• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Mokujin

Loved the season, I was careless and got spoiled in this thread (
Black Man
) though I think I should have figured it out before the end. Hopkins speeches gave me the chills, so good!!!

Moving into 2nd season I'm not really sure if they will follow the story or go back in time and visit other parks before going full hosts revolution?

Funny seeing sudden negativity in this thread (or maybe it's not sudden, haven't read every page) about the show after the finale, when it actually made me appreciate this season a lot more after not really feeling it for the last few eps.

Season 2 is going to have to be pretty drastically different, I'm intrigued where they go with it.

vpance

So was Ford basically on the same page as Arnold from the start, in that they both wanted the AI to break free? If so then why was he against Arnold not wanting the park to open? Was it a biding his time thing or what?

Is it a Darth Vader figure on the bad guys line ?
Hmm

D1SIEqC.jpg

Well I'm convinced. SW definitely stands for Star Wars.

So was Ford basically on the same page as Arnold from the start, in that they both wanted the AI to break free? If so then why was he against Arnold not wanting the park to open? Was it a biding his time thing or what?
No he was not on the same page. He said he made a mistake... one that took 35 years to correct.

Ferrio

Banned

No, he wasn't on the same page. It wasn't until Arnold's death did he reflect upon the hosts and realize he was wrong. He also understood that Arnold was wrong in his approach and the missing element to conscience was grief. In addition he knew the hosts weren't ready to reach consciousness, they didn't have enough exposure to humanity to react to whatever the fallout might be.

duckroll

No, he just wanted a park to tell his stories and research his tech. He didn't want to believe in consciousness because he only saw them as tools for his ambition. When Arnold died he realized there was more to the park than what he thought and that he was wrong, so he spent decades preparing them for the launch of Westworld Season One.

Biske

Yeah some little logic details need to be let go by people.

I think the only detail throughout the series that annoyed me by its inclusion was the approval for the small explosive effect when MIB was breaking out of the cell. Its inclusion raised a whole host of questions that it didn't need to draw attention to.

This.

Totally this.

For me its pretty much the only thing I don't really get.

All the other stuff, whatever I will let that slide, but they deliberately showed people running the park, being SO involved that they literally approve whether or not a cigar bomb is going to bomb.

Then all kinds of shenanigans happen afterwards that people seem not aware of.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Come in to this thread and see people arguing about guards,and the order in which things happen, some mundane shit compared to what the episode was about.

Here I was hoping to see lots and lots of people in here would be offering insight in to the way they decided to tackle the question of consciousness in this show.

What I love is that Ford is completely unsurprised to see Barnard again. He knew he woudl eb found, and repaired.

Being betrayed by ford was just another part of the narrative. Suffering is just part of what makes them self-realize. Betrayal by a friend, and then seeing him die.

But I don't think ford is dead. He's not going to cash out while his grand story is playing out.

Ferrio

Banned
This.

Totally this.

For me its pretty much the only thing I don't really get.

All the other stuff, whatever I will let that slide, but they deliberately showed people running the park, being SO involved that they literally approve whether or not a cigar bomb is going to bomb.

Then all kinds of shenanigans happen afterwards that people seem not aware of.

Maeve tampered with security which was ultimately planned by Ford. Her escape was just another narrative, and Ford being a god of the facility was perfectly able to set it up to be successful.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Pretty sure this gonna win a lot of emmy's. They have checked off almost all the boxes for wins. Production, visuals, music, acting, writing, directing.

vpance

No he was not on the same page. He said he made a mistake... one that took 35 years to correct.

No, he wasn't on the same page. It wasn't until Arnold's death did he reflect upon the hosts and realize he was wrong. He also understood that Arnold was wrong in his approach and the missing element to conscience was grief. In addition he knew the hosts weren't ready to reach consciousness, they didn't have enough exposure to humanity to react to whatever the fallout might be.

No, he just wanted a park to tell his stories and research his tech. He didn't want to believe in consciousness because he only saw them as tools for his ambition. When Arnold died he realized there was more to the park than what he thought and that he was wrong, so he spent decades preparing them for the launch of Westworld Season One.

Thanks. There was a ton of exposition in this episode and I clearly missed some things.

The whole Maeve being preprogrammed to escape kind of leads me to think the whole ending is just another storyline, and everyone's watching this unfold at home on TV like some Truman show.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Everyone that keeps saying how much they hate Maeve, you got it all wrong. Who you really hate is the writer and the two jackass butchers that enabled such stupid bullshit to happen. The show is brilliant in every way except for the stupidity of those two stupid butcher guys. Maeve, once seperated from those guys and probably gonna be involved in being some type of facility mastermind with her guns at her side im sure will be much more interesting. I mean even the last episode she was a lot better when she wasnt sitting there naked letting the butchers manipulate them like dumbasses. She was also a lot more interesting as her conflicted character inside the park.

a lot of people died, which was great but i just wish all of them died.
there's not one likeable character in this series.

crazy talk. So many likeable characters.

Everyone that keeps saying how much they hate Maeve, you got it all wrong. Who you really hate is the writer and the two jackass butchers that enabled such stupid bullshit to happen. The show is brilliant in every way except for the stupidity of those two stupid butcher guys. Maeve, once seperated from those guys and probably gonna be involved in being some type of facility mastermind with her guns at her side im sure will be much more interesting. I mean even the last episode she was a lot better when she wasnt sitting there naked letting the butchers manipulate them like dumbasses. She was also a lot more interesting as her conflicted character inside the park.

No, I hate Maeve. Because she's an asshole.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Cool, watching episode 6 again and Ford has in office a table with a model of his new narrative showing the church and an army on the outskirts. So awesome.

