• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
The town being buried seemed present day. Also the MiB speech didn't sound like William at all, especially how he never saw anything like the hosts being truly alive until Maeve. William seems pretty convinced about Dolores.

And jeez for multi-timelines to be true we'd be getting flashbacks within flashbacks...

Ford is digging up the town currently.

They even explained how. Hosts don't remember. They relive due to their supercomputer memory

In what way? Why is Dolores killing herself Arnold's plan?
That was her in the past remembering the beta period era of the park. Him stopping her was when he pulled her away from entering the church

Also MIB sounds like he's the owner of all of Delos and all its Destinations. Hence the VIP access

The town being buried seemed present day. Also the MiB speech didn't sound like William at all, especially how he never saw anything like the hosts being truly alive until Maeve. William seems pretty convinced about Dolores.
No, William is just seduced by the park's facade. Something will happen that will shatter his belief in the park. Then Maeve will be what convinces him

ZOONAMI

They still have not confirmed that william is on a near present timeline or outright debunked mib = william.

The church being buried sort of made it seem like near present timeline but the entrance host chilling with mib made it seem like william is potentially mib.

It does seem that at least some sort of alt timeline is basically confirmed but not that mib = william.

jfkgoblue

When she wakes up, why didn't he just shut her down and erase?

How do low level "butchers" have access to her core attributes?

Why the fuck would he go with a crazy robot's plan to have a robot uprising?

How the fuck is there no "paper trail" for the changes made?

How is there no password for accessing the behavior computer for the changes?
They still have not confirmed that william is on a near present timeline or outright debunked mib = william.

The church being buried sort of made it seem like near present timeline but the entrance host chilling with mib made it seem like william is potentially mib.

It does seem that at least some sort of alt timeline is basically confirmed but not that mib = william.
Yeah I can(and have always felt it was possible) that they are alternate timelines, but William=MiB has never made much sense.

I have to think and hope it's Ford's machinations. It's the only thing that makes sense

Most of these are valid.

ZOONAMI

I have to think and hope it's Ford's machinations. It's the only thing that makes sense

I think it really is just Felix doesn't want to be a cold pos and wants to see what happens.

Ford isn't going to have anything to do with it.

Maeve seems to be doomed either way.

The entrance host change confirmed the two timelines theory as far as I'm concerned.

Also there is so much pointing to MiB=William that it is also basically confirmed. MiB said he was married for thirty years, and William is getting married when he returns from the park . . . that can't be a coincidence. It would be a lame swerve if they aren't the same person at this point.

sangreal

at this point I'm assuming the asian guy is a host and she manipulated him the same way we see her controlling all the other hosts

SeanC

Yeah, I don't get the Asian surgeon guy's motivations at all. What is he getting out of any of this? Feels like really forced writing just to make a thing happen. It's a linchpin to the plot of getting hosts to turn and they've totally half-assed it because it boils down to this one character's actions making sense and they completely don't.

Plus the other stories are just far more interesting anyways with more interesting characters and things happening. So it almost feels unnecessary other than to line it up with the movie - which all that needed was a glitch/virus in the system and they could/should have just done that here. Would have been fine considering that's the path it was going down anyways.

at this point I'm assuming the asian guy is a host and she manipulated him the same way we see her controlling all the other hosts

That could be more interesting, maybe. She could sense he was or something. If so they better show that quick because it seems the consensus is the dude is being stupid for the sake of being stupid and that's just stupid...

KHarvey16

Yeah I can(and have always felt it was possible) that they are alternate timelines, but William=MiB has never made much sense.

None of those are plot holes.

Mashing

Guys, we saw William stop Dolores from completing Arnold's plan

What plan are you talking about? That scene confused me. It appeared that Dolores was remembering an earlier build that was programmed to slaughter everyone and then herself. They are hosts, how does that stop anything?

I think Ford knows this is going on, or perhaps even had a hand in helping it along.

ZOONAMI

So what was the revelation in this ep that Nolan said would make some sense of what the butchers did?

I guess that they planned out wiping her but it boiled down to human error felix not wanting to.

Doesn't explain that they didn't wipe her immediately a long time ago though.

What plan are you talking about? That scene confused me. It appeared that Dolores was remembering an earlier build that was programmed to slaughter everyone and then herself. They are hosts, how does that stop anything?
Arnold wanted to destroy the park. Dolores was his means of doing so. The Man In Black saved the park from that, as we learned in his talk with Ford.

Going by the implications of last week, the scenes with Bernard and Dolores talking are likely flashbacks to conversations between Arnold and Dolores. We saw him instruct her to find the maze, the conclusion of which would be the park's end.

In this episode, we see Dolores reach that pivotal area (the church that Ford is digging up in the present) and William pulls her away, thus preventing her from completing the maze test

Zyae

Arnold wanted to destroy the park. Dolores was his means of doing so. The Man In Black saved the park from that, as we learned in his talk with Ford.

