• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

When Bernard was talking to the assistant showing him footage of what ex-dad was doing before he had a total meltdown, it was implied there was something indicating that it wasn't just the photo. Something that caused an immediate reaction. Was it Harris approaching him and telling him something? The code phrase? They seem to be hiding that from the audience deliberately.

It took me a couple times to parse this line out. The "immediate reaction" was with other hosts. Abernathy saw the photo then proceeded walk back to his porch to ponder it.

Joni

Not sure if anyone has brought this up, but I wonder to what extent are the guests allowed to do what they want? If I recall correctly, one of the members of the security team asks his supervisor if they should interfere with Ed Harris because he has already killed so many hosts. Would they allow you to simply "Rape" a host beacause that's your fantasy. What if you're a sick fuck and want to have sex with host children. What are the limits and how are they enforced.

Doesn't someone say they can rape and pillage as much as they want?

Corpekata

Banned
Doesn't someone say they can rape and pillage as much as they want?

IIRC it was said somewhat with sarcasm so I wouldn't say it was meant that literally. If they got concerned about Harris, and only played it off because he was some special customer, there must be limits for the random guests.

I imagine if a guest, for instance, decided to go on a rape and murder spree of all the hosts around the entrance to the park where everyone is supposed to be getting introduced to things and families are disembarking, they'd be corralled by the staff somehow. Given the video game influences here there's gotta be the equivelant of trolls and griefers that the park doesn't want ruining everyone else's experiences.

KeRaSh

Loved the second episode as much as the first. If they singled out each sub-plot and made a separate show out of them I would still watch those shows. None of these stories are boring.

Some questions I have that hopefully get answered at some point in the first season or at least in the show:
How did the bad guy find out about the maze and that a map was in that one guy's scalp in the first place?
How did he find out that the daughter would spit out information if he killed her mother?

He obviously spent a ton of time in Westworld but I really hope we find out more about how he got there and how he got the information he has.

I also wonder if the guns the visitors get are special guns that can't harm other visitors. Is the gun that the woman dug out a real gun that can kill visitors?

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
I noticed that when Bernard Lowe has his private talk with Dolores and has her erase the event log, his wardrobe is entirely different from what he wears in all his other scenes, before and after this talk.

In other scenes, he's always dappered in a 3 piece suit and tie. Colors are a mix of whites, grays and black.
In this particular scene he's in a black jacket, black pants, black shirt, no tie.

Maybe it's just emphasizing the surreptitious nature of the moment, but it's a strange discontinuity. Just pointing this out in case it's significant later, so I can appear clever.

Iceman

How did the bad guy find out about the maze and that a map was in that one guy's scalp in the first place?

My 2c.

Notice how the MIB loaded his gun with exactly the right amount of bullets (and the type of bullets) he needed to wipe out Lawrence's cousins + the barkeep. It came off almost like an Edge of Tomorrow/Groundhog Day scenario. Like he's already tried this approach before. I think the MIB has been working through a bunch of theories over the years, cutting apart androids left and right. Maybe that's what he did to Dolores too in the pilot, that is, torture plus scalping.

How did he find out that the daughter would spit out information if he killed her mother?

I think MIB was surprised when that happened. He was expecting to get the info out of Lawrence himself. First he had to show he was serious and shot the wife. Then Lawrence would know that his daughter was in actual peril.

Joni

I dont know about him but some in the command center surely are robots. Probably even able to kill humans.

That wouldn't happen. They would never program anyone in the park with the ability to kill people. They might have sedatives to remove people that cause too big problems, but the park would get locked immediately if there was a guard robot killing a guest on purpose.

Makikou

Always thinking of Breakout Kings when seeing Jimmi Simpson, heh.

Jimmi Simpson is straight up an actor that Jonathan Nolan trusts in. He was also in Person of Interest and frequented 2 times, once on Season 5 (final season, filmed before Westworld.. not surprising am I rite?)

