• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Mini: Exclusive to Canada | Dec 7th @ $99.99 (No internet, no GC support)

Are you sure it even has an SD-card slot? Or even more importantly, do you know you can homebrew it?

No SD card slot.

http://aussie-gamer.com/news/nintendo-wii-mini-does-not-connect-to-the-internet/

Wii mini is not much larger than a DVD – Nintendo have redesigned the way the console’s disc tray works, opting for a clamshell lid rather than an auto-loader as the Wii and Wii U contain. Again, this appears to be a pricing decision.
The power button has also been transformed into a toggle switch that lights up blue but the biggest change is the fact that Wii mini does not connect to the internet — there will be no online gaming, no downloading from the WiiWare Shop and no need for an SD Card (the console doesn’t have an SD Card slot).

No USB to Ethernet.

http://www.webpronews.com/wii-mini-confirmed-coming-to-canada-on-december-7-2012-11

Of course, the cheap $99 price tag means that Nintendo had to make some sacrifices. Most notably is the fact that the Wii U has no way to connect to the Internet. The Wi-Fi has been removed, and it can’t make use of a wired connection through a USB to ethernet port either.

That being said, the Wii Mini could be an attractive piece of hardware for those who only care for games. The lack of Internet is disappointing, but the Wii has a large number of great single-player games that latecomers will surely enjoy.

Just pure, simple, disc-based gaming. Just like how video games used to be.

drspeedy

Xo1Ejl.jpg

Wow. That console is made of pure beautiful! Add me to the list that would have loved to see a design choice like this one for WiiU at launch... would have really differentiated it from Wii 1. I know Nintendo is focused entirely on marketing the gamepad, but honestly the name WiiU and the unremarkable console design feel too similar for most casual observers/consumers.

Strangely enough, I had a great conversation last night with 5-6 folks that turned into a discussion about Wii vs. WiiU. Ages ranged from mid 50's to early 30's, all of us avid Wii fans (which surprised the heck out of me).

Only myself and one other person knew the WiiU wasn't just a gamepad that worked with an existing console, and when I mentioned that the the WiiU games were exclusive to the new console and wouldn't work on the old Wii, most everyone was somewhat confused. Comments ranged from "I saw that commercial, it looks like Wii, I thought they were the same thing." to "Really? $60? I'll just let the kids keep playing their 360 then...". It reminded me just how little the non-gaming public pays attention unless there's a new hat...

tl;dr: I like the different aesthetics. Also, looks mean a lot

The right size for vehicle installation, and the graphics won't look half bad on the tiny seat-back screens. Too bad they didn't release a smaller sensor bar for close quarters gaming...

zroid

Banned
It would have made more sense for them to retain Internet connectivity, but remove wi-fi and slap in a quick and dirty ethernet port. But Nintendo is anti-wired Internet for some reason.

I wonder if this thing even has an visible OS. Probably boots right to the disc?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
look at the design, it's gorgeous XD why not? it's $99, including WiiMote+ and Nun Chuk. nice addition to my Wii U actually :)

But... but your Wii U actually does everything this does and more? What.

mdtauk

Does anyone know if the interface for the Wii Mini is any different.

It seems to me like it should, at the very least in order to match the hardware colours of black and red.

But also to offer the simplest UI of Settings, and currently inserted Disc, without the channels - because most of them are online enabled, and online has been removed.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well, not like the Wii had a huge online impact in the first place, so losing it is no big loss.
Yes, I know of Wiiware shush.
The lack of Gamecube backwards compatibility to make up for the loss with Wiiware is a shame though.

Wow. This is definitely a kid-exclusive console. No internet is to protect said kiddies from teh dangers.

Can't fathom how they think it's a good idea to get rid of internet connectivity when the Wii is "the Netflix box" in a lot of households, though. Hope they emphasize, emphasize, emphasize that this is only a second Wii for the kids to play games on while others watch Netflix on the main Wii.
if these budget consumers wouldn't take the plunge on a $150 Wii, they also wouldn't be paying the monthly sub for Netflix.

Again. Canada Netflix = third rate US Netflix.

Yes Boss!

Fricken' amazing looking system. Best nintendo design since the Micro.

I absolutely love the simplicity of it just being an old-school style game-player. Put the disc in and go.

