• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Makai

I don't see conclusive proof in the preview, but I guess we'll see next episode. One last hurrah!

I'm back on that train after Lawrence + Executive VP William

Sean C

The nature of what people are all looking for (some leftover legacy of the late founder buried within the game) is clearer now, which helps me appreciate the series a lot more.

Typical James Marsden luck, riding to save his lady, but she's shacking up with somebody else (I guess this is going to be the vehicle for exploring human/robot love; Logan can go back to his sister and explain how her fiancee ran off with one of the amusement park attractions).

Can some describe the preview? Can't find it on the app.

some guests go haywire and kill people during analysis, maeve requests reprogramming and narrative changes because she's self aware now and understands the reality of the world, Bernard addresses unknown adversary risking his entire park, William's asshole brother in law grabs Dolores by the pussy.

JoeBoy101

Delores, a host, shoots another host. I get that I'm supposed to care, but I really don't care.

It was the fact that she has changed her persona. She's been playing the damsel in distress up to that point, but with that act, she's realizing she can act of her own accord.

So Maeve realizing the nature of the world is all she needed to assume full cognitive control of herself? Putting her in sleep mode apparently doesn't work. And I get the impression that she's been intentionally dying so she can learn all she can learn and about the real world and plan. This was a large, sudden jump.

"These violent delights, have violent ends." Pretty sure this phrase unlocks past memory for hosts and possibly higher cognition. Maeve realized her world and the weird shit happening to her, but I think this time she woke up is the first time she intentionally died. Remember, she had been sitting there for a while, listening to them.

Mashing

Why did the bottle of Whiskey that Ford served to MiB have Lawrence's name on it? It may be nothing, or I'm missing the meaning of that.

It was the fact that she has changed her persona. She's been playing the damsel in distress up to that point, but with that act, she's realizing she can act of her own accord.

It's more than that. She's not programmed to be able to be violent. She developed that capacity on her own (see: barn scene).

ZOONAMI

Guys, william and mib basically confirmed to be on the same timeline. Ford conversation with delores pegs Arnold's death at 35 years ago. Same thing mib said in convo with Ford.

Lawrence being alive again is either a loop reset or there are 2 Lawrence bodies.

kris.

Banned
Guys, william and mib basically confirmed to be on the same timeline. Ford conversation with delores pegs Arnold's death at 35 years ago. Same thing mib said in convo with Ford.

Lawrence being alive again is either a loop reset or there are 2 Lawrence bodies.

to be completely fair, MiB says he's been in the park for 30 years, not 35. Logan never said how long it had been since Arnold died. it could still fit.

ZOONAMI

to be completely fair, MiB says he's been in the park for 30 years, not 35. Logan never said how long it had been since Arnold died. it could still fit.

In the conversation with Ford mib mentions Arnold dying 35 years ago.

It really doesn't fit, and really never has. There have been multiple sequences where mib being william would not make any sense from a narrative perspective.

royalan

"These violent delights, have violent ends." Pretty sure this phrase unlocks past memory for hosts and possibly higher cognition. Maeve realized her world and the weird shit happening to her, but I think this time she woke up is the first time she intentionally died. Remember, she had been sitting there for a while, listening to them.

It seems to have done more than that. Maeve is not only more cognitive, she seems to be in full control of herself. She died, but kept herself "alive." I'm also going to choose to read into that bird perfectly landing on her finger. Does she have Ford-like god powers now?

I think the juiciest thing out of the episode for me was Ford casually implying in his conversation that with Delores that he is Arnold. Strangely, it would make sense. And it was explain why nobody has apparently ever seen Arnold, except Delores.

jackdoe

It sure looks like
William and the MiB have the same knife
in that preview. But who knows? Everything is a giant mindfuck anyway, so anything can happen.

kris.

Banned

It really doesn't fit, and really never has. There have been multiple sequences where mib being william would not make any sense from a narrative perspective.

i know, and i'm saying that the MiB has said on multiple occasions that he's been visiting the park for 30 years, not 35. when Logan has the conversation with William about the park's creators, he never mentions how long it had been since Arnold died. could be that William's visit is taking place 5 years after Arnold's death.

Bearthgar

Banned
It seems to have done more than that. Maeve is not only more cognitive, she seems to be in full control of herself. She died, but kept herself "alive." I'm also going to choose to read into that bird perfectly landing on her finger. Does she have Ford-like god powers now?

I think the juiciest thing out of the episode for me was Ford casually implying in his conversation that with Delores that he is Arnold. Strangely, it would make sense. And it was explain why nobody has apparently ever seen Arnold, except Delores.

She doesn't have godlike powers and he never implied he was Arnold...

Sean C

The biggest issue I have with the theory that William is the young MIB is, how does that not render Dolores' arc on the show pretty much pointless? If all these scenes are taking place in the past, then all this personal evolution we're following has no meaning, because she gets reset and put back in her place for another thirty years. Actually, if the Dolores stuff is in the past, what's even happening with Dolores?

