• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

duckroll

Teddy is permanently equipped with one of those RPG accessories which increases your encounter rate and reduces the chance of escape to 0%.

Flip4k

I think I'm enjoying the show, but now I wonder, I'm the only one who thinks that it's a little too slow paced? I'm ok with a slow developing of sentience, but I don't know, for a hour long episode each I think they could speed it up a little, but probably it's just me

It's not just you. This exactly how I feel about the show. Love the concept, still waiting for it to really blow me away though.

anyone think that anyone of my theories could be true:

1)maybe ford is arnold for some reason, assuming ford's identity and ford is dead or having his brain used somehow, which feeds into my next theory

2)arnold is alive and they are using his brain somehow for more human mannerisms which is why these things are starting to "listen to arnold" and chant things about arnold

3)i defiinitely think someone working for the park is not real, and that they are an android.
how crazy would it be to find out that Bernard was actually an android of ford's design, and ford uses different phrases for bernard so that no one accidentally turns him off or something. and then the security vp lady is like stunned to find out that she has been sleeping with an android even tho she is so disgusted with androids and the park in general and with the guests that enjoy the park. would be crazy to see her have to deal with that. if they pulled that string, they would probably have to wait for the end of the series tho.

4) definitely waiting to see some mass uprising in the park... kind of just waiting for the first human death in 30 years or whatever, and what is the exact cause of that

FStop7

Banned
I think I'm enjoying the show, but now I wonder, I'm the only one who thinks that it's a little too slow paced? I'm ok with a slow developing of sentience, but I don't know, for a hour long episode each I think they could speed it up a little, but probably it's just me

I'm fine with the pacing of the stuff on the corporate side. But the pacing in the park can be too slow.

Example - they used the "blindfolded Lawrence hears MIB kill everyone around him" routine twice in the space of two episodes.

In a show where repetition of events happens a lot because we see the hosts going through their loops, adding more repetition is kind of annoying. Unless the above is a hint that MIB is also on a loop.

Landford

Banned
I'm expecting a Truman Show-esque escape attempt with Teddy and Dolores at some point this season. I thought it was going to happen after they talked about going to Mexico, but that was obviously just the setup.

Ed Harris is not going to fall for this crap twice.

Faddy

Banned
Sure, but they've crafted a multi-season story for Westworld, and it'll get renewed sooner or later.

The delay could be for a number of reasons like budget or episode count. Westworld doesn't have the same challenges as Game of Thrones so perhaps HBO expect more bang for their buck.

Or it could be good news and they want to wait until the season is over to announce they are renewed for seasons 2 and 3 to try and build some offseason buzz by making a big commitment to the show.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Holy shit, I'm channel surfing and see that Mission Impossible 2 is on, so I watch it because Thandie Newton is in it, and I suddenly hear another familiar voice. I totally forgot that Anthony Hopkins is in this movie too.

duckroll

The delay could be for a number of reasons like budget or episode count. Westworld doesn't have the same challenges as Game of Thrones so perhaps HBO expect more bang for their buck.

Or it could be good news and they want to wait until the season is over to announce they are renewed for seasons 2 and 3 to try and build some offseason buzz by making a big commitment to the show.

The delay probably boils down to production planning. Westworld ran into a lot if problems because the entire season wasn't written when they started shooting. HBO likely doesn't want that happening again. Once the showrunners have the season all worked out and they can agree on budget and scheduling, they will renew it.

The delay probably boils down to production planning. Westworld ran into a lot if problems because the entire season wasn't written when they started shooting. HBO likely doesn't want that happening again. Once the showrunners have the season all worked out and they can agree on budget and scheduling, they will renew it.

Given their history with shows that prominently feature horses, they might not wanna test their Luck >.>

Has there been any dialog in the series that explain why the robots/hosts are created being able to suffer?

Or is it just ye olde standard God complex type of religious dogma that tries to justify the cruelty that happens in humanity as if we can't possibly be humans if we do not suffer?

Do you think it's important to the guests if the hosts suffer or not? For realism of the experience? Even if the guests' invincibility undermines the very realism of that experience?

ugh

I do not know what to do with all of these questions in my head about this show...

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Has there been any dialog in the series that explain why the robots/hosts are created being able to suffer?

Or is it just ye olde standard God complex type of religious dogma that tries to justify the cruelty that happens in humanity as if we can't possibly be humans if we do not suffer?

Do you think it's important to the guests if the hosts suffer or not? For realism of the experience? Even if the guests' invincibility undermines the very realism of that experience?

ugh

I do not know what to do with all of these questions in my head about this show...

I think you might be overthinking it. The hosts are designed to be as human as possible. They can think, they can feel, and they can suffer. It's all for the realism.

