• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warriors Orochi 3 |OT| The second-worst game featuring Ryu Hayabusa out this week

:lol @ 4 wallpapers for $4.

I think it is actually 172 wallpapers in total which is crazy worth it compared to the pricing of DW7/XL's wallpapers of 16 for 2 or 3 dollars.

If only I could figure out how to actually change the damn wallpaper first.

EYEL1NER

:lol @ 4 wallpapers for $4.
It's not 4 wallpapers:
- New wallpapers will be available for all 43 characters from “Samurai 1″, “Samurai 2″ and “Samurai 3″. Select Wallpaper in the Gallery. Wallpaper for any of these characters that have been used in-game will be available to view, or to set as wallpaper. 172 wallpapers in total.
I'd get them if they were available on 360. The wallpapers wouldn't be seen for long though, since everything loads up quick with the game installed. But I'd be down for new stuff to stare at.

Edit: Argh, beaten! I think it might be three packs of 43 wallpapers, a pack for each SW game. But who knows, with how that is worded...

I believe all the wallpapers come from the SW wallpapers in Orochi Z. At least that's what the 3 packs for the Japanese version use. It blows though that Japan got the SW and DW 4 costumes + those reused wallpapers for free while we are getting charged for them. However, at least the Stage+BGM+Weapons bundle packs are basically the same price.

I can see myself buying all of those bundle packs + the SW and DW4 outfit packs and nothing else. Should come out to about $23-25.

Maybe I'll end up getting that SW cast dressed up as DW characters pack as well if it's good.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Any stage involving Dong Zhuo, in picture form:

NJUyU.jpg

DW7, the 5 Collab characters and SW3 characters have 2 costumes. The others get their current costumes + unlockable costumes from older games as well.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
God, Okuni is just the worst character. Got her S-Ranked, and I don't think there's enough money in the world to get me to ever use her again. She's just SO terrible. Her R1 is the only decent move she has.

Marvie_3

Banned
God, Okuni is just the worst character. Got her S-Ranked, and I don't think there's enough money in the world to get me to ever use her again. She's just SO terrible. Her R1 is the only decent move she has.
I'll have to use her long enough to max out her weapon compatibility. :(

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Yeah, her style is one of the worst in the games imo. Also, I'm maxing out Gyuki's proficiency right now. Sooooooooo slow. I suggest that anyone who hasn't done so already to put agility on his weapon. Wish I did right now =/.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yeah, her style is one of the worst in the games imo. Also, I'm maxing out Gyuki's proficiency right now. Sooooooooo slow. I suggest that anyone who hasn't done so already to put agility on his weapon. Wish I did right now =/.

Easy way to max Gyuki's Prof: Just spam his air charge attack. Takes out entire crowds at a time, and is WAY faster to do than his normal melee moves.

Kincaido

Easy way to max Gyuki's Prof: Just spam his air charge attack. Takes out entire crowds at a time, and is WAY faster to do than his normal melee moves.

Oh wow, why didn't I think of that? Lol. Thanks for the advice. It definitely is going way faster now.

Kincaido

I use the stage where you rescue Ina called Rescue at Yiling. You can easily get 2500-3000 kills on here. Make sure to bring Dodomeki since his skill raises proficiency.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Oh wow, why didn't I think of that? Lol. Thanks for the advice. It definitely is going way faster now.

Glad I could help!

---

Up to 78 characters S-ranked now. 54 to go. Still got a few more I'm not really looking forward to having to use. Like most of the mystics save for Fu Xi and Nu Wa. Just not really a fan of any of them.

Also Achilles, Wei Yan (just because I'll have to hear his damn voice), and Zhang Jiao. Oh and Yuan Shao. Who the hell ever actually uses Yuan Shao? I mean, if he had his DW5 costume unlocked from the start, it'd be at least a little more tolerable. I guess I just dislike the rapier moveset in general. Sima Shi is the only halfway decent rapier user.

What stage is everyone using to grind prof?

Finished the game on normal and didn't see anything designed for farming like Wu 4 in WO2.

