• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Yea but the punishment that guy took was crazy. Teddy's bullets had no effect which made me think they are human, but if that was the case I thought a bigger deal would have been made after they killed it.

Yeah I think he had some heavy leather on, like a bullet proof vest.
Or he could be programmed like Bernard where other hosts see him as a human.

I still don't get what you mean by William foiling Arnold's plan. He stopped Dolores from killing herself, recreating what she may have done in the past. How does stopping her from killing herself with nobody but william there change anything? She goes there and relives her memories. Agree with all other points
He stopped her from going into the church.

Am I imagining things or was the construction site for the new storyline done around the church? (so there was some machinery and excavation rather than the untouched steeple)

sangreal

He stopped her from going into the church.

but there is no church in the william timeline -- or the current one. Just the hollowed out steeple?

Am I imagining things or was the construction site for the new storyline done around the church?

I don't know about the construction but we see Ford and host Robert (the kid) looking at it and Ford orders him never to go back there

Dany

Banned
I always anticipate an episode is going to provide massive revelations. But they are still just giving small and boring bread crumbs.

Burt

Didn't MiB say his wife's name was Emily?

Yeah, I think so, but without going back to the episode:

I don't think that they would've punned hard like that if that wasn't what it was.

I'm assuming after William gets "born again" in the park, he leaves Logan and his entire family in the dust. The timing of 30 years is tight, but maybe he marries up for business reasons. Maybe it's just spite. Maybe he was rounding.

KorrZ

Maeve's story line continues to be the worst, most contrived part of the whole show. I'm holding out hope that there is something hidden that explains it all but I sadly suspect it's just going to come down to the lazy writing it seems like.

Man, I really like so much about this show but dammit, the 2 butchers and everything they're doing with Maeve is so incredibly irritating and stupid. I just pray there is some twist with them and their motivations otherwise everything they're doing just feels totally pointless and without any coherent motivation. You think of Nedry in Jurassic Park basically going rogue and doing stupid stuff but he had very clear cut motivations for doing what he was doing. The Asian guy in Westworld? I dunno, he likes robots? It doesn't help that I feel like those 2 guys aren't great actors especially in light of everyone else in just about every other plotline on the show. And yet, it seems like the actions of the Asian guy are pretty critical to Maeve's robot uprising.

I just really have no clue what the Asian butcher is thinking doing what he is doing. What is his end game? Continue his employment at the park after he lets Maeve run amok slashing throats? I could maybe see him tinkering with her at the start but why does he keep going along with her plans? I just don't see what the possible payoff for him his in any way that is remotely positive at this point, especially seeing how Maeve has revealed herself to slash you in the throat with no remorse.

And that's not even getting around to how bizarre it is that these low level guys can seemingly get away with anything in the park with no one noticing. It's just that one plotline that really serves as a blemish to what is otherwise a pretty interesting show.

Hm. The MiB did say his wife's name is Emily.
And the woman that William is supposed to marry is named Juliet.

Whelp.
Maybe William goes on to marry someone else...

KorrZ

Man, I really like so much about this show but dammit, the 2 butchers and everything they're doing with Maeve is so incredibly irritating and stupid. I just pray there is some twist with them and their motivations otherwise everything they're doing just feels totally pointless and without any coherent motivation. You think of Nedry in Jurassic Park basically going rogue and doing stupid stuff but he had very clear cut motivations for doing what he was doing. The Asian guy in Westworld? I dunno, he likes robots? It doesn't help that I feel like those 2 guys aren't great actors especially in light of everyone else in just about every other plotline on the show. And yet, it seems like the actions of the Asian guy are pretty critical to Maeve's robot uprising.

I just really have no clue what the Asian butcher is thinking doing what he is doing. What is his end game? Continue his employment at the park after he lets Maeve run amok slashing throats? I could maybe see him tinkering with her at the start but why does he keep going along with her plans? I just don't see what the possible payoff for him his in any way that is remotely positive at this point, especially seeing how Maeve has revealed herself to slash you in the throat with no remorse.

And that's not even getting around to how bizarre it is that these low level guys can seemingly get away with anything in the park with no one noticing. It's just that one plotline that really serves as a blemish to what is otherwise a pretty interesting show.

Couldn't have said it better myself. It pulls me right out of the show every time one of these laughable scenes comes on.

Brakke

Banned
I keep thinking this show is stop fucking around and get to it. But nope. Another Westworld-ass episode.

Yea but the punishment that guy took was crazy. Teddy's bullets had no effect which made me think they are human, but if that was the case I thought a bigger deal would have been made after they killed it.

Probably not human. There were drawings of that dude or a similar horned-helmet dude up in the background this very episode. I think in one of the Pissboy scenes.

