• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did Sony and Microsoft decided to kill console gaming?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
MS killed their own console division whilst trying to act like Nintendo and Sony are in the same lane as them when they're not.

When GTA6 releases, Switch 2 comes out and a proper PS Handheld releases, we'll see how healthy the Console Industry actually is and that it's just been Xbox being deadweight the last two generations.

End of story.
work smile GIF

Consoles are limiting growth opportunities. They're looking at much broader options that would likely be additive, not subtracting options.
Even as a long time PC gamer I was still able to qualitatively see the value in consoles back in the day because of the unique catalog of titles that were built on the foundation of leveraging the technology and design; Today, that’s not the case anymore because of the decisions made by Sony and Microsoft for their console sectors.

Guilty_AI

They didn't kill console gaming, they just don't have much reason to invest in exclusives anymore.

Majority of these platforms revenue comes from 2 or 3 GAAS games and people buy their consoles to play these games anyway. Besides, there's nigh 0 appeal to some exclusive game when every major platform has hundreds of decent to great games on their catalogs.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Even as a long time PC gamer I was still able to qualitatively see the value in consoles back in the day because of the unique catalog of titles that were built on the foundation of leveraging the technology and design; Today, that’s not the case anymore because of the decisions made by Sony and Microsoft for their console sectors.
People here like to stick their head in the sand and ignore future trends. Scared of change.

You can get virtually all console games now from Sony and MS on PC, and more will keep coming. Every 3rd party publisher is focusing on PC now. Consoles aren't growing their audience, and we all know that younger generations are not going to replace us with the same interest. At the same time, costs keep rising. Iceberg dead ahead, time to slowly turn the Titanic a little bit out of the way.

Coming in the next few years, more devices that streamline PC user interface like Steam Deck does. Coming in the next few years, digital storefronts for PS and Xbox on all devices.

You can buy a console if you still want to, but the goal is going to be selling software in as many places as humanly possible and having your log-in go with you. The only thing that will eventually threaten "consoles" as we know them today is the end of subsidization. We already are seeing pressure on that as well with component cost increase instead of decreasing over time.

Nydius

JohnnyFootball, here’s the catalog on Steam, I also seen they added the PS VR 2 app.

ZrLTfk3.jpeg

With the exception of Helldivers 2 (and the soon to be DOA released Concord), all of those games took years to be ported to PC after their respective console releases, where they sold millions, sometimes tens of millions, of copies.

There’s a marked difference between dropping day one on both console and PC and maintaining console exclusivity for a few years until the PC port. Feels like we have to reiterate this point around here daily.

soulbait

I do not know why this needs to be said over and over again but: there are many gamers, and I would say they are still the majority, that do not like gaming on PCs. As long that is the case, even if the games are being released date/day on PC, consoles still have a place. They are expanding to PC for more money due to a market being there, but there is still a console market.

Go to a house with multiple children, and tell me how many families are able to afford more than one gaming PC. You will not find too many of them.

Just because gaming on a PC fulfills all of your gaming needs, it does not mean it is the same for everyone else. For me, I could build a $3,500+ monster of a gaming PC right now if I wanted to, and it would not impact me financially. However, I prefer gaming on consoles, so therefore I won't do it.

Console gaming is alive and well. Just because you are no longer in that space and fill a need for yourself, it does not mean others are not still in that space.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Consoles went extinct after the great console war. Only Nintendo remained, limping along on handheld technology from 2017. Unfortunately, joycons were in short supply. More analog sticks were breaking down every day with no way to replace them. I fell to my knees in prayer, looking for any sign of hope. Then I saw him! There, in the sky! It was GabeN riding a cloud of steam! I lifted my voice to the heavens, begging for my plea to revive consoles to be heard. GabeN, looking down from on high, heard my plea! He stopped and looked down on me from his misty throne and spoke one word:

No.

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
When you find me a $450 PC build that can play Spider-Man 2, or God of War Ragnarok, or even TLoU2 with the same level of performance as the $450 consoles you can play them on, we can talk about the death of consoles. Until then, it's still the most economical option for most people.

Caio

I was expecting much more from 1st Party, but 3rd party games have been amazing; I can't complain, all in all.
Hopefully new IPs will come end of Gen, and Next Gen. MS and Sony killing Console gaming, well, no.

Kacho

Gold Member
They didn't decide to kill it, the market is just changing. Very curious to see what Sony does next gen because the MORE POWAH + increasing budgets and dev time strategy probably isn't gonna cut it.

Microsoft is a non-factor now. Their talk of chasing the handheld space seems more like a desperate hail Mary before closing shop for good.

SNG32

The only ones that killed their console is Microsoft. Sony on the other hand still give you a reason to purchase a PS5. Not all games are day and date on PC from Sonys side and also they still have some third party exclusives not on PC yet. Some people don’t want to wait 2 or 3 years to play a Sony console exclusive. Besides one of the biggest games in the world GTA 6 is coming first to console so that’s a big incentive too have a console . As for Microsoft you might as well just get a pc because you get all the first party exclusives plus all the Japanese games that never get released on Xbox.