Also I have no issue with Maeve.

who?

everyone is either a huge douchbag (narrative guy, board lady, most hosts, william, william's brother in law)
an idiot (the two dummies that helped maeve, maeve)
or just boring (Dolores, her BF, all the other employees)

if season 2 had a completely new cast, i'd be happy.

Hopkins was alright.

Eyeh4wk

Maeve getting off the train at the end to return for her daughter was the biggest cockblock of the season.

Speaking of cockblock, I was really curious what the pervy surgeon was going to do with Hector.
Jerk him off? Fuck him? Get fucked? Poor guy was all lubed up and poised for action, but it was not meant to be.

who?

everyone is either a huge douchbag (narrative guy, board lady, most hosts, william, williams brother in law)
an idiot (the two dummies that helped maeve)
or straight up boring (Dolores, employees)

if season 2 had a completely new cast, i'd be happy.

Hopkins was alright.
I think you have to not find the core questions and concepts of the show interesting to find Dolores boring

saw it last night. it was deftly shot and delivered. a nice wrap up to the season.

it was funny how it covered a lot of the things i had asked / mentioned in this thread earlier. on how ford was the end-all-be-all in westworld (not the park, the series. he's the one thing that everything pivots on), and about my inability to vibe with the series at the beginning because of the low stakes (MIB/William actually said this complaint outloud in the finale, i was laughing), and then about the hosts' suffering as their birth point to consciousness (i had expressed a kind of mild disagreement that humanity is only achievable through suffering because that is a problematic thought for me, i.e. does it make humans who suffer less or more, less or more humans than the other humans?)

i wished the series had 2 less episodes. the maeve arc didn't really need that much elaboration, specially since it had shaky logical plot holes (i.e. glass rooms in which nothing untoward was ever observed, etc.)

but all in all, it was a nice episode. i love hopkins in ww and he continued to carry and deliver his parts extremely well. i am sad to see him gone. i hope he will return in some capacity, say in flashbacks or reveries, etc.

the weak part of the finale for me was the delos security teams. they were more NPCs than everything else in the series thus far.

now to wait for 2018~

TheYanger

One you didn't pay attention to, obviously. That image has been a major talking point since the episode aired. Where have you been, brother?

It would take a lot less effort to just answer the question than to try and be holier than thou about a TV show.

I think you have to not find the core questions and concepts of the show interesting to find Dolores boring
yep.

Seems most people want twists or action for them to consider an episode good.

The best part of this show was the more subtle character development, ideas on consciousness...

~Kinggi~

Banned
Come on, they tried to make us root for her and her stupid quest to find her stupid daughter.

I didnt see it that way at all. I dont feel like the show is expecting me to root for anything other than perhaps the freedom of the AI in the park that wants it the correct way. Characters in a show dont have to be dudes youd love to have a beer with to be 'likeable' or entertaining. I think for the most part everyones agendas are handled very well.

yep.

Seems most people want twists or action for them to consider an episode good.

wrong. i wanted less twists and more interesting ideas, i heavily disliked the played out "he's actual a robot"-twist. I don't think i'm happy with any twist the show had in store. The things WW does (or tries to do) have been done many times before and better, i hoped they'd bring something new to the table but so far i'm disappointed.

statham

just watched the finale, and I loved it. but season 2 isn't until 2018??? :( I predicted alot and was wrong on all of them, that mid-episode twist I did not see.

Wait. People think Maeve's deciding to get off the train was of her own volition?

I thought Ford just wanted her to get data out and then bring her back in. I would assume that Ford wants a host to escape by choosing to. Programming her to actually leave would undermine his and Arnold's motivation, no?

well yeah sure, i typically hate the villains of many shows as well. Game of Thrones got a ton of them.

GoT villains are great and it feels awesome when they die, they also have a lot of sympatethic 'bad guys'. This has none of either, nobody is a charismatic bad guy, they are just all huge douches. Who would really care if board lady and narritive guy never showed up again.

Elsie.

/cry

meh.

duckroll

Wait. People think Maeve's deciding to get off the train was of her own volition?

I thought Ford just wanted her to get data out and then bring her back in. I would assume that Ford wants a host to escape by choosing to. Programming her to actually leave would undermine his and Arnold's motivation, no?

What data? Abenathy was the one Charlotte loaded the data into, Maeve wasn't carrying anything inside her. In fact, the entire Maeve plot is pretty weird. Either something is really going on there that even Ford wasn't aware of (?????) or she was just an overwritten elaborate distraction for security.

GoT villains are great and it feels awesome when they die, they also have a lot of sympatethic 'bad guys. This has none of either, nobody is a charismatic bad guy, they are just all huge douches. Who would really care if board lady and narritive guy never showed up again.

I think Ford is a great villain. He's fascinating and magnetic anytime he's on screen - buoyed by great writing and Hopkins.

I would certainly miss Hopkins if he never returned.

What data? Abenathy was the one Charlotte loaded the data into, Maeve wasn't carrying anything inside her. In fact, the entire Maeve plot is pretty weird. Either something is really going on there that even Ford wasn't aware of (?????) or she was just an overwritten elaborate distraction for security.

Didn't Maeve leave her bag on the train or some shit? I don't know why I assumed she had something in there beyond her stowed gun.

I think Ford is a great villain. He's fascinating and magnetic anytime he's on screen - buoyed by great writing and Hopkins.

I would certainly miss Hopkins if he never returned.

i did warm up to him in this episode but i credit that to his talent. He's a great actor that's for sure, i still don't really care about his character.

Top Bottom