• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

One. Why would the train still be running out of Westworld if there's escaping robots killing humans? They wouldn't call to the station to stop all trains because of an emergency? It would not be business as usual. The whole narrative of the prostitute to leave was just dumb and ultimately had no pay off and didn't even really effect the main story (unless it was her who programmed all the hosts in cold storage? I don't think so, but maybe).

Was it? I mean, we get to see her gain sentience, at least she thinks she is. It's revealed she isn't, it's programmed, amd we get to then see the moment where she breaks her programming.

Also, as I understand it, it was Ford that took everyone out of cold storage.

So we never saw Dolores' "dad" get on the train with the "Ford Blackmail data". Is there a chance that Maeve was programmed by Delos to get the data out and all of the shit she started was a program by them to create chaos within WW to prove Ford didn't know what he was doing?

Nah, that was Ford that programmed her.

Makai

The finale was excellent, but still two moments that stood out as stupid to me.

One. Why would the train still be running out of Westworld if there's escaping robots killing humans? They wouldn't call to the station to stop all trains because of an emergency? It would not be business as usual. The whole narrative of the prostitute to leave was just dumb and ultimately had no pay off and didn't even really effect the main story (unless it was her who programmed all the hosts in cold storage? I don't think so, but maybe).

Two. Why would they watch the host cut her arm off and tell her to shut down instead of just shooting her? She's already killed a dozen of your coworkers? Dumb.

Also, they never even mentioned the head of security never coming back from his trip alone last episode.

Besides that, loved the episode.
Control room lost power

Apt101

I am guessing the tables will be turned at the outset of season 2, with the hosts doing the raping and killing. Could be really bleak if the writers will it.

I liked the glimpse of a possible feudal Japanese world (Shogunate World?). I took it as a homage to the film. Rather than being hamfisted and straight up showing Medieval or Roman hosts they put a spin on it.

Looking back, I think Elsie and Felix were my favorite characters of the season.

Lautaro

The only complaint that I have is how dumb were the guards. Worse than stormtroopers.

After this massacre I expect real soldiers invading the park and destroying everything and Dolores and co. trying to survive? I don't know.

The more I think about it, I think Samurai/Shogunworld is in the process of being built or it's in testing. The implications of there being a whole other Delos owned park with what's probably a whole other set of staff (Narrative Director, QA, Behavior, Butchers) going on at the same time as this adds way too many possible plot holes.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
At first Ford's about-face in how he regards Bernard in the finale bugged me, after having previously ordered Bernard to shoot himself for failing to agree with Ford.

But with Ford's thoughts about the nature of suffering, and the indication that Maeve was guided into going down to cold storage where she would of course find Bernard and repair him, I suppose it all was a part of Ford giving Bernard one final lesson about humanity.

The more I think about it, I think Samurai/Shogunworld is in the process of being built or it's in testing. The implications of there being a whole other Delos owned park with what's probably a whole other set of staff (Narrative Director, QA, Behavior, Butchers) going on at the same time as this adds way too many possible plot holes.

My feeling is that hosts can for the moment still only be built and fully programmed at Westworld since Ford was sitting on all the data for host mental architecture. Delos has probably wanted to create more themed parks and Ford was perhaps placating the board by devoting a floor to testing new themes and settings. Probably one of the main reasons Delos wanted the data and wanted Ford gone; so they could proceed with full scale host creation at other sites rather than be bottlenecked by everything having to be done at Westworld.

The only complaint that I have is how dumb were the guards. Worse than stormtroopers.

After this massacre I expect real soldiers invading the park and destroying everything and Dolores and co. trying to survive? I don't know.
To be fair, have they ever had to even fight hosts before? Or shoot them? Would you'd get complacent if you spent years working in a place where you can disable the machines with a voice command

Mega

Banned
^thats the other possibility. They're dumb and soft like the cops in Demolition Man.

They were so stupid I kept thinking maybe they were hosts allowing Maeve her dramatic escape, like a guest in the park playing one of the narratives. We did see that security guard host mid season so it's not inconceivable.

kevin1025

Banned

The way we only see the one room and then they're at the elevator gave me the notion that it's in its infancy. Likely it's that Delos wants to franchise Westworld into the other worlds and this whole slaughter at the party will pause all operations.

