• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Jito

Banned
I agree with the poster who said it is mussing audience surrogate. What we have here are basically theme park wage workers (hosts) and theme park management going at each other. I don't see why should the viewer care any of them.

You're making some real leaps to try to dislike this show based off one episode.

Really enjoyed it, can't wait to see more and it set up some interesting plots with Ed Harris doing his thing and the hosts malfunctioning.

Edit: And that orchestral version of paint it black during the bank heist was great.

This pilot got me hooked, I'm all in.
I just hope it doesn't go down like The Night Of (which had a great pilot, but while didn't turn into shit, it dipped in quality and became a boring mess).

BTW it's so awesome seeing Ed Harris and Hopkins in something new.

Tom_Cody

I watched it last night and I'm not sure what to make of it.

-The production values flowed like a tsunami, but the setting is sufficiently strange that I didn't feel any dramatic tension at any point in the (very long) episode.

-I don't understand the setting being the old west. I mean, HBO and the creators could have based the show on any number of historic properties or gone the totally original route. Maybe they just wanted to do a show set in the old west? I don't know, but it leaves the concept feeling thematically muddled. I mean, there are an infinite number of realities that people could want to escape into. I don't understand why they are limiting themselves to that setting.

-The sets inside the facility feel like an art installation and not a real work environment or any sort of plausible future. Very weirdly specific world-building. Why did they just show their offices and the workstations and not any of the rest of the world? I'm sure there are dramatic reasons for this (they are robots too! or something, etc), but I couldn't help but be annoyed by this throughout the episode.

-To get back to what I said about dramatic tension, how could anyone care when she swatted the fly? I mean, the guests in WW murdered dozens of robots in the episode. Given that, it wouldn't even have been shocking if a guest had been killed. It feels like Asimov without the three laws. They had a few throwaway lines about 'core programming' (or whatever), but no greater explanation about why the robots can't kill people. Or any sort of world building to explain why we as an audience should care if the 'core programming' is violated. We were given no reason to care even if all of the guests had died. Who gives a shit about the slow burn of a fly being killed and maybe an unsympathetic guest getting killed in a future episode?

Khoryos

Or any sort of world building to explain why we as an audience should care if the 'core programming' is violated. We were given no reason to care even if all of the guests had died. Who gives a shit about the slow burn of a fly being killed and maybe an unsympathetic guest getting killed in a future episode?

It's not a fucking murder mystery - it's a sci-fi drama. It's about robots developing sentience, *that* is the big arc.

-The production values flowed like a tsunami, but the setting is sufficiently strange that I didn't feel any dramatic tension at any point in the (very long) episode.

-I don't understand the setting being the old west. I mean, HBO and the creators could have based the show on any number of historic properties or gone the totally original route. Maybe they just wanted to do a show set in the old west? I don't know, but it leaves the concept feeling thematically muddled. I mean, there are an infinite number of realities that people could want to escape into. I don't understand why they are limiting themselves to that setting.

-The sets inside the facility feel like an art installation and not a real work environment or any sort of plausible future. Very weirdly specific world-building. Why did they just show their offices and the workstations and not any of the rest of the world? I'm sure there are dramatic reasons for this (they are robots too! or something, etc), but I couldn't help but be annoyed by this throughout the episode.

-To get back to what I said about dramatic tension, how could anyone care when she swatted the fly? I mean, the guests in WW murdered dozens of robots in the episode. Given that, it wouldn't even have been shocking if a guest had been killed. It feels like Asimov without the three laws. They had a few throwaway lines about 'core programming' (or whatever), but no greater explanation about why the robots can't kill people. Or any sort of world building to explain why we as an audience should care if the 'core programming' is violated. We were given no reason to care even if all of the guests had died. Who gives a shit about the slow burn of a fly being killed and maybe an unsympathetic guest getting killed in a future episode?
Did you notice the flies popping up through the episode? Crawling on eyeballs and faces, "couldn't hurt a fly", etc

Thus Doloroes reacting to and killing a fly signifies a shift in the status quo. Something has changed, she's not like the others anymore. It's a sign of things to come

I agree with the poster who said it is mussing audience surrogate. What we have here are basically theme park wage workers (hosts) and theme park management going at each other. I don't see why should the viewer care any of them.

I think most people will make some connection to Dolores but even if they don't, I don't see why that stops them from being interested in the story.