Going by the implications of last week, the scenes with Bernard and Dolores talking are likely flashbacks to conversations between Arnold and Dolores. We saw him instruct her to find the maze, the conclusion of which would be the park's end.

In this episode, we see Dolores reach that pivotal area (the church that Ford is digging up in the present) and William pulls her away, thus preventing her from completing the maze test

This is what I thought as well, more or less

sangreal

Basically that Felix and Sylvester would have to be hosts as it still doesn't make sense they didn't wipe her immediately like 2 episodes ago.

Even if they are hosts it doesn't make sense.

They weren't able to shut her down remotely before; that part made sense. They demonstrated countless times that she was awake whenever she was supposed to be asleep

KHarvey16

Maybe they're being controlled by Ford, but the complaints about characters not doing things they should are a little strange I think. People in general do not always do what they should or make smart choices. Felix is very obviously interested in AI and is very sympathetic to them. His little bird experiment was all about establishing that.

ZOONAMI

They weren't able to shut her down remotely before; that part made sense. They demonstrated countless times that she was awake whenever she was supposed to be asleep

Ok, then it doesn't make sense they both don't immediately run and go get help, like hey, this host is fucked up = wiping her.

Belfast

My guess is that Ford, or Delos, or the conflict between them is creating such a mess that nobody is paying attention to the what the low-level scrubs are doing. It barely registers on the scale (even if it should). Hell, a lot of the other mistakes with the hosts would find their way through if it wasn't for curious employees like Elsie investigating. I know that stories like these tend to only focus on the important characters, but Westworld seems vastly understaffed, or at least a lot of said staff is kept in the dark. Perhaps this is to do with Ford consolidating control and the (illusion?) of power, or perhaps it is because Westworld seems to be bleeding money.

tl, dr: The techs can get away with what they're doing because Westworld is actually a fucking mess right now even when everyone thinks they're in control.

My guess is that Ford, or Delos, or the conflict between them is creating such a mess that nobody is paying attention to the what the low-level scrubs are doing. It barely registers on the scale (even if it should). Hell, a lot of the other mistakes with the hosts would find their way through if it wasn't for curious employees like Elsie investigating. I know that stories like these tend to only focus on the important characters, but Westworld seems vastly understaffed, or at least a lot of said staff is kept in the dark. Perhaps this is to do with Ford consolidating control and the (illusion?) of power, or perhaps it is because Westworld seems to be bleeding money.

tl, dr: The techs can get away with what they're doing because Westworld is actually a fucking mess right now even when everyone thinks they're in control.
That sounds very Crichton/Jurassic Park

ie Nedry fucking everything up since his betrayal and odd behavior was overlooked due to making sure the tour went well

sonka

Banned
If indeed William is indeed MiB as it looks, I think it hurts the credibility of the story telling going on. We have hints from a logo, a knife, a shirt and some lines. What we don't have hints from are the character, his habits, his idiosyncrasies. If MiB is indeed William its a shame that there are really no hints from the ways that characters are being played by the two actors.

Nif

Who's the actress playing Clementine 2.0? I recognize her from something and it's driving me crazy. Another host from this show?

FelipeMGM

Also, that girl that was with Teddy and MiB is the same one from when William arrives at WW right? MiB recognizes her

screen-shot-2016-10-07-at-12-37-45-pm.png

jfkgoblue

If indeed William is indeed MiB as it looks, I think it hurts the credibility of the story telling going on. We have hints from a logo, a knife, a shirt and some lines. What we don't have hints from are the character, his habits, his idiosyncrasies. If MiB is indeed William its a shame that there are really no hints from the ways that characters are being played by the two actors.
like I said I could get behind alternate timelines, but MiB=William just doesn't make sense

We do, by means of juxtaposition. Something major must happen to go from immersed William seduced by the park's illusion to the cynical Man In Black who just treats the park like an artificial game to master and unlock

Everything else matches timeline-wise between the two

TyrantII

Maybe they're being controlled by Ford, but the complaints about characters not doing things they should are a little strange I think. People in general do not always do what they should or make smart choices. Felix is very obviously interested in AI and is very sympathetic to them. His little bird experiment was all about establishing that.

TV watchers are sociopaths.

Matty77

The most interesting parts of this episode to me were not any of what we have discussed and debated.

The first being Ford talking about Arnold plus what we know makes me wonder why so many seem to think of Arnold as a benevolent pro sentience figure when it really seems he was just as crazy as Ford, just of a different brand.

Two, did we really just see 35 years of data uploaded into an Abernathy that was so defective even Ford's solution was packing him in Ice, with orders to get him out of the park?

Ridli

Man, I was hoping for more from Teddy/MiB this week.

The implications of Maeve getting god mode are pretty interesting, if only it didn't involve the butchers. The butchers being so easily manipulated by a host is dumb and I'd prefer if we could just forget it ever happened.

Top Bottom