Rescue at Yiling. It's a 9-star, so it's pretty tough for Lv. 1 characters, but you can S-Rank two characters in one run with a maxed out Dodomeki on your team and everyone wearing Mystic Braces. And if I can beat it with No and Liu Shan at Lv. 1, you can beat it with anyone. :lol

EDIT: Dammit Kincaido. :lol

Kincaido

Too slow lol. Yeah the rapier and the twin blades are my least favorite weapons. So glad I got them over with and don't have to touch them again.

Cool, thanks. Going through Chaos now. Pretty easy with my uber Mushashi and Xiahou Dun.

Difficulty doesn't matter with prof grinding right? I know it didn't in past games.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Oh? It's not number of troops or enemy officers you defeat?

What raises weapon compatibility?

Well, I mean, yeah, troops and officers defeated obviously matters too, but 2,000 KOs on a 9-star stage is going to get you a lot more Prof. than 2,000 KOs on a 1-star stage.

Weapon compatibility is raised in the same manner as Prof., just a lot slower.

Marvie_3

Banned
Also Achilles, Wei Yan (just because I'll have to hear his damn voice), and Zhang Jiao. Oh and Yuan Shao. Who the hell ever actually uses Yuan Shao? I mean, if he had his DW5 costume unlocked from the start, it'd be at least a little more tolerable. I guess I just dislike the rapier moveset in general. Sima Shi is the only halfway decent rapier user.

YOU.....NO.....LIKE.......WEI.....YAN.......VOICE????

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
YOU.....NO.....LIKE.......WEI.....YAN.......VOICE????

I thought it'd be at least a little more tolerable in Japanese.

Nope. If anything it's worse.

I see, thanks.

Don't take my word on the star rating thing, actually. And I only say this because I've been mistaken so many times in the past that I'm starting to doubt everything I say about the game. :lol But I'm pretty positive that star rating does affect Prof. gain. If someone could confirm/deny, that'd be great. I'd test it myself right now, but I'm just about to go to bed. If nobody's tested it by the time I get up, I probably will.

EDIT: Oh the hell with it. I can stay up a bit longer. :lol

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Character: Nagamasa. Dodomeki on team, Mystic's Brace +17 equipped. Possibly a few points of Industry on weapon, didn't check. :lol

1* - ~240 KOs (3 officers) to go from G to F

9* - ~120 KOs (1 officer) to go from G to F

Okay, star rating DOES affect proficiency gain, confirmed.

Xiao Qiao is the worst, I cringe so hard every time she speaks.

HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII~ GANBAREMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASU~

Marvie_3

Banned
Character: Nagamasa. Dodomeki on team, Mystic's Brace +17 equipped. Possibly a few points of Industry on weapon, didn't check. :lol

1* - ~240 KOs (3 officers) to go from G to F

9* - ~120 KOs (1 officer) to go from G to F

Okay, star rating DOES affect proficiency gain, confirmed.
Good to know

Kincaido

I've finally finished my proficiency grinding! Took me 59 visits to the Ina stage. Goodbye Dodomeki. You have served your purpose. I'm finished for the day. Tomorrow I'll start getting all the remaining items I need. Then it's off to Chaos mode.

I can finally return to Xingcai!!

I've finally finished my proficiency grinding! Took me 59 visits to the Ina stage. Goodbye Dodomeki. You have served your purpose. I'm finished for the day. Tomorrow I'll start getting all the remaining items I need. Then it's off to Chaos mode.

I can finally return to Xingcai!!

Have you already gotten the 100 uses by a single officer trophy? I figure Dodomeki is perfect for that since I've used him so much in proficiency grinding that I can just do the rest with him before chucking him off the team.