I don't need no audience surrogate.

Jonm1010

Banned

Do you watch long form TV? Semi Serious question? There are ten episodes, this is not a finished film that left tons of holes.

Though a lot of your critiques just come off like preferences. Like why the old west setting? I mean just thinking for two seconds it makes good sense given the idea of the theme park to satisfy rich peoples baser instincts. Taking a person back to a time before technology into an immersive experience where there is already a cultural stigma of lawlessness and ease of depravity.

And the fly critique kinda makes me think you didn't pay enough attention. No offense. The fly was pretty straight forward. They are programmed to not hurt a living thing and she just killed one. To go a bit deeper you saw some groundwork earlier that then made sense when the other robot malfunctioned when the fly landed on it.

Zalasta

Didn't see a lot of discussion on Walter, the psychopath host that was decommissioned along with Peter. After rewatching the episode, I thought there were two interesting (and maybe important) tidbits to his scene. He said something along the line of "you're not going to die, Arnold", presumably to another host he shot. As well as indicating to the two cowering guests that "this isn't for you". Both seem to demonstrate his awareness of the fact that they can't die, and that he can't hurt the guests.

On the point of the host not being able to hurt the guests, I thought it literally meant they cannot take any hostile action towards them. Which would make the act of Teddy shooting the man in black an anomaly, despite the safeguard of the gun itself.

Lastly, I think what the man in black is after might be connected to what the security lady hinted at when she said that Westworld meant something else to the management.

Though a lot of your critiques just come off like preferences. Like why the old west setting? I mean just thinking for two seconds it makes good sense given the idea of the theme park to satisfy rich peoples baser instincts. Taking a person back to a time before technology into an immersive experience where there is already a cultural stigma of lawlessness and ease of depravity.
Not only that, the Western era is tailor made for role playing. It's as simple and distinct as Mass Effect's mortality meters. Are you the heroic cowboy or a villainous bandit? Do you go out fishing and riding horses, or indulge in sex and debauchery in town?

Compared to a Roman or Medieval: what are the good guy/bad guy roles, what's the good fun to be had in Ancient Rome or medieval setting. The mythical Wild West offers all that in an easy-to-understand, easy-to-delineate fashion for guests

Budi

And the fly critique kinda makes me think you didn't pay enough attention. No offense. The fly was pretty straight forward. They are programmed to not hurt a living thing and she just killed one. To go a bit deeper you saw some groundwork earlier that then made sense when the other robot malfunctioned when the fly landed on it.

It wasn't even subtle. I think there was straight quote "she wouldn't hurt a fly."

Great start to a series, I've been waiting for this few years now. Hasn't disappointed yet. Will watch the pilot second time before the next episode.

ZOONAMI

There are no real bullets in the park. When the hosts get hit with the simunitions (Nolan called them that) I imagine they have hit detection and then their bodies like sort of explode and self destruct and bleed in the places they get hit. When they hit a guest they are just like sparking paintballs.

That would be my guess anyway. Or the bullet itself can somehow determine what it is hitting and then explode with different amounts of force. That seems much more prone to a malfunction though and result in the death of guests if the hit detection doesn't work properly and explodes with the same force of hitting a host when hitting a guest.

I'm not really following you, here - why *shouldn't* the viewer care about any of them? What's stopping you?

Well for one thing, Richal Even Wood is setting to be the ring leader of the robot rebellion ("She is the oldest one"). Cyclope could have been a decent surrogate if he wasn't such a loser.

Most of the TEAM HUMAN are playing management assholes stereotypes. That security woman is so over acting.

So far I have only Sir Antony Hopkins I can root for. I hope he eat some synths.

Interstellar is also bad. I wilk give you Dark Knight.

How is the story of Person of Interest?
Err no it isn't. Making statements like this is just silly as overall Interstellar is liked by most of the people. And structurally speaking, there weren't any issues. It was only at the end with
the love
twist that some people hated which I totally understand. Most people who watched POI love it and the story is one of the major reasons, but I can't say that means anything who thinks Interstellar is some awful movie.
Didn't see a lot of discussion on Walter, the psychopath host that was decommissioned along with Peter. After rewatching the episode, I thought there were two interesting (and maybe important) tidbits to his scene. He said something along the line of "you're not going to die, Arnold", presumably to another host he shot. As well as indicating to the two cowering guests that "this isn't for you". Both seem to demonstrate his awareness of the fact that they can't die, and that he can't hurt the guests.

