save on the system.

I don't know where the rumors that 2ps weapons don't count comes from. But I was plesantly suprised with how well 2P works in this game. The fact they can pick their own characters (Unlike Orochi 2, where they were forced to play a clone of yours) is a great addition.

Played through the entire game over multiple days with Couch co-op too, sooo... it was great :)

Top Bottom