___

They are actually making some cool looking original wallpapers for this game, besides just the returning ones from WOZ. I just saw these 2 pictures for ones coming out in Japan:

Some info on the SW wearing DW outfits DLC I mentioned before. I just saw a small list of some of the outfits:
Kai - Wang Yuanji
Gracia - Bao Sanniang
Keiji - Lu Bu
Masamune - Xiahou Dun
Mitsuhide - Zhou Yu

Kincaido

Have you already gotten the 100 uses by a single officer trophy? I figure Dodomeki is perfect for that since I've used him so much in proficiency grinding that I can just do the rest with him before chucking him off the team.

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten it yet. Think I only used him 60 times by the time I was finished. That's one of the last ones I plan to get. I plan to use one of the chapter 3 stages where you have to save Da Ji since you can complete it in less than five minutes.

Also, I'm really liking that second wallpaper. The new costumes sound interesting.

The
Susano'o's Last Stand
is the fastest stage to complete for me. I can do so in 1-2 minutes since you only need to beat 1 gate guard and the boss. I've used that stage whenever I needed to do a stage for the bonds unlocking and if I wanted to refresh the weapon inventory (works well since it's a 10 star stage and the shop inventory is based on the star ranking of the last stage you beat).

About the Wallpapers: I wish there was an option to save them to your HD / USB drive as full resolution .png files. I couldn't care less about buying wallpapers for the short loading screens in this game, but there have been many I've liked over the years from their various games that I've wanted to use on my PC and I would buy them in game if I could do that with them.

Kincaido

The
Susano'o's Last Stand
is the fastest stage to complete for me. I can do so in 1-2 minutes since you only need to beat 1 gate guard and the boss. I've used that stage whenever I needed to do a stage for the bonds unlocking and if I wanted to refresh the weapon inventory (works well since it's a 10 star stage and the shop inventory is based on the star ranking of the last stage you beat).

About the Wallpapers: I wish there was an option to save them to your HD / USB drive as full resolution .png files. I couldn't care less about buying wallpapers for the short loading screens in this game, but there have been many I've liked over the years from their various games that I've wanted to use on my PC and I would buy them in game if I could do that with them.

Wow I completely forgot about that stage since I used the one I mentioned to raise most of my bonds. I remember that stage being really short too. Might steal your idea lol. I wish they had the option to be saved too. I really wouldn't mind buying them if I could use them away from the game, especially if all the new wallpapers are going to be like the ones you posted.

Pics showing Kai and Gracia's DLC outfits just popped up (Scans I think so I won't link them). I love how they look. Gracia is basically a purple version of Bao's outfit while Kai is a Red, White and Gold version of Yuanji's.

Ok so I think I'm finally nearing the end of the game and have started maxing out Big star weapons. What are good weapon traits I should shoot for? Is it true that Reach doesn't affect ranged characters like Lian Shi, Wang Yuanji, Xiahou Yuan? If so, I've wasted alot of gems...

The one's I usually go for are Wind, Reach, Brawn, Slay, Blast/Bolt, Ice, Courage and Harmony.

Does Osmosis and Absorption work? I can never tell

EYEL1NER

After unlocking everyone, I figured I would give the game a small break for a couple days before grinding profiency. I pulled DW Strikeforce out of my backlog and figured I would put some time into it. I got it when Gundam 3 came out, so it never had a chance.
Anyway, I've been playing the game for a couple hours now and have been hating the combat, absolutely despising it. Until just now when I randomly clicked the right stick and found out you can lock on to enemies....
I feel so dumb now. It will certainly make those flying bastard generals a lot easier.

I feel dumb because I usually read a game's manual when I get it. I must have assumed I read it a while ago. While I feel dumb, I do not feel as dumb as when I was playing Fallout 3 on 360. I went through 30 hours or so of having to adjust the brightness of my TV whenever I was in any dungeons because they were so dark. It was after all that time that I noticed a tip on the loading screen that said "Hold B to turn on your Pip-Boy's flashlight."

So dumb.....

That's pretty crazy Eyeliner. I need to go back to Strikeforce and finish it myself sometime (maybe I can find it used for cheap by now). I really loved the game when I played it, the bow moveset in that was so deliciously broken.

