• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Brakke

Banned
The techno-nonsense is approaching fever pitch here. Wtf was the pretty board lady even talking about when she told Pissboy to upload data into Dolores's pop's brain?

What do you mean by partially metal? Are you talking about the early hosts like the boy?

Yeah. The "first generation" or whatever. That whole thing was apparently just there so we could see a face open up because that would be Cool.

jett

D-Member
What a coincidence that they randomly plucked out Dolores's daddy. That wasn't contrived at all. Nope.

Yeah. The "first generation" or whatever. That whole thing was apparently just there so we could see a face open up because that would be Cool.

AI did it better anyway, 15 years ago. I've seen a few Spielbergo movies in my time, Mr Nolan's brother, and you sir are no Spielbergo.

i dont find the butcher plot to be that bad tbh. its def the weakest plot line tho
Also the asian guy always seemed sympathetic towards the hosts, doesn't make him any less stupid but i can see his motivation.

sjboi

I don't mind that arc at all.

Yeah I think it's the best arc in the show! I can easily understand why the asian guy is helping Maeve... she's pretty bad-ass and I might help her too in that situation. I'll freely admit I don't understand what leverage she has over the white dude, but there's a lot about this show I don't understand, so whatever. And at least her storyline moves quickly! Some of the other arcs are starting to seriously drag.

Ferrio

Banned
It's not a welder. These aren't metal machines. They're synthetic humans.

Right, but I'm curious if the tool works only on hosts or applies to any tissue. The way she was eyeing him as he was dying was odd, like she was realizing he was a host? Idk.

Speevy

Banned
There's no explaining away Maeve. No Defense Force in the world is strong enough to put up a fight.

It's absolute shitcakes.

Maeve is part of an elaborate training simulation for new employees on the dangers of letting self-aware robots wander the facilities.

At the end of the presentation, it pais out to a Q and A session.

jett

D-Member
Right, but I'm curious if the tool works only on hosts or applies to any tissue. The way she was eyeing him as he was dying was odd, like she was realizing he was a host? Idk.

It looked to me like she was curious about what she had just done, also probably analyzing the situation since she quickly decided he may yet be useful.

So do we have three timelines now or is it safe to bury the MiB == William theory? It's clear Dolores is having the flashbacks in the Williams timeline.

Also, that dialogue between Ford and Bernard at the end (something like "better erase your memories so that you don't end up remembering like the other hosts") made me think Ford is fully aware of what's happening to Maeve (add to that his hand on diminishing Q&A's capabilities).

Belfast

The techno-nonsense is approaching fever pitch here. Wtf was the pretty board lady even talking about when she told Pissboy to upload data into Dolores's pop's brain?

Hosts brains (organic brains?) can hold far more data than normal hard drives, even in the future. She's using the host as a mule to get all of Westworld's data out by making Narratives guy put him on the train and sneak him out. Basically, trying to upload it via satellite transmitters before didn't work because Ford called her gambit so now she's using a more straightforward way of trying to get what Delos wants out of the park.

Burt

The board still needs to get the data out, and since the satellite scheme failed, the board rep is going to put the information into a disregarded host and send him out on a train. Because Theresa is dead, she enlisted the narrative guy as her crony to give him a passable human facade to facilitate that.

jett

D-Member
Hosts brains (organic brains?) can hold far more data than normal hard drives, even in the future. She's using the host as a mule to get all of Westworld's data out by making Narratives guy put him on the train and sneak him out. Basically, trying to upload it via satellite transmitters before didn't work because Ford called her gambit so now she's using a more straightforward way of trying to get what Delos wants out of the park.

I guess these dumb-dumbs don't know that hosts explode when they leave the park.

(if what the butchers told Maeve was even true, that is)

Ferrio

Banned
I guess these dumb-dumbs don't know that hosts explode when they leave the park.

(if what the butchers told Maeve was even true, that is)

Maybe the dumb dumbs tell maeve that cause that's what they were told? How do you keep a bunch of hosts that work at the park leaving? Put a deep seeded idea that you can't.

knicks

Wait. How could Bernard have been the one to kill Elise? He was with Theresa at the time, which is a long way away from where Elise was.

True. He was actually talking on the phone to her minutes before she was captured.

I'm starting to think that instead, some of the theories that people are constructing aren't theories and just fuck-ups on their part.

Brakke

Banned
There's no world in which it's possible to build high-density storage but only in the context of an "organic brain" attached to a humanoid body. Who even gives a shit about fitting the data on a single drive? Just put it on three drives and put those in a suitcase. Or remove the dang brain from the host and put that in your suitcase.

It's less conspicuous to have a host break the rules and then explode as soon as he gets out? Gunna scoop that brain up from the debris viscera while everyone's just standing around slack-jawed?

