• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NateDrake

Anyone pre-order for in-store pickup from Best Buy before? If I'm reading their online policies correctly, it appears that on Sunday the online store is going to charge my card for my purchase, and all I'll need to do is bring my credit card as proof of purchase to the physical store to pick up the item. Is that how it goes? Seems like if that's how it's done, there's not a good chance they'd sell our pre-ordered Wii Us to someone else since technically they're already sold and charged for.

They better charge it at midnight because I want to get my system at the midnight launch.

BY2K

Membero Americo
3 Days!

3 DAYS!

iiEGcr4nBeGwK.gif

japtor

Very true.

Which leads me to a question that I don't think has been asked and anyone that can answer this please do.

The Wara Wara Plaza when you boot up the system is suppose to show various icons of games and comments from people taken from the game's Miiverse discussion page. What is suppose to determine what games show?

All games that are released? Games pushed and promoted by Nintendo and appear at random? Games that fit game interest you select in your account? Games you've already played on your system?

Do we have information regarding this? I don't recall from the videos that have come out in English and didn't read the Japanese translation.
I think they mentioned it in one of the recent NDs (but not most recent one) with Bill Trinen. I forget how the games are selected (I think play popularity but that's a guess) while the random comments it shows are selected by them from the games' message feeds iirc.

guek

Banned
Scribblenauts Unlimited is native 1080p, and Rayman Legends would have been too if it weren't delayed. I believe that's it, unless there's a 1080p launch eShop game I don't know about. All other retail games are 720p at best.

I'm going to assume the OS runs at 1080p.

When I played rayman earlier today at a demo kiosk, I could not tell it was 720p instead of 1080. I scrutinized as much as I could, but man that game looks friggin CLEAN.

Medalion

Banned
When I played rayman earlier today at a demo kiosk, I could not tell it was 720p instead of 1080. I scrutinized as much as I could, but man that game looks friggin CLEAN.

I keep hearing reports that Rayman Legends is 1080p, maybe why

I called the Wal-Mart I reserved my Wii U at earlier today and they recently decided to no longer be a 24hrs location BUT they did say that they open at 5am and the layaway dept will be open at that time for those who reserved Wii U (and I guess for those who also want to buy one outright too).

It is 1080p (and 60 fps). Eatchildren was saying Rayman would have been another 1080p game at launch, if it had made launch. the delay hasn't impacted it's resolution or anything.

it's the best looking 2D platformer yet. I was pleased to see an obvious bump in quality over Legends. the 3D elements blend in really well with the 2D levels.

Odd question, but is there any word on if resolution scaling is a system wide function like on 360 or a game-by-game function like on PS3? Curious because while my primary TV supports all resolutions, my family's main TV is an older HDTV that only does 480p and 1080i, no 720P. On the PS3 this causes some problems, any game that doesn't have a 1080 mode can only run in 480p. :/

Medalion

Banned
Odd question, but is there any word on if resolution scaling is a system wide function like on 360 or a game-by-game function like on PS3? Curious because while my primary TV supports all resolutions, my family's main TV is an older HDTV that only does 480p and 1080i, no 720P. On the PS3 this causes some problems, any game that doesn't have a 1080 mode can only run in 480p. :/

IT seems to vary from game to game

NSMBU supports up to 1080p despite being 720p native
meanwhile Nintendo Land says 720p is maximum

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's all just scaling anyway. Either the Wii U scales it internally, or the 1080 TV scales it. Better image quality will depend on whichever does the scaling...better.

It's all just scaling anyway. Either the Wii U scales it internally, or the 1080 TV scales it. Better image quality will depend on whichever does the scaling...better.

If the console scales it, it's scaling the native 720 image to 1080. However, my parent's TV just rejects the 720p signal and would scale the 480p image, which looks rough.

Zing

Banned
For the thousandth time, it's the new Wii peripheral that turns all your Wii games into HD games.
I noticed that the Wii U posters at Walmart actually say something along the lines of "ALL NEW SYSTEM!" as if Nintendo finally realized that there is definitely going to be confusion that this is simply another Wii peripheral.

guek

Banned

How does this happen automatically? Like, isn't the upscaled signal from the console set by the user, meaning as far as the TV is concerned, it's getting a native 1080p image?

If the console scales it, it's scaling the native 720 image to 1080. However, my parent's TV just rejects the 720p signal and would scale the 480p image, which looks rough.

I still think it would have been better for everyone if our standards just went up in factors of two, like 480p→960p→1920p. What madmen thought it'd be a good idea to clumsily resize pictures with guaranteed artifacts due to uneven pixel math?

edit: QA would have also been cheaper, since PS3 and 360 would likely only need to support the first two, and then they'd have a huge new resolution increase to boast about for the generation following!

Zing

Banned
Hmm. Wonder how big the file size will be for nsmbu, and even if its small, will the servers be so slammed that it takes hours to download even on a good connection.

This actually should be a serious concern for you "digital only" folks. I remember how extremely slow the Nintendo Shop was on the Wii. It seemed to take forever just to download a small game.

I still think it would have been better for everyone if our standards just went up in factors of two, like 480p→960p→1920p. What madmen thought it'd be a good idea to clumsily resize pictures with guaranteed artifacts due to uneven pixel math?
The standards are based around analog broadcast TV, intended for display on CRTs, which don't need such things as "integer scaling".