Ok so I think I'm finally nearing the end of the game and have started maxing out Big star weapons. What are good weapon traits I should shoot for? Is it true that Reach doesn't affect ranged characters like Lian Shi, Wang Yuanji, Xiahou Yuan? If so, I've wasted alot of gems...

The one's I usually go for are Wind, Reach, Brawn, Slay, Blast/Bolt, Ice, Courage and Harmony.

Does Osmosis and Absorption work? I can never tell

Brilliance (rare skill) + Wind + Slay = Win button. Everything else is just a nice bonus for faster or safer killing.

Anyways, for weapons without thinking about rare skills my go to elements are:
Wind, Slay, Courage, Might, Brawn, Flak.

- Blast is a must if the character uses projectiles or their BnB is a shockwave type attack.
- Agility is useful if the character is slow or their BnB moves are latter charges.
- Reach is probably very very useful, but I haven't really tried it on anyone yet. Tip: This is useless on ranged weapons.
- Bolt is something I love having, but it doesn't feel as useful in this as it did in 2. Before it was perfect because it would cause crumple state on all enemies around you so you could use heavy knockback moves without having to chase down the enemies afterwards. Unless I'm mistaken it seems to just stun now instead of induce crumple.
- Ice is nice, as long as it's not on a tech character (or any character who's moveset revolves around juggles).
- Flame I'm unsure of how useful this is or isn't.
- Absorption is something I never use (I just tag out) but I could see being extremely helpful in Chaos mode.
- Osmosis is another I don't use much, but it is nice for characters with spamable R1 attacks (best when combined with that R1 enhancing element) or Musou attacks (again, best when combined with the Musou enhancing element). This used to be a staple of mine in the old games on every Tech character due to their musou gauge using enhanced charges, but of course this is no longer the case.

I wish there was a list showing the exact stats for how much damage the various elements do when maxed (Ex: Brawn 10 increases normal attacks by #%, Bolt 10 stuns and does #% damage based on their max health, Slay 10 does #% damage based on their max health, etc... ). That would make debating one vs the other much more efficient.

Sidenote: Does anyone know if Blast enhances all of Dian Wei's moveset once you activate his EX and have explosions with every attack? I'd imagine it should but I'm not 100%

That's pretty crazy Eyeliner. I need to go back to Strikeforce and finish it myself sometime (maybe I can find it used for cheap by now). I really loved the game when I played it, the bow moveset in that was so deliciously broken.

Brilliance (rare skill) + Wind + Slay = Win button. Everything else is just a nice bonus for faster or safer killing.

Anyways, for weapons without thinking about rare skills my go to elements are:
Wind, Slay, Courage, Might, Brawn, Flak.

- Blast is a must if the character uses projectiles or their BnB is a shockwave type attack.
- Agility is useful if the character is slow or their BnB moves are latter charges.
- Reach is probably very very useful, but I haven't really tried it on anyone yet. Tip: This is useless on ranged weapons.
- Bolt is something I love having, but it doesn't feel as useful in this as it did in 2. Before it was perfect because it would cause crumple state on all enemies around you so you could use heavy knockback moves without having to chase down the enemies afterwards. Unless I'm mistaken it seems to just stun now instead of induce crumple.
- Ice is nice, as long as it's not on a tech character (or any character who's moveset revolves around juggles).
- Flame I'm unsure of how useful this is or isn't.
- Absorption is something I never use (I just tag out) but I could see being extremely helpful in Chaos mode.
- Osmosis is another I don't use much, but it is nice for characters with spamable R1 attacks (best when combined with that R1 enhancing element) or Musou attacks (again, best when combined with the Musou enhancing element). This used to be a staple of mine in the old games on every Tech character due to their musou gauge using enhanced charges, but of course this is no longer the case.

I wish there was a list showing the exact stats for how much damage the various elements do when maxed (Ex: Brawn 10 increases normal attacks by #%, Bolt 10 stuns and does #% damage based on their max health, Slay 10 does #% damage based on their max health, etc... ). That would make debating one vs the other much more efficient.

