• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Snippets from a bunch of interviews with Nolan and Joy.

- Variety: ‘Westworld’ Creators on Why HBO Drama Won’t Return Before 2018
At this point there aren’t many humans to kick around anymore. Most of them are either dead or missing or revealed to be hosts. Going into season two, will you be focusing even more on the hosts, with the humans relegated to either helper or adversary roles?

Nolan: Not necessarily. One of the great things about this omnibus, ensemble storytelling that HBO has mastered is the ability to shift that perspective and find empathy for different people, and that’s something that we want to continue to play with throughout.

Where are you at in terms of work on the second season?

Joy: We’ve started working on scripts and outlines. It’s looking good. It’s looking very ambitious. There’s some surprises and bits of it that you won’t see coming. I’m having fun.

Nolan: It’s an ambitious project, and HBO has encouraged us to take the time and resources that we need to work on each stage of that. I love television. One of the fun things about television is that sometimes you find yourself in this place where you have to wear all these hats at once. You have to write, shoot, and cut simultaneously. We wanted to in the second season spend some more time writing, then switch gears into production, then cut. So we’re not going to follow the annual year-on-year tradition of television. Television’s changing. And the ambition of the project is such that we’re going to take our time to get the second season right.
- THR: 'Westworld' Showrunners Explain Violent Finale, Set Up Season 2's Expanding World
Ford is no longer the last man standing, thanks to Dolores. Why did Ford need to die in order for this revolution to begin?

Joy: It's a little bit like when Arnold says: "The violence has to be real. The stakes have to be real." Ford is doing this in such dramatic fashion in front of the Delos board. He's basically taking the safety off. There's no turning back from this. It's not a kind of fiction anymore. I think that's part of it.

Nolan: We talked about the Julian Jaynes book [called The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind], which we thought was a very interesting place to start in terms of understanding the hosts' cognition. They would be coaxed into life by this voice of god, and then at a certain point, this god has to realize that his partner was right. The appetites of the audience they were catering to and the story they were telling wasn't what they wanted it to be. These creatures had grown into sentience within that story. They realize the only way for these creatures to be truly free is for that god to die. If on a very literal level, if Ford's voice is the last thing … we've established his voice as an almost telepathic control of the park. The only thing standing between the guests and the hosts is Ford, so he removes himself from that equation.

Will we see Anthony Hopkins in season two?

Nolan: I think with this show, you want to assume nothing. We had a wonderful experience. It was one of the greatest privileges of my career so far, getting to work with Anthony for the first season. It was an incredible experience.
Maeve was this close to escaping the park. Will we ever see the outside world, or learn more about it? Is the state of the world a major mystery and/or player in the mythology, to your mind?

Nolan: As Lisa said, we wanted our narrative to follow a simple set of rules, which is that the hosts don't know much about the world that's around them, and therefore neither should the audience. As the seasons go by and our hosts begin to understand a bit more about that world — and this applies to the last question as well — this series is called Westworld. So Westworld the place and the idea of it remains central to our story as we go forward. But the hosts are going to become more curious about what else there is in this world for them to understand and explore. That's where we want our show to go as well.
- Deadline: ‘Westworld’ Finale Postmortem: EP Jonathan Nolan On Season 2’s Samurai World, Missing Characters & Dr. Ford’s Fate
— Nolan is hoping to have Samurai World play out in Season 2. We caught a glimpse of it — the combat room — when Maeve and her posse were having a shootout through the park’s basement control center. Another indication that more lands reside than the Old West: Maeve’s note from Felix that the location of her daughter is in Park 1. You’ll remember that the Michael Crichton’s original 1973 movie included Roman World and Medieval World.

— Is Anthony Hopkins’ Dr. Ford dead? “Well, that version of Ford is dead,” confirms Nolan. Remember, it’s Westworld, the place where robots never die.