Im a PC gamer but I will always have a console beside it. Maybe not an Xbox but a Sony and Nintendo console for sure. Until Sony and Nintendo release everything day and date on PC ain’t no way I’m giving up on console gaming.

welshrat

What about those who love their consoles? What about those whose office setup doesn't play nice with the living room and can't hook up their PCs to the TV in the living room? What about those who value the simplicity of consoles? What about those who are on a smaller budget and only have $600 for a gaming machine? What about...

Yeah, you get the point. Do we need this thread every week? This shit is lame.
Lol. It's the same shit every week. I don't think they understand that people like different things. I don't want my pc in my living room. I like the PSN ecosystem, I like trophies, I like to play with my mate whilst we are both in our living rooms with a glass of wine.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

At this point there is literally no reason not to be on your PC exclusively with Steam installed. Even with both today’s console, neither company is even technically playing to their strengths in terms of hardware and software design which has allowed the PC to be a far better experience. With out Nintendo, console gaming is essentially done (obviously there’s emulation sabotaging Nintendo’s latest console but for argument sake..). What’s the reason behind Sony and Microsoft throwing in the towel?
I think it was a mistake for Sony to start putting their exclusives on PC. It ruins their longer term strategy and doesn’t make PS5 a must have.

They in turn lowers user base and lowers long term licensing fees they can get. But then again, who cares about long term strategy in our current best quarter report day and age.

As can be quite succinctly seen in Intel and Boeing.

Then again, as primarily a PC gamer I kind of love it.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
I have both PC and PS5 but i still prefer the console for convenience
The menus is a big part of it, yes you get more pixels and frames but I don't care that much about it

sainraja

it is much easier to get a console to play games on vs getting a PC, knowing where to go, knowing what to manage/how to manage. Consoles aren't as "plug-and-play" as they use to be, but they are still easier compared to setting up a PC for gaming.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
At this point there is literally no reason not to be on your PC exclusively with Steam installed. Even with both today’s console, neither company is even technically playing to their strengths in terms of hardware and software design which has allowed the PC to be a far better experience. With out Nintendo, console gaming is essentially done (obviously there’s emulation sabotaging Nintendo’s latest console but for argument sake..). What’s the reason behind Sony and Microsoft throwing in the towel?

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Because they are both greedy cunts. They were more profitable than ever before but wanted more cash and in the end decided to commit seppuku. Xbox is already dead. PS will survive just because its the only game in town after Nintendo exited the console business to chase handhelds. But i think something's gotta give and sony will soon feel some consequences of their own. the sales are down two quarters in a row and their latest quarter was well behind ps4's. We are starting to see the same shit we saw with the xbox one sales that fell off a cliff after they started porting over their games to PC mid way through last gen.

MS blurring the lines between PC and console on the Xbox side made the console irrelevant. I'm about to sell my Series X and start using my Steam Deck/Lenovo Go for PC handheld stuff.

Speak for yourself. The PS5 is baller as F. I got so many games in the backlog. Yea, Steam is great but I only have so much time and indies and AA deliver the games I want on PS5. Couple in PSVR2 providing non-PC owners, like myself, the ability to experience VR. I got the Portal too for living room or bedroom gaming.

Console gaming only sucks if you have shit taste and rely on AAA garbage. Gaming gets better every year because there's more games than ever to choose from and no shortage of ways to revisit retro classics. I got the Satiator for Saturn, Free McBoot for PS2, PSPgo for 240p PSX goodness. The Retroid Pocket 3+ for DC emulation, etc. I'm eating over here bruh, my plate is full.

Like my man Arnold said, "Stop whining."

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
The dick measuring contest ran its course. Sony and Microsoft are finally looking at console gaming for what it always was which is a business.

How far can you go into the red only to fuel your ego...we are coming to the end of that.
More like one of them threw in the towel because they continuously got their asses handed to them. It wasn’t by choice. The market spoke.

SlimySnake SlimySnake

All mega corps are “greedy cunts” in one way if another. Irrelevant to anything here because Microsoft’s particular flavor of greed helped nothing.

Besides, Nintendo is also greedy, yet, isn’t facing Xbox’s loss of fortune.

Last edited:
Because PC gaming is better.
Of course it’s better if they’re not even trying. Even though Xbox Live was ass because of the fees it was at least at one point an unique experience, I actually enjoyed cooking whole ass man-children in BR MLG rules in customs on Lockout and hearing their parents on the mic in the background storming in the room to shut off their television because of all the raging having to play against me.

Last edited:

Felessan

At this point there is literally no reason not to be on your PC exclusively with Steam installed.
Yeah, no reason to not be on PC. Overpriced GPUs and general low stability (WuKong benchmark crashed my drivers to the point that I had to spend an hour to make system work again properly) is for sure are not the reasons.

I'm sure everyone here has literally $2000 to spend freely on a modern custom-build PC.
And ample of time at hand to deal with all "issues" of PC gaming

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
And ample of time at hand to deal with all "issues" of PC gaming
Much less time than dealing with loading screens on games past PS5 gens.

crashed my drivers to the point that I had to spend an hour to make system work again properly) is for sure are not the reasons.
I never even heard of that kind of issue. How is it possible a game crash a driver that only a restart system would not do it?

Last edited:
Top Bottom