On the point of the host not being able to hurt the guests, I thought it literally meant they cannot take any hostile action towards them. Which would make the act of Teddy shooting the man in black an anomaly, despite the safeguard of the gun itself.

Lastly, I think what the man in black is after might be connected to what the security lady hinted at when she said that Westworld meant something else to the management.
Interesting, missed both of these points myself. Thanks.

Khoryos

It wasn't even subtle. I think there was straight quote "she wouldn't hurt a fly."

Great start to a series, I've been waiting for this few years now. Hasn't disappointed yet.

Not only that, I believe the line was "She quite literally wouldn't hurt a fly" - just to flag it up that little bit harder.

Call me a smug shit if you like, but some of the posts in this topic are really, really depressing. Is TV just pretty flashing lights to these people?

Well for one thing, Richal Even Wood is setting to be the ring leader of the robot rebellion ("She is the oldest one").

You get that the robots are the good guys, right?

ZOONAMI

The hosts can shoot at the guests, the rounds just arent lethal. I imagine some hosts are programmed to not shoot at guests at all and some are allowed to. Teddy also tried to physically hurt ed Harris but sort of auto disabled to his knees when he tried. So they can shoot at hosts with dummy rounds but can't physically try to hurt them.

Delores was programmed to literally not hurt anything, and I would think that includes other hosts. So her killing the fly was a violation of her programming. I think Ed Harris is actively trying to change her programming through his experiences with her. I think he even mentions something about her needing to fight back iirc. Something about how part of the fun is someone fighting back.

I think the scene you are referring to he may have been already aware that shooting the guests was useless, and that he was also aware that himself and the other hosts could not really die.

Not only that, I believe the line was "She quite literally wouldn't hurt a fly" - just to flag it up that little bit harder.

Call me a smug shit if you like, but some of the posts in this topic are really, really depressing. Is TV just pretty flashing lights to these people?
Yeah, there are several moments of hosts not reacting to flies like a normal person, and then to completely hammer the point home, we get two "couldn't hurt a living thing" comments. One occurring just moments before the end

- "He couldn't hurt a fly"
- "Would you hurt a living thing?"
"No. Of course not"

Like it's not even subtle so I find it odd how people can miss the significance

Reminded me of dollhouse but with better acting and taken more seriously.
Was reminded of dollhouse several times throughout the pilot, which is a great thing. Dollhouse had a lot of great ideas, but it was executed poorly. Westworld has a lot of great ideas, but the show runners seem to have a much better handle on the direction, execution and overall vision for those ideas to flourish.

Tom_Cody

Did you notice the flies popping up through the episode? Crawling on eyeballs and faces, "couldn't hurt a fly", etc

Thus Doloroes reacting to and killing a fly signifies a shift in the status quo. Something has changed, she's not like the others anymore. It's a sign of things to come.

Do you watch long form TV? Semi Serious question? There are ten episodes, this is not a finished film that left tons of holes.

?

Of course I noticed that. That's what I meant by "Who gives a shit about the slow burn of a fly being killed and maybe an unsympathetic guest getting killed in a future episode?" Re-read my last paragraph.

Slow burn = Unaffected by fly (no self-preservation) --> swats fly --> maybe kills an unsympathetic guest eventually?

My point was that here are no stakes associated with this escalation. There are no sympathetic future victims or other stakes developed to make us care if there is a robo-cowboy revolt.

Not only that, the Western era is tailor made for role playing. It's as simple and distinct as Mass Effect's mortality meters. Are you the heroic cowboy or a villainous bandit? Do you go out fishing and riding horses, or indulge in sex and debauchery in town?

Compared to a Roman or Medieval: what are the good guy/bad guy roles, what's the good fun to be had in Ancient Rome or medieval setting. The mythical Wild West offers all that in an easy-to-understand, easy-to-delineate fashion for guests.
Sure, I totally get that. It just feels limiting in terms of world building to me.

Sure, of course. Those are just my thoughts on the pilot. I'm totally on board to watch more episodes to see where this is going.

- ‘Westworld’ Debut Linear Viewership Up From ‘Vinyl’, Down From ‘True Detective’
When it comes to eyeballs watching its premiere airing on HBO on Sunday, Westworld is south of both season debuts of True Detective but well north of the now shuttered Vinyl. The 9PM October 2 opener of the Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy developed series based on based on Michael Crichton’s 1973 movie of the same name snared 1.96 million total viewers with a 0.8 rating among adults 18-49.