— Did Dolores’ dad, Peter Abernathy (Louis Herthum), smuggle intel out of the park as Charlotte Hale (Tessa Thompson) indicated at one point during the episode? Teases Nolan, “Well, he’s not in cold storage and I didn’t see him on the train,” adding that “it was a delight” to work with Herthum on the pilot.

— Where are park workers Elsie and Stubbs? She was kidnapped by Bernard a few episodes back, and Stubbs (Luke Hemsworth) was cornered by Ghost Nation natives in Episode 9. Nolan, Joy and staff have provided themselves with an embarrassment of riches. “We have things to circle back to and tee up for next season,” says Nolan, adding “stay tuned” in regards to the duo’s whereabouts. “We can’t leave that story hanging,” adds Nolan.
More via the links.

Salsa

Yea it was the perfect way of reminding the audience how shit the show can be at times.

"Freeze all motor functions"

Dude what the fuck are you doing?

show walks a thin line of on one side being this cool psychological asimov-ish story of what consciousness is, but then it also has to be oh TERMINATORS and guards have fuckin stormtrooper aim

the William is Ed Harris thing being such a big reveal also felt weird with it being so obvious. kinda cheesy. but I guess you can't escape that. I appreciate the show's journey into consciousness and what the hosts deserve much more than all this other stuff. At a certain point it really does manage to reach a place where you dont know who to root for; thats cool.

Jarmel

Banned
show walks a thin line of on one side being this cool psychological asimov-ish story of what consciousness is, but then it also has to be oh TERMINATORS and guards have fuckin stormtrooper aim

the WilliaMIB thing being such a big reveal also felt weird with it being so obvious. kinda cheesy. but I guess you can't escape that. I appreciate the show's journey into consciousness and what the hosts deserve much more than all this other stuff. At a certain point it really does manage to reach a place where you dont know who to root for; thats cool.

I loved the aspect that even some of the hosts are shocked at the violence, Bernard and Teddy. Makes it more interesting, sort of like Battlestar Galactica, if there is infighting in the robot faction. Makes all the robot characters more interesting as a result as some are deliberately choosing violence.

Jarmel

Banned
Ford was so unbelievably smug while delivering that speech at the end. He was laughing with every line and Hopkins nailed it.

Salsa

also if they introduce Ford-bot at any point I think I straight up drop out

I have a lot more faith in the show than to do those sci-fi tropes

like, either if robot-ford was who was killed, or if Ford somehow, y'know UPLOADS HIS CONCSIOUSNESS INTO A ROBOT TO LIVE FOREVER!

fuck that shit. Im SO glad they never introduced that. Bernard is not Arnold. The only time they showed (allegedly) same consciousness going to a different body was host -> host (maeve)

carlsojo

You have a bunch of super elite rich people here and the best security you can provide are guards fresh from the mall.

It looks like they have the best weapons and armor buuuut they basically have absolutely nothing to do all day every day. Their training probably sucks. What's there to train for? Hell, Ford probably hires shitty people into security on purpose so they don't figure out what he's doing. There hasn't been a critical failure in over 30 years.

The only guy who didn't seem entirely incompetent is fighting Ghost Nation in the park somewhere.

Salsa

It looks like they have the best weapons and armor buuuut they basically have absolutely nothing to do all day every day. Their training probably sucks. What's there to train for? Hell, Ford probably hires shitty people into security on purpose so they don't figure out what he's doing. There hasn't been a critical failure in over 30 years.

The only guy who didn't seem entirely incompetent is fighting Ghost Nation in the park somewhere.

like, I get what you're saying

but nah

you have a fucking tank in that place

it's easily the show's biggest flaw and I hope (assume actually) they know it going forward

and I mean both the guards and the surveillance in general. I wanted to believe till the finale for an explanation but it wasnt there.

Vyer

I like pretty much everything here. Also really looking forward to seeing more of this 'universe' revealed. Samurai World included.

Jarmel

Banned
Season 2 should be great as it should show the outside world's reaction to the event. I have to imagine a military force is going to be mobilized.