Sidenote: Does anyone know if Blast enhances all of Dian Wei's moveset once you activate his EX and have explosions with every attack? I'd imagine it should but I'm not 100%

Thanks I'll have to try this. For leveling Proficiencies on low level characters, does difficulty matter or can I just do Rescue at Yiling on Easy?

I just completed all the levels. One thing I'm not sure about the story line......Help me out here...

There is a normal ending...which is supposedly the first ending you get. This is the one where the Mystics combine their powers and supposedly bring all the warriors back to their own timeline.

Then there is a "bad ending", the second ending you get. The world doesn't get destroyed, but the mystics are no where to be found. All the warriors get stuck in the Orochi world. How did this happen? How did they get to this timeline? Why doesn't the world fall apart here?

Then there is a "good ending", the final ending you get. Susano'o comes out at the end and helps you. I kinda forgotten what happens here. But there basically isn't really a linkage on how you get to each of these ending after you completed the normal ending, is there? If there is, I probably missed it.

razgriz417: Only the star rating matters. You can play on Easy or on Chaos and it won't change how much proficiency or weapon compatibility you get. I just do 9 or 10 star stages on Easy when I grind these out. Rescue at Yiling is often a go to stage for me to play.

Boogalogist: What you listed was mixed up.
- The normal ending is the one you get for beating Into the Fire - the lower of the two stages that you fight the 8 Orochis in. Orochi X is never created in this one.
In the movie gallery it is called Peace in a Fractured World. This just has Zhao, Chao, and Hanbei defeat Orochi and walk away.

- The good ending is the one you get for beating The Demise of Orochi X.
In the movie gallery it is called New World Order. This has all of the characters come together and the leaders talk about establishing an era of peace so they can all live together in the world without fighting and causing it to destroy itself. Then it ends with Kai inviting Kaguya to come back and see what a great world they make in the future.

- The true ending is the one you listed as the normal ending. It comes from beating the top right stage on the map - World's End.
In the movie gallery it is called The Longest Dream. This is the only one where the world is destroyed due to Orochi X being defeated and the Mystics sending all the characters back to their own times.

If I remember correctly, I think the full destruction of the world due to the Hydra / Orochi X being beaten isn't brought up until the stages leading to the true ending. If so, then the in the other endings it just is supposed to not be a factor I suppose. Although, those aren't the canon endings (hence the true designation in the other one) so it doesn't really matter much anyways.

It is impossible to miss any of the endings when you play (obviously), but the order you get them in can change. I'm not 100% on this, but I think it depends on when you beat The Slaying of the Hydra level -
If you had just one Yashi'ori you go to the normal ending, if you did enough stages to have more than one Yashi'ori it goes to the good ending, if you already unlocked every single character then it goes straight to the true ending.
When I beat the game I got the good ending first, then the normal, then the true. My roommate got the true ending, then the good, then the normal.

Yeah...i basically finished every other level (character unlock first) before even starting on slaying of the Hydra. Explains why I got everything mixed up.

I figured as much. Although, imo, they should have made it go in order from Normal to Good to True. Going in any other order gets a little confusing + it's anticlimactic to earn the lesser endings after having seen the more fleshed out ones.

Started Chaos mode. I was using Lian Shi in Normal, and then I realized that I really like Ryu Hayabusa - I've found Lian Shi to be great for sniping, but Hayabusa's a lot better for crowd control.

Absorption is really nice in Chaos Mode. For a quick heal, I run into a group of enemies, C1 with Ryu for his air juggle, and then follow with his jump charge on the way down. Heals a nice portion.

I haven't found Osmosis to be all that useful (except for Lian Shi, because of her healing special).

I've made Brilliance/Echo weapons for Lian Shi and Ryu - I want to make the same for Ayane and Xu Huang. Ryu, Ayane and Xu Huang might end up being my go to team for Chaos.

I found some pictures of a few other original wallpapers (aka non-WOZ reissues) they released. As I said before, they look pretty cool but I wouldn't buy them. I'd much rather get them to use as computer / XMB wallpapers.

Top Bottom