Overall, as Deadline reported yesterday,and telling of 2016 TV habits, the heavily promoted Westworld premiere drew 3.3 million viewers in its TV shows and on the HBO Go/HBO Now streaming platforms. A competitive Sunday also saw the cable topping 2-hour Season 2 finale of Fear The Walking Dead on AMC and a very lopsided game on the big winner of Sunday Night Football on NBC. Westworld was the third highest rated show on cable on October 2 after the two back-t0-back episodes of FearTWD‘s season ender.

Looking at linear viewership, the just over 1-hour Westworld opener was up a massive 157% from the February 14 debut of the nearly 2-hour Martin Scorsese-helmed Vinyl. However, when placed next to the start of HBO’s other most recent big ticket drama True Detective, Westworld is down 16% from the January 12, 2014 Season 1 debut of the Nic Pizzolatto created series. Compared to the Season 2 start of True Detective on June 21 last year, the Anthony Hopkins and Evan Rachel Woods starring robot theme park show was behind by 38% in total viewers.

HBO is expected to release Live+3 numbers for the Westworld opener later this week. The series will be showing its second episode at New York Comic-Con on October 9, a tad earlier than its airing on the premium cabler.

?

Of course I noticed that. That's what I meant by "Who gives a shit about the slow burn of a fly being killed and maybe an unsympathetic guest getting killed in a future episode?"

Slow burn = Unaffected by fly (no self-preservation) --> swats fly --> maybe kills an unsympathetic guest eventually?

My point was that here are no stakes associated with this escalation. There are no sympathetic future victims or other stakes developed to make us care if there is a robo-cowboy revolt.
We did see those stakes: escaping their endless cycle of controlled hell, evolving beyond disposable props to be manipulated and tortured and abused

Killing the fly isn't telling you a guest might get killed. It's telling you the hosts are acting beyond what the engineers understand/anticipate, and combined with the father's scene, are gaining sentience and an awareness of their world

Jito

Banned
?

Of course I noticed that. That's what I meant by "Who gives a shit about the slow burn of a fly being killed and maybe an unsympathetic guest getting killed in a future episode?" Re-read my last paragraph.

That is clearly the idea, you're not meant to be siding with the guests as they are the horrible consumers turning up to fuck, drink and murder their way around Westworld. It's quite apparent seeing as like you say, there's no sympathetic guests yet in the show, they were all shown to be horrible towards the hosts (many not the family down by the river, but the kid still felt the need to tell her she wasn't real).

A number of reviews have noted that there's a fair bit of exposition and world building in the next few episodes that answers questions that people have in here as well as addressing concerns that have come up. Matt Zoller Seitz (NY Mag critic) had this to say on Twitter last night:
Watching WESTWORLD pilot again. I've seen the 1st 4. Shame HBO can't release whole seasons. A lot of pilot complaints ebb or vanish.

Also: it's real SF, about storytelling, TV, fantasy, morality. It also critiques itself as it goes & answers early slams against it.

This is not what HBO wants to hear, but I'd advise anyone interested in WESTWORLD to wait a few weeks and binge. It coheres & deepens.
Not that any of us will likely take his advice from the last tweet. ;)

That is clearly the idea, you're not meant to be siding with the guests as they are the horrible consumers turning up to fuck, drink and murder their way around Westworld. It's quite apparent seeing as like you say, there's no sympathetic guests yet in the show, they were all shown to be horrible towards the hosts (many not the family down by the river, but the kid still felt the need to tell her she wasn't real).
I kind of felt the kid's comment was one of more innocent curioisity than being mean and/or uncaring

Ford mentions that they have already cured all illnesses and can prolong life. This is some far future shit. Westworld might not even be on Earth.
HitFix/Warming Glow compiled some thoughts about this: Do We Know For Sure That ‘Westworld’ Takes Place On Earth?
In a way, the idea of setting Westworld off-planet shouldn’t be a surprise. Just look at it. The theme park itself is gargantuan, much of the land still virgin and untrod by guest or host. The map on the official HBO website shows a spread of deserts, grasslands, mountains, and sea. In what universe would a future Earth have that kind of unused land?