Joni

You have a bunch of super elite rich people here and the best security you can provide are guards fresh from the mall.

Because what is the worst thing that could happen in the park, when you only get super elite rich people in your park and no one else can get near it? They're mall cops in an elite mall that makes sure no poor people get in at another point.

Salsa

Because what is the worst thing that could happen in the park, when you only get super elite rich people in your park and no one else can get near it? They're mall cops in an elite mall that makes sure no poor people get in at another point.

yo put up a turret and a man handling it so it doesnt get "hacked"

this logic only gets you so far

Double D

Is Felix the only human alive* that knows Bernard is a host?

*Ford isn't dead. We all know that, despite not wanting to admit it.

Salsa

He is really screwed next season because he got shot in the other arm

on purpose, tho

Ford is keeping him alive and the hosts can finally "fight back". that's what the smile is for, to me; not so much that he suddenly realized his life's purpose or laughed at his demise by being outplayed, but the fact that he's now in the game he always wanted.

Jarmel

Banned

The staff is aware of the danger from the robots, hence the security measures and there actually being military/police on hand. There should be remote kill switches in the bombs in their backs but whatever.

Not to mention some of those people would have their own private security guards with them.

Mall cops in a place where you never expect to be in danger and if you are, you can stop a crime with your voice

Guys there is a logical explanation for the guards being so shit.

They're programmed that way.

1o3hOY2.jpg

Salsa

Guys there is a logical explanation for the guards being so shit.

They're programmed that way.

like yeah, I hoped for this reveal at least

my issue goes beyond guards being shit aim for cool action tho, just security and surveillance measures in general

it only jumps out as much because most other aspects seem much more meticulously taken care of in the writing

- EW Interview: Westworld showrunners
Do you have a tease for season 2 you’re willing to make at this point?

NOLAN: No [laughs].

JOY: I’m trying to think!

NOLAN: We talked about the idea that the first season has been the hosts expanding understanding of the situation they’re in. There is an awful lot left to explore.

JOY: I think part of it is we’ve looked at the hosts trying to become aware of the reality of their situation and who they are. To hear their own voices. That’s where we’ve gotten to at the end of this season. Now the thing we get to explore is once they’ve heard their own voices and once they’ve embraced who they are, what choices will they make? It speaks to a thing of how identity constantly evolves. They were steeped and raised in violence. These violent delights did indeed have violent ends at the end of the season. And I think we’re going to see how that pendulum swings going forward.

This first season, there were so many intricately plotted mysteries that led to so many explanations and revelations at the end. Now that this group of characters and park history has been established, do you anticipate the second season to be somewhat less mystery driven in terms of the number of questions you raise and then have to explain along the way? Or will season 2 be every bit as much a puzzle box as season 1?

NOLAN: The puzzle of it all was never the focus for us. We had a unique opportunity here with a set of protagonist hosts whose situation is unique. They don’t age the way we do. They’re not really equipped to understand the distinction between their memories and the present tense. The show is not about people, it’s about these creatures whose cognition and understanding the world around them is markedly different from ours. And it suggested a form of storytelling that – hopefully in a pleasurable way – allowed the audience to find themselves in at the deep end in our story. As every season moves forward, the audience hopefully has more of a connection to our hosts and how they understand the world. We take that mechanism — which, in the first season, caused Dolores in particular so much hurt and betrayal — to realize she’s been conflating the one person who represented a glimmer of hope for her with her worst enemy, and all the emotional wreckage of that. Then we’ll take a character who can explore her past and future with that level of understanding and continue to explore how that storytelling works. Not with an eye toward a puzzle, but with an eye toward hopefully delighting the audience. It’s not for everyone, but this is the sort of stuff Lisa and I love. We want to continue to grow our ambition in terms of how this form of storytelling works.

KahooTs

Man in Black wants a park where the hosts can shoot back, for the game to not be rigged. For inexplicable reasons he believes solving a puzzle set out by the long deceased designer will achieve this, one assumes, as that's the only motivation he's provided for what he's been doing all season.