3)i defiinitely think someone working for the park is not real, and that they are an android.
how crazy would it be to find out that Bernard was actually an android of ford's design, and ford uses different phrases for bernard so that no one accidentally turns him off or something.

I've just caught up this week, and I am assuming Bernard is not real.

1. They make a point about tragic backstories shortly before Bernard is given one. That's either meta commentary or a hint.

2. There's a contrivance about how hard it is to communicate outside Westworld. That's maybe setup for future plot, but also really convenient that he doesn't have to interact with random people/supposed people from his backstory.

Bernard is Ford's pet project, I'm guessing. And Bernard's decision to experiment with Delores coupled with Ford's upgrade lead to whatever havoc is coming.

I imagine Ford felt like God already, wanted to see if he could create God so he could attain the next level.

Also, in the original movie, there's a it about how the robots themselves were designed by other machines. This thematically fits that.

I think you might be overthinking it. The hosts are designed to be as human as possible. They can think, they can feel, and they can suffer. It's all for the realism.

you think so? i keep running into concepts that i cant quite reconcile well in my head in westworld

is it all for the realism? there are other aspects in ww that seems to run counter to that very idea to me....

.... am i overthinking things? seems like this thread is full with thinking, but maybe i'm not thinking about things in the right way. i will try to stop thinking about things.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
you think so? i keep running into concepts that i cant quite reconcile well in my head in westworld

is it all for the realism? there are other aspects in ww that seems to run counter to that very idea to me....

.... am i overthinking things? seems like this thread is full with thinking, but maybe i'm not thinking about things in the right way. i will try to stop thinking about things.

Yes. In the pilot episode Lee Sizemore (the narrative director) even complained about that they are so realistic that he wanted them to roll back the updates and make them more like robots again.

Yes. In the pilot episode Lee Sizemore (the narrative director) even complained about that they are so realistic that he wanted them to roll back the updates and make them more like robots again.

Yes i remember that. But that doesn't really explain why they are made to be able to suffer. Which is, of course (we all know), is one of the biggest questions people would ask a hypothetical god. The parallel isn't lost on anyone. Specially if the answer is for 'humanity'.

I mean, the show seems to be eager to say ww is realistic when it suits them and when there are aspects that aren't very realistic, they are handwaved. I can't reconcile that. In my head.

But yeah... I will try to stop thinking. Trying. Trying.

-griffy-

Banned
Yes i remember that. But that doesn't really explain why they are made to be able to suffer. Which is, of course (we all know), is one of the biggest questions people would ask a hypothetical god. The parallel isn't lost on anyone. Specially if the answer is for 'humanity'.

I mean, the show seems to be eager to say ww is realistic when it suits them and when there are aspects that aren't very realistic, they are handwaved. I can't reconcile that. In my head.

But yeah... I will try to stop thinking. Trying. Trying.

The justification is that they think the suffering doesn't matter because the hosts are not human, and their memory wipes make them forget. They think they don't actually "feel" anything, they are just programmed to, and the programming is reset every loop. The employees and guests just treat them as if they are elaborate game pieces essentially. Of course we are seeing that thinking is faulty now as more are becoming self aware.

They're just robots

HGIb.gif

They don't suffer or think or feel anything. They aren't alive

Is what the common visitor will be thinking. The only reason we as the audience are asking these questions is because we know otherwise

caliph95

It's the same reason people don't feel guilty committing genocide and massacre in open world games. They are just npc's, so you're not really hurting anybody because they are not real people. Which is honestly why i'm hesitant to call the guests evil because they are doing the same stuff gamer doing while playing. Plus it's more "fun" that hosts act human it's better for immersion and easier to play out fantasy. It would just be boring if the robots don't respond regardless of what you do and remind you how fake it is. It's fake but sometimes you don't want the game to remind you how fake it is.

ugh

They aren't suffering, they're just displaying the visual appearance of suffering. When ever the management talks to robots they're always telling them to turn down emotional affectation and such. You're falling into the trap that the writers have set up for the audience to think of the robots as people.

They aren't suffering, they're just displaying the visual appearance of suffering. When ever the management talks to robots they're always telling them to turn down emotional affectation and such. You're falling into the trap that the writers have set up for the audience to think of the robots as people.
Brain surgeons today could remove part of your brain to reduce your emotions. Does that change anything about your experience?

Joni

If you can disable the ability to feel and react to pain and experience any ill effects from pain, is it still painful?

There are humans that can't feel pain, that don't even know they should be in pain. Does it make them less human? By what we see here, they still seem to be growing to human like minds.