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Has the Westworld logo discrepancy been brought up here? Saw it on Reddit; the logo in William's scenes ( \ V ) is the same one on the cold storage facility (old welcome center?) instead of the series logo ( \ W / ) used on the fake promo site for the park and in show in the new storyline reel.

Series Logo said:
KpxXZDZ.png

2kpJPze.jpg

William's Logo said:
9E2sCiq.jpg

TRiQ7l7.png

Cold storage logo
Fwhee1R.jpg

KeRaSh

My 2c.

Notice how the MIB loaded his gun with exactly the right amount of bullets (and the type of bullets) he needed to wipe out Lawrence's cousins + the barkeep. It came off almost like an Edge of Tomorrow/Groundhog Day scenario. Like he's already tried this approach before. I think the MIB has been working through a bunch of theories over the years, cutting apart androids left and right. Maybe that's what he did to Dolores too in the pilot, that is, torture plus scalping.

That's a good point. I thought it was meant as some sort of psychological warfare.
Here, hold the bullets with which I will shoot you later.
If it is indeed years and years of searching and trial and error I would like to find out what triggered this hunt for the maze. How did he find out about it in the first place and how did he get to the point where he is now? Also, what made him come back to Westworld over all these years? Is it just because he is a sick fuck who doesn't want to be a part of society anymore because it's more fun to do whatever you want?
Why does he get some kind of special treatment compared to other visitors as is implied in the second episode? Is it because he's been a regular for 30 years or are the other factors playing a role?
There's so much potential for this character alone. It blows my mind.

I think MIB was surprised when that happened. He was expecting to get the info out of Lawrence himself. First he had to show he was serious and shot the wife. Then Lawrence would know that his daughter was in actual peril.

Yeah, it seemed that way but I'm more interested in finding out how he got the information that led him to that host and his family in the first place.
I really hope we get some more backstory for this character and I'm pretty sure we will.

Meanwhile, my wife is still not impressed with this show. It's like I don't even know her...

duckroll

Has the Westworld logo discrepancy been brought up here? Saw it on Reddit; the logo in William's scenes ( \ V ) is the same one on the cold storage facility (old welcome center?) instead of the series logo ( \ W / ) used on the fake promo site for the park and in show in the new storyline reel.

Wow that's one hell of a catch. It seems like nothing at first, but then you think about how deliberate set design is, and there's no way that's an accident. Something is definitely up. I wonder if the season finale is going to be William's story ending with the "incident" 30 years ago, while Harris finally solves the "hidden game", creating a second incident, going full circle.

Not sure if anyone has brought this up, but I wonder to what extent are the guests allowed to do what they want? If I recall correctly, one of the members of the security team asks his supervisor if they should interfere with Ed Harris because he has already killed so many hosts. Would they allow you to simply "Rape" a host beacause that's your fantasy. What if you're a sick fuck and want to have sex with host children. What are the limits and how are they enforced.
From what I can tell, there are areas far outside of town who where you can do whatever fucked up shit you want, as long as it's not to other guests. There was the guy with his family who met Dolores painting the horse in Episode 1, who mentioned not going across the river because it was too adult for his son. The company probably lets people go full serial rapist-killer-cannibal on hosts as long as not within the town limits, because they want to keep that area relatively safe or vanilla.

In fact, I think the term 'decompression' from the fake after-Westworld resort, is really a code word for psychotherapy, so guests don't try to do those things in real life.

Kayhan

I assume the revolver that Dolores unearthed at the end has the ability to.......hurt real people, unlike the other guns in Westworld.

Kayhan

( \ V ) = Yul Brynner Westworld

( \ W / ) = HBO Westworld

kai3345

Banned
( V ) = Yul Brynner Westworld

( W / ) = HBO Westworld
Do you think the "incident" was the first movie?

ALSO, I went back and rewatched the first episode. When the director of programming goes down to cold storage, did anyone else think that looked a lot like a mall?

SomTervo

So is this series a sequel or an adaptation? There are subtle hints that things went wrong in the past, but like decades before. Is this same universe?

My 2c.

Fffuuuuuuck that's such a good theory

He did say he'd been going there for 30 years, right?

I assume the revolver that Dolores unearthed at the end has the ability to.......hurt real people, unlike the other guns in Westworld.

I reckon

Arkeband

Banned
my completely baseless theory is that mcpoyle and his friend are secretly hosts

whoa

I think this is at least one of the two twists this show can reliably do.

1) Send a host into the world as a newcomer and see what happens (The previews seem to suggest
this is what happens with Dolores
)
2) Turn a newcomer into a host. (further examining that line of what makes humans and robots)

Here's a thought experiment.

Scientists perfectly simulate a human being, atom for atom, inside a computer.

Scientists have the ability control every aspect of the simulated reality. They use this ability to stimulate the simulated human's brain and nervous system exactly as though they were being tortured.

Is this ethical behaviour? Why or why not?
Frictional essentially did this thought experiment in SOMA as a puzzle

Has the Westworld logo discrepancy been brought up here? Saw it on Reddit; the logo in William's scenes ( V ) is the same one on the cold storage facility (old welcome center?) instead of the series logo ( W / ) used on the fake promo site for the park and in show in the new storyline reel.
Damn, that's a big catch

Has there been anything to indicate that those two storylines are happening at the same time?

Damn, that's a big catch

Has there been anything to indicate that those two storylines are happening at the same time?

Nope, not that I know of. I need to rematch episode 2 but I think the only known host they interact with is Dolores, and she's the oldest host still running, so they could definitely be 30 years in the past or whenever. I guess if it turns out true, one of them is likely Ed Harris.

DerekNYC

Damn, that's a big catch

I like the idea of McPoyle being MIB in the past, but that would mean the Hosts and the basic story lines haven't been updated in 30 years, right? Wouldn't hosts from 30 years ago look more like the older model Anthony Hopkins was having drinks with in the pilot? Also, events like Delores dropping her canned food happened in both the pilot and McPoyle's version, so they that hasn't changed in 30 years either?

Cool theory, but I don't think it will pan out. But we should be able to tell pretty quickly based on how Delores is acing in her upcoming scene with McPoyle.

DerekNYC

Nope, not that I know of. I need to rematch episode 2 but I think the only known host they interact with is Dolores, and she's the oldest host still running, so they could definitely be 30 years in the past or whenever. I guess if it turns out true, one of them is likely Ed Harris.

They also talk to the hooker on the way to their first bar (not Thandie Newton, the other one)

duckroll

Keep in mind that when they say Dolores is the oldest host in the park, they mean she is the -oldest-, not the only old host in the park. If the William scenes are indeed 30 years ago, it would mean that Westworld had already been in service for some time back then. Which means it isn't 30 years old, it could be 50 or 60 or 70 years old. Or more. Which means that most of the "stock" attractions and key characters might not have changed in 30 years. Old Bill would be much, much older.

I think that regardless, it should definitely be seen as suspicious that Dolores is the only prominent character in the William scenes. Maeve is nowhere to be seen. All the interactions Dolores has with other characters are in scenes where William is absent. And there's a very deliberate split between the William storyline in the episode and the Maeve storyline. The episode is edited such that it is clear they are not even happening at the same time.

Makai

Keep in mind that when they say Dolores is the oldest host in the park, they mean she is the -oldest-, not the only old host in the park. If the William scenes are indeed 30 years ago, it would mean that Westworld had already been in service for some time back then. Which means it isn't 30 years old, it could be 50 or 60 or 70 years old. Or more. Which means that most of the "stock" attractions and key characters might not have changed in 30 years. Old Bill would be much, much older.

I think that regardless, it should definitely be seen as suspicious that Dolores is the only prominent character in the William scenes. Maeve is nowhere to be seen. All the interactions Dolores has with other characters are in scenes where William is absent. And there's a very deliberate split between the William storyline in the episode and the Maeve storyline. The episode is edited such that it is clear they are not even happening at the same time.
Ford made Bill, so it can't be that old unless Ford has an extended lifespan.

Palmer_v1

If it's true, I hope that wasn't meant to be a big finale episode reveal.

I wonder if the milk is more significant since it's Jimmy's first interaction with Dolores. It's somehow playing into the weird milk obsession some of the current Hosts exhibit.

Or it just looks cool and plays into the red and white (and black?) scheme the show employs.

HBO Vid:
- Reality of A.I. (4:30 cast & crew discussion, youtube, *some spoilers*)

A few quotes from this:
One awesome line in that scene is Angela saying to William after she comes onto him, “If you can’t tell, does it matter?” which really summarizes a lot of the ethical conflict in the story.

Lisa Joy: Thank you, and it was a line we felt summed up some of the moral quandaries we’re examining here. People are very accustomed to playing a video game and plowing down a bunch of other characters in it and cheering because that’s how you win. But as the visuals become more and more sophisticated, you start to feel empathy, and it could get harder and harder to shoot – and should it? We’ve been looking at VR and it’s a whole new level of immersion. Watching it in a virtual reality environment it made me feel more morally complicit in my actions. Even if the characters are not entirely lifelike, what does it say about you that you can abandon yourself to the nihilistic act of destruction. It’s becoming a more relevant question.

Nolan: It’s also a way of articulating the Turing Test.

Then William has to make a literal big black hat / white hat choice…

Nolan: When you play a role-playing game, one of the first decisions you make is am I going to go good or bad? Committed gamers will play twice. The game’s narrative is designed so that whether you’re the bad guy or the good guy, you’re the guy, you’re still the hero of the story. And what we thought was poignant and sad about our host’s plight is they’re not allowed to be the real hero or villain. That’s a space that’s set aside for the guests. The guests get to be the stars.

I find it funny that, as writers, you made the least likable behind-the-scenes character the park’s writer, Lee.

Joy: You can’t take yourself that seriously. There’s also the dramatic irony of Lee Sizemore, the writer, has this operatic temper, and he’s very consumed by his craft. Meanwhile outside you have these poor hosts being shot and dying and he’s having this fit over a change in dialogue. It’s meant to underscore the ironic stakes and also pinpoint that the creative process draws all sorts of temperaments. Some of them are more flamboyant than others – and I promise you, I’ve seen worse.

Nolan: I would be careful to point out, James, that any similarity between Lee Sizemore and any working writer is purely a coincidence.

Should we be wondering if anybody on the backstage “showrunner level” is also a robot? Or is it impossible that, as experts, they wouldn’t be able to tell that one of their own isn’t human?

Nolan: I don’t even know where to begin with that question! I think it’s great you’re asking questions about the nature of the narrative. I’m very wary of twists that pull the whole rug out at once; you can get away with that in a movie but at some point the audience needs to have something to hold onto and believe in. So the surprises and twists in the show, we’re trying to keep the audience surprised and off guard but also giving them some concert characters.

Can you say if the Man in Black is hacking the game by his actions, or is everything he’s doing – from scalping a Native American to killing Lawrence’s wife – are those exactly the steps he’s supposed to take to reach this other secret level?

Nolan: As a reformed gamer I was fascinated in how any popular game is instantly scoured for mistakes or Easter Eggs. That programmers quickly realized mistakes could be deployed as Easter Eggs for the hardcore gamers who quickly work their way through the main narrative. So there’s sometimes a hidden narrative underneath. Now whether he’s right or wrong is a question we’ll continue to explore.

William is told he can’t get hurt in Westworld. But what about being hurt by another guests? What’s to keep a guest from stabbing him thinking he’s a robot? Is there a safe word?

Joy: We talked a lot about the rules of the park. A lot of it isn’t made explicit in the series but there’s something called the Good Samaritan Reflex within the hosts. So say you’re in a bar fight and some guy has a knife and maybe there’s even another guest that you didn’t know and he thinks you’re a host and he’s gonna stab you in the back. In that instance, a good Samaritan host would seamlessly intersect and get in that fight and literally take that knife for you. Now accidents can happen – falling off a cliff and things like that. But you know it’s mitigated somewhat because even the animals – aside from the flies – are hosts, so no horse is going to buck you to your death.

Mcpoyle isn't the man in the black hat, I don't think.

However, his friend might be. His friend is wearing all black clothes. I'm tipping mcpoyle dies, it gets covered up, and his friend then tries to unravel the secret of his death for the next 30 years.

It could explain why ed Harris is allowed to do anything he wants. The park owners don't actually want him to leave because he knows someone who has died there. He is stuck and trying to find his way out of west world through "the entrance of the maze".

I like the alternate time stories though.

What's a reformed gamer?
They had to play games to do research for the show, and got into GTA, Red Dead, Bioshock, etc.
JOY: It’s funny, I’m not really a gamer, but part of what we did to prepare for this – much to Jonah’s delight – was play video games together to understand the rules of gaming and to introduce myself to them. I played Grand Theft Auto as part of that research, and what a weird job that that was the research, but as I was playing it, I realized that I’m a weird player for this stuf.

Makai

Mcpoyle isn't the man in the black hat, I don't think.

However, his friend might be. His friend is wearing all black clothes. I'm tipping mcpoyle dies, it gets covered up, and his friend then tries to unravel the secret of his death for the next 30 years.

It could explain why ed Harris is allowed to do anything he wants. The park owners don't actually want him to leave because he knows someone who has died there. He is stuck and trying to find his way out of west world through "the entrance of the maze".

I like the alternate time stories though.
He's QA. He exhaustively checks questlines before the other guests.

I like the idea of McPoyle being MIB in the past, but that would mean the Hosts and the basic story lines haven't been updated in 30 years, right? Wouldn't hosts from 30 years ago look more like the older model Anthony Hopkins was having drinks with in the pilot? Also, events like Delores dropping her canned food happened in both the pilot and McPoyle's version, so they that hasn't changed in 30 years either?

Cool theory, but I don't think it will pan out. But we should be able to tell pretty quickly based on how Delores is acing in her upcoming scene with McPoyle.

The writer does have a throwaway line like "I haven't written a new story line in years"

Also in the first episode, ed Harris says something like "even after all this time, you still don't recognise me" to dolores.

So maybe he has been playing the same story lines for 30 years.

Iceman

The writer does have a throwaway line like "I haven't written a new story line in years"

Also in the first episode, ed Harris says something like "even after all this time, you still don't recognise me" to dolores.

So maybe he has been playing the same story lines for 30 years.

Just a quick clarification.. the line was "he (Ford) hasn't weighed in on a storyline in years." I think the implication is that Lee Sizemore was accustomed to free reign - no shackles - on storylines.

Arkeband

Banned
The board of directors will be revealed to just be a server room.

:O

Sounds like a reverse Psycho-Pass twist.

In Psycho-Pass, the supercomputer turned out to be a neural network of human brains taken from hosts who would be classically referred to as psychopaths - those who feel they have no stake in the human race, so they are best fit to come to judge humans without empathy, strictly operating along a set of rules. (whether or not this is an absolute fact is left up to the viewer to decide at the end of the first season, the only season worth watching.)

Makai

Here's a thought experiment.

Scientists perfectly simulate a human being, atom for atom, inside a computer.

Scientists have the ability control every aspect of the simulated reality. They use this ability to stimulate the simulated human's brain and nervous system exactly as though they were being tortured.

Is this ethical behaviour? Why or why not?
If it simulates every atom, then it must have consciousness.

Makai

Wow, I'm guessing you guys already used the customer service on the website. This is pretty cool:

I am now 100% behind the theory that William is The Man in Black and the sole survivor of \ V

Wow, I'm guessing you guys already used the customer service on the website. This is pretty cool:

I am now 100% behind the theory that William is The Man in Black and the sole survivor of V

Also kind of goes with interview Cornballer posted where it was said that committed players will play twice meaning that they'll wear both hats.

Top Bottom