Man in Black also owns the park and could have, at any point in time, ordered Ford to make the hosts do whatever he wanted, including shoot back to unrig the game.

It's just a mess of stupid.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I guess for me the fact that the plotlines paid off in ways that everyone had predicted doesn't come off as a negative for me because I saw it more as the plotting being consistent enough that if you tried hard enough you could actually come up with valid reasons why something happened instead of out of nowhere bullshit.

I also liked the fact that despite how "alive" the hosts seem, its pretty questionable whether any of them have any kind of consciousness at all or whether they're just really complicated programs doing what they're supposed to. I mean, we also don't know how people define "consciousness." To some extent, living breathing humans do what they do as a result of their internal biological programming.

Salsa

Man in Black wants a park where the hosts can shoot back, for the game to not be rigged. For inexplicable reasons he believes solving a puzzle set out by the long deceased designer will achieve this, one assumes, as that's the only motivation he's provided for what he's been doing all season.

Man in Black also owns the park and could have, at any point in time, ordered Ford to make the hosts do whatever he wanted, including shoot back to unrig the game.

wut

he owns a majority of the shares of the thing. he's the money. there's a board. he cantt just make ford make hosts kill people

he's happy he finally did by himself and for his own means

Jarmel

Banned
Mall cops in a place where you never expect to be in danger and if you are, you can stop a crime with your voice

Well considering the opening episode showed the leader (guy who got grabbed by the Indians) expressing his concern about the dangers of the hosts, and doing so multiple times over the course of the series, I have to imagine they would have been trained for such emergency situations. It's not like he was complacent (although he did get dumb in the end) and trusted them completely.

Joni

The staff is aware of the danger from the robots, hence the security measures and there actually being military/police on hand. There should be remote kill switches in the bombs in their backs but whatever.

And then you have to go back. What actual guarding/security work do you see them do? They hunt stray hosts which they turn off with their tablets and voice commands, they approve safety measures like stuff blowing up, ...

yo put up a turret and a man handling it so it doesnt get "hacked"

this logic only gets you so far

Or you put up some security camera's and then handle your entire security to the computer settings.

Well considering the opening episode showed the leader (guy who got grabbed by the Indians) expressing his concern about the dangers of the hosts, and doing so multiple times over the course of the series, I have to imagine they would have been trained for such emergency situations. It's not like he was complacent (although he did get dumb in the end) and trusted them completely.

His preparation for confronting hosts was yelling at them and using his tablet. He might think them dangerous, but he doesn't actually do something to protect himself. Because he is just a mall cop.

Salsa

I guess for me the fact that the plotlines paid off in ways that everyone had predicted doesn't come off as a negative for me because I saw it more as the plotting being consistent enough that if you tried hard enough you could actually come up with valid reasons why something happened instead of out of nowhere bullshit.

I can see some people feeling disappointed by seeing shit coming but that's how these things should always work

unless you get a cheap thrill out of deus ex machinas, or something

-griffy-

Banned
I think a logical explanation for the guards sucking is that they've never had to fight against hosts so capable of fighting back. Maeve/Ford/Arnold's upgrades likely made them more dangerous than any rogue host they had encountered before. Usually a "freeze all motor functions" would stop them, and if that failed they were probably malfunctioning or going "crazy" in some other way that made them easy to take down with a couple of shots.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I can see some people feeling disappointed by seeing shit coming but that's how these things should always work

unless you get a cheap thrill out of deus ex machinas, or something

I just kind of felt like the show rewarded you for paying close attention and/or rewatching stuff vs. what a mystery show like Lost did where it was pointless to speculate since out-of-the-blue random shit could happen.

I think a logical explanation for the guards sucking is that they've never had to fight against hosts so capable of fighting back. Maeve/Ford/Arnold's upgrades likely made them more dangerous than any rogue host they had encountered before. Usually a "freeze all motor functions" would stop them, and if that failed they were probably malfunctioning or going "crazy" in some other way that made them easy to take down with a couple of shots.