There are humans that can't feel pain, that don't even know they should be in pain. Does it make them less human? By what we see here, they still seem to be growing to human like minds.
Yes, but those humans will still suffer physically from those wounds, get an infection, get sick, die. A Host won't. The pain, reaction to pain, and debilitating effects of injuries are all an illusion.

If you can disable the ability to feel and react to pain and experience any ill effects from pain, is it still painful?
Why are you guys only talking about physical pain? The hosts are clearly experiencing a lot more than that.

These clearly have consciousness to some degree, as we are shown what it is like to be a host from their point of view.

Joni

Yes, but those humans will still suffer physically from those wounds, get an infection, get sick, die. A Host won't. The pain, reaction to pain, and debilitating effects of injuries are all an illusion.

They don't seem immune to the effects, Maeve did suffer from that infection. It is just that is easier to heal those Hosts, although that is debatable. We don't know the advances of regular medicine. Gunshot wounds in humans might be healable as well.

They don't seem immune to the effects, Maeve did suffer from that infection. It is just that is easier to heal those Hosts, although that is debatable. We don't know the advances of regular medicine. Gunshot wounds in humans might be healable as well.
The flesh "covering"? was infected. Doesn't mean the host would suffer any effects. Like how Terminator's skin can age and be damaged, but that won't bother or affect the machine underneath

caliph95

The flesh "covering"? was infected. Doesn't mean the host would suffer any effects. Like how Terminator's skin can age and be damaged, but that won't bother or affect the machine underneath
How do they work anyway. Is it a terminator thing where it's skin over metal or do they have a bunch of fake organs.

I doubt it affects them since that would cause more problems for the employees.

How do they work anyway. Is it a terminator thing where it's skin over metal or do they have a bunch of fake organs.

I doubt it affects them since that would cause more problems for the employees.
There was a featurette posted earlier in the thread that might have an answer, but the scene in question is pretty spoilery

Burt

When Maeve is gettin fixed up by the girl from behavior and they're talking about dreams, they say that they give them the concept of nightmares just in case someone forgets to wipe them after repairs, so "if she's got any dreams it's just those sloppy fucks in the maintenance shop patching her up again".

Not really pertinent to anything anyone's talking about now, but it explains in part how the Native American religion could exist and persist without any purposeful or direct action on the part of the employees, which was a question I had.

The Bernard is a host theory is more ridiculous than William's from the past. He/it would have to be Ford's pet project, generations(plural) ahead of anything else. It would also render the whole park obsolete if we are to subscribe to the many hints of some bigger machinery driving this operation for reasons other than profit margin. Bernard is already there then, pack it up.

Agree that it's still an outlandish idea with the evidence that we currently have, but I will add the caveat that Ford and Delos seem to be at odds on most things, so it wouldn't be out of the question for Ford to hide just how far he's personally come.

I mean, for the first couple episodes before we got hints at this larger storyline, I definitely asked myself a few times, "So what does Ford do all day?"

Couple things

1) Ed Harris is like the guy who wants to beat a game 100% and will spend hours just getting that last %. pretty cool how this show is pretty much a super advanced video game. Hopefully there are more characters like that that we encounter.

2) Bernard is probably a robot. It makes sense and explains the way hes treated by Ford, the way he acts, his vague past, the story arc with his boss whos worried about board members, and his seemingly immediate access to Delores etc. This seems too obvious though so I dont know if they would actually do that.

3) The routines for the robots are confusing. What if someone kidnaps Maeve for example? When she wakes up does she suddenly forget everything? How long does their memory last? Im guessing if theyre with a guest, they dont forgot what happened in the last day and will continue with the guest's path (ie. Delores). But if theyre left on their own, they follow their built-in path and reboot as scheduled.

4) Lotsss of symbolism with the moon going on.

TTG

The Bernard is a host theory is more ridiculous than William's from the past. He/it would have to be Ford's pet project, generations(plural) ahead of anything else. It would also render the whole park obsolete if we are to subscribe to the many hints of some bigger machinery driving this operation for reasons other than profit margin. Bernard is already there then, pack it up.

I am assuming he *is* Ford's pet project, and that he's an advanced prototype of a new generation.

I don't understand how that would make the park obsolete, even if it has another purpose.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

When I say "overthinking things", I don't mean that as a recommendation to stop thinking. That phrase means that you might be trying too hard to find some kind of grand pattern, and that it's possible that the easiest explanation is the simplest one.

For a review on realism, watch again the conversation between Theresa and Sizemore again in episode 1.

duckroll

Bernard being a host would require a lot more contrived deception than any of the other wild theories about the show. Not that it's impossible, but there isn't any real smoking gun for it unlike the logos and the deliberate segmenting of character paths in the park.

Top Bottom