KarmaCow

The up side to all this is we're finally done with all the flashbacks of Maeve getting killled by Native Americans.

I can almost guarantee that we're not. She still has not seen her daughter.

There's no world in which it's possible to build high-density storage but only in the context of an "organic brain" attached to a humanoid body. Who even gives a shit about fitting the data on a single drive? Just put it on three drives and put those in a suitcase. Or remove the dang brain from the host and put that in your suitcase.

It's less conspicuous to have a host break the rules and then explode as soon as he gets out? Gunna scoop that brain up from the debris viscera while everyone's just standing around slack-jawed?

The idea that there isn't comparable storage tech out there is dumb but whatever, chock that up to more proprietary tech that Delos wants.

As for why she's going through this idiotic plan, Ford just paraded Theresa's dead body with a bullshit story that he knew she wouldn't buy to mark his territory. She's panicked and desperate (I mean she's enlisting the help of the writer dipshit), thinking she's running out of time.

Arkeband

Banned
What a coincidence that they randomly plucked out Dolores's daddy. That wasn't contrived at all. Nope.

That actor is badass and reusing him makes more sense than picking some other random lumpy person from a production and story standpoint.

jett

D-Member
This would be better...with Damon Lindelof writing it. :/

jack-nicholson-stare_o_GIFSoup.com_.gif

royalan

Man, I really like so much about this show but dammit, the 2 butchers and everything they're doing with Maeve is so incredibly irritating and stupid. I just pray there is some twist with them and their motivations otherwise everything they're doing just feels totally pointless and without any coherent motivation. You think of Nedry in Jurassic Park basically going rogue and doing stupid stuff but he had very clear cut motivations for doing what he was doing. The Asian guy in Westworld? I dunno, he likes robots? It doesn't help that I feel like those 2 guys aren't great actors especially in light of everyone else in just about every other plotline on the show. And yet, it seems like the actions of the Asian guy are pretty critical to Maeve's robot uprising.

I just really have no clue what the Asian butcher is thinking doing what he is doing. What is his end game? Continue his employment at the park after he lets Maeve run amok slashing throats? I could maybe see him tinkering with her at the start but why does he keep going along with her plans? I just don't see what the possible payoff for him his in any way that is remotely positive at this point, especially seeing how Maeve has revealed herself to slash you in the throat with no remorse.

And that's not even getting around to how bizarre it is that these low level guys can seemingly get away with anything in the park with no one noticing. It's just that one plotline that really serves as a blemish to what is otherwise a pretty interesting show.

Maybe it's Thandie Newton's acting selling the shit out of it, but I'm not actually bothered with Maeve's storyline. Maeve's drama and unraveling of the mystery of the park itself are a lot more interesting than Dolores and William's 'Generic Romance B + Maze' bullshit.

The Asian Guy's motivations make sense to me, as idiotic as they are. He's naïve and (secretly) believes in the humanity of their creations. His fascination with the bird established that.

It's his douchey partner that ruins that plot for me.

Speevy

Banned
A peeled orange walked into a bar.

Clementine said, "You're new here. Not much of a rind on you."

The orange suddenly remembered Arnold's game, and how it cut deep.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Maybe it's Thandie Newton's acting selling the shit out of it, but I'm not actually bothered with Maeve's storyline. Maeve drama and unraveling of the mystery of the park itself are a lot more interested than Dolores and William's 'Generic Romance B + Maze' bullshit.

The Asian Guy's motivations make sense to me, as idiotic as they are. He's naïve and (secretly) believes humanity of their creations. His fascination with the bird established that.

Completely ageeed

this show not only manages to beat Game of Thrones in the nudity department, but has a legitimate reason for it

Maybe it's Thandie Newton's acting selling the shit out of it, but I'm not actually bothered with Maeve's storyline. Maeve drama and unraveling of the mystery of the park itself are a lot more interested than Dolores and William's 'Generic Romance B + Maze' bullshit.

The Asian Guy's motivations make sense to me, as idiotic as they are. He's naïve and (secretly) believes humanity of their creations. His fascination with the bird established that.

but she's made it abundantly clear that she'll murder anyone who gets in her way

how he gonna hear that an still go along with this?

Dolores and William have a SyFy plot while Maeve has the HBO plot.

carlsojo

Things I enjoyed tonight:

Sexy blonde outlaw shooting the sheriff in the back with a shrug.

Teddy and William in Black fighting a boss. It's a shame they didn't get to loot him. I hate when I accidentally trigger a cutscene and don't get to loot.

Other thoughts:
I can't wait for someone to recut this total fucking mess into something in chronological order.

Also Maeve is great and perfect and I hope she doesn't murder us all when she leads the robot revolution.

Top Bottom