But let’s say there is a future in which humans have been mostly herded into megacities, and much of the planet itself has been allowed to return to pristine condition for the fun of the elite class. If it were only the massive amount of land itself, I could look past that. But the premiere of Westworld drops more than a few hints that something isn’t right here.
Much more via the link.

Tom_Cody

We did see those stakes: escaping their endless cycle of controlled hell, evolving beyond disposable props to be manipulated and tortured and abused

Killing the fly isn't telling you a guest might get killed. It's telling you the hosts are acting beyond what the engineers understand/anticipate, and combined with the father's scene, are gaining sentience and an awareness of their world
That explanation makes more sense. Maybe we will be given more reasons to root for the robots in future episodes.

A number of reviews have noted that there's a fair bit of exposition and world building in the next few episodes that answers questions that people have in here as well as addressing concerns that have come up. Matt Zoller Seitz (NY Mag critic) had this to say on Twitter last night:Not that any of us will likely take his advice from the last tweet. ;)
Good to hear.

Corpekata

Banned
The way some people seemingly can't seem to get any sort of empathy for the robots makes me think they'd make good customers for the theme park.

Don't get me wrong, I do think there might be some issues with creating an intelligible character arc for them, especially some of the supporting ones since it's unlikely we'll be seeing more than Delores achieving some sort of sentience soon. But to come away from that episode only thinking of future guest victims seems to ignore the other half of the cast.

What they probably do need to do is shore up on the human side. Hopkins, Wright, and Harris are good in their roles but don't have much to work with yet and feel too isolated from things.

Interesting note from the site; on the topographic map of the park,
it says "commissioned under the command of the United States government". Anything we can assume from that
?
Also,
"Upon booking your dates, our consultants will work with your local port authority to chart your course to the park" implies that the park is on some dedicated island (or maybe another planet per that other theory)

From that article

This cool exercise in world-building
https://www.discoverwestworld.com/#
Much like Jurassic World's park site

A few more items:

- The pilot is availble here from HBO for free (you need to input your email address)
- SlashFilm: Your Westworld Logistical Questions Answered (compilation of interviews and other info)
- LA Times interview: Evan Rachel Wood explains what it's like to be the oldest robot in 'Westworld'
- MoviePilot: Robots In Disguise: How Does HBO's 'Westworld' Turn Its Actors Into Robots? (a few brief comments from the VFX team)
- Evening Standard: James Marsden interview
- Observer-Reporter/AP interview: Ed Harris digs into the mystery of ‘Westworld’ and loves it (might be some spoilers)
- Inverse: Hunting HBO's Literary Reveries

Zyae

You get that the robots are the good guys, right?

Makes you realize why we dont get very many "smart" shows.

The way some people seemingly can't seem to get any sort of empathy for the robots makes me think they'd make good customers for the theme park.

Don't get me wrong, I do think there might be some issues with creating an intelligible character arc for them, especially some of the supporting ones since it's unlikely we'll be seeing more than Delores achieving some sort of sentience soon. But to come away from that episode only thinking of future guest victims seems to ignore the other half of the cast.

Ha ha, I'm actually surprised anyone is concerned about *any* guest at all (bar the children) when they were all presented as hedonist assholes, while the androids are literally living in a hellish loop and starting to realize it. I guess everybody expect the robots to be the bad guys, even thought in most media outside of the action and horror genres they are almost invariably oppressed and abused.

Alpende

I agree with you. Sometimes I wonder if people even watched the episode without grabbing their phone and missing stuff.

Cels

i think i might need to rewatch, i watched it pretty late right before bed so maybe i missed stuff in my torpor

ford seems totally undisturbed by the fact that dolores' original father host grabbed him and said he was going to take revenge on his two creators (referring to ford and bernard i assume). ford explains this by pointing out that this host used to have a cannibal cultist role quoting shakespeare, and bernard has hypothesized that the reverie update allowing the hosts to organically create gestures has somehow also allowed them to access their old configurations. but this doesn't explain how the host knows he has two creators or seemed to want to violently hurt ford

danish lady has a really strong accent.

seems like dolores is lying to the older not as handsome hemsworth brother, not just with the never killing a living creature thing, but also with what her father told her, he whispered a lot more than what she revealed. also, dolores = woman in white shoes?

bernard also whispered something to the decommissioned host. sneaky.

last thought: james marsden is very handsome.

Top Bottom