• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

kirblar

It's a western sounding male name meant to throw you off the trail that it's actually Dolores.
Yeah, Wyatt Earp is famous. They explain it in the episode- Wyatt was a fully-formed other personality that they downloaded into Delores.

This is why the episode is titled "Bicameral Mind" - Dolores has two personalities merged together.

edit: oops double

Mega

Banned
Westworld = wild west time period of the US. It's not Cowboy World, therefore Samurai World is kind of silly. Maybe it is:

Sengoku World
The Sengoku period (戦国時代 Sengoku jidai?, lit. Age of Civil War; c. 1467 – c. 1603) is a period in Japanese history marked by social upheaval, political intrigue and near-constant military conflict.

Seems pretty exciting to me for a park idea.

So it seems to be an obvious setup for season 2 is Maeve and Dolores leading rival factions of the robots. Dolores's first act of individuality is to commit mass murder, while Maeve's is to forego freedom and instead rescue her daughter. One is clearly more "human" than the other.

Admittedly, Maeve didn't have any personal qualms with people dying, but who knows if that was programmed into her narrative or not.

crustikid

Great finale. This is the most LOST like show in a post-LOST world (Bad Robot, duh). I remember reading the FUSELAGE week by week. When LOST season finales would air I would freak out at all the fan theories unraveling at breakneck speeds. I could feel that happening tonight scene after scene; it's like Christmas. It's probably a byproduct of Westworld's calibur and budget that none of the characters are given substantial time to develop. LOST always had those filler episodes that everyone hated on but they were so focused on singular characters that the following episodes you really felt their presence. At the end of tonight's finale I really felt like Anthony Hopkins died as opposed to the character Rob Ford.

Here's to hoping for a great second season!

duckroll

I figured it out. It's....

STRANGER WORLD

SqGOhRm.jpg

Brb, booking tickets now.

Don't know... legit disappointed. The episode was good, I liked it, however there's something that I can't just explain, in the end I did not like it as a finale. I can't put it in words, so I can't exactly explain why I'm disappointed, sorry.

Really think the highlight of the series were episodes 1-6. It all went downhill after that.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Disappointing finale for me. This show is obsessed with lauding secrets over its viewers, but the secrets aren't that interesting. This finale was especially frustrating in that regard. William's heel turn just didn't feel very organic. Maybe if Dolores' reset set off an ongoing change...maybe. But he basically flipped like a switch a few episodes ago. Spending sooooo much time with his journey and ultimately it ends in a sloppy mess.

There is this veneer of sophistication that it uses as a crutch to hide how silly everything has become. They have Hopkins act the shit out of a speech, insert a historical quote or story, and then call it a day. But the rest of the show feels very phoned in.

I was really invested in this show at the halfway mark but it took a huge dive off a cliff since then. Kinda don't even care about next season...I'm sure they'll win me back with glossy and intriguing promos a year from now but I'm okay walking away from this show for good while.

zewone

Don't know... legit disappointed. The episode was good, I liked it, however there's something that I can't just explain, in the end I did not like it as a finale. I can't put it in words, so I can't exactly explain why I'm disappointed, sorry.

Really think the highlight of the series were episodes 1-6. It all went downhill after that.

I feel the exact opposite. I felt the show started off kinda iffy. I couldn't really recommend it to anyone initially.

The last few episodes finally started making the show much more interesting and the finale was the best episode of the season. Superb.

i hope we’re done with the rules and reveals and season 2 of westworld doesn’t need to lean on the mystery box to be interesting

Teletraan1

Banned
Good finale, going to be a long wait for this to come back. Knew they would explain some of the things that were bothering people. Some people actively ruined their enjoyment of a pretty great show over nothing. Pointing out plot holes and parroting bad writing when you don't even know the whole plot. Not a good look. This thread got pretty embarrassing at times.

Good finale, but could have been shorter. I just hope next season will be done for next year. This is defiantly not the same quality as in Game of Thrones. It also not the best tv show this year. I prefer the Stranger Things and the Crown over this.

But in the end just take what I say with a grain of salt because it's my opinion.

zewone

Control room lost power

They have phones or some sort of communication. They were able to get the security after the escaping hosts.

Call someone in charge of the trains. It's a plot hole as far as I'm concerned. It didn't really matter since she got off I suppose.

Schnozberry

So, has anybody given much thought to the idea that Ford may have created a host version of himself in that room where he had Bernard kill Theresa? It very well could have been the host version of him that was killed by Dolores, or perhaps his memories or consciousness will live on in host form. The guy was always one step ahead, so having his new narrative kick off with faking his own death would seem to be something he would consider.

