• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did Sony and Microsoft decided to kill console gaming?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
At this point there is literally no reason not to be on your PC exclusively with Steam installed.
false-wrong.gif

Console still dominates in the price and convenience space. Plus, as more and more people flock to their one game, the allure of having access to "all the games" diminishes.

King Dazzar

At this point there is literally no reason not to be on your PC exclusively with Steam installed. Even with both today’s console, neither company is even technically playing to their strengths in terms of hardware and software design which has allowed the PC to be a far better experience. With out Nintendo, console gaming is essentially done (obviously there’s emulation sabotaging Nintendo’s latest console but for argument sake..). What’s the reason behind Sony and Microsoft throwing in the towel?
s reactions series GIF

Speak for yourself. The PS5 is baller as F. I got so many games in the backlog. Yea, Steam is great but I only have so much time and indies and AA deliver the games I want on PS5. Couple in PSVR2 providing non-PC owners, like myself, the ability to experience VR. I got the Portal too for living room or bedroom gaming.

Console gaming only sucks if you have shit taste and rely on AAA garbage. Gaming gets better every year because there's more games than ever to choose from and no shortage of ways to revisit retro classics. I got the Satiator for Saturn, Free McBoot for PS2, PSPgo for 240p PSX goodness. The Retroid Pocket 3+ for DC emulation, etc. I'm eating over here bruh, my plate is full.

Like my man Arnold said, "Stop whining."
I remember the Psone being the ultimate Blockbuster store machine because of the crazy ass catalog. I don’t see that with the PS5, not only is the catalog meh but I rather just be on my PC.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
It’s easy to make consoles the enemy in of gamers eyes they make fun of consoles that they feel like a school yard toy.

Jaybe

You’re bang on OP! Sony and Microsoft even had the audacity to put beloved franchises like Fallout, Halo, and The Last of Us to television, so every plebeian with their shared streaming account can wallow in these franchises without even engaging in gaming media!

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Same for same PC loading times is not much better.
You can put SSD to a ps4, but old-gen engine is an old-gen engine.
Now we know for sure that you are talking BS about PC gaming out your ass. The driver situation already gave a clue.

Last edited:
Games cost too much to make now to be tied to one console (however many it sells), it’s as simple as that. They are starting to take the games to the players, rather than hoping the players come to them…

You’re bang on OP! Sony and Microsoft even had the audacity to put beloved franchises like Fallout, Halo, and The Last of Us to television, so every plebeian with their shared streaming account can wallow in these franchises without even engaging in gaming media!
Jaybe, facts, they literally just gave up, they sold out. I deadass didn’t watch none of them tv shows.

DryvBy

It is not as inexpensive as a console, but you could out a reasonable system together for under $1K (not including a monitor).

At least that’s the case in US, as I am not sure about prices outside.
I have a decent PC already. I can't do another one because the PC bro universe took over and made the prices ridiculous to upgrade. And the upgrades feel like miniscule.

My wife and kid likes watching me play so PS5 it is.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
That's not really relevant to the discussion. The first sentence in the OP was wrong, that's all I'm saying.
It is relevant for everyone that don't play only "the entry".

There there, calm down, I'll buy you another gamepad to add to your collection.

Snes, Dual Analog, DS3, DS4, Steam Deck, and Quest 2 controllers are more than enough, but thank you.

Last edited:
At this point there is literally no reason not to be on your PC exclusively with Steam installed. Even with both today’s console, neither company is even technically playing to their strengths in terms of hardware and software design which has allowed the PC to be a far better experience. With out Nintendo, console gaming is essentially done (obviously there’s emulation sabotaging Nintendo’s latest console but for argument sake..). What’s the reason behind Sony and Microsoft throwing in the towel?
Mismanagement by big corporations managers. They think they are going to quickly make billions on PC.