Really amazing.

beril

I don't know about Samsung, but I got to hear some 'average consumers' at Walmart the other day and they haven't got a clue what the new iPad is anymore. One guy wanted the HD iPad. Another wanted the iPad 2 with the Retina screen. When the Walmart worker told him there wasn't one, he seemed to be ok with it, but when that worker left he indignantly told his wife there 'sure as hell was, I saw it on TV'

There's really no 'selecting the one you want' in any case. Apple ruthlessly cuts down old lines when the new ones release. There's the current one, sometimes the last model, and that's it.

Doesn't Apple still sell the iPad 2, after replacing the the third model with a new one. They also skipped the numbering after 2, so right now there is the "iPad" and the "iPad 2" on the market. And the "iPad 2" is two generations older than the "iPad". That's a lot more confusing than any game consoles, but then again they're mostly back/forward compatible

Lack of Gamecube support makes sense, but the lack of WiFi? I mean, I can buy a WiFi dongle for $5 bucks. I get that most of the folks who buy this aren't going to care about online, but... it's just a stupid feature to cut out.

It really boggles my mind how Nintendo still can't get their shit together with online. I kind of wish they'd just get it over with and let Apple or Google partner up with or buy them.

Diffense

I like it...except for the lack of internet connectivity. But I doubt Nintendo is trying to sell me another Wii so what I think doesn't matter here.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Does anyone know if the interface for the Wii Mini is any different.

It seems to me like it should, at the very least in order to match the hardware colours of black and red.

But also to offer the simplest UI of Settings, and currently inserted Disc, without the channels - because most of them are online enabled, and online has been removed.
It should ... all channels use online, are dd , or use the sd slot. My guess is it skips the main menu after a First time setup.

If I had an income, I'd probably buy it and keep it sealed as a collectors item. I doubt this thing will leave canada.

Not surprised at the lack of online, our internet here is a train robbery.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Imagine how small they could make a GCN redesign with those mini-dvd discs and built-in Wavebird support (no ports).

Liberty4all

Banned
One thing not mentioned is that Canada is often used (in many industries) as a test market because of our smaller population, before rolling out globally. They may be testing the waters to see how this sells here first.

Britprog

Think Nintendo took the "Internet" out of redesign to stop people using it as a Netflix/Hulu device.

If you want these features they want consumers to buy wii u.

I bet the majority of exsiting casuals use wii for on demand stuff atm.

mackattk

I'd like to find an article that confirms the lack of a USB port. All I've found so far is lack of USB -> Ethernet support.

There really needs to be a usb port. Rock band/guitar hero uses those right?

I am really struggling trying to figure out why this thing even came out. They needed to just call it a Wii slim, or better yet, not even release it at all. At least the confusion will be limited to the Canadian market. If this thing had a worldwide release, people would be more confused than they already are about the Wii U.

No F-Zero GX support
(aka the Wii's best feature)
? D:

Also, is the Wii not small enough already? I always thought the look and size of it was perfect. If anything they should have made the Wii U look like this to differentiate it from the Wii.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
If they were to release a redesigned GCN they might have a shot at officially overtaking the Xbox in sales.

----

No F-Zero GX support
(aka the Wii's best feature)
? D:

Also, is the Wii not small enough already? I always thought the look and size of it was perfect. If anything they should have made the Wii U look like this to differentiate it from the Wii.
Well, this redesign is certainly a lot cheaper to make than the original Wii build. I figure this could be only $60-70 to produce.

This is certainly a strange choice considering the price. It's rather baffling that Wii Mini differs more aesthetically to Wii than Wii U does.

I really like the look of it.

Yes Boss!

It seems that this is being marketed at 2 audiences:

1) Hardcore and casual gamers/families that already own a Wii and want one for maybe the kids room, to use on the road, or maybe lend out or take to parties.

2) Extremely budget-conscious consumers that wouldn't generally care to jump in but do so due to the availability of such a low cost option - such as families still rocking out their PSOne or something (ex. my cousin who is now in 7th grade and has only had a GCN for a home console ever).

Given their target it makes sense to shave off every last penny from production which probably led to not having online. Generally, at $129 (w/ multiple bundles) anyone that wants a Wii probably already has one. This is for tail-end consumers that wouldn't already have one.

Well, as long as it can still do component video this thing will be HUGE in the collector market. Stand-alone console with impeccable Nintendo styling. It will do very well in the collector scene, for sure.

This belongs in any game collection.

Top Bottom