• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

-griffy-

Banned
Phil Noto did this cool piece:
tumblr_ohq0jvr3ql1qhyhwto1_1280.jpg

NOw here is what i dont understand

how does a season 2 even occur

we are talking massive cover up and basically the machines in charge of the park

I suppose they machine machine copies of the humans they killed and slowly hatch a plan the entice top human power players into the park to eventually replace them and take over the world?

ZOONAMI

MIB William's explanations didn't strike me as being particularly sincere. They're contradictory to his actions in some ways. His daughter was right about the darkness in him. He just wants an excuse to create chaos in the park because that's who he really is. He doesn't care about the sentience of the hosts, etc. He only cares about his own desires.

Yeah my biggest problem with the ep is that Dolores absolutely broke the shit out of his arm was in process of killing him until he gave her a fatal stab wound and he just shrugs it off like he wasn't in any real danger complaining to Ford? What's the point blah blah, blah if this isn't real, wtf. If you stab someone in the gut like that in real life most likely they aren't going to keep coming at you either.

I'm sure Dolores never displayed that kind of force and he didn't really give her a chance to actually kill him. What the fuck does he want? Clearly it's like he wants to die but simultaneously refuses to let it happen when it actually seems to be in the process of happening.

In other words, William/mib is just a whiny rich asshole.

And then he's too dumb to figure out the maze and what actually just happened with dolores, so I guess AH rightfully just let's him stew a bit longer until the host herd shoots him.

Other than that, excellent episode.

The Maeve storyline now makes at least some sense as a plan to distract the security forces away from the gala.

Fantastic season with outstanding performanes by Dolores's actress, man in black and Antony Hopkins. But seriously, the hole that is left from Hopkin's character's death will be huge to fill in for next season. It's a damn shame we won't see him anymore.

Ferrio

Banned
So I think the whole park terminal shutting down thing that's happening with Maeve is in her head. Only because...where the hell are the humans? If it was in lock down b/c of what happened with Ford then surely you'd see humans running around trying to get to the terminal.

No it really happened. It was the show nailing in the point of how fake the park is. When there's no humans around the illusion fades. It had nothing to do with the lockdown, it was just normal energy saving procedures.

William seemed pretty happy about being shot, getting what he's wanted.

It probably wasn't intended but I LOL's at Ford's "fuck ya'll I'm out" speech just before Delores killed him.

Theorry

Fantastic season with outstanding performanes by Dolores's actress, man in black and Antony Hopkins. But seriously, the hole that is left from Hopkin's character's death will be huge to fill in for next season. It's a damn shame we won't see him anymore.

Who knows. Maybe the host he was building was a body of him.

Who knows. Maybe the host he was building was a body of him.
Maybe. Dolores would have known if it was a sentient though, no? Same as Maeve did with Bernard. Unless it was all part of Ford's plan and Dolores understood she had to make it seem he was dead in case there were survivors.. Its far fetched but it's a possibility I guess..
Maybe they can get Vince Vaughn in there.
Legit lol'd on that one. Good one

Maybe. Dolores would have known if it was a sentient though, no? Same as Maeve did with Bernard. Unless it was all part of Ford's plan and Dolores understood she had to make it seem he was dead in case there were survivors.. Its far fetched but it's a possibility I gurss..

Seems somewhat likely

At the very least they need to hide the fact they murdered so many human beings somehow

Im guessing they just build machine versions of them but... i dont know how they make teh machine versions blend in completely unless they have a way to extract human memories

NOw here is what i dont understand

how does a season 2 even occur

we are talking massive cover up and basically the machines in charge of the park

I suppose they machine machine copies of the humans they killed and slowly hatch a plan the entice top human power players into the park to eventually replace them and take over the world?

I don't think the machines will take over. I imagine they will have a time skip, the hosts eventually put down, but the park now has the problem of their evolving robots. Imagine getting the park back under control and trying to "fix" the problems will be a major aspect of it.

Or some who survive, will become "rebels" within the world of the park, trying to free the other hosts, etc

I don't think the machines will take over. I imagine they will have a time skip, the hosts eventually put down, but the park now has the problem of their evolving robots. Imagine getting the park back under control and trying to "fix" the problems will be a major aspect of it.

no way?

like even how? I imagine there is a counter measure in place though

I forgot about the robot they smuggled out with all the data (dolores father)

That said with all the deaths from the party... even one dead person at the hands of a robotic AI would spark such a heavy response from the world at large.

Shit we are already weary of it now

holygeesus

Banned
yeah that kind of how i feel about it

like the endgame is basically how sentient AI lifeforms either

1 - take full control of their safe space with no one being the wiser

2 - build up to install themselves as the new race for the entire world

Nolan said in the brief interview after the HBO stream, that the 2nd season's premise would be 'chaos' whatever he means by that.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Nolan said in the brief interview after the HBO stream, that the 2nd season's premise would be 'chaos' whatever he means by that.

The threat of a new, hyper advanced lifeform that's absolutely pissed and how to contain it. Its a paradigm shift that's gonna be interesting to see play out. How that'll work into ten more hours, no idea.

the way i see it

if the outside world ever got wind of homicidal fully aware AI robots killing humans

thats like straight up snuff out immediately territory. Fire and brimstone

I think part of why they didnt immediately kill William is that maybe someone understands that key people at the party will either need to be kept alive or replaced (by robots)

Vengal

That's also programming, that was the point of the milk guys scene. He was getting shot up and not dying because he doesn't really have to die. They have physiology that looks human but with different rules. They never really showed what truely kills a host

Are they magic then? I thought the point of showing exactly how much fluid was in them was to show how they worked. They are wet wear but that still requires coolant and other lubricants to keep that system moving.