They pushed me to PC with their push to digital and I thank them for it. My gaming life has never been better. Will still get a PS6 but Xbox can die. Don't want nothing to do with those morons.

dcx4610

I think they understand that the money is in the games and that it's just a means to the end. Hardware has always been traditionally a loss leader. Meaning that Sony will sell you a PlayStation, actually lose money for your buying the console but they will make it up with game sales. They have to get the hardware into your home to sell the product. It's giving away the razor to sell the razor blades. Recently, that's changed a little bit and they do make slight profit off the hardware but not to the point of it mattering.

If they can just sell you the games on PC or anywhere else without having to build hardware, R&D, etc., that's just more money for them. I do think we'll continue to see consoles for awhile but think it will be pretty standard to see Sony put software on PC going forward but possibly lock them behind a PlayStation app.

Felessan

Now we know for sure that you are talking BS about PC gaming out your ass. The driver situation already gave a clue.
Yeah, yeah, for sure. Delusional bubble is strong though.

I am neither nerd nor IT guy. And dont have much time at hand (and I really hate those PC "issues") - so it's understandable that I mock geeks that like it and had too much free time to play on PC.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Here we go..
A mobile gaming device in the same vein as a iPhone as it does the same things(minus phone calls) with the differences being the mobile chipsets are more advanced in iPhone's and Nintendo is known as a console(home and mobile) maker.
So my Steam Deck is in the same vein as an Iphone. Got it.

Last edited:

simpatico

Gold Member
Listen Lumpy... There was a time when I had a bad ass Discman. Nice headphones and a tasteful wallet of CDs. I used that Discman every day and couldn't imagine a world without it. Didn't want to. But the years pass, love blooms and wanes. Days go by and so do forms of technology. If it makes you feel any better, x86 gaming PCs aren't that far behind them. You might be able to hide out there for a period of time, but the reaper already has it marked as well. If you want a taste of the future kid, go download Resident Evil Village for your iPhone 15 Pro and put a controller shell on your phone, or check out a game streaming app on your smart TV. Better yet, start writing prompts for the AI generated gaming future. Everyone just plays bespoke AI created games that are generated on the spot. "Computer make me a Souls-like, with Kojima writing and directing set in 1970's Rio. I'm a rouge motorcycle cop with a sentient Berretta 93R. Graphical level of Death Stranding 3 and give it the tight FromSoft locomotion and combat feel"

Last edited:
I have no idea what this sites obsession is with pretending that PC gaming is some sort of holy grail with no issues. I was just listening to my cousin bitch about Elden Ring still stuttering on his PC in the DLC. If you like PC gaming great but I've been there done that and I can come up with a pretty nice list of issues on PC gaming. I agree the combination of Xbox and PS games is great and I'd have no issues waiting for games to come out but there are many other issues with PC gaming that lead me to selling off the hardware I could.

StereoVsn

I have a decent PC already. I can't do another one because the PC bro universe took over and made the prices ridiculous to upgrade. And the upgrades feel like miniscule.

My wife and kid likes watching me play so PS5 it is.
Prices are generally reasonable except for GPUs and even there, those aren’t “too bad”. You could also hook up a PC to a TV easily enough.

That said, PS5 is easier and cheaper, no question.

I remember the Psone being the ultimate Blockbuster store machine because of the crazy ass catalog. I don’t see that with the PS5, not only is the catalog meh but I rather just be on my PC.
Gotta remember too that non-PC gamers generally don't pay close attention to whatever is happening on Steam. I have no problem accepting that PC really is the master race, but consoles are plenty solid due to all the indies and AA that support them, which are also on Steam. It's only AAA that is meh and lucky for you, Sony is bringing it over to PC, lol. Plenty of meh to go around.

StereoVsn

I have no idea what this sites obsession is with pretending that PC gaming is some sort of holy grail with no issues. I was just listening to my cousin bitch about Elden Ring still stuttering on his PC in the DLC. If you like PC gaming great but I've been there done that and I can come up with a pretty nice list of issues on PC gaming. I agree the combination of Xbox and PS games is great and I'd have no issues waiting for games to come out but there are many other issues with PC gaming that lead me to selling off the hardware I could.
Elden Ring is still shit both on PS5 and XSX. The “reliable” way to run it on the console is through PS4 mode on PS5.

At least that was the situation like 6 months back. Mostly a lot of players on PC are picky because the expectation is that these issues shouldn’t occur on their $2-3K machines. And Devs just don’t care.

Elden Ring is still shit both on PS5 and XSX. The “reliable” way to run it on the console is through PS4 mode on PS5.

At least that was the situation like 6 months back. Mostly a lot of players on PC are picky because the expectation is that these issues shouldn’t occur on their $2-3K machines. And Devs just don’t care.
Yea, I'm still running ps4 ER on ps5.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I'm sure everyone here has literally $2000 to spend freely on a modern custom-build PC.

Posts like this are so stupid. For $500 you can build or buy a PC that is far more powerful than an Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5.

58d58233112f7060008b6d34

/s

Last edited:
PC is great in some ways but let’s be real, PC is one of the most annoying ways to play a video game.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Your steam deck isn't as capable as a iPhone so no.
But the Switch is. Got it.

I have no idea what this sites obsession is with pretending that PC gaming is some sort of holy grail with no issues.
What sites are those?

PC is great in some ways but let’s be real, PC is one of the most annoying ways to play a video game.
All that almost perfect IQs at 21+:9 with best graphics, insanely good frame rates and input lag, best controllers for every game type, mods, free online are annoying af.

Last edited:

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Even with all the software updates these days consoles are still a far more streamlined and optimized gaming experience.

Last edited:

I played it on PS5 with the PS5 version and got the plat recently ran fine to me. Then again a lot of times when people say there are "issues" it's all fine to me. Even on PC when I would play games that people said have issues they ran fine to me so maybe I just don't notice half this stuff that people are mentioning.

Last edited:
This is bullshit. Only console that is dying here is Xbox. Stop trying to lump Sony in with that dying platform. Sony has sold over 61 million consoles this gen without a price drop and we aren't even 4 years into the gen. By every metric they are widely successful, same with Nintendo. The only console brand that is dying and becoming irrelevant is Xbox. This "SonyToo" bullshit meme needs to die because it's not based in any sort of reality. In the real world there are plenty of reasons for people to still play on consoles and many people enjoy playing on consoles, myself included and I own a top of the line gaming PC that runs rings around my PS5 when it comes to power and performance. Consoles are just very convenient and cheap and that's their appeal. They will continue to remain popular for many years to come even after Xbox stops existing and dies out.

I'm sure everyone here has literally $2000 to spend freely on a modern custom-build PC.
My PC costs $3000 and even I don't think that way, it's nonsense.

S0ULZB0URNE

But the Switch is. Got it.

What sites are those?

All that almost perfect IQs at 21+:9 with best graphics, insanely good frame rates and input lag, best controllers for every game type, mods, free online are annoying af.
No switch isn't as capable in anyway as a IPhone and we don't call IPhone a home console.

PatientGamer

Gold Member
This only applies to Microsoft really. Nintendo and PlayStation are performing better than they ever have, both in units, subscriptions & revenue.

This gen only feels like a Sony fail because we're comparing their PS5 first party output to what they usually do in generations prior. But game development & costs have skyrocketed, so its even a surprise that they've released as much as they has.

Look at all the first party greatness they've released (or about to) this generation, excluding remakes & remasters...

- Astro Bot
- Astro's Playroom
- Destruction All-stars
- God of War Ragnarok
- Gran Turismo 7
- Helldivers 2
- Horizon Forbidden West
- Horizon Call of the Mountain
- Lego Horizon Adventures
- Marvel's Spiderman 2
- Marvels Miles Morales
- MLB The Show 21-24
- Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart
- Returnal
- Rise of the Ronin
- Sackboy: A Big Adventure

I mean that's not half bad at all in the space of ~4 years; not including TLOU Part 1, TLOU 2 remastered etc.

Just cause Microsoft is trash, doesn't mean the whole industry is.

Top Bottom