I agree. William=MiB would be an incredibly cheap twist after this episode.

ZOONAMI

i know, and i'm saying that the MiB has said on multiple occasions that he's been in the park for 30 years, not 35. when Logan has the conversation with William about the park's creators, he never mentions how long it had been since Arnold died. could be that William's visit is taking place 5 years after Arnold's death.

Right but you're completely dismissing the scene sequence of Delores passing out at the day of the dead at Ford's command and having a conversation with him about Arnold and the voices. Her last contact was 34 years ago x amount of days and hours.

It's dead and has been since the end of ep 3 when Delores was going all wonkey and stubled into Williams camp.

ultron87

I don't want this to be the twist, but MiB does mention that he saved the park from the downturn after Arnold's death, and Logan made it sound like the park was "currently" losing money due to that.

ZOONAMI

I don't want this to be the twist, but MiB does mention that he saved the park from the downturn after Arnold's death, and Logan suggested the park was "currently" losing money due to that.

The park is obviously not in good shape in the current timeline either, they won't even fix the hvac in the cold storage. It seems like the hq was once in much better shape.

It seems like Arnold dying is not common knowledge as even Logan said no one even knows who he is. If he is unknown person who died under mysterious circumstances it may be just rumors even 35 years later as part of why the park isn't doing well, or if covered up it may have taken 30+ years for rumors about a founder dying to even surface where a competitor would find out about it.

Westworld in general seems very secretive, hence someone trying to smuggle out info using a host as discovered in this episode.

Flo_Evans

Hmmmmm

For a hot minute I thought ford just said he was Arnold.

I think Arnold might have uploaded his consciousness into him. Not really clear need to watch that scene again.

He also says he was trying to destroy the park 30 years ago (presumably so Delos couldnt take over?)

I do find it strange Williams lines about the outside being free from worry but all the employees seem super nervous about losing thier jobs.

ZOONAMI

Hmmmmm

For a hot minute I thought ford just said he was Arnold.

I think Arnold might have uploaded his consciousness into him. Not really clear need to watch that scene again.

He also says he was trying to destroy the park 30 years ago (presumably so Delos couldnt take over?)

I do find it strange Williams lines about the outside being free from worry but all the employees seem super nervous about losing thier jobs.

When are people not worried about losing their job? I imagine a westworld gig would pay pretty well given its relative isolation.

Mib also said the real world is pretty much perfect other than finding meaning.

jfkgoblue

People are so desperate for MiB=William that they are clinging to things that are unrelated and using it as "proof"

It's dead guys let it go

~Kinggi~

Banned
Great episode. Everyone comparing this to Lost must have forgotten Lost. This already has far more focus and activity going on. Lost would spend a season arriving to a conclusion there was even a "Maze"

Flo_Evans

When are people not worried about losing their job? I imagine a westworld gig would pay pretty well given its relative isolation.

Mib also said the real world is pretty much perfect other than finding meaning.

Oh was that mib?

Lot of info in this episode need to rewatch.

Who the hell put that transmitter in the woodcutter? Had to be one of the "butchers" in livestock. Why is everyone so terrified of the behavior people? Who is Lawrence rebelling against? Didnarnold really die or did he upload himself someone "find me" is that real or is Delores telling herself to find herself.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Great episode. Everyone comparing this to Lost must have forgotten Lost. This already has far more focus and activity going on. Lost would spend a season arriving to a conclusion there was even a "Maze"

It's definitely a more focused show than Lost, but I could do without anymore flashbacks for the rest of this show's life and be just fine.

People are so desperate for MiB=William that they are clinging to things that are unrelated and using it as "proof"

It's dead guys let it go
I wouldn't say it's 100% dead. I'm thinking it'll end up all being in the same time line but Ehhhh... It's still fun to speculate otherwise. No harm in it.

Catdaddy

Decided to watch this instead of TWD, such a compelling show. I guess this was the episode (or one of them) that caused the stir for the nude extra casting call document that leaked.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yeeee, Dolores putting that work in. Pretty on the nose commentary about not wanting to be the damsel. I guess it's there for people who need it spelled out to them.

The showrunners must be purposefully editing the show so that people get the inclination that William is the MiB, but don't show any definitive proof. Pretty clever, I have to say.

That scene with Harris and Hopkins. So good. Kudos to the casting director for being able to populate this show with these thespian gods.

Arkeband

Banned
thank fuck the william = mib theory is dead

Unless we get some kind of explanation as to why bullets literally threw William backwards and left a giant welt on his chest, and why his brother in law was getting beat the fuck up by hosts, there's still a good chance these stories are asynchronous.

Unless we get some kind of explanation as to why bullets literally threw William backwards and left a giant welt on his chest, and why his brother in law was getting beat the fuck up by hosts, there's still a good chance these stories are asynchronous.

The further out you go, the higher the diffulty setting is. They said that episode one, that's it's more dangerous out in the wilderness areas.

Top Bottom