• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WB Again Blames Suicide Squad For 41% Revenue Drop Year-on-Year

Draugoth

Gold Member
  • Warner Bros’ gaming revenue nosedived by 41% this quarter year-on-year.
  • This was primarily due to Suicide Squad performing poorly compared to Hogwarts Legacy’s solid results last quarter.
  • Following recent losses, the publisher may sell off part of its gaming division to recoup losses.
After holding it responsible for $200 million in losses last quarter, the publisher has once again used Suicide Squad as the main reason behind its lower-than-expected gaming revenue.

Why it matters:
Suicide Squad was in the works for multiple years. It was also created by the same team that pioneered the Batman Arkham series, leading to high expectations from both the fans and Warner Bros.

Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League

Warner Bros Discovery Quarterly Earnings Slide via Twitter

According to Warner Bros, gaming revenue declined 41% year-on-year during the last quarter.

Source

Last edited:

Saber

To the shocking surprise of absolute no one.

Like really, if the difference between Hogwarts and Suicide Trash and the cringe marketing video with the soy devs weren't enought for them to rethink their choices then its probably for the best that everything falls apart.

For all purposes, Rockystead is dead and has being for a long time now. The current company its just using the name and the fame of its antecessors. Nothing of value will be lost getting rid of people more worried about messages than actual game. Hope the "Madam" Freeze was worth the time and money.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

stn

No thanks, WB. Game looked like shit from day one. All they had to do was make a Suicide Squad game that was strictly single-player and not based on GAAS. They could have made it Arkham Knight but with the ability to swap characters on the fly. That would have been exciting and I would have pre-ordered. Not this GAAS shit though with some of the worst story and design in Rocksteady's history.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

No thanks, WB. Game looked like shit from day one. All they had to do was make a Suicide Squad game that was strictly single-player and not based on GAAS. They could have made it Arkham Knight but with the ability to swap characters on the fly. That would have been exciting and I would have pre-ordered. Not this GAAS shit though with some of the worst story and design in Rocksteady's history.
That wouldn't have saved the shite writing and complete disrespect towards it's lore and characters like Poison Ivy, et al.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Meanwhile at Atlus...
dhcdjfi-7a2ba0f0-3ee9-424f-8823-70399e78f3fd.gif
Sold! Dayum son.

Anyway, I'm glad this game shat the bed.

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
Imagine complaining about your gaming division/money while sitting on a last gen version of Arkham Knight and the Batman i.p. It shows the complete incompetence of the decision makers and quite frankly they are getting what they deserve.

MiguelItUp

The game was not good. With all of the money and time they put into it, the game NEEDED to be amazing. When they first showed it, everyone know how it was gonna pan out. I don't know what they were thinking.

I really hope NRS and Monolith can be saved.

LordCBH

Hey WB, maybe don’t make shitty games nobody asked for? Y’all made bank on Hogwarts last year because y’all focused on making a solid game and it’s no bullshit. Just do that.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Wow. No hiding by WB. Suicide Squad called out into the cold for being a disappointing driver of weaker sales compared to Hogwarts.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

It takes years to make a game. What I really want to know, is how is it in teams of upwards of 100+ people and whatnot... how is it that no one says... hey, this game sucks, its a bad idea, no one wants it.

How???????

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It takes years to make a game. What I really want to know, is how is it in teams of upwards of 100+ people and whatnot... how is it that no one says... hey, this game sucks, its a bad idea, no one wants it.

How???????
Because most studios focus the majority of their time and money on the current game, and need to finish it, release it and make some money back.

And unless the company has big coffers to say cancel it and start over making a new game or transition to the next game based on napkin ideas, they got no choice but to push it through for sales, then add some patches and call it a day after a year of sales and servers. Rinse and repeat.

Last edited:

DryvBy

Quit hiring the usual suspects for game devs and hire talented people that enjoy fun. Maybe start and interview with how said person feels about Communism? Are all games political? Just stuff like that and if they answer positively on either or more, just stop the interview and sue them for wasting your time.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

How???????
Because when management is 100% all in on DEI, workers keep their mouth shut about the content of the game. Saying something like "this is a bad idea, no one wants it" will trigger follow-up questions like "Why do you think people wouldn't want a gay female Mr. Freeze? Are you some sort of bigot?" And then you get fired.

My guess is that SEVERAL people probably voiced this concern and were subsequently let go. Management gets the game they want, regardless of what anyone actually working on the game thinks.

Esca

No surprise. Between suicide squad and the Gotham knights they took a pounding. If it wasn't for Hogwarts legacy they'd be really gimped

Ozzie666

I'm not sure what they expected, the writing was on the wall for years and continued to become more clear. Whomever approved this or covinced the higher-ups this was a good idea, needs to be fired.
They obviously didn't or refused to read the room.

StereoVsn

They are getting what they deserved.

Hell, Hogwarts was actually quite a progressive game. However the studio did a good job with the material, produced a solid title and it was clearly something they enjoyed and wanted to make, especially the castle.

And now compare to Suicide Squad. Why in the world did they think it was a good idea after the initial reception. Not to mention they should have known better during development. WB wrote off bunch of taxes by not publishing movies. They should have pulled the game before release.

Fake

Gold Member

How???????

You enter inside a circus, what do you expect to encounter?

Meetings are meanless when everyone agree with everyone. Progressive folks do this A LOT those days. Accountability zero.

Gambit2483

You enter inside a circus, what do you expect to encounter?

Meetings are meanless when everyone agree with everyone. Progressive folks do this A LOT those days. Accountability zero.
It's become a DEI echo chamber where (seemingly) even the loss of millions of dollars and thousands of jobs can't seem to burst their bubble.

Apparently the ones who don't agree are just too afraid to speak up, even if it eventually costs them their job!

hinch7

10B loss, Jesus they're broke.
Go woke, go broke. Which goes for their comics and films as well. Cater to your audience you numskulls. Disney is finally seeing the light after Deadpool + Wolverine at the box office. I don't see why WB can't do the same.

They also need to stop with the endless live service games. Its obviously not working out for them. The whole market is saturated with GaaS and companies tripping over their feet trying to make the next Fornite. And failing, mostly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom