• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Mini: Exclusive to Canada | Dec 7th @ $99.99 (No internet, no GC support)

Yes Boss!

I'm sure you could get one of us friendly Canadian GAFers to purchase and ship it to you.

That is what I'll be doing...or heading to eBay. I'm pretty sure we will get this early next year, but I'm not willing to take the chance.

I can't think of a better-looking Nintendo console (maybe the Super Fami, maybe). This is right up there with the SP on the handheld side.

Cool. I haven't played much of the Wii and there are a bunch of games I have been meaning to play. Might get this, but I don't know if I care enough to actually do it. Although I'm not really aware of the prices on bundles that are out there otherwise.

MarkusRJR

Considering a Wii Remote and a nunchuck cost $70 here ($45+$25), it's just like paying $30 for a new Wii console. Do we know if it comes pre-installed with the Skyward Sword patch?

Oh and is there an official red classic controller pro? I'd love to get one to match the controller.

Here's another shot
OKYYe.jpg

I wonder if this thing even has an visible OS. Probably boots right to the disc?

probably not. it looks like nintendo is targeting a very specific market with this.

no OS. no internet connectivity. no BC/VC. this would be perfect for kids to use in their room. just hook the system up to the TV and pop a disc in and play it. nothing to confuse them like multiple channels or the ability to rack up a bill buying VC items.

just because the average gamer is 36 years old doesn't mean they're all the same age. this thing is supposed to be simple and it is.

Roto13

Guess why it doesn't have Internet?

They are going to close down the online service soon. O.O

The Wii online service is also used on the Wii U. :p

It's a neat little thing. I like the look of it. I wouldn't buy one, though. There's no point for someone like me to buy a GameCube-less Wii with the Wii U out, even if I didn't already have a Wii.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Yes. But that's not the point. What are the chances of the kid unwrapping at a perfect angle where he couldn't see the giant Wii lettering or the giant picture of the Wii on the box?

Uh... when it's 100% wrapped, the size might indicate to the kid that it's an ipad, until he opens it. In which case, yes, he will notice it is a Wii.

Seriously?

Boerseun

Banned
WiiWare and Virtual Console have so much awesome software between them. How the heck do you sell a Wii that has no access to all that content? That's just insane!

Is it confirmed that this thing will have no USB ports and will not support the Ehternet adaptor?

Pociask

I don't want to repeat myself or other arguments already made, but one more time:

Taking out Netflix is not good for budget conscious shoppers. Netflix + basic highspeed internet costs less than a cable bill. If Nintendo wants price conscious Netflix shoppers to migrate to the Wii U for TVii, they're crazy. Price conscious shoppers aren't concerned about managing their extensive DVR collection, their Hulu + shows, their Netflix shows, and the shows available on their cable package. If they are price conscious, they have OTA + dvd's and vhs's. Maybe Netflix. The Wii U can't play dvd's (yes, this is still a dumb decision), and the Tweeting feature of TVii apparently only works with content produced by cable companies, not with Netflix or OTA.

Taking out Virtual Console is not good for budget conscious shoppers. People are psyched when they learn they can download the great games they grew up with for $5-$10 bucks. Nintendo missed a huge opportunity to actually advertise this fact, but it has spread by word of mouth. The Wii is a great option for price conscious people who want to buy used disc games and VC games. This cuts out half of that.

Last, please stop making the argument that the high prices is necessary because look at the price of a Wiimote+ & Nunchuck. Nintendo makes a killing selling those pieces of plastic. They have manufactured tens of millions of them by now (didn't I see that they actually passed 100 million Wiimotes?). It is frankly outrageous how expensive they continue to be. The cost to manufacture a Wiimote+ & a nunchuck is not keeping the Wii Mini priced at $99. It just isn't.

Walmart has sold Wii's at 99 or less for two Christmases in a row now. Last year we know they took a loss on them - have we heard on this year? So Nintendo is either already or very close to selling a fully featured Wii (minus GC compatability) + a game + controllers for one hundred bucks. Now they've shrunk the insides, ripped out the online stuff, replaced the slot loader with a top loader, removed the SD cards, and are essentially selling a fancy disc-player that has a bluetooth receiver and an LED light bar, with some cables, and one full controller. I wouldn't expect it to cost that much more to manufacture than the Memorex DVD players you can get for $30, $20 on sale.

probably not. it looks like nintendo is targeting a very specific market with this.

no OS. no internet connectivity. no BC/VC. this would be perfect for kids to use in their room. just hook the system up to the TV and pop a disc in and play it. nothing to confuse them like multiple channels or the ability to rack up a bill buying VC items.

just because the average gamer is 36 years old doesn't mean they're all the same age. this thing is supposed to be simple and it is.

My 4 year old nephew knows how to get the Wii turned on and select the VC channel to play Donkey Kong. Kids are not complete morons. I also expect kids won't be happy when they go to play MKWii, see a pop up saying they need internet connectivity, and then find out that Nintendo sold a Wii that is incapable of playing games online.

Hell, you're right though, Nintendo can just wave a bright shiny object and distract them, they're all stupid.

The_Lump

Banned
No, I'd say it's just to make it as cheap as humanly possible in order to maximize profit on the time it has left on shelves.

Yep. They probably have alot of chips/hardware the want to shift. Good plan :)

Would love for them to release that blue/red wiimote/nunchuck separately....

actually it's almost worth buying the console just for that looking at the mote/nunchuck price!

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
I can deal without GC compability, but no SD card and no internet are kinda off-putting.

What Nintendo is saying is that Canadians are the only ones who can handle so much choice this holiday season. They have the smarts to distinguish between SKUs.

Thanks Nintendo. We are the smartest people on the planet so it's nice to have some recognition.

I don't get it either. Looking around at the Canadian online retail outlets, it seems like the older $99.00 Wii core packs have been removed from just about everywhere. The older Wii model only seems to be part of bundle packs now. This new Wii Mini seems to have replaced the older revision as the new permanent $99.00 model in Canada.

From a manufacturing point of view, it makes perfect sense. No SD card reader, no WiFi, lack of a front loading disc reader. This machine must cost peanuts to produce for Nintendo. As I mentioned before, my only theory is that they are testing out sales in Canada, to see if people will bite on this over the $149.99 model before they consider releasing this in other parts of the world.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So if you buy this you cant even move your saves to a wiiu because it has no sd card slot. Genius.

Canadians, if you want a wii grab one of those bundles. Don't fall prey to this top-loading short skirt wearing seductress.

No internet connectivity is insane. Though I guess there are plenty of Wii titles that don't use online and most of the online communities of Wii games w/ online are going to fade away soon anyway with the generational shift. The Netflix thing could be an issue though.

I'm guessing they're releasing only in Canada because they want to test the waters?

Tim-E

My 4 year old nephew knows how to get the Wii turned on and select the VC channel to play Donkey Kong. Kids are not complete morons. I also expect kids won't be happy when they go to play MKWii, see a pop up saying they need internet connectivity, and then find out that Nintendo sold a Wii that is incapable of playing games online.

LOL If you think Nintendo is going to release a console that can't play it's second best-selling game.

I want one. I never got another Wii after Last Story and Xenoblade came out.
Looks like a good price to play a couple games I missed out on.

Also, love the design. Nintendo is after the people who have still been buying and playing PS2 games this gen.

I don't want to repeat myself or other arguments already made, but one more time:

Taking out Netflix is not good for budget conscious shoppers. Netflix + basic highspeed internet costs less than a cable bill. If Nintendo wants price conscious Netflix shoppers to migrate to the Wii U for TVii, they're crazy. Price conscious shoppers aren't concerned about managing their extensive DVR collection, their Hulu + shows, their Netflix shows, and the shows available on their cable package. If they are price conscious, they have OTA + dvd's and vhs's. Maybe Netflix. The Wii U can't play dvd's (yes, this is still a dumb decision), and the Tweeting feature of TVii apparently only works with content produced by cable companies, not with Netflix or OTA.

Theres a lot. And I do mean a lot. Of price consious shoppers who don't pay for additional TV services. More likely to have a light internet service than Netflix ofc; but Wii doesn't do that much online to make it a neccessity.

According to wiki Netflix has 23m users in the US. Thats a lot, but then they can get a Wii, and according to a few in the thread - already have one.

Netflix is hardly something everyone has.

Taking out Virtual Console is not good for budget conscious shoppers. People are psyched when they learn they can download the great games they grew up with for $5-$10 bucks. Nintendo missed a huge opportunity to actually advertise this fact, but it has spread by word of mouth. The Wii is a great option for price conscious people who want to buy used disc games and VC games. This cuts out half of that.

Thats manipulating things a bit. People will buy this for new games; of which they can get some pretty great bargain bin prices these days.

Last, please stop making the argument that the high prices is necessary because look at the price of a Wiimote+ & Nunchuck. Nintendo makes a killing selling those pieces of plastic. They have manufactured tens of millions of them by now (didn't I see that they actually passed 100 million Wiimotes?). It is frankly outrageous how expensive they continue to be. The cost to manufacture a Wiimote+ & a nunchuck is not keeping the Wii Mini priced at $99. It just isn't.

Your arguing against youself now.
Bundling those controls makes it PERFECT for the price conscious.

Also am not even going to quote your rather ridiculous DVD assertion. But its wrong.

Am sure you can get the Wii pretty cheap at times, but whats to stop Walmart selling these at a loss? They could sell it even cheaper for the same loss! With controls bundled in.

I want one. I never got another Wii after Last Story and Xenoblade came out.
Looks like a good price to play a couple games I missed out on.

Also, love the design. Nintendo is after the people who have still been buying and playing PS2 games this gen.

This. And also just people who never bit the Wii in the first place. Its ready out the box for a bit of Skyward Sword.
If it came to the US I'd expect a time limited Skyward Sword bundle actually.

donny2112

Oh. No internet connectivity means that you can't later transfer your saves from this Wii Mini to a proper Wii U, either. Old-school all the way here. :lol

.la1n

Canada only and they removed internet access? Pass. You can find an original Wii relatively easy used for around that price with GC / Internet support.

Tim-E

Oh. No internet connectivity means that you can't later transfer your saves from this Wii Mini to a proper Wii U, either. Old-school all the way here. :lol

How many times do you guys need to hear this: The people buying a Wii in 2012 do not care about features like this.

Seik

Banned
So the rumors were true.

Good news, but I'll pass, since I already have a 1st gen Wii. No internet, no SD and no GC bc are a lot of essentials to me since I use homebrew and have a GC collection.

But hey, I understand it'll be way more accessible to some that wanted one.

One thing I'm wondering here is that: Are they releasing this Mini almost at the same time as the Wii U to make people realize the Wii U is an actual console and not just a controller?

My guess is yes . So many people in my entourage still don't know that its a console, it blows my mind.

Top Bottom