Of course, he is the type of character who would take great joy in writing the story of his own death, so it's also possibly we saw exactly what it looked like we saw.

I feel the exact opposite. I felt the show started off kinda iffy. I couldn't really recommend it to anyone initially.

The last few episodes finally started making the show much more interesting and the finale was the best episode of the season. Superb.

To me WW 1-6 felt like something different. 7-10 feels like more of the same. Maybe I think like that because of the way they wrapped up some plots.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
To me WW 1-6 felt like something different. 7-10 feels like more of the same. Maybe I think like that because of the way they wrapped up some plots.

I've felt the exact same way. Like there was a dramatic shift in the sensibilities of the show. Instead of the subversions being done to swerve around what the viewer might expect, they started being done to keep us from getting a glimpse at what's inside the magical mystery box. Episode 6 is when things started getting shaky for me.

Violet_0

Banned
I cannot understand Felix at all

I suspect he is a host too, but not from Westworld - or at least Maeve isn't able to see him as a host

not sure what the Maeve escape plan is all about. So it was obviously a setup, but I can't see clear goal behind it

btw, recreating the beginning of Terminator doesn't seem like the best idea of all time, Ford

oh, what the fuck happened to Logan?

So, has anybody given much thought to the idea that Ford may have created a host version of himself in that room where he had Bernard kill Theresa? It very well could have been the host version of him that was killed by Dolores, or perhaps his memories or consciousness will live on in host form. The guy was always one step ahead, so having his new narrative kick off with faking his own death would seem to be something he would consider.

Of course, he is the type of character who would take great joy in writing the story of his own death, so it's also possibly we saw exactly what it looked like we saw.

I think they left quite a few loose ends but closed up the story nicely considering that they knew it might be a 1 season show

The way they ended it leaves the writers with enough hooks to bring back any of the main cast....mib is not necessarily dead....ford could of cloned himself to kick off the storyline and murder the board

Season 2 could be anything

dabig2

That finale got Spartacus S1 finale at the end there. In other words, fucking amazing. All we were missing was an equivalent to that shield tap hype moment.

We'll see where they go from here. Sounds like the hosts will commandeer the entire place. But I don't see how that just doesn't end with the militaries of the world descending on that place like hornets. I'm guessing a lot of humans are going to be kept as hostages to safeguard against a nuke or orbital bombing or anything of the like.

And man I hope Ford has a host body for himself. Hopkins is too excellent, but I imagine he's probably done with the show after such a finale. Hopefully Ed Harris stays and has a big role in the next season. I can imagine Dolores keeping him as a personal plaything :)

erawsd

The first bit seems to be a pretty popular theory. Personally, I hope not since it dilutes what was great about that ending.

I suspect he is a host too, but not from Westworld - or at least Maeve isn't able to see him as a host

I think Felix is just a "white hat" William type of character who sympathizes with the hosts and is eager to help if he can.

Future

Good ep but too many threads unexplained. We all knew William was MIB so that reveal wasnt much

- who were those native hosts, and where did they take the security dude
- Is Elise dead? Why is Ford so ruthless in killing her she didnt do anything but snoop
- Father with the data in his head. I guess hes out there with the rest of the hosts killing everyone?
- Who was Ford printing?

And I guess Dolores and Maeve were the only 2 hosts that actually seemed to go beyond their loops? Dolores listening to herself and Maeve going after her daughter. I thought Teddy was remembering but it seemed like that was just part of Fords narrative since he just ended up with her exactly where Ford wanted

Security fight was a little weak. Why the hell were they not shooting on sight they are just hosts. So many times they are issuing commands instead of just firing at their heads

Moonkid

Next season twist reveals Ford's return in a new body: Mads Mikkelsen mwahaha.

Overall I don't think the season carried the momentum it built up evenly. Still a lovely show though, and come on folks if they have multiple seasons roughly planned out they're gonna save the inevitable Paranoid Android piano queue for another finale :p.

Hopkins and Harris were the two real highlights of this season. But that should come to no surprise, as they are legendary actors. The rest of the cast ranked between great to somewhat out of place. The actor playing Bernard was fantastic though.

Also was that Samurai World? I was hoping that we would see a glimpse to another "world" this season. Neat touch.

Next season twist reveals Ford's return in a new body: Mads Mikkelsen mwahaha.

Ford does technically exist in the park as a Host. The host that looked like a boy is Robert Ford as a child. But it was also a first generation host.

Top Bottom