Brakke

Banned
The guards got beat by a bunch of "people" that were literarily "born" yesterday. Jobbers all.

Can someone remind me why did Elsie get got? What did she even discover?

The way we only see the one room and then they're at the elevator gave me the notion that it's in its infancy. Likely it's that Delos wants to franchise Westworld into the other worlds and this whole slaughter at the party will pause all operations.
MiB does mention at one point that he owns several worlds besides Westworld.

I thought the show was great overall, but I think the dual storylines should end here. The amount of obfuscation used to disguise the timeline just made Dolores' narrative structure confusing and ultimately vague and unmemorable. I know where she ends up and why, but everything in the middle is a mess. I feel a little like an insane host in a maze, wherein I feel no interest to make sense of the confusion and would rather leave that storyline behind. It's clever but I liked the other twists better.

Brakke

Banned

Delos who? William wouldn't give half a shit about Samurai World. And Boardbabe doesn't care about the operations of the park, she just wanted the tech for other applications.

Lautaro

To be fair, have they ever had to even fight hosts before? Or shoot them? Would you'd get complacent if you spent years working in a place where you can disable the machines with a voice command

Nah, its still too much. The one flaw in a perfect episode IMO.

They were so stupid I kept thinking maybe they were hosts allowing Maeve her dramatic escape, like a guest in the park playing one of the narratives. We did see that security guard host mid season so it's not inconceivable.

I was expecting the same, especially because Bernard almost spoils Maeve storyline for her while reading the tablet.

EDIT: also what happened to the security chief caught by indians? I imagine Season 2 will pick the story right away instead of making a time skip.

Mega

Banned

Same thought. Delos wanted the inner secrets of building advanced hosts in order to expand operations to many types of parks. If Samurai World is up and running, maybe it only has crude machines like in the 34 years ago time period. Although it's a little hard to swallow that in nearly four decades Ford and Arnold are the only two that figured out advanced robotics.

zeemumu

Same thought. Delos wanted the inner secrets of building advanced hosts in order to expand operations to many types of parks. If Samurai World is up and running, maybe it only has crude machines like in the 34 years ago time period. Although it's a little hard to swallow that in nearly four decades Ford and Arnold are the only two that figured out advanced robotics.

There were 6 worlds, right?

JP_

Banned
I've stayed away from this thread to avoid spoilers. I imagine someone else thought it odd that Ford made Bernard looks exactly like Arnold (we were shown photos right?)? As if nobody else had any photos or visual knowledge of one of the park's co-creators and Arnold's clone going by a different name but having the same backstory isn't conspicuous.

Also, now that we know the timeline is longer than we thought -- do we know how long ago Ford made Bernard? Hoping it was more recent, considering Bernard is modeled after Arnold ~35 years ago and doesn't seem to age.

Eh, I wasn't moved by the ending and overall can say I'm not impressed by the show. I'm sorry Nolan, I love PoI but this ain't cutting it for me. There are just too many holes and leaps of logic for me to enjoy the show. As others have mentioned it gives me LOST vibes where the mystery is given more focus than actual plot and character development. Though at least to WW's credit the mysteries at least have answers that make some sense or rather at the very least they had planned answers (whether they make sense is another discussion.)

I just don't get the world of Westworld. How is any of this allowed? Who would allow such a remarkable invention to be wasted on an amusement park? Why hasn't the military co-opted these machines? Have they already? I can't think of a more useful tool than robots that can look like humans but programmed to kill and fight our wars. Why is nobody watching surveillance footage live? How are these engineers able to just fuck around with these expensive ass hosts and not get caught? How do bullets work in the park? How was William able to do everything he did to Logan without someone intervening? In fact, how does the park stop guests from murdering each other? How could you even tell who was a host or who is a guest? Okay, so they've turned against their masters, why isn't the next step for the military to nuke the park?