They aren't terminators, we've seen the insides of the current generation. They are organic, with some similar weaknesses. When Bernard shot himself in the head Felix had to first fix the wound before he could be rebooted. Implying that the head is a pretty big weakness. They also mentioned how powerful their processors were in the past but they weren't on a server and are local to the host.

Maev also is apparently unable to network with any of the technology in the park outside of typing fast on the tablet and verbal commands. So the hosts don't, at least as of yet, have any means to use digital communication with anything.

no way?

like even how? I imagine there is a counter measure in place though

I forgot about the robot they smuggled out with all the data (dolores father)

That said with all the deaths from the party... even one dead person at the hands of a robotic AI would spark such a heavy response from the world at large.

Shit we are already weary of it now

William and any survivors are likely gonna try and cover this up, we of course don't know what the world is like outside the park either, but of course the original Westworld movie did get a sequel, where they basically tried again after the huge tragedy of the first park. And of course we saw same with Jurrasic Park sequels.

Really depends if the 2nd season continues where the firs leaves off or we gonna have a bit of a time jump.

Rur0ni

Man is black is Ed Harris, have some respect!

Are they magic then? I thought the point of showing exactly how much fluid was in them was to show how they worked. They are wet wear but that still requires coolant and other lubricants to keep that system moving.
That was the milk he was drinking pouring out.

William and any survivors are likely gonna try and cover this up, we of course don't know what the world is like outside the park either, but of course the original Westworld movie did get a sequel, where they basically tried again after the huge tragedy of the first park. And of course we saw same with Jurrasic Park sequels.

Really depends if the 2nd season continues where the firs leaves off or we gonna have a bit of a time jump.

Well its not like the Hosts are terminators or are as numerous as humans

They are still quite vulnerable even if they are capable

https://www.thrillist.com/entertain...2-premiere-date-plot-cast-what-we-know-so-far

The differences between humans and hosts will be explored
"[The hosts'] construction and their power source is something we're really going to get into during Season 2... They're closer to biological than they are to mechanical, but they don't suffer brain death the same way we do. They're largely indistinguishable from a human beings, but their brains don’t require oxygen -- which opens up interesting possibilities. Their brains are not as fragile as ours. On one hand, their cognition is controllable and malleable, but on a structural level they can’t be killed in the same way you and I can. There are advantages and disadvantages to being a host. Season 2 we’ll be exploring more the nuts and bolts of what they are -- as the hosts themselves are trying to understand." -- Nolan (to Entertainment Weekly)

This article has some interesting preview info like how season 2 will explore how hosts actually work mechanically and biologically.

Artificial intelligence isnt quite enough of a weapon to conquer the world and that might not even be the aspiration of the hosts anyways

-griffy-

Banned
Oh one thing from the finale. People complained last week about why Maeve would bother burning herself alive instead of just dying an easier way, and we learned that she did this so she would be fully rebuilt and they could replace the explosive in her spine with a clean vertebrae, of course.

Oh one thing from the finale. People complained last week about why Maeve would bother burning herself alive instead of just dying an easier way, and we learned that she did this so she would be fully rebuilt and they could replace the explosive in her spine with a clean vertebrae, of course.

Which is interesting since the hosts are still gonna be trapped in the park cause of the explosives. It will be a crutch keeping them in while the humans are trying to get things back in order

Oh well that seems obvious haha! I like thise small details but ive been conditioned to not really complain about them too much

Storytellers that focus on the small details and hols are great but I found fighting over that stuff ruins my enjoyment of the medium

Nice catch either way

Well its not like the Hosts are terminators or are as numerous as humans

They are still quite vulnerable even if they are capable

https://www.thrillist.com/entertain...2-premiere-date-plot-cast-what-we-know-so-far

The differences between humans and hosts will be explored
"[The hosts'] construction and their power source is something we're really going to get into during Season 2... They're closer to biological than they are to mechanical, but they don't suffer brain death the same way we do. They're largely indistinguishable from a human beings, but their brains don’t require oxygen -- which opens up interesting possibilities. Their brains are not as fragile as ours. On one hand, their cognition is controllable and malleable, but on a structural level they can’t be killed in the same way you and I can. There are advantages and disadvantages to being a host. Season 2 we’ll be exploring more the nuts and bolts of what they are -- as the hosts themselves are trying to understand." -- Nolan (to Entertainment Weekly)

This article has some interesting preview info like how season 2 will explore how hosts actually work mechanically and biologically.

Artificial intelligence isnt quite enough of a weapon to conquer the world and that might not even be the aspiration of the hosts anyways
That's an interesting question. With consciousness comes "what does it mean to be a host". How does a host-driven society function without the need to eat or sleep or even learn or be taught because you can just change your own self parameters at while? What does that look like?

Which is interesting since the hosts are still gonna be trapped in the park cause of the explosives. It will be a crutch keeping them in while the humans are trying to get things back in order

Do deactivated hosts (the ones storming the party) still have active explosives? They didn't seem to factor that into the plan of getting Papa Abernathy out of the park.

Solo

I feel like the response to Hopkins' performance is such that they'll find a way to get him in S2. He'll be a host version of Ford and they'll pay Hopkins more and everyone will be happy.

Top Bottom