I assume they're just random security guards and not an elite fighting force and the hosts in question are programmed to be at least good at killing other hosts (notwithstanding whatever changes Maeve had Felix make).

KahooTs

wut

he owns a majority of the shares of the thing. he's the money. there's a board. he cantt just make ford make hosts kill people

he's happy he finally did by himself and for his own means

He's a majority shareholder, he has a better line on turning the park into what he wants that way than running around in the park for 30 years solving quest lines.

DarkestHour

Banned
That was freaking awesome.

I think the William > MiB turn was a bit abrupt. We never really got to see him go full MiB, he kind of just snaps and is slaughtering people left and right (off screen).

Sad Ford is dead. Unless deals get made and they make that a host copy. Or maybe the host copy leads the other hosts to freedom.

I do wonder where they go with it, do they stay there and form their own society? Keep dressing in western clothes? Try to be accepted by humans, try and wipe us out?

What if the Ford that got shot was a robot??

Jarmel

Banned
And then you have to go back. What actual guarding/security work do you see them do? They hunt stray hosts which they turn off with their tablets and voice commands, they approve safety measures like stuff blowing up, ...

How often do we see anybody in this show doing their job other than Q&A and da butchers? It doesn't mean they weren't working but rather the show had primary interests elsewhere.

His preparation for confronting hosts was yelling at them and using his tablet. He might think them dangerous, but he doesn't actually do something to protect himself. Because he is just a mall cop.

Didn't he pull out his gun before he got Clever Girl'd? Seems like he was going to shoot them then and the crew in the first episode was also a little trigger happy hence Bernard's line about not shooting their boss.

Salsa

this is just an infinite circle of people who either choose to be satisfied with this answer or dont

some do, I dont, and I guess that's fine

it depends on how much scrutiny you put into the show's groundedness; I dont think in any sort of foreseeable future or possibility in where this place exists in the real world you wouldnt put fuckin TOP grade military security the SECOND these "robots" start looking and acting exactly like real people.

No he couldn't, that's the entire point of the season. No once could force Ford to do anything, when they thought they finally had he killed everyone.

William's motivation is a disenchantment with humanity and the emptiness that he feels and wanting something "more."

Angry Grimace

I'm not even that sad that Ford is apparently dead - I like the idea of the hosts having to cope with all of the stuff that happened on their own (or with the remaining staff who have less authority than Ford did) as opposed to every plotline being led by a practically omnipotent chessmaster.

Example: Maeve's entire storyline turning out to be programmed angle was neat, but it would be pretty annoying if they return to that well over and over because Ford's got some kind of super intricate plan and is responsible for everything. We already have that storyline going with several plotlines being tied to "Arnold's legacy code" and don't really need MORE of that.

Salsa

Ford's storyline is just done. The twist is that he was pro-host the entire time (of this season's timeline I mean) and not simply the "villain", really.

It's just that; a plot-twist in which he actually finally understood Arnold but took him some time to do so, and is now doing and improving upon what he did, which relies on him recieving the same fate.

Heck; him not being in Season 2 even serves as a metaphor for the finale's whole message; park's alive now, robots are getting conscious, game is even, there's no need for him, they'll figure shit out and that's the whole point. He had to remove himself.

hydruxo

Agreed. I think if any of them were working there for long enough then they'd sort of be lulled into a false sense of security, so they weren't exactly as prepared as people are thinking they should have been.

Nodnol

What a superb finale, even with a lot of the major plot points having been guessed.

Hell, I even guessed that Ford had grown tired of Delos and had wanted to right the wrong he made with Arnold...I even guessed that when "Wyatt" executed the chap in the chair, that that was actually Arnold. *smug self-high-five*

I liked how it played with expectation though...for a second, I thought it was all a ploy by Ford to maintain control. His One to his Matrix. That Maeve and Dolores would always rebel, so he created an elaborate loop.

