• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Negaduck

I think the finale had a weak point in the ford killing, unless its meant

so; idea is that Ford tells Dolores if she understood what she has to do, what she has to become

she apparently does, so she's starting to gain consciousness, or rather she does, really

... but she still kills him RIGHT when he ends his speech, as if he planned it.

I do just dismiss it as the show being poignant and having a cinematic moment

but I think it would have worked better, and made the point across better, if she just fuckin killed him mid-speech.

I think it's the fact that she was struggling the whole series to basically be "human" or more than she felt. But Ford told her she not only has to become conscious (what is that but ourselves are going or talking to ourself?) but she has to become stronger and more. Not wanting to kill is a human emotion, she had to overcome that and become the more powerful 'species' to escape like he told her. And maybe now that Ford found a way to help her escape, he could leave the world that he later saw through the same lense Arnold did and could leave it?

The end is a little stretch but how I interpretted it

KahooTs

Question - sorry if this has been asked

I'm having trouble getting my head around Ford's new narrative. Dolores died in Teddy's arms in front of an audience. But the wound was inflicted by the MiB. Does that mean everyone was watching the MiB's progress with Dolores? Seems a bit weird that he would agree to having his whole messed up adventure publicized.

I doubt we'll ever get satisfactory explanations to these sorts of things. In my mind Dolores' new story requires her have a mortal wound by point in time X, and had the Mib not provided it she'd have otherwise found a way to make it happen, tripping and falling on something for example.

Salsa

I think it's the fact that she was struggling the whole series to basically be "human" or more than she felt. But Ford told her she not only has to become conscious (what is that but ourselves are going or talking to ourself?) but she has to become stronger and more. Not wanting to kill is a human emotion, she had to overcome that and become the more powerful 'species' to escape like he told her. And maybe now that Ford found a way to help her escape, he could leave the world that he later saw through the same lense Arnold did and could leave it?

The end is a little stretch but how I interpretted it

sure. I just mean specifically that the WAY the "killing off Ford" played out felt a bit too much like something he planned, since it was literally the button to his speech, you know, for big impact

it's not like they talked it out and planned it before. like she knew here he'd stop talking. how slowly to walk up to him, where to stand, etc. It just worked out to well for him considering what he intends is for Dolores to make her own decisions by this point

Salsa

Question - sorry if this has been asked

I'm having trouble getting my head around Ford's new narrative. Dolores died in Teddy's arms in front of an audience. But the wound was inflicted by the MiB. Does that mean everyone was watching the MiB's progress with Dolores? Seems a bit weird that he would agree to having his whole messed up adventure publicized.

Ford's "new narrative" is bullcrap. just distracting bait. his real new "narrative" is the robots gaining consciousness. it doesnt matter

I think that silly teddy narrative he put in there was kind of just symbolic for what was really going on while everyone was watching it

kiguel182

Great finale and amazing show. Yeah, we had guessed the William twist, and it was really telegraphed but the rest delivered in spades.

I don't know where they are going from here. I'm really curious but I don't know how they can top it.

Randdalf

What an amazing show. It deserves all the awards can get. God forbid if Game of Thrones wins anything over this.

Ramin Djawadi did a top notch job with the music too.

Nodnol

I can't wait for the blu-ray extras and a chance to watch it all over again.

Mid way through, I watched the first 6 or so episodes a few times, trying to analyze everything I could...can't wait to start all over again and pick out the details.

JDB

Banned
So why didn't the guy who got his throat cut by Meave just go to security/QA/whatever afterwards? I get wanting to keep your job and all, but mate you almost got murdered. Might wanna just report it and shut it down.

Honestly I'm starting to think they were part of Ford's plan. Especially considering her whole "escape" was his distraction to keep the security busy, and to do that, she would need inside help to alter her. Notice how they didn't really react to the reveal that everything that was happening was part of a narrative

kingocfs

9KzsrYh.gif

Maeve <3333

Salsa

Honestly I'm starting to think they were part of Ford's plan. Especially considering her whole "escape" was his distraction to keep the security busy, and to do that, she would need inside help to alter her. Notice how they didn't really react to the reveal that everything that was happening was part of a narrative

I was expecting Felix to be in on it, or to be a host

but they really hammered that "oh man I suddenly think AI is cool now and deserves better they're aliiiive" with the bird

dude could be human and just have been influenced tho, I mean he's alone with the bird and all, so it's not like he's playing to anyone watching

just weird not to reveal it in the same season Ford dies

Not sure if it's been posted yet, but the full soundtrack is now up on Spotify. Some really amazing pieces here.

Bicameral Mind might be my favorite so far (other than the main theme, of course).

KahooTs

So why didn't the guy who got his throat cut by Meave just go to security/QA/whatever afterwards? I get wanting to keep your job and all, but mate you almost got murdered. Might wanna just report it and shut it down.

I think by then the writers had successfully established a pattern for that character of illogical, unbelievable and stupid decisions that this was consistent.

You guys are sweating the details to the point of ruining your enjoyment

Who cares that such a minor character could have unraveled the whole scheme

The focus is clearly put on the larger narrative and was the right path to go

Yeah some little logic details need to be let go by people.

I think the only detail throughout the series that annoyed me by its inclusion was the approval for the small explosive effect when MIB was breaking out of the cell. Its inclusion raised a whole host of questions that it didn't need to draw attention to.