And, finally a real BIG question I've been having since the start, why are the hosts confined to their physical bodies? If they are just software why doesn't Maeve or whoever just upload their consciousness/programming onto their main computer network and basically become Skynet? You see they aren't Cylons, they aren't made to be organic with the only difference being that they weren't "born." They are shown to be exactly what they are, machines encoded with software that can be changed on a dime. So why does the show keep acting like they are also restricted like humans to their bodies? Why didn't Maeve shut down their pain receptors or whatever they use to mimic pain? Pain isn't useful in a combat situation and we know it can be shut off as we've seen the hosts when prompted ignore serious injury/pain.

I just don't get it nor do I care for these characters or feel any sympathy for them. It's like feeling sympathy for Skynet. Hey, maybe if you open negotiations with, "we're conscious please stop hurting us." We'd have less cause to be afraid. But, when you open your big reveal to the world with a massacre of every human in sight you are essentially declaring war on the human race. And, as a human in that world who had no idea about your new found consciousness I'm afraid I can't let that slide and believe the only response to your actions is to annihilate you.

I really think the board's plans are way beyond opening different themed parks. More than once when they alluded to said plans they basically mocked the fact that the tech was being used just so people could play cowboy. They probably want it for something bigger like military contracting or something.

kevin1025

Banned
MiB does mention at one point that he owns several worlds besides Westworld.

I took that as him bragging about the power he holds, like he holds sway over Westworld and the real world. Though maybe you're right!

Delos who? William wouldn't give half a shit about Samurai World. And Boardbabe doesn't care about the operations of the park, she just wanted the tech for other applications.

That's true. Maybe it's just a park mandate. I'm talking out of my ass honestly, haha.

JP_

Banned
I really think the board's plans are way beyond opening different themed parks. More than once when they alluded to said plans they basically mocked the fact that the tech was being used just so people could play cowboy. They probably want it for something bigger like military contracting or something.

Isn't that why they were trying to upload data to that satellite? Ford was stopping them from using it for other applications, which is why they wanted to boot him (after ensuring he couldn't sabotage it...).

Mega

Banned
Elsie got choked to death by Bernard, we saw on a memory

We saw Bernard putting her in a chokehold and twice it cut away before we definitively saw her dead. There is no body. Stubbs disappeared following her trail (map ping identified as "Elsie"). This goes deeper than "they're both dead." Or else we would have seen their bodies already.

Klocker

We saw Bernard putting her in a chokehold and twice it cut away before we definitively saw her dead. There is no body. Stubbs disappeared following her trail (map ping identified as "Elsie"). This goes deeper than "they're both dead." Or else we would have seen their bodies already.

Possibly

kevin1025

Banned
"Delos Destinations"

Westworld certainly isn't the only park that Delos owns

That's a good point! So the other worlds definitely do exist in some form or another at this point in the story, just uncertain at this point which ones there are beyond the singular Samurai World shown so far.

UberLevi

We see Theresa at a couple of points talking to Asian businessmen and her and corporate were wanting to smuggle all the data out of Westworld, presumably so they could keep the park running after Ford retired. But now I'm thinking they wanted to upload the 35 years of park data to Samurai World and Ford was completely unaffiliated, and perhaps opposed, to Samurai World and probably any other spin-off park themes so they couldn't get his go ahead to fast-track the new themeworlds.

So how did the photo get all the way from the church to Abernathy's house? Did it take the train?

It fell out at the church, which Dolores has visited many times while trying to complete the maze.
Perhaps she found it before and brought it back to the ranch where it ended up in the dirt.

duckroll

Sadist World
Salem World
Samurai World
Sexy World
Shinobi World
Shitty World
Shogun World
Shooting World
Showtime World
Sin World
Sushi World
SyFy World

Jetman

Haha, how would anyone think anything other than "Samurai World" when seeing that SW?
My friend said Shanghai World when she saw samurai hahaha. I had to remind her Samurai were from Japan.

kirblar

So we never saw Dolores' "dad" get on the train with the "Ford Blackmail data". Is there a chance that Maeve was programmed by Delos to get the data out and all of the shit she started was a program by them to create chaos within WW to prove Ford didn't know what he was doing?
Maeve was part of Ford's plan. She was supposed to ressurect Bernard.

Her going back to her daughter? Not part of the plan. edit: maybe not, need to rewatch

Top Bottom