Instead though, we got what I as expecting.

Like Bernard being a host though, along with Bernard = Arnold, the delivery made the expectation irrelevant. Hopkins has been a delight this season, and his final few scenes were brilliant.

I also liked the action/violence of the rebelling hosts. Maeve and Hector at al...very cool. I like when Felix questioned his own identity when confronted with Bernard, or how taken back Hector was with the modern weapons.

Most of all, as it has been all season, it's Dolores that I find myself being drawn to more than anyone. There's something beautiful, along with Maeve, in the ability to make an independent decision.

I for one, welcome our new host overlords. Roll on season 2.

-griffy-

Banned
Agreed. I think if any of them were working there for long enough then they'd sort of be lulled into a false sense of security, so they weren't exactly as prepared as people are thinking they should have been.
Yeah I think one of the recurring themes of the season is humans constantly under-estimating the hosts. They fancied themselves gods and thought they had total control, but as was pointed out in the finale, "The gods are pussies."

Hydrargyrus

I'm done with this show.

The entire season and the next one were totaly foreseeable once they started the Maeve's arc.
I still kept some hopes to see a Ford's master move against Delos at the season finale... but what a lame finale!

I guess Hopkins is too expensive for the budget.

Since the beginning of Maeve' story, they treat the expectator as if they were stupid.
It was very easy to spot that William was the MiB and the different time lines.

I really hope HBO find a good show to replace the space they want to fill once Game Of Thrones ends, because WW fails almost in everything they try

I'm done with this show.

The entire season and the next one were totaly foreseeable once they started the Maeve's arc.
I still kept some hopes to see a Ford's master move against Delos at the season finale... but what a lame finale!

It was very easy to spot that William was the MiB and the different time lines.
It was only possible because the writers and creators deliberately placed clues and hints for you to decipher. That's one of the show's strength

KahooTs

No he couldn't, that's the entire point of the season. No once could force Ford to do anything, when they thought they finally had he killed everyone.

William's motivation is a disenchantment with humanity and the emptiness that he feels and wanting something "more."

The Man in Black explicitly spells out his motivation, he wants the game unrigged. That's not questionable, that's from the source, when he got to the end of the maze that was clearly what he was hoping for, and the pay off is the scene in which he happily gets shot at the end.

The gulf between his motivations and actions, how one leads into the other does not stand up to any kind of scrutiny. Why he would put faith into this idea that solving Arnold's maze would not only give him what he wants, but that it's his best course of action is inexplicable.

And suppose he succeeded, suppose him solving the maze unrigged the game, would Ford just not put it all back to rights again? Any chance Mib had of getting what he wanted always ran through Ford.

The character proved to be just a paper thin contrivance for cheap mystery.

Question - sorry if this has been asked

I'm having trouble getting my head around Ford's new narrative. Dolores died in Teddy's arms in front of an audience. But the wound was inflicted by the MiB. Does that mean everyone was watching the MiB's progress with Dolores? Seems a bit weird that he would agree to having his whole messed up adventure publicized.

Salsa

I think the finale had a weak point in the ford killing, unless its meant

so; idea is that Ford tells Dolores if she understood what she has to do, what she has to become

she apparently does, so she's starting to gain consciousness, or rather she does, really

... but she still kills him RIGHT when he ends his speech, as if he planned it.

I do just dismiss it as the show being poignant and having a cinematic moment

but I think it would have worked better, and made the point across better, if she just fuckin killed him mid-speech.

edit: I guess you could also go with the idea that she respects him and kinda killed him gracefully? but.. yeah I dont know

Negaduck

Lol some of you guys sound like you weren't big fans of some parts.

That sucks, I don't know if I just didn't look deep into the show but the ending twists didn't reveal themselves to me until seconds before the show did (
man in black being William got me good. That was awesome when it all clicked to me a few seconds before he revealed it.

I wish you guys could all share the same experience I had with that finale. It was amazing.

Top Bottom