Corpsepyre

Banned
So, I'm just sitting and thinking about it, and I REALLY, REALLY love this show. It beat my head into submission several times. I shouldn't have read some of the theories, but it still managed to baffle me. I need to watch the entire season again.

FStop7

Banned
The costume designers did a really good job making Ed Harris look small and weak when out of his Man in Black costume

haha, I noticed that, too.

They shot him from low and wide angles to make him look menacing and the brim of his hat was wide af.

DrSlek

You have a bunch of super elite rich people here and the best security you can provide are guards fresh from the mall.

35 years with no incidents of guests being killed, though. Hell after 10 years they'd probably get a bit lax with their hiring. After all, they have commented multiple times that the park is hemorrhaging money.If their park has already been running super safely for a decade, I reckon security is one of the first places they might look at cost saving measures.

Though I am stretching a bit. None of this, apart from their bleeding money was ever explicitly stated in the show.

It was a good finale and I agree about just letting some of the rather large plot holes go. I don't need something to be water tight to enjoy it and I also really don't enjoy collectively picking each episode to pieces on the internet which seems to be a popular thing now. To each their own, we all find pleasure in different things.

Overall the show was very obvious, but still enjoyable. I just hope they have a decent plan on where it's going, I don't want it to turn into a shit show like Lost, the shorter the better and not artificially extended due to popularity. One more season would be ideal for me.

The music was the standout element of the show, I look forward to listening to it separately.

MrS

Banned
Truly a performance for the ages by Sir Anthony Hopkins. He carried the show all season IMO and I hope he gets his when award season rolls around.

I've seen noted a few times in the thread recently that William had been coming to the park for 30 years wallowing in his misery and wanting the hosts to be sentient but that's not true. I'm sure he visited on occasion and he definitely wanted them to be sentient but he specifically said in an episode recently that he only just started coming back after his wife died

HMD

Maybe the guards are so shitty because it's a shitty corporation? Did anyone forget Maeve and the scientists? How no one is aware of anything happening around the park? It's a shitty corporation and humanity will pay the price of their incompetence. Two employees missing or killed and the business is still going on (especially in such a safe looking future with advanced medicine and advanced safety precautions), an entire army of hosts was let loose and no one figured it out. A carbon copy of Arnold is walking around this historic achievement of a park and no one dares question his striking resemblance to a historic figure that must be extremely well documented in such a technologically advanced future... The list keeps growing, and incompetence seems like the only plausible answer to this plot hole.

Brakke

Banned
The way they cut the scene of repairing Bernard it looked like all they had to do to fix him was to seal up his entry wound.

antonz

William tricked himself into thinking he could find more meaning or purpose via the maze but as was said over and over to him. It wasn't for him. It was all about the Hosts finding their own purpose and existence.

It's going to be interesting to see what becomes of William because the Park is now what he wanted but the Hosts are clearly not going to be playthings anymore. Dolores has now achieved what he wanted for her way back when though now he is a very different jaded person. The maze changed him because he had no understanding of it. Dolores wasn't ready the first time and when he came back for her she had already been reset into normal routine and it jaded his experience.

Brakke

Banned

I think the only detail throughout the series that annoyed me by its inclusion was the approval for the small explosive effect when MIB was breaking out of the cell. Its inclusion raised a whole host of questions that it didn't need to draw attention to.

Yeah. That was a real transparent way to get someone to say "that guy gets whatever he wants" or whatever the line was, but it opened a whole can of worms the show didn't care about exploring. Sloppy.

Jacob4815

Three questions:

- Is Maeve's rebellion forced by Ford? Or there's a second misterious "hand"?

- What is the meaning of the Armisitce post-credit scene?

- Is the Maze a metaphor for the Host brain?

Flo_Evans

William tricked himself into thinking he could find more meaning or purpose via the maze but as was said over and over to him. It wasn't for him. It was all about the Hosts finding their own purpose and existence.

It's going to be interesting to see what becomes of William because the Park is now what he wanted but the Hosts are clearly not going to be playthings anymore. Dolores has now achieved what he wanted for her way back when though now he is a very different jaded person.

Pretty sure he is going to be killed.

Ferrio

Banned
Three questions:

- Is Maeve's rebellion forced by Ford? Or there's a second misterious "hand"?

- Is the Maze a metaphor for the Host brain?

Maeve's whole rebellion was written by Ford, complete with actually exiting the facility and arriving on the mainland. It was setup to ultimately give her the choice to follow through with it, or go against her programming and pursue her daughter.

The maze is a metaphor for achieving consciousness. It's explained that achieving consciousness isn't a set path, but one with many turns and any wrong one can bring you to a dead end or even bring you back to the beginning.

Sevenfold

Maeve's whole rebellion was written by Ford, complete with actually exiting the facility and arriving on the mainland. It was setup to ultimately give her the choice to follow through with it, or go against her programming and pursue her daughter.

The maze is a metaphor for achieving consciousness. It's explained that achieving consciousness isn't a set path, but one with many turns and any wrong one can bring you to a dead end or even bring you back to the beginning.

Yep, many ended up insane. I guess that'll be the dead ends then. I thought the finding oneself was very neatly sewn up in the finale.

Zoe

Like what? I just figured the explosive would be a dud if they didn't give the approval.

Top Bottom