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
How does this happen automatically? Like, isn't the upscaled signal from the console set by the user, meaning as far as the TV is concerned, it's getting a native 1080p image?

If you send a sub-1080p signal to the TV it will upscale it to 1080p. If it's unscaled on the Wii then yeah, the TV is getting a native 1080p signal, which in the case of bad TV scaling should result in better image quality. But it's still scaling, just the Wii U or the TV is doing it.

zinder

I know this is a pretty random/hard-to-answer question, but I'll try anyway.

Does anyone know if the Skylanders Giants portal that I own on my 360 is compatible with Wii U? I know the Skylanders themselfs are, but not sure about the portal (it uses USB connection). Was thinking about selling/giving away my 360 since the only use it has is for my little bro to play Skylanders on it. The Wii U version seems sweet because of the GamePad (I'm guessing the game is compatible with Off-TV play, right?).

Scum

Had mine pre-oredered for ages now. Picking up ZombiU Premium plus NintendoLand and NSMBU. Which reminds me. Does anyone know if I'm entitled to that 10% promotion thingy with the ZombiU bundle?

bluehat9

Called my gamestop yesterday. Told them I had a preorder and asked if they knew if they were getting enough systems to cover them and he just said "uhh...maybe...I think so." Then I asked what time they opened on Sunday and he said 11am like I was a crazy person for thinking they might open even a minute earlier.

Sunday is going to be great!

Called my gamestop yesterday. Told them I had a preorder and asked if they knew if they were getting enough systems to cover them and he just said "uhh...maybe...I think so." Then I asked what time they opened on Sunday and he said 11am like I was a crazy person for thinking they might open even a minute earlier.

Sunday is going to be great!

My gamestop seemed to think they were doing an early open, but weren't sure of the time when I called on Sunday.

Eusis

I don't think any of them are in the end. I thought it was said Nintendo asked them not to do to safety concerns.
Would be nice if they at least had a "launch morning" at 8 AM or whatever. Seems that'd probably be safe in any place with normal sunrise/sunset times. I wonder how much of it has to do with not wanting parents dragging kids out to get it at 12 AM... or how much it is so ANYONE going doesn't have to worry about mugging in less savory areas.

I know this is a pretty random/hard-to-answer question, but I'll try anyway.

Does anyone know if the Skylanders Giants portal that I own on my 360 is compatible with Wii U? I know the Skylanders themselfs are, but not sure about the portal (it uses USB connection). Was thinking about selling/giving away my 360 since the only use it has is for my little bro to play Skylanders on it. The Wii U version seems sweet because of the GamePad (I'm guessing the game is compatible with Off-TV play, right?).

I got my Skylanders WiiU coming in tomorrow.

Supposedly the portal is a completely new portal for the WiiU that is wired, don't know if that means the xbox 360 one wont work. Also it does support off TV play.

BIG_V-G-V

Banned
Figured I'd call the best buy I have a deluxe preordered for store pick up at and see what's the deal w/ sunday. CS rep said that they're only receiving units to cover preorders and that they will store them in the back w/ names attached to each box pertaining to each order. Also said no midnight launch

Downhome

As I said before, I have my Wii U system and NSMBU preordered and fully paid off at Game Stop in store, and will be picking it up on Sunday once they open. I also have ZombiU preordered at newegg at the special $47.99 price, but I'm not sure I can wait the however many days it may be before I get that one.

I'm considering canceling my newegg preorder for ZombiU, and just trying to switch my NSMBU preorder at Game Stop to ZombiU and then buying NSMBU as a digital download once I get my system home and hooked up.

Is that possible to do for preorders at Game Stop? It has been a long time since i preordered anything there so I'm not sure.

zinder

I got my Skylanders WiiU coming in tomorrow.

Supposedly the portal is a completely new portal for the WiiU that is wired, don't know if that means the xbox 360 one wont work. Also it does support off TV play.

Alright, thanks. I guess I could try plugging my current portal to Wii U and see if it lights up. That doesn't really mean nothing, and it's kinda hard to try without the game itself. Oh well, will just wait until the official release.

guek

Banned
If you send a sub-1080p signal to the TV it will upscale it to 1080p. If it's unscaled on the Wii then yeah, the TV is getting a native 1080p signal, which in the case of bad TV scaling should result in better image quality. But it's still scaling, just the Wii U or the TV is doing it.

Right, but to see which one is better, you'd have to actively switch the wii u to 720p, correct?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

Yeah, but you can't engage no-overscan mode on a TV that's upscaling a 720p signal. (Or at least, you can't on my Panny plasma.) So ideally, you'll want the Wii U (or your receiver) to do all of the upscaling, so the TV receives the signal at 1080p.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
So are all Gamestops not having a midnight release or does it depend on your area/preorders?

Picking up a Basic Set with NSMBU and waiting for Newegg to ship ZombiU. Also considering Scribblenauts now :/

Li Kao

Hey guys am I the only euro-guy that plan to import an US Wii U sometime ? Not for a very honorable reason, very ocd-ish... 50hz virtual console is a no go if I have a say. And if by chance one day Atlus is working on Wii U, well you don't want an euro console in that case.

So there are absolutely no online retailer shipping internationnally that still have a stock ? So far I'm guessing your answer, but...
Which online retailer shipping blablabla should I keep an eye on in case of restock ?

Yes, not a profound post, just gained by the release hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom