• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

It was implied Delores has been there twice. The present day she sees the girl and has a flashback to the first time she was there with William.

Also, as much as I dislike the idea, I do think the MiB is probably William. Backs up my earlier ideas that outside of the park, the MiB is actually a really nice guy. Especially with how the guy who recognised him was all in awe of him. He knows it's just a game with no repercussions, so is just playing Renegade, which has no basis on his personality outside of the game, unless we want to argue that everyone who plays the bad guy in a game is an asshole.
That's an interesting ideology conflict. Ford believes the park shows people who they really are, like some kind of black mirror. But if the MIB is really just some great famously philanthropic guy outside, and even has noble goals here, then actions in the park, especially MIB's actions, while horrific towards hosts, don't reflect a person's true nature.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Is there a way right now to watch this without HBO?

Hulu, Netflix?

In America? You would need HBO Now, which is their streaming service. It isnt coming to Hulu or Netflix probably ever. It'll eventually end up on Amazon Prime Instant since they have a deal with HBO, but even that won't be for a few years.

Or the season pass method through iTunes, PSN, Amazon, etc. I'm partial to HBO Now, lots of good stuff on there

duckroll

That's an interesting ideology conflict. Ford believes the park shows people who they really are, like some kind of black mirror. But if the MIB is really just some great famously philanthropic guy outside, and even has noble goals here, then actions in the park, especially MIB's actions, while horrific towards hosts, don't reflect a person's true nature.

Ford doesn't believe that, he believes the opposite. The park showing you who you "really are" is a PR gimmick which they use as a selling point. It's what the writer was parroting, and it's what Logan was telling William. That's what Delos wants to sell people. Ford believes that people already know who they really are, but the park gives them a way to see who they -could- be if freed from the responsibilities of the world or any moral obligation of society. It's make belief, it's fantasy. Ford feels people recognize that and aren't fooled. He is right. Ford is the designer who respects the intelligence of the gamers, while the Delos is the publisher who dumbs things down to sell easy ideas and cheap thrills.

I think MiB is the sort of customer who represents exactly what Ford was talking about. He doesn't come here to "find himself" but he comes here to live out a fantasy he can't in the real world.

Iceman829

It was implied Delores has been there twice. The present day she sees the girl and has a flashback to the first time she was there with William.

Also, as much as I dislike the idea, I do think the MiB is probably William. Backs up my earlier ideas that outside of the park, the MiB is actually a really nice guy. Especially with how the guy who recognised him was all in awe of him. He knows it's just a game with no repercussions, so is just playing Renegade, which has no basis on his personality outside of the game, unless we want to argue that everyone who plays the bad guy in a game is an asshole.

In last night's episode the security guy (hemsworth) clearly okays the MiB request for explosives and responds about Delores being out of her loop. If you are trying to say MiB = William then why haven't the employees also aged?

Ford doesn't believe that, he believes the opposite. The park showing you who you "really are" is a PR gimmick which they use as a selling point. It's what the writer was parroting, and it's what Logan was telling William. That's what Delos wants to sell people. Ford believes that people already know who they really are, but the park gives them a way to see who they -could- be if freed from the responsibilities of the world or any moral obligation of society. It's make belief, it's fantasy. Ford feels people recognize that and aren't fooled. He is right. Ford is the designer who respects the intelligence of the gamers, while the Delos is the publisher who dumbs things down to sell easy ideas and cheap thrills.

I think MiB is the sort of customer who represents exactly what Ford was talking about. He doesn't come here to "find himself" but he comes here to live out a fantasy he can't in the real world.
That makes more sense, thanks

In America? You would need HBO Now, which is their streaming service. It isnt coming to Hulu or Netflix probably ever. It'll eventually end up on Amazon Prime Instant since they have a deal with HBO, but even that won't be for a few years.

Or the season pass method through iTunes, PSN, Amazon, etc. I'm partial to HBO Now, lots of good stuff on there

Darn, darn, darn...

duckroll

In last night's episode the security guy (hemsworth) clearly okays the MiB request for explosives and responds about Delores being out of her loop. If you are trying to say MiB = William then why haven't the employees also aged?

They haven't aged because all of that is happening in the present. Dolores is indeed in that town right now and is off loop, because as we saw last week after the incident at her home she ran off. But did she run off and then meet William and Logan? Or has this all happened before in the past, and is she retracing her steps in a trance and confusing memories and reality?

If when they asked if any guests are with her, the reply was "she entered the town with two of them" then the theory would be dead immediately. But now it lives on for another episode. Lol.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
They haven't aged because all of that is happening in the present. Dolores is indeed in that town right now and is off loop, because as we saw last week after the incident at her home she ran off. But did she run off and then meet William and Logan? Or has this all happened before in the past, and is she retracing her steps in a trance and confusing memories and reality?

If when they asked if any guests are with her, the reply was "she entered the town with two of them" then the theory would be dead immediately. But now it lives on for another episode. Lol.

Yeah, I was about to say this. I don't believe in the theory but there is lots of wiggle room. The confrontation she had in the town is the past and the control room talking about it is her going rogue in the present.

golem

He had clearly done it before. They're probably used to that request

Im really enjoying how theyre slowly peeling back the layers of how they control this park and what the guests can do. Guests acting crazy and impacting the park for other visitors? Have their gun jam. Advanced skills and reward tiers for returning players? Check. Purple drops? That too!

And seriously, this is like the best gaming-inspired piece of fiction outside of video games ever. Honestly I'd argue it does more to help the perspective of games as a growing and evolving medium than any video game adaptation ever could. Consider how movies will tackle the nature of being an author and writing, and dig deep like in some Stephen King's work, or how Black Swan and Black Mirror can extrapolate and find compelling subtext and themes in their inspirations. Now we have a show exploring many video games aspects in intelligent manners

gazele

Banned
I don't see how from these first 4 episodes that you could confidently conclude either way if William is the MIB

Not sure why TV critics were coming out to say it definitely wasn't true

duckroll

If there is something that really seems to kill the William = MiB theory, I think it would be that MiB knows a lot more about the park's history than William does. Now, it's possible that William just learns all this eventually over the 30 years, but it would make more sense narratively that Arnold died 30 years ago in the incident, and that event is what makes MiB keep coming back because he wants to solve the ultimate mystery. The Westworld William is in doesn't seem like one where Arnold is still alive in.

golem

Now we have a show exploring many video games aspects in intelligent manners

Which makes it all the more funny that here on a videogame message board alot of people seemingly miss the obvious parallels.

Who hasnt met that one guy who just wants to power game at the dnd table? Or which of us hasnt mowed down a pedestrian or other NPC in GTA just because it was convenient ?

Iceman829

Yea I guess she could've just been off loop after remembering things from the past. Since the park doesn't really change on the inside everything basically stays on the rails. I'm just not a fan of the theory, so at the time of watching I just accepted everyone in the park is there right now.

I'm stuck thinking that if the Delores conversations aren't happening in real time because she was in the park at night with Will and co. then why can't there be other timeline differences. Like you said another week the theory goes on. Hopefully something more concrete can clear it up.

Regarding the episode in general. I liked seeing the way the park deals with families and how they can curb activities (jam guns, etc.). I was laughing at Will's buddy who is basically playing a video game, "oh shit a shiny new pistol with better stats!", "we found a hidden quest!". It reminds me of some of the dumb things me and my friends say when playing games together. Besides all that Hopkins is killing it. We know everything about our guests .... and employees ... oh yea btw the robots do what I say and time to steamroll over your found memories because I can.

ZOONAMI

Yeah, I was about to say this. I don't believe in the theory but there is lots of wiggle room. The confrontation she had in the town is the past and the control room talking about it is her going rogue in the present.

I don't see how from these first 4 episodes that you could confidently conclude either way if William is the MIB

Not sure why TV critics were coming out to say it definitely wasn't true

You can't definitively say William =/= mib but at this point you're grasping to keep it alive after the end of the last episode and now this episode.

I really don't think they are just constantly switching timelines at this point. Its possible sure, but it basically destroys the narrative they've created both inside the park and the mgmt narrative - with Ford creating a new narrative with teddy, wyatt, delores, william all seemingly on that timeline. The board mgmt people being mentioned by Ford as being on site (most likely Logan and william given Logan's comments).

The line about them not being sure if Delores was with a guest was somewhat perplexing, but they did say the new narrative was somehow affecting their monitoring capabilities.

I also thought it was interesting that it seems like they sent a host to bring Delores in? Does that make any sense? If it was a human who was trying to bring her back wouldn't they be alarmed by her behavior? Or does her being with a host mean that she would actually remember her father being killed so then he would just shrug shoulders and go ok, you're with a guest, have a nice day.

I think this is just Nolan intentionally making things ambiguous to allow for speculation, but most signs point to everything being on the same timeline.

Flo_Evans

Host intake protocol:

host_intake_protocol.jpg

ZOONAMI

Host intake protocol:

host_intake_protocol.jpg

So, it seemed like they sent a host to retrieve Delores. Does that make any sense?

If it was a park employee human who was retrieving her it seemed strange he wasn't really alarmed by her behavior.

Also did not follow this protocol to freeze Delores but maybe they knew there were guests nearby and didn't want to do that.

They may have been uncertain if she was "with" a guest but maybe knew she was in the vicinity of guests but not necessarily actively involved with any in an actual narrative of sorts. That and Ford's new narrative throwing off their monitoring capabilities.

So then if it was a human it might have just been ok she would remember her father dying if she was with a guest because she is on a different loop effectively if she's with a guest. So they were essentially confirming she didn't go off loop on her own but at the behest of a guest.

duckroll

I don't think keeping the William/MiB theory alive is grasping at straws at all. I mean, as long as it's a possibility, it remains a possibility, and that's what makes discussing it interesting. I think at this point it is -more- likely that they are not the same person and everything is happening in the present. I'm not super invested in it being true, but until the show very clearly rules it out, it's more of a question of... why not?

But that still leaves questions about the logos and about the biggest "mystery" of all in the writing - if the MiB is just totally stand alone character who is an important person in the world and a VIP guess in the park, why doesn't he have a name for the audience? Why are we calling him MiB. Why are the episode blurbs calling him MiB. Why not just introduce who he is? That deliberate aspect suggests that his name and identity will have some impact, and that it will mean something specifically to the -audience- when it is revealed, because it seems clear that the people in the actual story know who he is.

Because of this central element, speculation continues. I think the speculation is intended by design, and so playing by the rules of what we have been shown, putting things together and seeing how they fit is part of the fun.

PolishQ

Speaking of the MIB...

So, it looks like MIB and Dolores will be competing to solve the Maze this season. Probably leading up to a confrontation between the two of them in the finale.

What I'm starting to think is that the Maze is intended for a HOST to solve, not a Guest. Bernard tells Dolores that if she makes it to the center, she'll be free - whatever that means.

Remember when the MIB talked to the little girl, she said that the Maze "isn't for you" - i.e. not for humans. I'm guessing that the Maze is there to test whether the Hosts' AI has advanced to a certain level. It could even be a trap or a failsafe. Thoughts??

drigosr

So nice to see Hector back. I think he's one of the most stylish characters on the show: his hat, black clothes and the way he walks... just got me thinking he doesn't give/know a shit about what's going on, LOL

His scene with Maeve was awesome! Great way to finish this episode!

Can't wait for more next week.

Burt

So, it seemed like they sent a host to retrieve Delores. Does that make any sense?

If it was a park employee human who was retrieving her it seemed strange he wasn't really alarmed by her behavior.

Also did not follow this protocol to freeze Delores but maybe they knew there were guests nearby and didn't want to do that.

They may have been uncertain if she was "with" a guest but maybe knew she was in the vicinity of guests but not necessarily actively involved with any in an actual narrative of sorts. That and Ford's new narrative throwing off their monitoring capabilities.

So then if it was a human it might have just been ok she would remember her father dying if she was with a guest because she is on a different loop effectively if she's with a guest. So they were essentially confirming she didn't go off loop on her own but at the behest of a guest.
Interesting that they use the term "livestock", which does imply that they understand the hosts as living things, rather than inanimate objects.

ultron87

I liked that vision that Maeve had that showed a guest going full GTA and shooting everyone randomly. I like acknowledging that that happens and showing the protocol for quickly cleaning up from such an incident.

bounchfx

the more I think about it the more I love the characters in this show. So many of them are really well designed (visually) and super interesting. Can't wait to watch them grow. The snake lady and her friend in jail were both super rad. Plus the way MiB looked in those shots - wow.

teiresias

Interesting that they use the term "livestock", which does imply that they understand the hosts as living things, rather than inanimate objects.

They used that term in the pilot episode when referencing the hosts in storage in the basement I believe.

Flo_Evans

It does make me wonder... do they eat? Can they starve? Do they get drunk or are the acting drunk.

Do they poop? What if you want a Cleveland steamer at the whorehouse?

PolishQ

So someone fucked up and left shrapnel within Thandie
Or did it intentionally

She had a flashback that explained this - the "surgeons" knew the shrapnel was in there but they were pressed for time and left it in there hoping that no one would notice. Her memory of that was what motivated her to cut herself open and check.

duckroll

She had a flashback that explained this - the "surgeons" knew the shrapnel was in there but they were pressed for time and left it in there hoping that no one would notice. Her memory of that was what motivated her to cut herself open and check.

You know it's kinda funny how they keep fucking up Maeve. You would think after the last fuck up where she woke up there would be a big "DO NOT FUCK AGAIN" warning. :p

ZOONAMI

I don't think keeping the William/MiB theory alive is grasping at straws at all. I mean, as long as it's a possibility, it remains a possibility, and that's what makes discussing it interesting. I think at this point it is -more- likely that they are not the same person and everything is happening in the present. I'm not super invested in it being true, but until the show very clearly rules it out, it's more of a question of... why not?

But that still leaves questions about the logos and about the biggest "mystery" of all in the writing - if the MiB is just totally stand alone character who is an important person in the world and a VIP guess in the park, why doesn't he have a name for the audience? Why are we calling him MiB. Why are the episode blurbs calling him MiB. Why not just introduce who he is? That deliberate aspect suggests that his name and identity will have some impact, and that it will mean something specifically to the -audience- when it is revealed, because it seems clear that the people in the actual story know who he is.

Because of this central element, speculation continues. I think the speculation is intended by design, and so playing by the rules of what we have been shown, putting things together and seeing how they fit is part of the fun.

I agree speculation is part of the fun as Nolan has even pointed out.

Yeah it is a bit weird that he still hasn't been named, which maybe does suggest he is william, or william is the only logical candidate at this point.

Or I think they were just intentionally keeping him as an anonymous villian, but have been developing him away from that since ep 1, and will reveal his name / real world identity in the next episode.

My guess would be since his foundation saved another guest's relative's life, he has something to do with biomed/synth tech on a similar level to westworld. He may actually be mgmt or he is mgmt from a similar company who doesn't do all this theme park bullshit and he is trying to do some research to see if there's anything deeper to the park on a research level. Something like that. And yeah it would seem he has some connection to Arnold.

Just because he's anonymous to this point doesn't mean he has to be revealed to be someone already introduced, but I could see that happening.

So yeah I guess it's not grasping. Will be interesting to see what is revealed in the coming episodes.

This is actually a show I wouldn't want all the epiaodes in the season to be released at once because it's good to have some time to think about things.

What do you think is inside the safe?
The MiB told Hector that he is mistaken as to what is inside the Safe.

And yet... Hector went to steal it right after.

I'm thinking they put the bullet and drawing inside the safe.

ced

I probably missed something obvious, but how do we know that the MIB is not a host that has somehow figured out how to manipulate the gun system? I mean we know he is looking for the maze now, as has been suggested Dolores does.

drigosr

Have no idea. I also can't remember: Did Hector actually open the safe by the end of the episode? Or Maeve didn't give him all the combination numbers?

I probably missed something obvious, but how do we know that the MIB is not a host that has somehow figured out how to manipulate the gun system? I mean we know he is looking for the maze now, as has been suggested Dolores does.

The park staff talk about him being a player, he's known on the outside world as a philanthropist, and he talks about the outside world.

The staff knows about him, and he's been recognized for his charitable foundation.

Other guests recognize him and try to talk to him this episode about his life outside the park.

Have no idea. I also can't remember: Did Hector actually open the safe by the end of the episode? Or Maeve didn't give him all the combination numbers?

No they didn't open the safe. The sheriff was trying to break down the door when the camera cut.
So they definitely could have opened it by the time they were subdued.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Nothing. It's his personal macguffin to drive his narrative and backstory. It's like with Teddy who only have a vague motivator for his backstory until Ford put in something more specific. Hector is programmed to rob the saloon on a periodic basis as part of his storyline. His objective is to get the safe, he doesn't need to know why, and it doesn't matter.

That's why the MiB told him the piece of advice that the safe he's looking for is a wild goose chase.

CloudWolf

People are seriously still upholding the William = MiB theory? There has to be some serious time fuckery going on for that to be even possible.

ZOONAMI

Nothing. It's his personal macguffin to drive his narrative and backstory. It's like with Teddy who only have a vague motivator for his backstory until Ford put in something more specific. Hector is programmed to rob the saloon on a periodic basis as part of his storyline. His objective is to get the safe, he doesn't need to know why, and it doesn't matter.

That's why the MiB told him the piece of advice that the safe he's looking for is a wild goose chase.

Not necessarily nothing, there might be money in it but my guess is that the saloon heist always results in Hector dying as part of the narrative loop ending, so mib is telling him there's nothing in it for him. Maybe sometimes he gets out of the saloon with the money, and then dies, but my guess is they always have hosts swarm him at the end so they can reset his loop. My guess would be it's at least a 28 day loop so the odds of a guest seeing the same heist more than once is at least diminished.

Top Bottom