I'm thinking that all of the butchers and most of the techs who work closely with the hosts are also hosts. No one notices them taking Maeve around because all of the other people are hosts who are only seeing what they are supposed to see.

That's my guess anyway.

Hm. The MiB did say his wife's name is Emily.
And the woman that William is supposed to marry is named Juliet.

Whelp.
Maybe William goes on to marry someone else...

I thought I heard Emily. When he said it though, was he referring to his wife or his daughter? Because he was telling the story of what his daughter told him after his wife died.

but there is no church in the william timeline -- or the current one. Just the hollowed out steeple?

I don't know about the construction but we see Ford and host Robert (the kid) looking at it and Ford orders him never to go back there

that's what I mean, the hollowed out steeple. That is just my guess because I don't know why else they would stare at it for so long unless it was important.

And it looked like it was still there where Ford is doing his new timeline.

FTF

Yeah, unfortunately the worst part of the show...hopefully a twist like you said but who knows :/

Speevy

Banned
It already doesn't make sense that Maeve keeps killing herself and waking up fully conscious with full memories of everything.

The butchers said that someone with more privileges than them had been changing her stats, so there has to be more to it.

It seems unlikely that two guys who hold no personal interest in this particular host would risk their jobs to grab her every time.

It also seems unlikely that the overseers of the park who seem to discover when a host pours milk on other "dead" hosts as revenge wouldn't notice Maeve's erratic behavior.

I believe the purpose of her storyline is a window into the idea that hosts could infiltrate the world, and a person could be fooled into helping them.

It is really far-fetched though, but is there anything on this show that isn't?

Brakke

Banned
Even if the butchers turn out to be hosts, everything about them will still have sucked. You will still have spent weeks and weeks being frustrated and disappointed watching them. Such a twist will not pay off that frustration.

Even if the butchers turn out to be hosts, everything about them will still have sucked. You will still have spent weeks and weeks being frustrated and disappointed watching them. Such a twist will not pay off that frustration.
I don't mind that arc at all.

Speevy

Banned
Maybe the Asian guy just thinks a robot uprising would be cool.

"Like...why not?"

It makes as much sense as any other explanation.

jett

D-Member
This show is losing steam with the quickness.

The Maeve business is absolutely stupid and makes no sense on any level whatsover.
William/Dolores shit has gotten boring as fuck.
What the fuck is the MIB even talking about. Who talks like this. That was some D-tier Lost exposition.

royalan

Also, pretty sure at this point that "the person who dies in the park" referenced in the show is not Arnold (I'm still convinced Arnold never existed). It's Logan. Only it's not a host who kills him, it's William (after William kills Dolores. Calling it now).

William kills Logan. A host gets blamed. William goes on to lead Delos.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
This show is losing steam with the quickness.

The Maeve business is absolutely stupid and makes no sense on any level whatsover.
William/Dolores shit has gotten boring as fuck.
What the fuck is the MIB even talking about. Who talks like this. That was some D-tier Lost exposition.
What I think in a nutshell.

Ferrio

Banned
So did the show confirm the two butchers were hosts? I mean they use the tool for repairing hosts on the guy and it works. Them both realizing they're hosts = start of her army.

Speevy

Banned
So did the show confirm the two butchers were hosts? I mean they use the tool for repairing hosts on the guy and it works. Them both realizing they're hosts = start of her army.

Unless they've figured out how to stop someone from dying from a slit throat by welding it shot.

KarmaCow

So did the show confirm the two butchers were hosts? I mean they use the tool for repairing hosts on the guy and it works.

I think it was more like using a future blowtorch to cauterize a wound. If they were hosts, the impact of a host almost killing a human is gone and Maeve could have just jedi mind tricked them instead.

Brakke

Banned
Nah. The hosts are basically human flesh. Except, you know, when the show doesn't want to treat them that way.

Also except some of them are partially metal. Which has... implications? I dunno add that to the ball of yarn that is this show's dropped threads.

Nah. The hosts are basically human flesh. Except, you know, when the show doesn't want to treat them that way.

Also except some of them are partially metal. Which has... implications? I dunno add that to the ball of yarn that is this show's dropped threads.
What do you mean by partially metal? Are you talking about the early hosts like the boy?

KingKong

they're both seriously awful actors and its just the same scene every time: she says something, one guy says no way, the other guy doesn't say anything, and then it happens

jett

D-Member
Maeve's story line continues to be the worst, most contrived part of the whole show. I'm holding out hope that there is something hidden that explains it all but I sadly suspect it's just going to come down to the lazy writing it seems like.

There's no explaining away Maeve. No Defense Force in the world is strong enough to put up a fight.

It's absolute shitcakes.

jett

D-Member

Unless they've figured out how to stop someone from dying from a slit throat by welding it shot.

It's not a welder. These aren't metal machines. They're synthetic humans.

Top Bottom